• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adult Swim Games is becoming the next big indie-friendly publisher [Updated for 2016]

shaowebb

Are these all available on steam? I want to play deaths gambit? How about on ps4?

Some of these games aren't launched yet anywhere. They'll be hitting PC first for sure. I know Ghost Song is steam listed currently. Death's Gambit and Rain World are not ...yet.

Tidied up the OP with "Released" and "In development" sections, added links to Steam pages and game sites, and release dates for games

Good update to the OP. I was aware of most of these games, but it's nice to see estimated release windows and other info without digging for it.

Oblitus looks like a solid purchase. Ideally a game like that would suit me best on a console platform or even handheld, but it looks as if it has little chance of happening, if my limited googling is indicative of anything (or the devs are simply extremely quiet). I'll read up on it and will likely add it to my Steam library before the night is over.

These guys and Devolver have been impressing me lately. Good call.
Yes! I celebrate darn near their entire catalogs in Steam. Top drawer!

CJ's doing good work.
I always like when CJ spills on some updates during the P1P podcasts.

You can play the original version here
http://games.adultswim.com/westerado-action-online-game.html

It's excellent, ended up on our 50 Best Indies of 2013 list

And the version we're putting out on Steam in April is like a deluxe, totally blown-out edition. It. Is. So. Good.

But I may be a little biased.
I played some of flash and loved it. When I got word of the full release, I figured I would hold off. Sounds like a good idea.

You forgot the very best game of 2013 nobody played:

Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe

Listen to this great music.

Adult Swim Games has my interest after some really fascinating releases.

Fantastic game. Play it regularly on my laptop. I'm not very good at it, though.

Holly shit, i didn't know they published Volgarr. Maybe not on xbox and thats why i never saw it. But still thats one hell of a game and one of my top games of last year. I got all the achievements accept for two and have even started speed running it. Play this game people!

iUJGl4tmaTcro.gif
Indeed! ASGs get regular play from me on Steam.

SuperPac

I always like when CJ spills on some updates during the P1P podcasts.

I have never spilled anything that hasn't been announced. Wouldn't want to spoil any fun surprises!

I played some of flash and loved it. When I got word of the full release, I figured I would hold off. Sounds like a good idea.

It will be well worth it. The Double-Barreled edition is amazing stuff.

Rembrandt

Banned
They have been building an amazing roster. no more super robot unicorn for them. i bet I'll see a similar article on a gaming site in the next couple of days.

Riptwo

if my game doesn't end up on consoles I'll leave showbiz for good.
I'd be all over a console version. I've been playing the beta on a Surface Pro 3, and the throttling goes nuts whenever I try to play a game. I'm ultra pumped to play it through properly, one way or another!

kevin1025

Banned
All of the games in the "In Development" part? I want them, real bad. They are definitely one of the top indie publishers right now, they have a great eye for games that are memorable.

Jobbs

Banned
I'd be all over a console version. I've been playing the beta on a Surface Pro 3, and the throttling goes nuts whenever I try to play a game. I'm ultra pumped to play it through properly, one way or another!

the throttling goes nuts? you mean it runs shitty?

I didn't know Adult Swim had picked up Ghost Song.

Congrats to Jobbs for closing that deal!

Good man.

shank you :)

Ditto, had no clue that AS picked up Ghost Song. Way to go! And I never ever knew about Rise & Shine, that looks amazing. Adding that to my radar and coverage, for sure.

Update: And Rise & Shine will be at the Adult Swim booth at PAX East.... can't wait.

You forgot the very best game of 2013 nobody played:

Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe

Listen to this great music.

Adult Swim Games has my interest after some really fascinating releases.

I played it! It was one my top ten list for the year!

I even got all the achievements... but one... i didn't want to just die a bazillion times to get it.

Ditto, had no clue that AS picked up Ghost Song. Way to go! And I never ever knew about Rise & Shine, that looks amazing. Adding that to my radar and coverage, for sure.

Update: And Rise & Shine will be at the Adult Swim booth at PAX East.... can't wait.
Be sure to check out Rain World too, it's so good. The backer alpha was already awesome, and the PAX build will have four regions and all the recent additions

CamHostage

Well Rain World is coming to PS Vita and PSN, and the devs have hinted at "big console news", so I wouldn't be surprised if more games get console releases as well

That's the developer bringing Rain World over themselves though, isn't it? (Actually, AS Games' presence in promoting or representing its titles is in its own way quiet; same thing with Volgarr, the official web page doesn't even mention AS even though the Steam release is repped by ASG; the Xbox One version seems to be self-published, I'm not sure where ASG fits in?)

I'm talking Adult Swim Games actually making a partnership to bring its lot to consoles, or a console. I just feel like that would be a nice, cool thing to see real big on an E3 wall with the great slate they have.

Another option would be launching an app on web-friendly consoles, of which I think they all are, for playing a host of their web games in HTML5-based form. (Though unfortunately even their newest stuff is Flash-based on the website so it sounds like that's a lot of conversion; on the flipside, a good portion of their games are button-based instead of mouse-driven so that's adaptable.) Their full-spec games like Oblitus and Zenzizenzic would still be produced as downloadable products, but they're launching new web games all the time, and getting those approved as downloadable games (especially the licensed product, which often comes out quick to capitalize on a phenomenon) would take forever even if they tried to give them out as F2P. One app (or maybe two apps, since AS Games and Cartoon Network Games exist in tandem, I don't think CN Games has the same cache of quality but it does have some name brands) that is constantly spitting out new web-applet games to play on your TV would be a good little offering.

That's the developer bringing Rain World over themselves though, isn't it? (Actually, AS Games' presence in promoting or representing its titles is in its own way quiet; same thing with Volgarr, the official web page doesn't even mention AS even though the Steam release is repped by ASG; the Xbox One version seems to be self-published, I'm not sure where ASG fits in?)

I'm talking Adult Swim Games actually making a partnership to bring its lot to consoles, or a console. I just feel like that would be a nice, cool thing to see real big on an E3 wall with the great slate they have.
It seems the console versions are happening because of the publisher

When they announced the partnership with AS, devs said:
They are 100% here to help us take Rain World to the next level, AKA we can now officially announce that Rain World is coming to PSN, PS Vita and well beyond! Rejoice!
And when I asked about Rain World coming to PS4:
There is a bunch of big console news coming up, but that's all Adult Swim publisher business stuff to announce when they have it all worked out. We're just focused on building the damn thing!

SuperPac

We published the Steam version, that's all. We don't fit into the XBO version.

Certainly we have thought about console, and I think it would be cool as well. Nothing to announce yet on that.

Another option would be launching an app on web-friendly consoles, of which I think they all are, for playing a host of their web games in HTML5-based form. (Though unfortunately even their newest stuff is Flash-based on the website so it sounds like that's a lot of conversion; on the flipside, a good portion of their games are button-based instead of mouse-driven so that's adaptable.) Their full-spec games like Oblitus and Zenzizenzic would still be produced as downloadable products, but they're launching new web games all the time, and getting those approved as downloadable games (especially the licensed product, which often comes out quick to capitalize on a phenomenon) would take forever even if they tried to give them out as F2P. One app (or maybe two apps, since AS Games and Cartoon Network Games exist in tandem, I don't think CN Games has the same cache of quality but it does have some name brands) that is constantly spitting out new web-applet games to play on your TV would be a good little offering.

Our last Flash release was about a year ago, and there's little interest for us to make those exact versions playable on any other platform. As with Westerado and Super House of Dead Ninjas we have brought games over to Steam with expanded content where it's made the most sense and with games we think Steam users will like. That's not really true of a lot of the games we did on Flash where the content might be a little thin to charge money for them and it's not worth the work involved to port them. There are a handful of what I'd say are "worthy" games. Some of those Flash games will make it to additional platforms. If there are any in particular that you're referring to, let me know. :)

Elixist

ghost song keeps looking better, daaam. day 1, my most anticipated on that list.

also Rain world looks amazing, but im not fully convinced it will all come together for that one. fingers crossed.

ghost song keeps looking better, daaam. day 1, my most anticipated on that list.

also Rain world looks amazing, but im not fully convinced it will all come together for that one. fingers crossed.
Why not? I'm somewhat biased of course.
The backer alpha was already fun and that was merely a small demo. The devs have been documenting their progress in detail for years, watching it come together has been part of the appeal.

Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe, Super House of Dead Ninjas and Volgarr the Viking are outstanding. All three of them are some of my favorites in their respective genre and as a publisher Adult Swim Games clearly knows what's up with how they consistently sign up very promising looking projects. Can't wait for Ghost Song and Rain World.

I loved the flash version of Westerado, and I've been looking forward to Rain World since I first saw it. Hell, all of their upcoming releases look like something I'd play. They do good work for sure.

drotahorror

Volgarr the Viking is one of my favorites from them. Super House of Dead Ninja is sick too.

That Death's Gambit looks so good. A couple more do as well, I didn't know Adult Swim got those (Ghost Song, Rain World). Rise and Shine looks like UbiArt Framework

Top Bottom