• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advance Wars Remaster releases on 3 December

ranmafan

That’s a hugely disappointing delay for me, especially with the vague date of spring 2022. Early 2022 is going to be way too packed with games all coming out at once. Sigh and I was so looking forward to playing this for Christmas

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Delayed to Spring 2022.

Good. This is one of my favorite franchises and I wasn't too impressed with the initial trailer. Please refine the aesthetics more and make sure this is a quality release. Add in more new content while you're at it too! Thanks.

Shifty1897

This was my most anticipated game this year.
not like this GIF

Last edited:

BlackTron

Good. This is one of my favorite franchises and I wasn't too impressed with the initial trailer. Please refine the aesthetics more and make sure this is a quality release. Add in more new content while you're at it too! Thanks.

I hope I'm wrong but I doubt this is about the art style. It's more likely just about finishing the thing.

mcjmetroid

I'm in the camp that doesn't like this art style at all but am pretty sure the game will turn out alright.

Hopefully there is a lot of extra content and variations in the looks of the maps.

Lunarorbit

I think I must have read this thread yesterday cause someone was just wondering why we hadn't heard anything about this game since the beginning of the year.

Playing the apocalyptic Advanced Wars right now actually. I want to call it portrait of ruin but I think that's a gba castlevania

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand the criticism of the graphics. It looks exactly as I remember it with my rose-colored glasses. I also think that apart from the lousy resolution and sound quality, which is common with the hardware of the GameBoy Advance (and can be fixed to a certain extent by emulation), the optics of the games have aged pretty well. The look of the remake underlines the style and vibe the originals perfectly though.

carlosrox

Banned
No new thread?

Probably better for me, actually. Could stand to save a little money/time and get it another time.

What's wrong with the art style?

Last edited:
No Nintendo franchise dies even if it sells badly ... it is just parked waiting for better times or a period where they have no ideas for new ip
Look, I know we don't want to give up on a new F-Zero, but it's competing with Kid Icarus for "longest timeframe between Nintendo sequels", man. :(

Anyway, my take: Nice to see Advance Wars back. Giving the characters more animations is all good but the style could dial down the "Live2D VTuber" aspect a bit.

I think the reason people find the "plasticy" artstyle jarring has several possible explanations:
1) Actual army figurines you may have gotten as children do not resemble these chibis. Of course, the "Army Men" games and "Small Soldiers" are way closer to actual army toys for kids people in America are familiar with. Perhaps "Knockoff G.I. Joe" may had been preferable if they wanted the plastic toy look, but it would be too drastic an art deviation to the classic Advance Wars.

I feel like Advance Wars' style update should have resembled western WWII propaganda cartoons - particular the infamous Private Snafu;
You can kinda tell in the way the soldiers animate that they might be TRYING to go for that, but the animations are not quite having the slapstick umph they should just yet .That's because...

2) The 3D animations look kind of unpolished as of the previous trailer. I'm remembering the scenes with the Mech infantry in particular; the way they fired their rocket launchers looked like flash tweening, which is silly in a 3D animation. It can definitely be improved upon. Maybe they should get the guys who worked on Batallion Wars to handle this, as I think for whatever flaws those might have had, they did the "western war cartoon in 3D" style a lot better.

3) The anime artstyle COs and their tall, lanky builds clash with the chibi soldiers in a more obvious way when they're portrayed in two completely different artstyles. You can no longer imagine Andy or Sami in the same screenspace as the infantry they command. This was not as obvious in the GBA versions, because there the artstyle was dictated by the hardware and screen space limitations, and COs rarely animated outside of face portraits.

4) Remember Days of Ruin? Even though that was a major tonal change from the previous Advance Wars games, the art style didn't deviate that far from the previous entries. I can't imagine them trying to do a DoR remake that looks like THIS, though. It'd be so wrong!

Bummer about the delay, but I hope that means the graphical issues are being ironed out.

Sleepwalker

If I hated Let's Go Pikachu and Sword, any chance I like Diamond/Pearl?

Its a full on remake with qol updates, not a reimagining like lets go were, so no motion throws or "mini game" to catch pokemon. Regular battles are back and theres no "gimmick" that wasnt in the original games.

The letsgo versions looked better graphically tho.

If you liked diamond and pearl back then or any of the ds games, then you probably will like this

Top Bottom