• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After one day my Android game has had more customers from bittorrent than Google

Because the Android market sucks for new apps unless you're some huge well known developer. It used to be a lot better but now if you are relatively unknown it's difficult to get your app noticed which is why I suggested you get your app reviewed by some places to get the name out there. There was a lot of discussion about this when Google changed how the market worked. It now favors popular apps and/or apps Google wants you to try. When Android first came about it was all about new interesting apps and the little guy actually had a chance to have his/her app noticed...now not so much.
Interesting, in a way it makes sense, Google can prevent the casual customer from seeing terrible games and apps and thus leave them with a better experience. The downside of course would be that small guys have a tough time "breaking through" and the market stagnates.

Xanathus

Wait, why are people seeing this (putting up a *free* game on TPB and getting more hits compared to Google's store) as a bad thing? Considering that the free version is making money off ads, there's absolutely nothing wrong and in fact it's a good thing.

kinggroin

Banned
Cheers, I'm actually working on my trailer at the moment, and was thinking of holding back on submitting to blogs and stuff before I have that for promotion.

Shoot me a pm. My buddy is an editor for a smaller android site, and he will gladly review. This early in the game, an exposure will help.

Interesting, in a way it makes sense, Google can prevent the casual customer from seeing terrible games and apps and thus leave them with a better experience. The downside of course would be that small guys have a tough time "breaking through" and the market stagnates.

Basically. Also, another thing you can do is post to some Android forums which usually have some sort "Beta test" forum. Also XDA development forum is massive and you can usually get tons of people to test your app. Look at the view count of the thread on my most recent app...tons of traffic through there...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1528923

scy

Wait, why are people seeing this (putting up a *free* game on TPB and getting more hits compared to Google's store) as a bad thing? Considering that the free version is making money off ads, there's absolutely nothing wrong and in fact it's a good thing.

Read title.

Post.

As an outside observer, the Android market just seems like a clusterfuck of fail. This thread and the one yesterday or day before in the OT about iOs/Android tells me enough.

Somnid

OP I'd have loved to see your experiment if you added "FULL GAME" to the name or something. While some people seem to belabor the fact that these people aren't technically pirates they certainly don't know that. It seems they were trolling Pirate Pay for stuff to pirate which is fairly disgusting. The OP's idea is pretty solid, any actual players will feed his ad revenue, using Pirate Bay as more of a distribution platform.

jorma

is now taking requests
It seems like TPB is a good way to distribute your creative works. You are not the first one to discover this, but perhaps the first one in regards to software. I'm pretty sure that plenty of movies, books and music has already been successfully released there.

Congratulations =)

well they didnt download it from The Legitimate Customer Bay if you know what i mean

If i know what you mean, then yes they did.

OP I'd have loved to see your experiment if you added "FULL GAME" to the name or something. While some people seem to belabor the fact that these people aren't technically pirates they certainly don't know that. It seems they were trolling Pirate Pay for stuff to pirate which is fairly disgusting. The OP's idea is pretty solid, any actual players will feed his ad revenue, using Pirate Bay as more of a distribution platform.
Well it is not explicitly clear that they are downloading the free version. The file is called "TotalPoolFree.apk" but the link is to the paid version on the store. It would probably have been more meaningful if I'd not been confusing one way or the other.

I suspect that most people who've downloaded it are expecting some sort of cracked apk, given the other torrents you find in that section. But that is just speculation.

Nah it's a devious attempt, you are the one being cynical.

either way it got me to download it. The free version that is. I'm mildy pleased and may consider getting the paid version. I do have a question though. Am I required to give you one those totally unbiased 5 star reviews like DL, Neil, and Martin did?

either way it got me to download it. The free version that is. I'm mildy pleased and may consider getting the paid version. I do have a question though. Am I required to give you one those totally unbiased 5 star reviews like DL, Neil, and Martin did?
I have no idea what you're talking about!

I'm surprised no one has commented in the torrent negatively actually.

mclem

why are we still calling them pirates when the torrent was provided by the developer?

That's an interesting question. The torrent didn't *claim* to be the full paid version - but did the downloaders assume it was purely by virtue of where they got it from?

Attempted piracy is - of course - no crime, but it raises interesting questions about the motivation of the downloader.

mclem

Of Lotto Australia?

I don't know...if only I had an app for that, I'll just search Google Play for "total pool", that should find it...bingo! Wait why is this shitty pool game showing up?

On which note, I do have to agree with you that it probably ought to prioritise searching titles over searching description text. Can you get yours to show up higher by tweaking some of the search options?

acm2000

downloading to try now, not liked any of the android pool games yet (although not tried virtual pool)

both android and ios markets, its all about being noticed, shouldve called the game "Tits feat. Pool" and you would be a millionaire

edit: liking it alot, alot the AA makes no difference on a 4.2" qhd screen lol

chiablo

The open source nature of Android breeds piracy, and thus a dead app marketplace.

Android gaming essentially does not exist.

edit: liking it alot, alot the AA makes no difference on a 4.2" qhd screen lol
You have to restart the game from cold (force close or reboot) for the AA to be active. That should be clearer.

The open source nature of Android breeds piracy, and thus a dead app marketplace.

Android gaming essentially does not exist.
I think you may be taking things a little far. You can't just wish away all of the extremely successful games that are out there.

acm2000

You have to restart the game from cold (force close or reboot) for the AA to be active. That should be clearer.

I think you may be taking things a little far. You can't just wish away all of the extremely successful games that are out there.

ah ha, thanks, should probably mention that in the game :) will play it more when i get home, my fingers are too big for precise aiming tho lol

acm2000

The Friendly Monster: game crashes at the same point in challenge mode for me

exception clash name - java.lang.arrayindexoutofboundexception
source - optionbar.java
source class com.friendlymonster.totalpool.hud.optionbar
line number 232

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
My point is 1 legit download from Google Play is worth more than 100 pirated downloads.

If your free app is ad driven there is a very good chance the legit Google Play customer will play your game, thus leading to ad exposure. As for the pirated copies there is a very good chance they will never even get installed let alone played, thus no ad exposure. Also there is also a good possibility a lot of your downloads are international and whatever ad service you got may or may not even count certain countries for ad views.
Yep, horrible practice. Especially when you look at why Android was developed in the first place and with what intentions -_-

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Android is the land of piracy in Italy.

tranciful

People in this thread suck at reading. Neat experiment, OP.

Curious, how many of these extremely successful games are Android exclusive or at least started off on Android? As an iOS user, I've never heard of any big Android games that I can't get yet. I guess what I'm wondering: are there any home grown super success stories on Android? Or is it just that super successful iOS games obviously do alright on Android (because I've heard of a few games that are successful like that)?

I'm an iOS developer and the Android marketplace is reserved for "if I have the time/money, I'll consider it"

Post your Google Play downloads after this thread was made!

Will do, I only get updates daily so can't check at the moment, the torrent has certainly slowed though.
htc sensation xe running 2.3.4 btw, if that helps
Cheers, it was my assets not being in sync between my free and paid projects, I've submitted a fix to the store so that should update within half an hour.

Anyone with the torrent already has an outdated version with 3 nasty bugs.
Curious, how many of these extremely successful games are Android exclusive or at least started off on Android? As an iOS user, I've never heard of any big Android games that I can't get yet. I guess what I'm wondering: are there any home grown super success stories on Android? Or is it just that super successful iOS games obviously do alright on Android (because I've heard of a few games that are successful like that)?

I'm an iOS developer and the Android marketplace is reserved for "if I have the time/money, I'll consider it"
That's totally true, it's hard to find a hit Android game isn't a hit on iOS. Android gaming is certainly a joke compared to iOS but to say it's dead is daft. A lot of people are making a lot of money on the platform.

JWong

Banned
You need to have launch strategies for your game.

Creating a community before the launch, setting up twitter and Facebook for your game, joining indie game communities to put up news.

Can't put it on the store and hope it sells/gets downloaded.

Also, not sure if your game is F2P. If you make your game trial unlock, you can get double exposure in the free section and the paid section.

You need to have launch strategies for your game.

Creating a community before the launch, setting up twitter and Facebook for your game, joining indie game communities to put up news.

Can't put it on the store and hope it sells/gets downloaded.

Also, not sure if your game is F2P. If you make your game trial unlock, you can get double exposure in the free section and the paid section.
Aye well I'm hoping actually that most people will come to my game by searching for "pool" and downloading the game with the highest rating, I think it's a bit of a slower burn than trying to make something with brand recognition. Being sat on page 12 when you search isn't doing me any favours in that regard at the moment. I'm also working heavily on the game in the next few weeks from user feedback. I'm already writing code for playing vs. an ai.

In other news it turns out I didn't even add my torrent to the right section on The Pirate Bay, I put it in applications instead of games. I'll try re adding an updated less buggy version there.

Yup totally different. I wouldn't argue with that. And I didn't make this thread to bitch, I want more people to torrent it.

Well maybe, although I certainly find it less convenient myself. Perhaps torrent sites generally have a higher quality of stuff than the Play Store.

you also have to consider that some people check torrent sites for apps and games just so they can grab them and be the first to rehost them for their warez forums and websites.

wondermega

interesting method and I wouldn't have thought of doing this - will keep in mind for future releases :)

The OP seems to understand this, but other would-be devs should realize that simply making anything and publishing to the market is in no way a guarantee of any decent number of downloads. You have to really put just as much creativity and hard work into marketing and promotion as you've put into coding, asset creation, and testing - at the very least! Even if you make something rather cool, it's up against so much other product that the odds it will ever get seen will always be dramatically against you, unless you've got some good connection/strong marketing dollars/etc

When you submit an app on the Market, is it shown worldwide? Because if it's not, that is a factor too.
Yup, you can only charge in certain (about 50) markets. You have granular control over every single country the app/game can be downloaded in. By default, and in this case, it is available everywhere.

No I think you are missing my point, I want as many people to download the torrent as possible. What I am wondering is why doing a half-arsed job of promotion on The Pirate Bay gets you more hits than all your other efforts combined.

Let's be honest, the others weren't efforts. Let's make this thread "Gaf marketing 101'

MC Safety

i think the biggest step in your marketing plan was making this thread...

Yeah. Posting the game on a torrent site seems stupid. But making another thread about the shit hot game Total Pool on yet another game site is just good business.

I look forward to numerous new threads updating us on the status of Total Pool.

Android piracy watch.

So maybe I wasn't surprised to find out that the torrent would do better than the play store, this however takes me aback slightly:

The top search on Google for my app and company name takes you to a website which has a cracked apk for the paid version of my game for download right there.

There's a couple of things that I find genuinely surprising here:

- my game isn't big or popular, yet someone has still spent the time and money to purchase it, decompile it, add some shitty toast for their site and share it around

- the first hit on Google is for this site rather than a legitimate link to buy it

Top Bottom