• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After playing Death Stranding, what are your expectations for a potential Silent Hills: The Next Generation?

Or to put it another way, what are some things you liked about Death Stranding that you would like to see in Kojima's rumored new horror game? Whether you're a longtime fan of his work or if Death Stranding was your first experience playing a Kojima game, feel free to share your expectations or wishlist on a possible return to Silent Hills below.

Kagey K

Banned
That Konami will make it and Kojima will have nothing to do with it.

Oh wait you aren’t actually talking about Silent Hill.

Matt_Fox

Any next gen horror game (Silent Hill, PT, Project Zero, etc) should be absolutely terrifying! With close to photo realism, 4K res and all the new surround sound features... it's going to be quite a ride!

Mendou

Banned
I suspect the PT demo shown will not be representitive of the final product. I just don't see how you can make an engaging full-fledged game out of what PT offered with a good story to back it up.

ZywyPL

Banned
SH rumor has been debunked by Konami themselves, but I firmly believe Sony will want to put emphasis on horror games anyway, as those will be IMO the best use case for the Tempest Audio.

Hostile_18

Banned
SH rumor has been debunked by Konami themselves, but I firmly believe Sony will want to put emphasis on horror games anyway, as those will be IMO the best use case for the Tempest Audio.

Well if the games are all under NDA's they wouldn't announce them before the proper reveal anyways. Case unsolved 😛

Vitter.

Really liked Death Stranding except
the parts it forced you to be a shooter, on hard were a pain
If the rumors are true, still ”sad” we won’t ever get the same vision of the original Silent Hills, but an aproximation is better than nothing!
Still I believe they are doing a new ip again.

Last edited:

nowhat

My expectations for a potential new Silent Hills:

a pachinko machine. Let's face it, if Konami is unwilling to part with the rights, that's all we will ever get.

SweetShark

As I said already a Postman in Silent Hill town could be their next step.

Joking aside, there is a Postman doing this exactly thing in Downpour, so the idea is here.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I like that sense of realism and fantasy. Tripping over an object while running from something that is trying to kill you. I want to feel like I can interact with what’s around me. I want to feel a door open and shut. I’d like to feel the world change to the dark realm.

What’s frustrating is that even with Homecoming and Downpour, the game has an entire generation of graphics to improve upon. We haven’t seen what a next gen Silent Hill can do. Sure there was PT, but the big take away from that was the bathroom scene, family photos, and the audio. It didn’t exactly go into great detail. It was effective, but short.

GV82

If it ever got made and by Kojima, it would have to live up to not only what the PT Demo gave us in terms of psychological horror without repeating itself but be satisfying successor to the old Silent Hills and bring something new.

Is it possible? I hope so, stranger things have happened with Video games, so I’d never say never even if it doesn’t end up being made by kojima.

Hudo

It would be cool if they'd use all this supposed power of next-gen consoles to make the level architecture dynamic, let it morph and transform on the fly and drastically so. So the player can never be sure whether his environment is really what he thinks it is. Like playing with the main characters halluzinations but on steroids, so to speak.

anothertech

Rise+from+your+grave_8e5b8c_6277282.jpg

Dontero

Banned
Same as when Kojima was still with Konami. Expectation to fuck up.
PT already has shown he doesn't understand Silent Hill. He thinks SH is some hollywood paranormal activity crap.
It would be exact same garbage as all other Silent Hills after SH4.

It could be good game without SH tag. Much like Shattered Memories would be if not for that SH tag.

When you use SH name you can't make something that doesn't fit theme established by previous games. If Resident Evil 8 was made into Gears of War clone people would be rightly angry about it.

Every single studio that took SH to work with never delivered anything good. The problem wasn't technical part but developers simply don't understand Silent Hill or they played one game once and based their ideas for game about "feeling" they got instead of hard facts what games are all about. They can't even get simple facts straight like why monsters look what they look like. SH1 monsters were nightmares of Alessa, SH2 monsters were MC fears, SH3 monsters were projection of Heather, SH4 similar. In every game after SH4 monsters are created out of thin air and don't make sense.

Another good example of it is the Cult plot. The Cult is integral part of SH games even SH2 which was the least removed from cult plot but cult was still there in background. Everything resolves around cult and occultism. Silent Hill itself isn't some magical place that makes shit happens. It is cult that does it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom