• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After protest South African school suspends rules against natural black hair styles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
As an owner of bushy, curly hair, I can honestly say one does not simply straighten this shit.

Hair irons don't even really work on this stuff.
But the benefits...

tumblr_ntz8lcgxmt1rnjfjfo1_r1_250.gif

ReAxion

They didn't talk much about apartheid in school because the textbooks I had were written in the 80s when all that stuff was cool by the US.

The Air Force just recently changed the regulations to allow women to have braids, micro-braids and cornrows. I honestly never thought about it until someone covered it in a speech class. The regulation changed soon after so I guess it was around the end of 2014 that it changed.

I didn't mean it like that. Just tiring to be called a racist shithole of a country from people in countries that are becoming really racist themselves.

Yeah, we don't have like ten threads a day about racism in the US or anything. Not that they aren't deserved, but when something racist happens in your country and you go well It's worse in the US that's called deflecting.

Maz

Holy shit, I thought cab drivers over shared with me...

You don't understand we were stuck with this taxi driver in the Township at night, it was a 30min drive to Cape Town and he was our only way back. I have never in my life thought "I made a stupid mistake and I'm going to pay for it any moment", the hotel receptionist told us it was stupid to go there at night.

Some of the history was fascinating, Indian decent were treated better than African for some reason. This includes food rations, type of food, clothing, etc. They separate African decent from Indian decent. They are not allowed to mix so If the children are mixed, one of the tests to see which Camp the kinds are thrown in is this:

Take a pen, shove it in persons hair
Ask them to shake their head
If pen falls = Indian Camp
If pen doesn't fall = African Camp

I have never in my life been so interested in the history of a place I visited.

Zaru

We also took a taxi and paid him a little extra to shows around langa (township) and that place is rough, once the taxi driver got comfortable with us he started showing off how he and his friends raped this women in a party a few weeks ago, we couldn't get away from that guy fast enough.

Weren't there some surveys in regions of SA where 1/4 to 1/3 of men ADMITTED to having raped someone

Maz

Yeah. Her hair looks awesome.

Yeah there was.They also believe that sex with virgins can cure AIDS. There have also been cases of infants and babies being raped to cure AIDS.

I heard that from multiple people there, I think even high ranking officials have said virgins cure aids.

Allegedly racist rules huh? You can fuck right off with that!

I came here thinking anything but natural hair is banned (ie don't come to school with blue hair), not the other way round.

I didn't really learn much about South Africa in school, but I was there a few years ago and the shit I've seen and heard were shocking. Part of the trip we spent hunting in a lodge in the middle of nowhere with this white family and the racist shit they said so casually was insane. It ranged from opening schools for blacks is a waste of money to blacks always win running medals in the Olympics because they are used to running after their food. We also took a taxi and paid him a little extra to shows around langa (township) and that place is rough, once the taxi driver got comfortable with us he started showing off how he and his friends raped this women in a party a few weeks ago, we couldn't get away from that guy fast enough.

What in the actual fuck?! Jesus...

You don't understand we were stuck with this taxi driver in the Township at night, it was a 30min drive to Cape Town and he was our only way back. I have never in my life thought "I made a stupid mistake and I'm going to pay for it any moment", the hotel receptionist told us it was stupid to go there at night.

Some of the history was fascinating, Indian decent were treated better than African for some reason. This includes food rations, type of food, clothing, etc. They separate African decent from Indian decent. They are not allowed to mix so If the children are mixed, one of the tests to see which Camp the kinds are thrown in is this:

Take a pen, shove it in persons hair
Ask them to shake their head
If pen falls = Indian Camp
If pen doesn't fall = African Camp

I have never in my life been so interested in the history of a place I visited.

Wait, is the Indian and African thing true? Sounds worse than America in my opinion.

Maz

Wait, is the Indian and African thing true? Sounds worse than America in my opinion.

From what I gathered it was literally illegal to travel between townships, and townships were segregated by race. It's goes even deeper than that, during my visit to robben island (jail island where nelson mandela was) I don't remember the exact details but it was something along the lines of Africans get 1/3 of the food whites get while Indians get 1/2. Africans were not given shoes/socks while the Indians were, Africans were given smaller blankets so they can't fully cover themselves, and so on. The history of South Africa is batshit insane by any standard.

Edit:

Oh to be clear this was before the rise of nelson mandela and not how it is right now. But years living under such rule creates deep scars.

The townships make ghettos look like a nice place to live. I genuinely thought the taxi driver was going to get us murdered because he was barging into people's "homes" without knocking, gives them 2 dollars and they were more than happy to let us in. That was his idea of a "tour", the living conditions were horrendous.

It's been awhile since I was there, your better off researching the conditions/history for more accurate info about the whole situation.

FyreWulff

I went to a fairly strict school Black guys couldn't grow their hair too long, same thing for white guys, people couldn't get their hair cut too short either. We initially weren't allowed stuff like cornrows until some parents complained about it. I didn't see a problem with the schools rules, you knew what it was when you sent your child to the school However.. I really don't like the idea of black girls not being allowed to wear their hair natural.

The schools rules are intentionally rooted in erasure. Everyone had to conform to the accepted 'white european' hair.

Black? Gotta burn your fucking scalp to straighten out your hair. Native? Not allowed to wear it according to your beliefs, gotta bun it up and other shit. People think of them as "just rules" but they were considered and used at their inception to force everyone into white european identity and culture.

Eh, I'd say USA is worse regarding racism. Police killing African-Americans, and all the support trump gets.

At least we were partcipate in the olympics. Black South Africans weren't. And they were in their version of internment camps and interracial relationships were outlawed iirc.

Take your pick

eh sorry about the double post. Can a mod help me?

NeonBlack

This was not racist. Students should stick to the dress code. If you don't like the rules, join some other school. Black hair is known to be quite unruly. When you're in a professional setting, you've got to not let it get in the way. Schools are not for expressing your individuality. What do you think uniforms are for?

/s

Ahh you got me you bastard.

From what I gathered it was literally illegal to travel between townships, and townships were segregated by race. It's goes even deeper than that, during my visit to robben island (jail island where nelson mandela was) I don't remember the exact details but it was something along the lines of Africans get 1/3 of the food whites get while Indians get 1/2. Africans were not given shoes/socks while the Indians were, Africans were given smaller blankets so they can't fully cover themselves, and so on. The history of South Africa is batshit insane by any standard.

Edit:

Oh to be clear this was before the rise of nelson mandela and not how it is right now. But years living under such rule creates deep scars.

The townships make ghettos look like a nice place to live. I genuinely thought the taxi driver was going to get us murdered because he was barging into people's "homes" without knocking, gives them 2 dollars and they were more than happy to let us in. That was his idea of a "tour", the living conditions were horrendous.

It's been awhile since I was there, your better off researching the conditions/history for more accurate info about the whole situation.

I thought it was talking about now. Thank you for sharing this though.

Acinixys

This goes both ways though.

I went to HS in South Africa, and while black girls where allowed to have braids, white girls were not

This country is still a cesspool of fucked up ideas of whats racially correct

Principate

Saint Titanfall
er.. I was talking about current day SA.

How fucking naive are you. Do you honestly think those sorts of issues magically fix themselves in 20 years. The civil rights movement in the US was 50 years ago and in many ways Black people were better off over there (which is disturbing in itself).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom