• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The South African Student Protests #FeesMustFall #ANCMustFall #NationalShutDown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so a lot of protesting has been going down here in South Africa for the past week and is escalating day by day, thought I'd make it aware since there aren't that many international news stories yet. If any Saffers feel I left anything else out please let me know. I know there are quite a few South Africans on the forum (I am personally a dual national) so thought I'd make a thread to see what you think and to inform others about what's going down. It is important to note that a lot of political change has been made through student protests in South Africa's history indirectly and directly.

To background on what sparked this: Minister for Higher Education, Blade Nzimande wanted to increase university tuition fees by 10-12% which sparked outrage. The current inflation and economic situation requires it according to the ANC government however students feel this is too much and will affect families (particularly black) with lower income which already struggle with fees. Also there is a lot of corruption in South African politics and a money is stolen and spent in the wrong places, every time there are increases in taxes and the like it is due to the government's own incompetence and failures - people are tired of this.

As you can imagine, protests have broke out because of this. Furthermore, there is a lot of political positioning taking place by the Democratic Alliance and Economic Freedom Fighters regarding the issue the ANC (controlling party) is now facing. What is making the escalations worse is how the ANC government and police are responding to this situation, students are being unlawfully arrested and there is blatant police brutality taking place.

Furthermore, the police have been met with white human shields protecting their fellow black students - the reason being is that the police/riot force is easily targeting black students due to being more vulnerable - it is tricky to analyse if the police are demonstrating racial discrimination right now - particularly internalised racism. The latest update is that student groups have rejected the offer of only a 6% increase.

Earlier today there was chaos at the South Africa parliament (where the current situation/issue was being discussed). Students began protesting there and pushed through the parliament gate. Many arrested are facing potential treason charges as well. Most universities have been shut down for now and will remain till who knows when. There are 10-14 universities involved in the protest across the country.

Here is a BBC article: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34592523
Here is a Reuters article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/21/us-safrica-budget-violence-idUSKCN0SF1PG20151021

There is a continuously updated news timeline here: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/National-protests-against-student-fees-20151021

From BBC:
South African students who were marching to parliament in a protest over a rise in student fees have clashed with police. Police fired stun grenades as the protesters were trying to force their way into the parliamentary complex.

Proposed tuition fee hikes of between 10% and 12% have sparked protests at universities across the country. Students have complained that higher fees may exclude poorer black students.

Inside parliament in Cape Town a budget speech by Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene was temporarily halted as members of the opposition Economic Freedom Fighters chanted "Fees must fall" - a slogan borrowed from the students.

Student bodies have rejected a government offer to cap tuition fee increases at 6% for 2016, and earlier threatened to close all the country's universities as protests over tuition fees spread.

At least 10 institutions have so far been affected with some closing until the situation is resolved.

Both #NationalShutDown and #FeesMustFall continue to trend on social media in South Africa.

BBC correspondents say the protests seem to be intensifying as students refuse to back down, and there is a heavy police presence at most institutions.

Student politics have been part of this country's political fibre for many years. In the apartheid era, students took to the streets to protest against being taught in Afrikaans, one of the main languages spoken by the white minority. It seems that spirit of defiance has returned, but in this case it is in the born-free generation, a term used for those born after the advent of democracy.

They are calling for free education for the poor saying this was promised by the African National Congress government when it took power in 1994. But the government says that it cannot afford this.

In Cape Town white students are said to be forming human shields between black students and the police. They say while some of them can afford university fees, they want to support the majority of black South African families who cannot. Amid the demonstrations, it seems that streaks of the rainbow nation are uniting. Students say the proposed fee hike amounts to discrimination in a country where the average income of black families is far less than that of white families.

Protests began at Johannesburg's University of Witwatersrand before spreading to the University of Cape Town, Rhodes University, Stellenbosch University, Fort Hare University, the University of the Free State and the Cape Peninsula University of Technology, and now students are protesting at the University of Pretoria.

Misc video
Misc video
Misc video
Misc video
Misc video

Various pictures over the days:

AWRwPuT.jpg

RVazGXU.jpg

mzg1fvp.jpg

qACyKBh.jpg

7o48Ysw.jpg

n0airph.jpg

iyp44xE.jpg

cgzglUl.jpg

q7sm2gq.jpg

HswIvGk.jpg

56Ha3Im.jpg

jlz7aXP.jpg

n1dCRKB.jpg

z2b2B2e.jpg

TiItwit.jpg

8FP2MBB.jpg

Wohhtzi.jpg

3zGNz11.jpg

gnTqdHG.jpg

cfm4NYm.jpg

DMUEfry.jpg

uwU5K3Q.jpg

ftcnhFO.jpg

B8uLrK8.jpg

RS0EKIA.jpg

Fa3Rde1.jpg

uFgY2PN.jpg

I66qpOK.jpg

c1VPCo4.jpg

P1ciLz1.jpg

BYL6jTj.jpg

ByMJu2V.jpg

6opmVqD.jpg

I hope they succeed.

ANC is in the government for how many decades now? A change would be good.

And it's beautiful to see blacks and whites fighting together, man.

ninjabat

Hopefully this can be resolved soon. With the students going all the way to parliament today, and all the media attention this has been getting, I can't see the increase happening. And if there is an increase, it will probably be something small like 3% since the students rejected 6% and instead asked for 0%.

This whole strike has me wondering though, is free education really possible in any nation? And if so, how can it be achieved?

elfinke

Thanks for the filled OP, always a pleasure to not have to open up extra links to seek the info and pictures.

Student movements have had some measurable success around the world these last few years, particularly against unjust or inequal fee increases. Good luck and strength to all involved.

Hopefully this can be resolved soon. With the students going all the way to parliament today, and all the media attention this has been getting, I can't see the increase happening. And if there is an increase, it will probably be something small like 3% since the students rejected 6% and instead asked for 0%.

This whole strike has me wondering though, is free education really possible in any nation? And if so, how can it be achieved?

We do it in most nations up until post secondary and there are usually less students that rise to that level. Why wouldn't it be?

elfinke

It's perhaps not as uncommon as you may think (though it's hardly widespread at tertiary level), and some of the countries that have it may surprise you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_education

Perhaps an even more surprising - and uplifting - example is Chile:

http://www.attn.com/stories/836/chile-makes-college-tuition-free

Imagine if the US Congress agreed to make higher education tuition-free and funded it by increasing taxes on corporations. Pure fantasy, right? Well the government of Chile is doing just that.

Chilean President Michelle Bachelet has made overhauling the nation’s education system a key goal of her administration.

“In March 2016 we will start with free higher education now that we have the resources,” said Rodrigo Peñailillo, Chile's Minister of Interior in early December following approval of a corporate tax hike that will generate $8.2 billion in new revenue.

First, a little background.

Chile’s economy looks impressive on paper, boasting the third highest per capita GDP in Latin America, but Chile also has the highest inequality in the 34-member Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).

Nowhere is this disparity more apparent than in its schools.

From high school through college, Chile’s education system is the most expensive in the world. This is a legacy of Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet, whose reforms dismantled public education and replaced it with a market model that privatized many institutions.

As a result, students can not afford to graduate, and even those who attain degrees seldom earn enough to pay off their debt. Apart from a few elite, selective schools, outcomes are dismal. Chile’s primary school system ranks 119th of 144 countries. Its higher-education system ranks 91st overall and 117th in math and science.

The reason families pay so much out of pocket is simple: Chile’s schools receive the least public funding of any of the 34 OECD member nations, according to a report from 2011.

So how did things change?

Chile’s new direction wasn’t conceived by politicians in government offices. It started with students in the streets. Demonstrations began in 2006 during the Penguin Revolution, so named because of the black and white uniforms worn by students declaring that “education is a human right.” Students achieved minor tangible victories, but their ultimate goal of free education remained elusive.

Protests erupted again in May 2011 with an eight-month long occupation of college campuses. This escalated into a sustained, three-year nationwide movement. At its peak, 800,000 students flooded the streets and enjoyed support from 81% of the population.

Finally, Chile's 30-year experiment with free-market education came to a close a couple weeks ago when its Congress passed a landmark law ending profits at state-subsidized schools.

As a sidenote, the former minister for higher education in Australia was in favour of privatising our universities. His bill was met with fierce opposition from the community and his own colleagues, though unfortunately it was not met with much public opposition from the Vice-Chancellors (and it was privately supported by the majority of them, especially the G8 universities). Thankfully, his bill was defeated twice in the senate and at the risk of triggering a double dissolution, it was never given a third opportunity. And of course since then we've had another change of Prime Minister and a reshuffle of the ministerial cabinet, meaning a 'new' minster for higher ed, who outwardly seems to be somewhat less of a neoliberal lunatic.

But we'll see what happens in 2016 I guess.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm sitting in the lobby of my dorm right now and there's a bunch of kids crowded over a laptop watching videos of this. All them basically said the same thing, we all wish something like this could happen over here in the states.

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again: but already it was impossible to say which was which."

I bet Jan Smuts would think the ANC of 2015 was doing a bang-up job of oppressing the rights of citizens to protest.

Opto

Banned
I wish American students had this much gumption.

Here it's just: "Hey we're raising your tuition"
"No don't do that"
"What, you gonna stop me? Go to a different school, hope your credits transfer, abandon your friends? Rise up?"
"...no...."

Walpurgis

Banned
Those pictures are incredible. They just make me want to rise up and rebel. Row row fight the power! I wonder why this isn't getting more news coverage.

"No don't do that"
"What, you gonna stop me? Go to a different school, hope your credits transfer, abandon your friends? Rise up?"
"...no...."

One day Americans will snap. At least, I hope so....

Ty4on

You have to jump through some hoops to prove you can financially fund yourself in Norway, but if you got into a Norwegian university you'd pay no tuition fees.

Norwegian students also get a 46k NOK (6k USD I think) state loan each semester where 50% turns into a stipend (their loan is halved) if they pass their exams. If you partially succeed you get a partial stipend.

Mimosa97

Why free education would be impossible ?

Look at France. All of our top universities/engineering schools are 100% free.

Only ones that aren't free are top business schools and even them are pretty affordable (max 8k/year for 3 years).

Pacbois

Why free education would be impossible ?

Look at France. All of our top universities/engineering schools are 100% free.

Only ones that aren't free are top business schools and even them are pretty affordable (max 8k/year for 3 years).

Yeah but then they're not good (And technically not free but it's 300€ a year) mostly because of a lack of funds.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be free (although I'm not opposed to reasonnable tuition fees based on the family's income), but you should make sure to deal with giving them enough funds, and that's a really difficult thing to do.

Bronx-Man

Banned

"No don't do that"
"...no...."

One day Americans will snap. At least, I hope so....
A man can only be pushed so much before he decides to push back. Always keep that in mind.

Walpurgis

Banned
Yeah but then they're not good (And technically not free but it's 300€ a year) mostly because of a lack of funds.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be free (although I'm not opposed to reasonnable tuition fees based on the family's income), but you should make sure to deal with giving them enough funds, and that's a really difficult thing to do.

No one cares if they're good. Free university bro.

gdt

This is so interesting. I hope they succeed.

Whats going in SA today? All you hear about is apartheid but how has SA been doing since then? I know very little about Africa so I was ecstatic to see those pictures. In my head Africa looks different, only because all of the movies I've ever seen make it look so different.

Pacbois

No one cares if they're good. Free university bro.

I care because it's not valued on the job market. Right now most of our generation is spending years in badly ran universities to get a diploma that will be considered useless on the job market. Meanwhile people who are going to private schools are often finding well payed jobs straight after graduation. It's an unfair system. I can't afford a private school that would secure me a job so now i'm struggling.

Walpurgis

Banned
I care because it's not valued on the job market. Right now most of our generation is spending years in badly ran universities to get a diploma that will be considered useless on the job market. Meanwhile people who are going to private schools are often finding well payed jobs straight after graduation. It's an unfair system. I can't afford a private school that would secure me a job so now i'm struggling.

A degree is a degree. If you choose a bad one at a rich school, you're still screwed. If you choose a good one at a poor school, you're good.

Pacbois

A degree is a degree. If you choose a bad one at a rich school, you're still screwed. If you choose a good one at a poor school, you're good.

Looks like you're not getting it. I'm coming from the french school system and I know how badly valued public shcools are. If it's not valued in the job market, a degree is just a fairly useless piece of paper.

Ricitor

My varsity (University of Johannesburg) just started the shut down today so I was able to get all my classes in before the study break. Big concern now for me and my class are whether or not exams are going to be delayed as we are supposed to start in just over a week (and as of now they are still scheduled but I know UCT has already moved them to January).

This is so interesting. I hope they succeed.

Whats going in SA today? All you hear about is apartheid but how has SA been doing since then? I know very little about Africa so I was ecstatic to see those pictures. In my head Africa looks different, only because all of the movies I've ever seen make it look so different.

The big problem in contemporary SA is inequality with regards to income/wealth. While Apartheid itself is over, you can see many people calling the current situation an economic equivalent (and I would necessarily disagree with that sentiment). A lot of the benefits white people once had during apartheid still has effect today which is why they still hold most of the wealth in the country. This is why a lot of students are now protesting, because they still suffer from a system put in place over 2 decades ago and these increases over serve to screw over a majority that as it is, already struggles to pay the fees.
Redistribution failure really falls on the government and you can mostly look at the current corrupted ANC (ruling party). Where it once was the political party that stood for freedom and equality, the ANC that was around in the 1994 elections is good and dead. Massive corruption charges, crimes, misuse of funds, adding new measures to suppress media freedom for calling out this kind of bullshit, you name it there is probably a minister who did it. (Even our president was involved in a Rape scandal years ago before he was elected into office).

Necrovex

We do it in most nations up until post secondary and there are usually less students that rise to that level. Why wouldn't it be?

SA's neighbor, Swaziland, only provides free education through primary. When learners hit secondary, families has to pay up or GTFO. My mind was blown when my friend, who lives there, told me of this fact.

Been reading about this, via Mail and Guardian, for the last few days. Glad to see the students are making some noise. Also, obligatory #Nkandla.

It'll be interesting to see how this ends up going. Student protests are usually woefully ineffective because a) when they go on strike, it hardly impacts anyone and b) they're usually the demographic who is least likely to vote.

Ricitor

Well, today there will be a meeting in the Union Buildings between President Zuma, Student representatives and the varsity officials so I hope some progress will be made
(there wont be any)
My varsity on official shut down as are most the others.

News24 doing another live update feed throughout the day and so far its been the best source for the updates around the country over the last 3 days.

Solidarity march in London

Also the protest at the Union Buildings has turned into chaos and has become violent - a handful of protestors have turned violent, many people there suspect that they are agent provocateurs - people disguised as part of the movement but exists to carry out actions that discredits it. There is a stark contrast to the peaceful protests previous days and today's one. When other students confronted these handful of people destroying the movement fights have broken out. Also some of the people causing these issues have also been found to be wearing multiple political party shirts and supposedly switch them out, it's very odd. There are clearly non-students here with political affiliations to sabotage and cause trouble. Also helicopters dropping tear gas onto the crowds supposedly but just to mention that the police force today there actually dealt with the situation very well in comparison to other days.

The peaceful protestors are distancing themselves and gathering away from them, here is one of the prominent student council leaders stating so as well (the woman that walks past her at the end is also another prominent student council leader).

Many of the students have recollected with their leaders and distanced from the violent ones and the president will address them at 2:45 PM if not delayed again (it was supposed to happen 4hrs ago). Just thought I'd update.

Ricitor

Well that was quick as hell.

Most assumed it would be at least going on for another week. I really did not expect this outcome, I thought some way, some how they would still fight for some increase (I believed they would only go as low as 4 percent), but this is really incredible.

Zuma also mentioned transformation and changes so maybe this is a big step in the right direction for SA. I truly hope it is as this was the first time the ANC was heavily attacked for its bullshit, that more often then not they simply ignore the criticisms. Also got to give credit for how smooth most of it went over the last 10 days, despite the violence of today (most of which was not via students), nobody was seriously injured and not a single death. For the first time in a long time, I'm proud of my country.

Ricitor

And now it has just turned to Chaos outside the Union Building. Most of the protests at the varsities have gone into celebration but now the protesters outside UB are throwing a hail of rocks over the wall of cops. Now claiming a zero percent cut is not enough.

Edit: Seems its the same jack offs who were causing shit in the earlier reports. Students just got caught up in the mix from what I'm hearing and even some of the officials are claiming its the same group that was being forceful this morning and before the address.

Ricitor

So crowds have dispersed from the Union Buildings after police moved in to try stop some of the more violent protesters. A lot of the rage came from the fact Zuma did not address the students directly and instead did it via the media.
That small violent crowd that I mentioned earlier started tearing down the fence and hailing stones at the cops and press. Rubber bullets and tear gas were used on the crowds but there are a lot of medics around to help and I have not seen any reports of anything serious injury wise.

This was the worst it has gotten but seems to have subsided. It is a bit muddled with regards to whats going to happen next but there are reports the protests wont stop just because of the decision not to increase the fees. Many still want to fight for free education, and see this as a small victory. Pretoria definitely seems to be the epicenter of all the craziness, other varsities/cities are nowhere near that bad. I actually think most are moving smoothly considering the lack of coverage.

Although one of the more pleasurable things to hear is the utter disdain the protesters have for Blade Nzimande (Higher Education Minister). If there was any one person that they are rallying to take down from power, its him, and after the way he has handled this, there best be some repercussions.

EDIT: seems like the only group still trying to protest are the TUT (Tshwane University of Technology) students (or at least what appear to be), who are now preventing other students from leaving. They are refusing to let buses go and are blocking main roads in Pretoria. They keep claiming they are not stopping and it seems like they are antagonizing the police in any way they can. It just looks like a lot of the students are just stuck in between the two now.

Good luck to you! I fully support what the students are doing. I was in Chile when there own student civil disobediance took place and it was pretty inspiring, they took things into their own hands and were determined to re-write the books.

This is inspiring. Stand strong.

Cool, they managed to kick it into touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom