• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After reading this, only retards will liken Umbrella Chronicles to Gun Survivor

cvxfreak

consoul said:
Some chapters in Gun Survivor 3 were on rails. The Boat and Jeep sequences spring to mind.

Wow... goes to show how forgettable GS3 was for me. :lol

I've been conveniently ignoring GS3 all this time. I think I'll go replay it to see how it goes along with UC.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Just read Brad's Gamespot preview.

I'm stoked about the journey into the heart of Umbrella with killer RE4-style graphics, destructible environments and all that shit, but does this game really boil down to being a 15 hour on-rails lightgun shooter with QTEs? Or did I miss the memo?

SantaC

Gold Member
chespace said:

I'm stoked about the journey into the heart of Umbrella with killer RE4-style graphics, destructible environments and all that shit, but does this game really boil down to being a 15 hour on-rails lightgun shooter with QTEs? Or did I miss the memo?

15 hour is a hella long rails on game for sure.

cvxfreak

I'm hoping Capcom can maintain some of the character diversity we've seen in the past RE games.

Jill and Chris do seem to travel together at first, but they should split them up eventually so they can explore their respective storylines with Rebecca and Barry. Let Jill hold more items than Chris but take less damage. Jill is the master of unlocking, so she should be afforded more shortcuts than Chris. This way, we may not get 15 hours worth of new areas, but we'll get plenty of variety.

chespace said:

That 15 hour number seems so off to me. There has never been a 15 hour light gun game, there has never been a 2 hour long light gun game. That number must be inflated by multiple difficulties or routes or something.

Bildi

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but did anyone ever feel like Jill spent all of REmake calling him Berry instead of Barry?

Maybe it was just me but I spent a large portion of REmake thinking maybe his name really was Berry and I was wrong. :lol

MiamiWesker said:
That 15 hour number seems so off to me.
I agree something doesn't gel. Maybe there are a hell of a lot of cutscenes and puzzles. I hope it will be a few hours long at least.

Bildi said:
Perhaps slightly off-topic, but did anyone ever feel like Jill spent all of REmake calling him Berry instead of Barry?

Maybe it was just me but I spent a large portion of REmake thinking maybe his name really was Berry and I was wrong. :lol

Aren't they pronounced the same?

consoul

MiamiWesker said:
That 15 hour number seems so off to me. There has never been a 15 hour light gun game, there has never been a 2 hour long light gun game. That number must be inflated by multiple difficulties or routes or something.
Definitely. That figure has got to be the cumulative time of replaying the game as each character to explore all possible routes, or something like that.

Fifteen hours of scripted on-rails action is way too much to be a single run. I'd love it to be the case, but it just couldn't be.

Bildi

citrus lump said:

I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or not. Since this is GAF, I'm going to assume you are being sarcastic because I've never had a problem understanding the US accent in this regard before. Or maybe I just never noticed.

consoul said:
Definitely. That figure has got to be the cumulative time of replaying the game as each character to explore all possible routes, or something like that.

Fifteen hours of scripted on-rails action is way too much to be a single run. I'd love it to be the case, but it just couldn't be.
well, maybe CVX can help us on this one. if it's ten minutes until yawn (mark 2), then we'd imagine twenty minutes until plant 42, and thirty minutes until the tyrant, given that it's been rumoured that the residence / guard house is in the game and we KNOW the lab is.

so if it's half an hour for the RE1 segment, i'd guess similar for the zero segment and the racoon segments. if we add a stingy 30 minutes for new sections and presume no code veronica section, and no seperate RE2/3 sections, we'd get two hours for a clean run without deaths.

i'm sure the 15 hours is based on the difficulty. ign claimed that they were the only ones that managed to finish the ten minute mansion demo that they saw... so if each level makes you start over (which it might) then even presuming only 3 tries before beating a level (and imagining that you get a 1/3rd through, then 2/3rds through then all the way through) that'd be a very very very conservative estimate of 4 hours in the worst case scenario.

the reason i can imagine that the game will be nearer twice that, is that they're reusing assets. it doesn't take them much work to go through the mansion because they already have the 3d model and all the textures. same with the stuff in zero, which would appear to be represented.

and that is presuming we just go mansion > residence > lab skipping black widow and neptune, and presuming that none of the missions are longer than the ten minute mansion level they showed.

no light gun game has been longer than 2 hours, but it takes a darn sight longer than that to beat them usually.

i used to be able to single credit the original time crisis in arcades before it hit the home consoles. it took me *weeks* to get that good.

keeping in mind that rumoured 'mercenaries esque' mode this was meant to have... which i'd guess would be letting you replay the levels with any character each with their own special abilities and perhaps different enemy arrangements, then i can see 15 hours being a fair figure for the total play time of the game.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Bildi said:
Is it a US accent thing? What about marry and merry? They're not pronounced the same in the US are they?

Generally, "marry" and "merry" are pronounced in the same way, or in NEARLY the same way, throughout much of the USA.

I'm trying to figure out how you'd pronounce them differently, and struggling with it. I know you can, but I can't recall what the difference sounds like.

DavidDayton said:
Generally, "marry" and "merry" are pronounced in the same way, or in NEARLY the same way, throughout much of the USA.

I'm trying to figure out how you'd pronounce them differently, and struggling with it. I know you can, but I can't recall what the difference sounds like.

Merry is "meh-ree" and Marry is "mah-ree"...

Queen's English to the rescue!

Bildi

DavidDayton said:

Ah, I see. I'm trying to think of words that might explain the non-US pronounciation but it's probably pointless because they are probably all pronounced differently in the US and outside US too. :lol

I can only think of Clarence which has both the a and e sound in it that I am trying to convey, but I suspect in the US both the a and e are pronounced very similar or the same.

Anyway, it doesn't matter since I got my answer - it's a US accent thing. Thanks!

Edit:
Dragona Akehi said:

That's a better example. Thanks! I guess you could add that the 'mah' is not pronounced 'mar' as I can see how it could be interpreted like that.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dragona Akehi said:

That sounds right.

If you want real amusement, consider the plight of an elementary school teacher with a set of 42 sound cards, of which three sounds appear identical. I'm sure that SOMEWHERE in the eastern half of the USA, there are different sounds for the initial W in "water" and "whale", but not in California.

I need to check my teacher's guide again and see what the other conflict was.

(In other news, I do recall reading some sort of linguistic theory claiming that American English was closer, in sound and tone, to Shakespearian English than modern British English.)

Top Bottom