• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After the Unreal 5 demo, is anyone doubting this trailer was real time?

oldergamer

Since Epic showed us what can be done in Unreal 5 with todays tech demo, I'm still interested to see first party games from MS due to how many studios are using Unreal. I had forgotten that MS has shown us glimpses of the Hellblade 2 trailer last year on unreal. They claimed it was real time and in-engine captures. I think there were a lot of people that were skeptical and doubted it was legit. Most people claimed it was a CG demo ( despite MS saying it was real-time), but after today, how can anyone doubt that?

I had often wondered if banking on Unreal was the right direction for MS studio, but I think they knew which engine could give them the most visual impact when pushed. I forget where I heard this exactly, it might have been on a phil interview, but someone from MS mentioned that the first party studios were sharing tech and techniques to help each other go the extra mile. I'm really excited to see what Unreal 5 can do in a game beyond a technical demonstration. I want to see a version of Gears of war that uses models directly from Zbrush. That would indeed be possible and an awesome thought.

Unrelated to Unreal, but still first party is that teaser we got for Halo Infinite. That showed very impressive visuals from the slip stream engine with a real-time cutscene.

Compsiox

Banned
nop, actually i think with assets optimization and AAA first party engine it will look better and better than UE5 demo.
What we saw in the demo isn't for a few years so that will be the theoretical optimized graphics for future games. Maybe at the very end of the generation it will get even better than the demo.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Hellblade2 gal have really high polygon counts, so smooth and flattering. Is it 1fps realtime composite into the scene?

The rest of the trailer look a bit low res bleaky, i guess because lacking the megascan 8K textures technique of UE5

Last edited:

oldergamer

Hellblade2 gal have really high polygon counts, so smooth and flattering. Is it 1fps realtime composite into the scene?

The rest of the trailer look a bit low res bleaky, i guess because lacking the megascan 8K textures technique of UE5
What are u talking about. No its not 1fps real time composit. That was heavenly sword on ps3.

An no it didnt look low res. Not sure what video you watched.

JordanN

Banned
Yep, this really improved my confidence that they could hit that mark.

The Hellblade 2 trailer looked really filmic, and that was the source of my doubt, just the sheer detail. Now that we know that literal film-level assets are a possibility...
They say this every gen but the claim always falls apart.

If you want to see filmic assets, first we need to see an entire movie rendered on a single GPU.

But not even the original Toy Story can be done yet.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
nop, actually i think with assets optimization and AAA first party engine it will look better and better than UE5 demo.
The fact we wont see anymore of those annoying polygon edges in characters and set pieces. Everything will be perfectly displayed and rounded to look more than a game -- petty, I know -- Im just glad we are past that shit now. That alone makes me more confident in next gen.

oldergamer

Agreed. The Order was a pretty good game that had a ton of potential to be much more.

Wait. Why are we talking about The Order here again?
You're right. Everyone is freaking out since we haven seen first party despite the fact we have seen some teasers.

Andodalf

Banned
Still not sure the trailer was reatime, but wouldn't be shocked either way, and I do think it'll be pretty accurate to what the game's cutscenes look like in realtime.

RCU005

Many of the so-called 'cinematic/CGI' trailers of the last Inside Xbox event were actually real-time. But it will be a while before people realize that.

Medium was real time. At least the quality of real time cutscenes were you do notice a better quality, but still real time.

Many of the so-called 'cinematic/CGI' trailers of the last Inside Xbox event were actually real-time. But it will be a while before people realize that.

TBF, that's Microsoft's fault xD.

But even at the time the HB2 and Project Mara stuff dropped I knew those were pretty indicative of what the final games will end up looking like in real-time gameplay.

Maybe just due to be an optimist on this stuff but I'd like to think that stuff is doable in real-time and within a year or two into next-gen because I'd like the absolute pinnacle of next-gen visual fidelity to be some crazy shit we can't even honestly picture yet.

If you want to see filmic assets, first we need to see an entire movie rendered on a single GPU.

Honestly...maybe nowadays it can? Has anyone tried recreating the original Toy Story on a modern high-end, balls to the wall workstation PC? Legal reasons they probably haven't, but the systems they used to make Toy Story back in the early-mid '90s have nothing on even modestly capable PC rigs you can get today for maybe a grand, or even for say $700.

Those SGI workstations were CRAZY expensive back in the day. You could've purchased a small car for the price of one of them. That said, something about their visuals is super charming, and I kinda miss that from modern 3D graphics, as surreal as it can be these days.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Honestly...maybe nowadays it can? Has anyone tried recreating the original Toy Story on a modern high-end, balls to the wall workstation PC? Legal reasons they probably haven't, but the systems they used to make Toy Story back in the early-mid '90s have nothing on even modestly capable PC rigs you can get today for maybe a grand, or even for say $700.

Those SGI workstations were CRAZY expensive back in the day. You could've purchased a small car for the price of one of them. That said, something about their visuals is super charming, and I kinda miss that from modern 3D graphics, as surreal as it can be these days.
Even on the fastest renderfarms today, The original Toy Story still took 2 ~ 4 minutes to render.

Keep in mind, video games have to render EVERYTHING in less than 1 second. If it goes above that, it's pointless to call it real time.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Can you atleast put the actual video from Xbox, not this re-upload which is in much lower quality due to YouTube's recompression ?

Also, Phil said on the stage that it was running in-engine on XSX.
People criticized the lack of gameplay not whether the graphics were in-engine or not.
No my friend. When the trailer came out, people criticized it for being fake and that it will never look this good.

Last edited:
Even on the fastest renderfarms today, The original Toy Story still took 2 ~ 4 minutes to render.

Keep in mind, video games have to render EVERYTHING in less than 1 second. If it goes above that, it's pointless to call it real time.

Fair point, I appreciate the link too. Maybe we're still a ways off from Toy Story 1-style fluidity in real-time, but some of the next-gen stuff we've seen so far (including today's demo obviously), honestly has so much more going on visually and artistically compared to that movie and look "good enough" in terms of fluidity that we probably really don't need true cinema-tier CG fluidity to feel like that's what next-gen games can deliver while playing them.

I'd like to think optical perceptions of the player plus immersive imagination (which tbh is kinda dead with younger teens these days but it' still there in parts I suppose) basically means we get that impression while playing even if the actual tech doesn't produce that level of results in real-time yet.

Evilms

Banned
unreal engine 5 demo run in real time on PS5 at 1440p/30fps with GI fully dynamic and fully playable

hellblade 2 with unreal engine 4 and the trailer run in-engine on PC and not XseX at 1608p/24fps and not in real time an no RT

so yes, until I've seen some gameplay :

press-x-to-doubt-la-noir-original-meme-template.jpg

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
What are u talking about. No its not 1fps real time composit. That was heavenly sword on ps3.

An no it didnt look low res. Not sure what video you watched.

The gal model looks suspiciously too smooth. 🤷‍♀️
In the other non-gal scenes, looks low res after we saw how next gen can use the 8K realworld textures scanning tech.

polygon wise the ue5 has triangle per pixel polygon count. They clearly stated they could use raw assets from zbrush. The scenes in the demo had billions of polygons vs a few million per scene in toy story.

Their approach has been compared to pixars reyes
Toy Story was made it used state of the art equipment, to render the final presentation at a resolution of 1536 × 922 pixels-stack.
But this runs at 1440p 30fps. Higher resolution higher polygon count likely higher texture resolution and with global illumination which mightve been absent from toy story.

That tweet from IGN seems somewhat misleading.

“This is not just a whole lot of polygons and memory. It’s also a lot of polygons being loaded every frame as you walk around through the environment and this sort of detail you don’t see in the world would absolutely not be possible at any scale without these breakthroughs that Sony’s made.”

Sweeney says that Sony’s storage architecture is far ahead of “the best SSD solution you can buy on PC today. And so it’s really exciting to be seeing the console market push forward the high-end PC market in this way.”

While Epic wouldn’t comment on any potential performance differences between the PS5 and Xbox Series X, Sweeney confirmed that the features shown today, like real-time global illumination and virtualized geometry, are “going to work on all the next-generation consoles.”

There is nothing that actually says the XsX can't run the demo

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned

I mean, the literal Hollywood film-level assets are being used from Quixel Megascan. It’s not something that’s up for debate, as unbelievable as it is.

JordanN

Banned
polygon wise the ue5 has triangle per pixel polygon count. They clearly stated they could use raw assets from zbrush. The scenes in the demo had billions of polygons vs a few million per scene in toy story.

Their approach has been compared to pixars reyes

But this runs at 1440p 30fps. Higher resolution higher polygon count likely higher texture resolution and with global illumination which mightve been absent from toy story.
Doesn't mean much.

You could have high polycounts since Cryengine 3. Having actual gameplay with it is a different story.

And while Toy Story was officially 900p, IQ wise, it's still higher than any game. They used Stochastic Anti-Aliasing.

Last edited:
Doesn't mean much.

You could have high polycounts since Cryengine 3. Having actual gameplay with it is a different story.

And while Toy Story was officially 900p, IQ wise, it's still higher than any game. They used Stochastic Anti-Aliasing.

The ue5 demo was playable. The lod system is also far more advanced than cryengine 3.

Single statues had a third of what that entire scene had. In theory single assets could have as many polygons as that entire scene

JordanN

Banned
The ue5 demo was playable. The lod system is also far more advanced than cryengine 3.

Single statues had a third of what that entire scene had. In theory single assets could have as many polygons as that entire scene
Tech demos always promise everything under the sun (because that's all they're using the system for), but until you actually see a game ship with the features promised, I would be skeptical.

Especially on a CONSOLE. The fact that it's running at 1440p and 30fps means they're already making compromises.

Note: I think next gen games are obviously going to look better than last gen. But the claims that they're going to reach "Hollywood" is BS. Again, since the N64 they say this stuff but in reality it's always an exaggeration.

Last edited:
Tech demos always promise everything under the sun (because that's all they're using the system for), but until you actually see a game ship with the features promised, I would be skeptical.

Especially on a CONSOLE. The fact that it's running at 1440p and 30fps means they're already making compromises.
Upscaled 4k as anyone expected and playable unlike most any other tech demo.

Similar rumors suggest Alloy in new horizon will have more polygond than all horizon 1 characters combined. Which now seems believable.

Top Bottom