• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

Kyoufu

Ariexv said:
Is there a substitute for the Rhino/Elephant Pre-order bonus in-game? Or a way to still get those? Or am I stuck at a permanent disadvantage for not pre-ordering?

I don't know but if you find that you can't get the mammoth mount included (its not a big deal considering everyone gets mounts at level 40 anyway) then you might want to pick up the collector's edition instead. The EXP ring and drinking cape should be much more useful. IMO anyway.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Guileless said:
That's a mean looking necro, quite a departure from all of the hot girls running around. I cannot for the life of me settle on a class. I see that the necros and barbarians are popular here and those are two I haven't tried yet. I'm pretty tired of killing that fat slavemaster.

I've killed him 10 times already. At this point it's all about fatality-ing him.

Is it true that the game has a 4GB patch already and suffers from connection issues? I'm so hoping it turns out great, but the 30GB install and 4GB patch thing really scares me.

tahrikmili said:
Is it true that the game has a 4GB patch already and suffers from connection issues? I'm so hoping it turns out great, but the 30GB install and 4GB patch thing really scares me.

Not a 4gb patch. There is a large 1gb patch and some smaller ones.

And since starting, I have had ZERO issues with connectivity.

garath

tahrikmili said:

I don't know about any connection issues today but when I installed yesterday it was a 600mb patch and I connected just fine.

Truant

So, is there any way to download this patch without having the game? I'm getting it tomorrow, but I want to get the patch now so I won't have to download it when I could be playing.

Truant said:
So, is there any way to download this patch without having the game? I'm getting it tomorrow, but I want to get the patch now so I won't have to download it when I could be playing.

Fairly sure you cannnot. I looked myself.

Bright side, if your connection is good it goes fast. Installing the DvDs took longer than downloading all those patches.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm up to level 7 now and having some fun. It runs like frosted ass on my poor PC at the moment, but when I entered the Night Tortage instance, it started running much better.

This thread has me really hyped to play this game. All the talk of how much fun you guys are having and the screenshots you're posting make me want to pick the game up tonight even though it'd probably be a slide show on my current PC.

Though, I would like to see some screenshots of the character creation process and some of the characters everyone has come up with. I heard it's pretty in depth with lots of sliders for just about everything and it's got me curious. Creating my character is one of my favorite parts of these games. :D

Concept17

Well servers just went down for a couple hours, I imagine for fixing that zone.

I'm just shy of 18 on my Bear Shaman, and I'm at the end of the destiny quest. Gonna finish up all other quests before doing it.

The class is pretty weak to begin with, but from what I hear, really takes shape in the 20s.

Having a blast so far. No server issues. Just FPS issues with my low end rig.

Great game.

iamblades

Atrophis said:
Iamblades: whats your /played time to get to 40? Funcom said it would take 250 hours to reach 80, people seem to be levelling a lot quicker than that though.

Oh and have you tried mounted combat yet aswell?

I'm sitting right around 30-35 hours, maybe a bit more than that, iirc. Servers down right now, so I can't give an exact figure.

Haven't tried any mounted combat yet, will do tonight and report back.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
How well put together does the SP aspect of the game feel? And do you get anything awesome at the end of it?

Xabora

Ikuu said:
How well put together does the SP aspect of the game feel? And do you get anything awesome at the end of it?
Its well done... considering solo play is the focus of the 1st 19 levels.

Xabora

tahrikmili said:
That's some draw distance. What hardware do you have?
C2D 2.4ghz E6600 (Liquid Cooling)
4gigs DDR2 Ram (A-Bit)
EVGA Geforce 8800GTS 640
Creative X-FI 64MB Ram
ASUS P5N-E SLI Mobo

WD SE16 250GB HDD - Windows XP (32bit) [Boot]
WD RE2 320GB HDD - Windows Vista Ultimate (64bit) [HDD Crashed so it wont be running till this weekend]
Generic 5400RPM Samsumg 20GIG HDD (From my 360) - Linux (Ubuntu 32bit)

Also in that screenshot I have 16xQ FSAA, 16xANSF.

Leatherface

Xabora said:
4gigs DDR2 Ram (A-Bit)
EVGA Geforce 8800GTS 640
Creative X-FI 64MB Ram
ASUS P5N-E SLI Mobo

WD RE2 320GB HDD - Windows Vista Ultimate (64bit) [HDD Crashed so it wont be running till this weekend]

Show off! You just loved posting that didn't you? =P

btw- Do any of you guys know how to perform a fatality? I've done a it a few times but I'm never quite sure how. lol.

grate

Leatherface said:

btw- Do any of you guys know how to perform a fatality? I've done a it a few times but I'm never quite sure how. lol.

There's a chance to have a fatality proc by killing an enemy with a combo/move/spell.

It isn't a guaranteed occurrence.

Xabora

Leatherface said:
Dont make me post machine number 2.
That baby is a master piece in cooling design. (Faster than the one I posted too. :p)

The one I posted was made prior to it.

nataku

I wish spellweaving was available sooner than Lv50. Spellcasting in this game is a little boring when you don't have the combo system melee fighters have available.

Xabora

nataku said:
I wish spellweaving was available sooner than Lv50. Spellcasting in this game is a little boring when you don't have the combo system melee fighters have available.
>_>

Mass AoE = WIN...

Took down 30+ bats earlier last night.

nataku

Should have mentioned I'm only Lv11 on my Demonologist. The pet helped a bit, but it hasn't hooked me so far like the melee combo system has.

What level are you, Xabora?

EDIT: NM, I see you're 20 in the picture above.

A Demonologist, too. Awesome, at least I know it does get better quick.

Xabora said:

Are you able to actually play the game like that or were the settings just for the screenshot?

Also, do you know what's the average FPS you experience with the rig you posted?

TimeKillr

Xabora said:
4gigs DDR2 Ram (A-Bit)
EVGA Geforce 8800GTS 640
Creative X-FI 64MB Ram
ASUS P5N-E SLI Mobo

Sweet. I pretty much have the same except my CPU is a bit lower and I have 2 gigs of ram.

So I'm confident the game will run fine :)

f@luS

More than a member.
almost 26 so far, i LOVE my assassin.

If i am "invisible" i win every 1v1 against same level or +1. IF i dont win, they run.
But if im not invisible, im dead meat :D you dont have any vanish or stuff like that... (i use water to get out of the fight :p)

i have like 350kill and 80death.

Seriously , the combo system is incredible with the asasssin. I havent tried the other (just a lvl 6 demo )

But having so many combos is a blast. AGainst some opponent i go for a poison combo or some other i go with a "less damage effect" combo, i sometimes need to do 2 or 3 different etc...that rox

Xabora

Confused101 said:
Are you able to actually play the game like that or were the settings just for the screenshot?

Also, do you know what's the average FPS you experience with the rig you posted?
Yup, no problems running it on my rig with those settings.
~35fps with FSAA and ANSF and 60+ without.

jestro said:
This may sound extra gay but can you turn off the gore?
Yes you can.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
So I've got the client all downloaded and patched, so can I buy a key online or do I have to drive the fuck down to Best Buy once I get off work?

grate

Kodiak said:
So I've got the client all downloaded and patched, so can I buy a key online or do I have to drive the fuck down to Best Buy once I get off work?

As far as I am aware you will have to pick up a retail copy at this point in time.

Ariexv said:
Are the auth servers down?

Servers are down for an update, according to the latest post on the official forums they will be back up at 4PM EDT.

centracore

I hadn't been paying attention to this game at all, but at this point I'm pretty much convinced that I'm going to buy it - as it stands right now I'm waiting for my new laptop to arrive (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHZ, Nvidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB, 4GB DDR2 RAM) which I assume should be able to run it decently from the system requirements.

Does anyone have a comparable system, if so, how does it run the game?

VaLiancY

Since GAF is full of heartless people, I will show kind of faith today. FUNCOM sent me an email saying I was such a great member of their community they're giving me The Drinking Cape.

I don't even own the fucking game.

Xabora said:
Yup, no problems running it on my rig with those settings.
~35fps with FSAA and ANSF and 60+ without.

Thanks a bunch!

I'm going to be upgrading some time this year (probably sooner than later with this game out). It's nice to see how other people's builds are handling the game.

SpectreRT

I may be buying this on the way home from work.... depending on how my comp can run the game...

AMDx2 4600+ (Socket 939)
2gb Corsair XMS DDR
8800GTS 640
Creative sound card
typical 7200 RPM SATA

Hows it gonna do? =\

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
SpectreRT said:
I may be buying this on the way home from work.... depending on how my comp can run the game...

AMDx2 4600+ (Socket 939)
2gb Corsair XMS DDR
8800GTS 640
Creative sound card
typical 7200 RPM SATA

Hows it gonna do? =\

You will be fine.

Leatherface

centracore said:
I hadn't been paying attention to this game at all, but at this point I'm pretty much convinced that I'm going to buy it - as it stands right now I'm waiting for my new laptop to arrive (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHZ, Nvidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB, 4GB DDR2 RAM) which I assume should be able to run it decently from the system requirements.

The only thing that may cause an issue is the 8800gt 256mb. I believe recommended is 512mb video ram.

TwIsTeD

centracore said:

i have the 8600gt in my desktop and my friend has a similar spec laptop you should be ok since on my desktop which is similar spec runs about 25 fps in town, 30-35fps outside (at 1440x900) :D

Ariexv

VaLiancY said:
Since GAF is full of heartless people, I will show kind of faith today. FUNCOM sent me an email saying I was such a great member of their community they're giving me The Drinking Cape.

I don't even own the fucking game.
lol I got that today as well.....

Muppet345

centracore said:

I've got a MBP with these specs (except 2.4 GHZ) and so does a friend with the game. I haven't talked to him much but he says it runs fine on medium. I'm not sure what resolution he's using though.

edit: oh damn you get FPS that good on 1440x900? low or medium?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I get around 30ish fps with an athlon64 3000+, 1 gig of ram and a 1900XTX (adjusted low settings). So, people with 2 gigs ram, a cpu made in the last 3 years and DX10 capable card should get some moderately high settings running at a good framerate and good resolution.

ZeroEdge

They sent that out to a lot of people today. I think it was a bonus for having been signed up with their old forums (which if I'm not mistaken you had to do way back in the day when they first started taking application's for closed Beta), at least that's what I have heard anyway. I was glad though because I put the code in today when I filled in my registration info for AOC as I was able to finally get my copy yay :D

I know some people are having technical issues (looking at the official forums) but honestly I'm not seeing any issues at the moment everything has been running super smooth for me from setting up the account to logging in and playing. So far I love the combo system in combat, it just feels more interactive then just clicking auto attack like in other MMO's. Hell I tried to go play wow for a bit today during the server downtime and I just couldn't bring myself to do it, it felt so boring compared to running in with my bear shaman and crushing skulls with my giant 2 handed hammer :D I have no doubt this game will keep me entertained for a while as it's already replaced my daily wow addiction hehe.

hiryu

One question, is it possible to solo in the non single player part of the game and do some classes solo better than others or is it like wow and everyone can solo?

Top Bottom