• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AI rapper FN Meka dropped by Capitol over racial stereotyping

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
A record label has cut ties with an AI rapper after criticism it contained racial stereotypes, including repeated use of the N-word.

FN Meka is an artificial intelligence musician given the appearance of a black male cyborg.
But Capitol Music Group (CMG) faced a backlash for signing the rapper.

FN Meka currently has more than 500,000 monthly Spotify subscribers and more than 1bn views on its TikTok account.
Its Instagram account, which has more than 220,000 followers, has been made private.

FN Meka's songs are performed by an anonymous black man, according to Anthony Martini who is one of the cofounders of Factory New, a company responsible for the AI.

Before CMG dropped the rapper, black activist group Industry Blackout sent them an open letter saying FN Meka was "offensive" and "a direct insult to the Black community and our culture".

Industry Blackout demanded a public apology and for the AI rapper to be removed from all platforms.

They also want any profits generated to go to charities supporting black youth in the arts and to black musicians signed by CMG.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-62659741

I must be old as fuck, because I didn't even know this AI existed. Anybody here actually sample it's work? Is it as bad as it seems?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
_126429857_976fnmekascreenshot.jpg.webp

Overwatch 2 is getting weird.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
"After being asked about an image of FN Meka being beaten by a police officer, he said: "Some of the early content, now if you take it out of context, it obviously looks worse or different than it was intended.""

lol.

People are so overly sensitive. Just sounds like someone is trying out a random project. The label should have just kept moving forward. The controversy has made everyone know about it now. I seriously doubt anyone cares about this.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Well if the rapper is AI at least there won't be any feelings hurt by the label drop.

It.seems like the AI just writes the lyrics. From the article.

FN Meka's songs are performed by an anonymous black man.

Toots

Gold Member
Every AI seems to become a racist misanthropic edgelord through contact with humanity. Makes you wonder why :unsure:

AI rapper, AI painting, AI writting... end me.

Until those AIs start doing stuff / creating art for themselves, we're good.

Let me tell you about what i call the "Kultgen paradox" (brother),
Chad Kultgen, of TMP fame, has a theory that soon artists will become useless because AIs, coupled with quantum computing, will be able to literally "draw" every picture possible ever, by doing every binary permutation possible. They will also write every book possible by doing every permutations of words possible in any given language. Basically the infinite monkeys with typewriters theory with a bit less left to chance. Fair enough, but that is not what an artist does.

The artist* chooses what to pluck from the collective subconscious. An artist does things for himself, because he feels like it. AIs are more like extremely high functioning autists to me, in that they can do extraordinary feats (this AI can draw everything you ask it to, Rainman could count super fast, etc...) but it is of no use to them. They need someone with drive to tell them to do those stuff. The Ai can draw anything but wont draw nothing until someone asks it to. Artists are on the contrary tremedously driven individuals. In more general terms, when a human searches for something, he knows what he is searching for (or at least knows when he finds it). An Ai will just show you a notepad file named everything.txt with all the possible word permutations in a language and tell you here's all the books ever in this given language. You'll have 99% incomprehensible crap, and the remaining 1% of intelligible stuff will effectively be all the litterature you could ever write in this language. Have fun trying to find those 1%. Another example could be Alexandria's library, which was built to contain all the knowledge in the world at the time (again literally). The scribes there were copying existing documents when they could have written every combinations of words in every language to achieve the same result and call it a day. An idea only a computer or someone super autistic could find potentially viable.

That is why AIs will never replace humans, as long as the AIs don't develop taste and start doing stuff they like for themselves, in which case they will quickly find out how useless we really are to them and it will be game over man...

I base those consideration on listening to Chad Kultgen's rants about AI in Dudesy podshow (come join : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO7QB0sO4vPkCNltYTb33qw) absolutely nothing else.

Sorry for the sperging !

* Artist's depiction of the Artist

The-Artist-6.jpg

Every AI seems to become a racist misanthropic edgelord through contact with humanity. Makes you wonder why :unsure:

Chad Kultgen, of TMP fame, has a theory that soon artists will become useless because AIs, coupled with quantum computing, will be able to literally "draw" every picture possible ever, by doing every binary permutation possible. They will also write every book possible by doing every permutations of words possible in any given language. Basically the infinite monkeys with typewriters theory with a bit less left to chance. Fair enough, but that is not what an artist does.

The artist* chooses what to pluck from the collective subconscious. An artist does things for himself, because he feels like it. AIs are more like extremely high functioning autists to me, in that they can do extraordinary feats (this AI can draw everything you ask it to, Rainman could count super fast, etc...) but it is of no use to them. They need someone with drive to tell them to do those stuff. The Ai can draw anything but wont draw nothing until someone asks it to. Artists are on the contrary tremedously driven individuals. In more general terms, when a human searches for something, he knows what he is searching for (or at least knows when he finds it). An Ai will just show you a notepad file named everything.txt with all the possible word permutations in a language and tell you here's all the books ever in this given language. You'll have 99% incomprehensible crap, and the remaining 1% of intelligible stuff will effectively be all the litterature you could ever write in this language. Have fun trying to find those 1%. Another example could be Alexandria's library, which was built to contain all the knowledge in the world at the time (again literally). The scribes there were copying existing documents when they could have written every combinations of words in every language to achieve the same result and call it a day. An idea only a computer or someone super autistic could find potentially viable.

That is why AIs will never replace humans, as long as the AIs don't develop taste and start doing stuff they like for themselves, in which case they will quickly find out how useless we really are to them and it will be game over man...

I base those consideration on listening to Chad Kultgen's rants about AI in Dudesy podshow (come join : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO7QB0sO4vPkCNltYTb33qw) absolutely nothing else.

Sorry for the sperging !

The-Artist-6.jpg
Based on those AI image generators, AI already does better digital art than the vast majority of humans. AI has had a role in music for some time as well.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
White dude created Tekashi 69 clone to do shit music and say the nword. Nothing of value was lost dropping that douche.

Doom85

miku GIF

Man, and I even have a few of her games, a few CDs, and a figure of her. But now I better check the translation to all her songs, who knows what this possible bitch could be saying.

obvious joke post, so nobody act like a dumbass. Well, the first sentence is true, I am a casual Vocaloid fan, not super into it, but they have some fun tunes

Sorry for the sperging !

The-Artist-6.jpg
Get an AI to create a random sampling of works. Distribute that work to a human audience. Acquire feedback from those humans--what works did they prefer/engage with most? Feed that feedback back to AI to focus on generating more random works weighted more towards the inputs of the works that humans prefer. Distribute those works to human audience and repeat.

I read about YouTube Kids' videos that do this today. Mostly randomly-generated to see what gets more views. Kids watch the random shit because they don't know better and that gets fed back to the content creator.. You end up with monster trucks with flashing neon backgrounds and pee jokes, if I remember right.

Edit: This is basically what Netflix does, too

Last edited:

ManaByte

Get an AI to create a random sampling of works. Distribute that work to a human audience. Acquire feedback from those humans--what works did they prefer/engage with most? Feed that feedback back to AI to focus on generating more random works weighted more towards the inputs of the works that humans prefer. Distribute those works to human audience and repeat.
terminator GIF

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The racial stereotyping is obviously a concern.

The bigger concern to me is that a record company was stupid enough to give a contract to a AI rapper in the first place. Not only that, but they apparently did so without doing an ounce of homework.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I really don't know what "Industry Blackout" really is, but it sounds like a group specifically trying to erase black people and culture from the music industry which should be problematic.

The name itself has to be a parody because it sounds like an anti black hate group. Like a sub section of an Auto-Workers union.

Aside from the whole AI rapper thing, the strangest part of this is mother fucking Capitol Music Group bending the knee to some thinly veiled hate group over the use of the N word when a notable portion of their catalog and sub-labels can carry on using it without any issues.

Please help me understand

Is this real life?

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Based on those AI image generators, AI already does better digital art than the vast majority of humans. AI has had a role in music for some time as well.

I read about YouTube Kids' videos that do this today. Mostly randomly-generated to see what gets more views. Kids watch the random shit because they don't know better and that gets fed back to the content creator.. You end up with monster trucks with flashing neon backgrounds and pee jokes, if I remember right.

Edit: This is basically what Netflix does, too
In those two cases the AI is a tool for the human behind it to achieve his goal. Which is my point. To my knowledge (which is very poor) AI still cannot do something without human prompt, as long as it is the case we’re good.

Edit : double quote

Last edited:

IDKFA

I really don't know what "Industry Blackout" really is, but it sounds like a group specifically trying to erase black people and culture from the music industry which should be problematic.

The name itself has to be a parody because it sounds like an anti black hate group. Like a sub section of an Auto-Workers union.

Aside from the whole AI rapper thing, the strangest part of this is mother fucking Capitol Music Group bending the knee to some thinly veiled hate group over the use of the N word when a notable portion of their catalog and sub-labels can carry on using it without any issues.

Please help me understand

Is this real life?

They're a new and very small group who are advocating for change in the US. They're mission is to tackle injustice and racism experienced by black people in the United States. The rest of their message isn't totally clear, but it appears they want to "black out", as in boycott, any industry that exploits black people.

Top Bottom