• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Airbus shows off concept for hydrogen powered planes (coming 2035)

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
LOL Hydrogen is almost every where. What do you think water is made out of?
There are also scientists developing vacuum flywheel tech. With the goal of splitting water fast enough for a average combustion engine to work, with out having to even store the hydrogen in a tank! Instead you'd have a water tank for fuel.
You shouldn't laugh if you're this ignorant.
Pure hydrogen is not readily available on Earth. We need to produce hydrogen fuel from water or methane. That costs energy. The only way to get pure hydrogen is from space, but guess what - that costs energy too, and is not going to be feasible in our lifetimes.

DB2020NR00104_overfull.jpg

Nope, and I won't talk to you anymore you lording twonk.
So what haven’t I answered and why haven’t you retorted any of my posts? Oh that’s right, you don’t know what you’re talking about. But please, keep thinking that $4 is more money than $13.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Pure hydrogen is not readily available on Earth. We need to produce hydrogen fuel from water or methane. That costs energy. The only way to get pure hydrogen is from space, but guess what - that costs energy too, and is not going to be feasible in our lifetimes.

So what haven’t I answered and why haven’t you retorted any of my posts? Oh that’s right, you don’t know what you’re talking about. But please, keep thinking that $4 is more money than $13.

So FYI, Hydrogen from solar can be quite cheap if produced locally and not moved, which can totally be doable in airports.
They have a lot of land area and won't be using fuel cells.

The cheapest solar energy deal in the world was signed by Abu Dhabi at $0.0135/kWh.
The best processes for water electrolysis have an effective electrical efficiency of 70-80%.
So the cheapest we can produce Hydrogen is around $0.7425/kg from Solar.

Hydrogen is really dumb for cars and decentralized demand as we have done most of the work for distributing electricity already.
Your graph shows really well how superior Electric cars are.

But for Planes and Ships and Train, where we know where they go and can pull up ressources to create a hydrogen economy.
Hydrogen scale very well at high energy needs and cars aren't that high demand on energy
This graph has a very different shape when you want to fly or move 10000 containers over large body of water.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

All three ZEROe concepts are hydrogen-hybrid aircraft. They are powered by hydrogen combustion through modified gas turbine engines. Liquid hydrogen is used as fuel for combustion with oxygen.

In addition, hydrogen fuel cells create electrical power that complements the gas turbine, resulting in a highly efficient hybrid-electric propulsion system. All of these technologies are complementary, and the benefits are additive.

So totally different thing than you talk about, yeah there are some fuel cells for aux power, but this is not about electric engines. I think it was fairly apparent.

jonnyp

No thanks, I will not sit my ass in anything that has a hydrogen tank. And how are they gonna produce hydrogen with zero emissions? Save hydrogen production for when/if we get a working fusion reactor.

Ornlu

Banned
Hydrogen cars are already a thing and doing far better then those battery pack versions. The only problem is creating the hydrogen is expensive on energy, but with future power plants that won't be much of a issue anymore. Which basically makes electric for heavy machinery a thing. Also for cars i can see hydrogen being the future over battery packs for multiple reasons.

This post would have made sense in 2000-2005. It makes less sense today. There's a reason most car manufacturers aren't going after hydrogen any more.

Electric battery's are a real hazard for city area's because of the battery packs that simple will not go out when fire breaks out. It's even so bad they are currently here removing those charge stations out of flats and out of the city's denser areas like parking lots under flats.

Then the longer reach of a car with hydrogen which makes it suddenly possible to run trucks and other heavily equipment with it which is practically most of our traffic, and also the refuel time is beyond shorter then with electric cars. Which are big reasons battery powered trucks and mini trucks which are probably a big base of car users on the road will not move over towards battery tech anytime soon if at all.

Less powerup / refuel stations needed, faster fueling etc. ( no need to completely overhaul electric systems which is a big plus for governments )

No batteries in general. Which brings in a lot less costs and hassle and weight into the picture.

Battery type what tesla is pushing forwards is a good step forwards but honestly unless something drastically changes i don't' see it have much of a future. More and more car manufacturers move into hydrogen in europe and fuel stations are build more and more. And this will continue as battery's are simple just a mid step in between as of now.

The real clux of hydrogen atm is that there are fast interest in pushing electric battery cars forwards because of existing contracts and deals that are made, so its harder for hydrogen to get adopted because of it, but this is changing.

So yea there are lots of area's where hydrogen overtakes battery's really. However there are downsides towards it.
More explosive than battery packs. So a big boom that goes out vs a endless burning fire hazard, ( no clue however how the tanks are now to be honest, didn't follow much of it ).
More expensive to create the fuel, which could be fixed with thorium power stations in the future.
Have to put in a more expensive installation to supply fuel stations with it, but that offload the cost of having to revamp your entire electrical grid.
Technology wise/ use and application. Really battery tech is limited to such a extent it's not much more useful then being used in smaller cars and family cars basically what elon musk sells. For actual transport products like trucks / cars and planes and even mini fans that take up most of the road, electric powered cars are simple not a solution as of now simple because of the battery packs but that could change with hydrogen.

I wasn't talking about sales and adoption rate here if you thought i was. That's because governments etc don't' subsidize it massively as its new technology and there is fast interest and investment already being pushed out in power stations for battery's. but the needle is shifting here on that front pretty drastically in the last few years because there is fast interest in pushing electric engine forwards.

Why do you foresee hydrogen as the future, vs. electric? Everything I've read points away from hydrogen going anywhere.

How about being not anal about it.

Is it anal to confront someone when they are saying something that you know to be false?

Top Bottom