• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Airplane" director's new film to take on "the far left"; hilarity ensues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Zucker is plainly not worried about offending anyone. David Alan Grier plays a slave in a scene designed to show Malone what might have happened if the United States had not fought the Civil War. As Patton explains to a dumbfounded Malone that the plantation they are visiting is his own, Grier thanks the documentarian for being such a humane owner. As they leave, another slave, played by Gary Coleman, finishes polishing a car and yells "Hey, Barack!" before tossing the sponge to someone off-camera.

Civil Rights and Slavery. Those extremist left wingers and their crazy causes.

OuterWorldVoice said:
I like Colin, but I hate his show. It's racism presented to drunk frat boys in the guise of keepin' it real.

You mean Tough Crowd? Nah. I disagree. He had black comedians on. I think that show was about messing with everybody. There are worse offenders in frat boy category like Howard Stern (who I like btw)

Zucker is plainly not worried about offending anyone. David Alan Grier plays a slave in a scene designed to show Malone what might have happened if the United States had not fought the Civil War. As Patton explains to a dumbfounded Malone that the plantation they are visiting is his own, Grier thanks the documentarian for being such a humane owner. As they leave, another slave, played by Gary Coleman, finishes polishing a car and yells "Hey, Barack!" before tossing the sponge to someone off-camera.

You know, not being American and all I might be totally getting this wrong but, I always considered the North to be uh... the equivalent of "uber left hippiestyle" out of the two here.

Guess you had to be there?

Dragona Akehi said:
You know, not being American and all I might be totally getting this wrong but, I always considered the North to be uh... the equivalent of "uber left hippiestyle" out of the two here.

It's not exactly great consistent ideology there. Slavery and the Civil War was a state's rights issue. Something modern republicans you could argue would be on the side of the state on. (Not saying modern republicans want slavery before that gets thrown in there by someone)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dragona Akehi said:

Sometimes the words speak for themselves. If that text appears to be crazy racist bullshit with little in the way of detectable humor, you may be reading it right.

Azih

I dont' know in a climate where Bush can be called a 'liberal' just because he spends a lot (Hey Gaborn) I'd imagine you can accuse liberals of any damn thing you want and some people will lap it up.

Xdrive05

The best satire of the left for the past, oh I don't know, gazillion years, has come from the South Park guys, who come off as more libertarian than conservative or right-wing anyway. And they mostly focus on the amazing hubris of the popular left, which is exactly what they need to be called on and always has been.

Damn near everyone I know who hates the American left hates it for exactly that reason. They'd be capable of so much more if they'd knock that shit off. More people would buy their cause which, guess what, is kind of the whole fucking point of their end of the political spectrum.

His ridiculous talk of anti-Americanism in the left and his inaccurate, simple claims that the left blames ourselves for 9/11 reads like a parody itself. I never realized this guy was such a stupid pussy.

And I agree with the post above that South Park is amazing at ruining liberals. If something doesn't make sense, they rightly nail Democrats on it without resorting to retarded terrorist scare jokes and calling people names for liking to think deeper into our problems than just "fuck the brown guys!" I can't believe how cowardly and simple conservatives have become since 9/11.

laserbeam said:
You know in Hollywood that is mostly true. Hollywood has a very large mindset in one direction.
Yes, making a fuckton of money. If conservative "values" put asses in theater seats, you'd see a lot more movies extolling such.

This movie looks Uwe Boll-levels of shitty. Team America made fun of liberals in a funny way, so it can be done, but this ain't it.

Is Kelsey Grammer actually respected as a Republican? He's a drug addict and alcoholic, he marries strippers and Playmates, he wrecks his car drinking and driving, he's an adulterer, he's been accused of statutory rape, he's taped his sex acts and he's got a family history of tragedy to rival the Kennedys. Good luck with that run for Congress, Frasier!

Xdrive05

adamsappel said:
Yes, making a fuckton of money. If conservative "values" put asses in theater seats, you'd see a lot more movies extolling such.

This movie looks Uwe Boll-levels of shitty. Team America made fun of liberals in a funny way, so it can be done, but this ain't it.

Is Kelsey Grammer actually respected as a Republican? He's a drug addict and alcoholic, he marries strippers and Playmates, he wrecks his car drinking and driving, he's an adulterer, he's been accused of statutory rape, he's taped his sex acts and he's got a family history of tragedy to rival the Kennedys. Good luck with that run for Congress, Frasier!

He played one in Swing Vote. Pretty convincingly too!

AniHawk said:
The right sorta hi-jacked the Republican party sometime after Teddy Roosevelt was president. I think the big switch happened when FDR became president and the North shifted more Democrat and the south turned Republican. It was during the civil rights movements in the 50s and 60s that solidified the modern landscape, I think.

Or something. It's been a while since I've taken a history class. :p

The Modern Dem party is rooted in FDR, LBJ, but to the right of that. Modern Republicans are rooted in Goldwater and Reagan. This is a generalization of course but that's the way blanket statements work. Once you go back 100 years though neither party is remotely like they were back then as the issues and demographics have changed so much.

adamsappel said:

I think I pointed this out in some earlier thread but then there is always that strong divide in republican circles between economic conservatives and social conservatives. In addition Jon Voight has a terrible relationship with his daughter Angelina Jolie.

I also like this quote.

Jon Voight, who says he was "duped" as a young man into rallying against the Vietnam war

Now how exactly does that happen?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
adamsappel said:
Is Kelsey Grammer actually respected as a Republican? He's a drug addict and alcoholic, he marries strippers and Playmates, he wrecks his car drinking and driving, he's an adulterer, he's been accused of statutory rape, he's taped his sex acts and he's got a family history of tragedy to rival the Kennedys.
Shit, with those credentials it's a wonder he's not the Greatest Republican Ever. :lol

MisterHero

adamsappel said:
hey i'd vote for beast!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The last film of his sucked but hopefully this one is better. Though his reasons behind becoming a Republican kinda want to make me scream..... does that mean it's working?

Pellham

Banned
adamsappel said:

republicans are just rich people. i'd be one too if i made 250k+.

(granted i'd be a fairly liberal republican, but lower taxes for the rich would suddenly become my #1 priority if i was in the 40%+ income tax bracket)

Stoney Mason said:
Now how exactly does that happen?

Simple, hippie tells Voight there's a Brownie Festival (everyone loves brownies) and when he goes to the festival he eats the brownies (tainted with marijuana because it's hippies) and by the time the anti-Vietnam war speeches start Voight is in no condition to disagree.

I don't care if the movie is shit or not, I'm just glad to see something like this. I hate, hate, HATE political fighting bullshit, but I've been DROWNING in anti-Bush "jokes" for the last eight years. It isn't funny anymore. When "Little Bush" got picked up by Comedy Central I was dumbfounded. Really? People STILL find those jokes funny? (Enough for TWO seasons!?!)

It's just somehow refreshing to see a movie like this come out. Finally something different.

Plus, I LOVE Airplane! and The Naked Gun, so maybe, just maybe, this... well... I dunno, don't wanna get my hopes up.

grandjedi6

WordAssassin said:
I don't care if the movie is shit or not, I'm just glad to see something like this. I hate, hate, HATE political fighting bullshit, but I've been DROWNING in anti-Bush "jokes" for the last eight years. It isn't funny anymore. When "Little Bush" got picked up by Comedy Central I was dumbfounded. Really? People STILL find those jokes funny? (Enough for TWO seasons!?!)

It's just somehow refreshing to see a movie like this come out. Finally something different.

Plus, I LOVE Airplane! and The Naked Gun, so maybe, just maybe, this... well... I dunno, don't wanna get my hopes up.

Yeah but then you read things like this:

Zucker is plainly not worried about offending anyone. David Alan Grier plays a slave in a scene designed to show Malone what might have happened if the United States had not fought the Civil War. As Patton explains to a dumbfounded Malone that the plantation they are visiting is his own, Grier thanks the documentarian for being such a humane owner. As they leave, another slave, played by Gary Coleman, finishes polishing a car and yells "Hey, Barack!" before tossing the sponge to someone off-camera

and you realize that this isn't a true attempt at comedy but a random attack at liberals.

WordAssassin said:
Have you ever watched South Park? Nearly every other episode destroys liberal politics. People just don't notice most of the time because South Park is actually smart and clever as hell when it wants to be instead of the usual inane garbage that passes for left-bashing.

Jonm1010

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Have you ever watched South Park? Nearly every other episode destroys liberal politics. People just don't notice most of the time because South Park is actually smart and clever as hell when it wants to be instead of the usual inane garbage that passes for left-bashing.

I don't know about that at all. They have their moments but its mostly more about attacking social issues and individuals than anything else and frankly, Trey and Matt have done their share of conservative bashing too.

Oh yes, I love South Park.

But I mean, for the most part, the liberals have

American Dad
Colbert Report
Daily Show
Little Bush
That's My Bush
Mind of Mencia (Even if you don't want him! Neither does anyone else!)

and just about everything else, even South Park. And in just about every movie that shows Bush they portray him as the biggest fucking idiot ever. Seen Transformers? "Go grab me some Ding Dongs will ya?" Jesus.

Seriously, though, I'm not trying to start shit. I don't really align myself with either side because it just brings about too much stupid unnecessary fighting. But you can't deny that there is a certain direction that Hollywood and the media tend to lean, and it's not usually to the right.

Jonm1010 said:
frankly, Trey and Matt have done their share of conservative bashing too.
Well yeah, because they're not dumb enough to fall for the fake arguments created by the two-party system.

WordAssassin said:

American Dad
Colbert Report
Daily Show
Little Bush
That's My Bush

and just about everything else, even South Park. And in just about every movie that shows Bush they portray him as the biggest fucking idiot ever. Seen Transformers? "Go grab me some Ding Dongs will ya?" Jesus.

Seriously, though, I'm not trying to start shit. I don't really align myself with either side because it just brings about too much stupid unnecessary fighting. But you can't deny that there is a certain direction that Hollywood and the media tend to lean, and it's not usually to the right.
FOX NEWS

It really isn't Hollywood's fault that conservatives generally just aren't funny. You can watch Fox News's attempts at humor shows to find that out quickly.

FoneBone

South Park's political nuances are getting massively overrated here; half the time they take an oh-so-edgy stance of not taking a stance. The worst offender is the "I'm A Little Bit Country" episode that aired around the time the Iraq War started, where we learn that pro-war and anti-war types are both what "make America great." Gee, thanks, guys.

grandjedi6

WordAssassin said:

American Dad
Colbert Report
Daily Show
Little Bush
That's My Bush

Bush jokes should really be separated from conservative/liberal jokes. Bush jokes are so prevalent because of how low Bush's approval ratings are.

EDIT: and Clinton jokes were almost as prevalant as Bush jokes so its not like Bush is unique or anything

grandjedi6 said:
and you realize that this isn't a true attempt at comedy but a random attack at liberals.

Uh hello. Barrack Obama is against the war in Iraq. Therefore Liberals (Michael Moore in this case) are against all wars. Therefore if Liberals like Michael Moore had been around then the civil war wouldn't have been fought. Therefore black people would still be slaves and Barack Obama would be a slave along with Gary Coleman washing cars. Stop pretending that isn't a great piece of funny satire!

Jonm1010

Banned
WordAssassin said:

American Dad
Colbert Report
Daily Show
Little Bush
That's My Bush

Yea but this movie is about on the intelligence level as the Bugs Bunny Cartoons Nips the Nips and Tokio Jokio

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
fuck this guy. it must be very comforting for him to assume that liberals do anything they do because they HATE AMERICA.

this sounds like uwe boll- caliber stuff. gary coleman??

FoneBone said:
South Park's political nuances are getting massively overrated here; half the time they take an oh-so-edgy stance of not taking a stance. The worst offender is the "I'm A Little Bit Country" episode that aired around the time the Iraq War started, where we learn that pro-war and anti-war types are both what "make America great." Gee, thanks, guys.

Nobody hits it out the park every time. There is definitely a bit of playing the rebel just to be rebel in South Park or in other words people that just annoy Trey for whatever random reason sometimes get unfairly blasted. But everybody has a little bit of that in them. They still often deliver some very insightful stuff. Douche and Turd is a great example despite that gif and attitude being overused it's a really great point.

Well yeah, because they're not dumb enough to fall for the fake arguments created by the two-party system.

FOX NEWS

It really isn't Hollywood's fault that conservatives generally just aren't funny. You can watch Fox News's attempts at humor shows to find that out quickly.
I knew someone would say Fox News. :lol Do they really have a comedy show? (I never watch Fox, or any other news channel to be honest. Like I said I try as hard as I can to stay away from political bullshit.) I get my news from GAF! :lol

Tim-E

WordAssassin said:
I knew someone would say Fox News. :lol Do they really have a comedy show? (I never watch Fox, or any other news channel to be honest. Like I said I try as hard as I can to stay away from political bullshit.) I get my news from GAF! :lol

They tried to make a "Daily Show"-like show a while back and it was fucking terrible.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
neocons and humor do not mix well. it all ends up sounding like ann coulter wrote it. funny she should pop up in that article!

people to strike off my 'cool' list:

david allen grier
kelsey grammer
john 'joe buck' voight

:(

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Eventually, the conversation turns from policy to punditry. Grammer, who is friends with Ann Coulter, says he quoted her once to some of the young people who work for him.

"'Ann Coulter,'" he says, recalling their horror and assuming their voice. "'She's the antichrist.' And I said: 'What the f-- do you know about the antichrist? You don't even believe in Christ.'"

This whole thing above makes me hate all of the people involved with what I now consider to be a piece of shit film. How the fuck did the dude above know that the people don't 'believe in christ'? I bet he assumed it. Furthermore, you don't need to have faith in god to accurately describe the antichrist.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Hollywood Takes on the Left
David Zucker, the director who brought us 'Airplane!' and 'The Naked Gun,' turns his sights on anti-Americanism.

He brought us that 20 years ago.
Right now he is bringing us Scary Movie 4, Scary Movie 3 & Superhero Movie

Socreges

Banned
this is what i've noticed lately and i'd like to hear people's thoughts on this:

what is the "far left"?? people that distinctly identify themselves as being on the right (they often 'other' themselves, something 'liberals' don't do nearly as much) are always talking about liberals and the far left and such things as if there is some massive ongoing monolithic movement. the important problem here is that they have not found a way to articulate what exactly is going on. it's like no one has tried because it's impossible. so there are vague accusations thrown at the 'left' (now the 'far left') like they are conspiring against america.

the alleged 'far left' to me seems like a composite of:

- prominent individuals (celebrities or whatever) that are critical of the bush administration
- a mainstream media (CNN, MSNBC, NBC, ABC, CBS) that is likewise critical of the bush administration and certain policies. there is a slant here, but i'm beginning to think it can't possibly be a deliberate creation but is instead an expression of the american public and general observation on political situations. this slant is becoming more distinct and this is, imo, a product of political activity, and not a conscious shift.

- the 'far right' is not often referred to by the left, instead being created by FOX and certain media personalities and the odd celebrity. by victimizing themselves and creating the vision of this massive 'far left' movement, they invariably create themselves.

you know what? i don't know how the fuck to articulate this. it's so confusing and i haven't read nearly enough on it. there is something going on. these left/right categories have clearly been made more distinct and robust in recent years by divisive issues and the right which have sensed their opinions being marginalized and have subsequently othered themselves and created the appropriate discourse. in sum, i can't put it any better atm than that

Socreges said:
this is what i've noticed lately and i'd like to hear people's thoughts on this:

what is the "far left"?? people that distinctly identify themselves as being on the right (they often 'other' themselves, something 'liberals' don't do nearly as much) are always talking about liberals and the far left and such things as if there is some massive ongoing monolithic movement. the important problem here is that they have not found a way to articulate what exactly is going on. it's like no one has tried because it's impossible. so there are vague accusations thrown at the 'left' (now the 'far left') like they are conspiring against america.

- prominent individuals (celebrities or whatever) that are critical of the bush administration
- a mainstream media (CNN, MSNBC, NBC, ABC, CBS) that is likewise critical of the bush administration and certain policies. there is a slant here, but i'm beginning to think it can't possibly be a deliberate creation but is instead an expression of the american public and general observation on political situations. this slant is becoming more distinct and this is, imo, a product of political activity, and not a conscious shift.

- the 'far right' is not often referred to by the left, instead being created by FOX and certain media personalities and the odd celebrity. by victimizing themselves and creating the vision of this massive 'far left' movement, they invariably create themselves.

you know what? i don't know how the fuck to articulate this. it's so confusing and i haven't read nearly enough on it. there is something going on. these left/right categories have clearly been made more distinct and robust in recent years by divisive issues and the right which have sensed their opinions being marginalized and have subsequently othered themselves and created the appropriate discourse. in sum, i can't put it any better atm than that

"The far left" is somebody like Chomsky. A person who's views (whom I respect) tend towards socialism and direct criticism of perceived American imperialism. I'm simplifying way more complex arguments but whatever. In actual practical political terms in a mostly center right country the far left is someone like Dennis Kucinich. To Republican talking heads, the far left is the mainstream of the Democratic party, i.e, Hillary and Barrack are far left communists/socialists

Socreges said:

the "far right" has been successfully framing political discourse in a way such that anything remotely opposing it is automatically considered "far left raging liberal"

Oftentimes it's not even based on any logical separation of issues. Hell, the vast majority of people in our country support "leftist liberal" policies (social security, leaving Iraq, universal health care, government regulations of business, etc.). But not as many people refer to themselves as "liberal" or "leftist". That's why when polls are done on generic issues, people tend to lean democrat, but when it comes to self identification, it's usually moderate/conservative/center-right/etc.

It's a PR war that conservatives have won over the past 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom