• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aksys has no plans to dub BlazBlue Central Fiction [Petition Added to OP]

KiteGr

I play them all in Japanese anyway...

Just make sure that there are subs everywhere.
For examples, there are never subs when rival characters exchange dialogue when opening and closing a battle.

JayEH

But this isn't even an option. They aren't delaying the game no matter what. At this point it is, do you want English VAs eventually or never.

I'm just going off the post that they said it would take half a year to dub. If that is true, i think they made the right decision.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
we tournament players dont give a shit about delays. We import anyway like we still would this time around since the japanese version is over a month ahead. Stop speaking for us

You act like core gameplay is all there is to this series, clearly its demonstrably not. The lack of dub prevents many people from enjoying the game, a delay to get the dub in does not prevent gameplay only players from getting started

I'm not speaking for you. Clearly, those who are already diehard fans have the motivation to import it. However, more casual players won't bother. Then, when the game does finally come out, there is less incentive to buy it since there's already a large skill gap from those who imported.

A release schedule that fosters more disparity between hardcores and casuals, especially in a fighting game, is not going to look inviting for new people to join the scene.

Dubs in general should be a thing of the past. Regardless of origin it should always be original audio + subtitles. Better, cheaper and faster for everyone involved. People who dislike subtitles are simply refusing to even try (evident by the fact that such people just don't exist in countries which mainly sub).
What kinda nonsense is this

Rutger

Banned
Dubs in general should be a thing of the past. Regardless of origin it should always be original audio + subtitles. Better, cheaper and faster for everyone involved. People who dislike subtitles are simply refusing to even try (evident by the fact that such people just don't exist in countries which mainly sub).

Come on, speaking as someone that was never interested in BB's dub, it really isn't hard to see the benefits of a dub. One being that it allows people to understand battle dialogue(subs wouldn't work, because the fights are too hectic for that, plus subs would just get in the way of the screen).

Even if it's just a show or movie, a dub lets the watcher focus more on the animation/cinematography instead of the bottom of the screen. There's nothing hard about reading subs, but there's no getting around the fact that it splits the watcher's focus.

Z..

Ummmmmm no! Why shouldn't dubs be available? Especially in a long running series in which each previous game offered one? An what about games where the jp audio is ridiculously expensive to acquire or locked up in rights hell? Should the game then be released overseas with no voice acting period o.o?

I prefer dubs 90% of the time, and I am not alone in preferring them. I understand why people enjoy having the original audio, and I am fully capable of playing and enjoying a game that is sub-only, but as somebody that watches a ton of subtitled anime, being able to relax every now and then with a high quality dub (which are not as rare as some would have us believe) and listen to my own native language is awesome. Losing that option just because it gets a game released faster is simply not a worthwhile trade off for a lot of fans.

At the end of the day you enjoy what you enjoy, right? And you like it, right? You like it because it's institutional, but you like it. I get it. Dubs can be awesome and it's absolutely fine to enjoy them but please understand that just because some enjoy these features it does not mean everyone else should pay for it and wait extra for it. This is DLC.

Realistically, though, dubs will always be just an interpretation of the author's original intent. Inflection and tone say so much about a character and you're losing out on it and getting someone else's take on a character, an adaptation. For the laziest reason ever.

lmao what stupidity is this, good luck selling a million units in the west with no dub.

Realistically, though, dubs will always be just an interpretation of the author's original intent. Inflection and tone say so much about a character and you're losing out on it and getting someone else's take on a character, an adaptation. For the laziest reason ever.

You realize that localisation happens whether it's through subtitles, dubs, or both right?

And not to mention he author's 'original intent' is always changed by editors, script writers, publishers, focus groups whatever anyways.

Not to mention 99% of the people who watch something subbed won't notice anything about inflection or tone since it's all gibberish unless they're a they know the language or something.

People don't pay attention, and it's fine, dubs will never die, and for non live action stuff, never should.

That will never, ever happen. Even ignoring that some individuals prefer listening to exported games, movies etc in their own language (shocking I know), Products exported to nations with different languages of origin have a better chance at succeeding with a dub than without one.

Rutger

Banned

Subs can run into the same problem though, they're not always going to give an accurate translation.

Korigama

I play them all in Japanese anyway...

Just make sure that there are subs everywhere.
For examples, there are never subs when rival characters exchange dialogue when opening and closing a battle.
And there still won't be. As has been mentioned before, that would require additional programming to insert them even if they were a thing. If what's said during a battle is of consequence to you, but you aren't able to follow along in Japanese and dropping the English dub at the current story's finish line is of no consequence to you, then oh well.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member

The only way you are going to get the entirety of the "author's original intent" is by learning the original language. There's interpretation in any sort of translation, especially between languages as different from each other as Japanese and English.

s_mirage

Better? I take it you speak Japanese like a native then, because otherwise how can you judge whether the original acting is better? Use of tone, emphasis, etc, varies from language to language, and even if you ignore that, it's impossible to rate the delivery of a line if you don't understand the meaning of each individual word, the syntax, etc. Furthermore, a dub can reflect subtle nuances in the original live deliveries that would be lost in a sub only presentation. Consider how the same sentence can take on multiple, sometimes subtly, different meanings depending on how certain words are emphasised. This feature of speech is lost in subtitles.

Mizerman

Or I just simply prefer the English voice acting. I have no attachment for subs. Never will.

Z..

That will never, ever happen. Even ignoring that some individuals prefer listening to exported games, movies etc in their own language (shocking I know), Products exported to nations with different languages of origin have a better chance at succeeding with a dub than without one.

It's institutionalized, don't you see? That only applies to countries which dub.
I wonder... Why do you think NOBODY except children uses dubbed versions in countries that mainly sub? Bear in mind, our dubs are awesome.

Why do you think things are different?

It's institutionalized. There is no reason other than "that's how we've done it so far". We're wasting time and money because some refuse to abandon a demonstrably unnecessary custom.

It's institutionalized, don't you see? That only applies to countries which dub.
I wonder... Why do you think NOBODY except children uses dubbed versions in countries that mainly sub? Bear in mind, our dubs are awesome.

It's institutionalized. There is no reason other than "that's how we've done it so far". We're wasting time and money because some refuse to abandon a demonstrably unnecessary custom.

Institutionalized dubbing, the next real problem America has to tackle after they fix institutionalized racism.

DVCY201

Realistically, though, subs will always be just an interpretation of the author's original intent.

Yes, the very same subs you are touting, are not perfect. Let's look at Evangelion: when Gainax looked over the English subs, they insisted that 'Child' be 'Children', because there's no equivalency between the two languages. They had to fight to change it to 'First Child' instead of 'First Children'. Because that doesn't make any sense.

So really, what you're lazily saying is, learn the original language and invest yourself in the culture to get the TRUE intent.

Z..

Or I just simply prefer the English voice acting. I have no attachment for subs. Never will.

Understand?

Of course I understand. You're an english speaking native, entitlement is in your blood.

Better? I take it you speak Japanese like a native then, because otherwise how can you judge whether the original acting is better? Use of tone, emphasis, etc, varies from language to language, and even if you ignore that, it's impossible to rate the delivery of a line if you don't understand the meaning of each individual word, the syntax, etc.

And how are dubs better in any of those departments, exactly?

The only way you are going to get the entirety of the "author's original intent" is by learning the original language. There's interpretation in any sort of translation, especially between languages as different from each other as Japanese and English.

So because I can't get all of it I might as well get none of it?

Yasumi

Banned

That's a hell of a complex you've got there, implying dubs are for children. Get off your high horse.

Dubs allow a large portion of the audience to connect with the characters and story, in a way that reading text and hearing (essentially) gibberish vocal emotions don't convey. Certain media has shown to bring in a significantly larger audience if it has a dub.

It depends on the particular type of media too. Live action usually doesn't work because a vocal performance is influenced by the physical movement of the actor themself. Anime and cartoons though? It's just lip flaps, it can be dubbed in whatever language, and there's no guarantee that the original one is automatically the better one.

As someone who's done Japanese translation and subtitle work, often you can't convey an exact meaning in English. Or you have to translate the context more than the words themselves, because English doesn't work like Japanese. This happens literally all the time. Regardless, you're not getting the "pure" experience you seem to think you are. Dub, sub, they're both localizations.

Step up and learn the language if you're just going to act like an elitist snotfaced weeb.

Spman2099

Better? I take it you speak Japanese like a native then, because otherwise how can you judge whether the original acting is better? Use of tone, emphasis, etc, varies from language to language, and even if you ignore that, it's impossible to rate the delivery of a line if you don't understand the meaning of each individual word, the syntax, etc. Furthermore, a dub can reflect subtle nuances in the original live deliveries that would be lost in a sub only presentation. Consider how the same sentence can take on multiple, sometimes subtly, different meanings depending on how certain words are emphasised. This feature of speech is lost in subtitles.

Such a dumb argument...

I speak Japanese. I assure you, it isn't necessary to appreciate their voice work. Outside of video games, children's cartoons, and anime, dubs are fairly uncommon. Most people who watch foreign films prefer the use of subs; there is a reason for that.

Listen, I am not arguing against the inclusion of a dub. People like it, therefor I wish it was being provided. I am largely on your side here. Still, I am not going to sit back and let that silly comment stand.

ar4757

Of course I understand. You're an english speaking native, entitlement is in your blood.

And how are dubs better in any of those departments, exactly?

So because I can't get all of it I might as well get none of it?

Preferring dubs is entitlement? lol

It's not like he said no dub no buy

If I knew a way to read subs without missing out on the complete picture I would. I'm too busy focusing on the bottom of the screen, that it somewhat takes me out of the experience. Dubs should always be an option if given the chance. Especially for anime fighting games where the characters speak a lot more outside of saying the name of an attack.

Edit: Rutger already covered the point I was trying to make

Such a dumb argument...

I speak Japanese. I assure you, it isn't necessary to appreciate their voice work. Outside of video games, children's cartoons, and anime, dubs are fairly uncommon. Most people who watch foreign films prefer the use of subs; there is a reason for that.

No it's not, they're right.

And live action dubs just don't work well, so no shit anyone with not looking for a laugh prefers them subbed.

Spman2099

No it's not, they're right.

And live action dubs just don't work well, so no shit anyone with not looking for a laugh prefers them subbed.

Yet foreign films are still greatly enjoyed by people who don't speak that language... People are still moved by foreign dramatic films. Many still manage to be heralded and praised by foreign critics.

But how is that possible? Foreign intonation is simply impossible to understand or something... You have to understand every single word, otherwise everything being said is a total enigma. /s

Of course, that's total crap and you know it. It is a facile argument being made to artificially inflate the importance of the dub.

Everyone here has a right to complain. A beloved feature was removed from the latest iteration. That being said, the arguments are getting absolutely ridiculous in here.

Hubb

Yet foreign films are still greatly enjoyed by people who don't speak that language... People are still moved by foreign dramatic films. Many still manage to be heralded and praised by foreign critics.

But how is that possible? Foreign intonation is simply impossible to understand or something... You have to understand every single word, otherwise everything being said is a total enigma. /s

Of course, that's total crap and you know it. It is a facile argument being made to artificially inflate the importance of the dub.

Everyone here has a right to complain. A beloved feature was removed from the latest iteration. That being said, the arguments are getting absolutely ridiculous in here.

Yeah that Z guy is making some really ridiculous statements.

There is a reason Pixar, Disney, Star Wars, and other big films get dubbed into a ton of different languages. And it isn't just because they are for kids.

999 aaaaaand F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 1000!!!

I love seeing this community coming together like this. I don't want to get to hopeful, but this is an amazing run

1k was what I said I wanted the minimum goal to be, and it was cleared in a day

Certain posters on GAF are huge assholes to people who complain that there is no option for JP audio in Atlus titles, notably the upcoming Persona 5. Go look at any thread about Persona 5 and see for yourself. After being treated like shit by those people, I no longer have a single fuck left to give. I've been called a weeb for liking JP audio far too much to care about whether those people live or die anymore at this point.

You know you got a point and i admit defeat in this case so long as this games dub is sacrificed so that a million more JP audios are denied entry.

That's not what the post you quoted said at all, nice strawman.

You can enjoy a sub as much as you want, but unless you know the language there will be stuff you don't catch like it or not, doesn't mean you can't 'get it' or enjoy it and that it can't be the better way sometimes.

Nachos

I still really need to check out the BlazBlue games. Both casts seem to be pretty good, too, which makes the decision all the more egregious.

Attributing someone's enjoyment to institutionalization is a real roundabout way of calling them an idiot.

Z..

Dubs allow a large portion of the audience to connect with the characters and story, in a way that reading text and hearing (essentially) gibberish vocal emotions don't convey.

That is just not true. At all.

Yeah that Z guy is making some really ridiculous statements.

There is a reason Pixar, Disney, Star Wars, and other big films get dubbed into a ton of different languages. And it isn't just because they are for kids.

You're so wrong that there is no such thing as dubs outside kids movies in a huge amount of countries (like the whole of scandinavia, the place with the highest HDI in the world).

It's interesting how Scandinavians are so proficient at foreign languages...

Z..

Attributing someone's enjoyment to institutionalization is a real roundabout way of calling them an idiot.

Not calling anyone an idiot at all. If I had been born in a different country I'm sure my views would be different on the matter... but again, that would be due to institutionalization.

Ok, let's keep it simple and to the point... find me one single gaffer hailing from any subbing country that agrees with the pro dub sentiment. I just need a single one.

Bear in mind that we all grew up watching dubbed content (as it is the norm for stuff aimed at children) and are very familiar with both sides of the coin.

I just need you to find me one single person that fits that description and I'll learn the error of my ways.

Why is it that in countries where people have experienced both nobody is seeking out these dubs? Is it just a coincidence?

Cronox

Banned
That is just not true. At all.

What is this garbage. You're a mind-reader? You have such a high level of empathy you know what other people's experience of subs vs dubs is?

What is your agenda here? To harp on people who like dubs in general? To call English speakers entitled (as if these are the only dubs that are produced), specifically? To call US GAFers out on being monolingual?

Have you even played Blazblue?

Your institutionalization argument is meaningless - people like things that are made for their consumption specifically. It's why we get US-made remakes of foreign films, and why even Indian territories remake other Indian territorys' cinema. There are so many examples in so many different types of media and culture, the mind boggles at how this could be lost on you. Exoticism is nice until it gets repackaged and made more friendly - appealing to a mainstream audience. Then it's just some spice on top. Yoga, anyone?

duckroll

Ok, let's keep it simple and to the point... find me one single gaffer hailing from any subbing country that agrees with the pro dub sentiment. I just need a single one.

I live in Singapore. By pretty much any metric this is a "subbing" country. But the reality is that it isn't that simple. People like to understand stuff, while also enjoying a good quality experience. No one wants a bad dub, but a good dub is always welcome for purposes of understanding.

Let's take Hong Kong movies and serials for example. They are natively in Cantonese. I am Cantonese, I understand the dialect. So I prefer watching the original versions. My friends who do not, tend to prefer watching the Mandarin dubs which are the main distributed versions. It's not that they cannot read subtitles, but understanding the language spoken just makes it easier to watch if there is no quality loss.

I also know people who prefer Mandarin dubs of Korean dramas, but they are particular about the dub source. Taiwan dubbed versions are generally of a higher quality than the China dubs, which people do not like.

Your move.

Z..

What is this garbage. You're a mind-reader? You have such a high level of empathy you know what other people's experience of subs vs dubs is?

What is your agenda here? To harp on people who like dubs in general? To call English speakers entitled (as if these are the only dubs that are produced), specifically? To call US GAFers out on being monolingual?

Have you even played Blazblue?

I love that you think I have an agenda. Cute. If I did have one, it would be to make people accept the idea of dubs as DLC. A costly feature only some care about is being factored into the final price and release date of a product because.... seriously, tell me. Why does the preference of some dictate everyone else's experience?
Bring on the dubs, as many as you want. But make them optional.

Why would I even come to this thread if I hadn't played BB?

Z..

I live in Singapore. By pretty much any metric this is a "subbing" country. But the reality is that it isn't that simple. People like to understand stuff, while also enjoying a good quality experience. No one wants a bad dub, but a good dub is always welcome for purposes of understanding.

Let's take Hong Kong movies and serials for example. They are natively in Cantonese. I am Cantonese, I understand the dialect. So I prefer watching the original versions. My friends who do not, tend to prefer watching the Mandarin dubs which are the main distributed versions. It's not that they cannot read subtitles, but understanding the language spoken just makes it easier to watch if there is no quality loss.

I also know people who prefer Mandarin dubs of Korean dramas, but they are particular about the dub source. Taiwan dubbed versions are generally of a higher quality than the China dubs, which people do not like.

Your move.

Regarding the bolded - you completely lost me there. I disagree. It makes no difference whatsoever, at least to me.

Also, both the Cantonese (I love your language) and Mandarin dialects belong to areas where people mainly dub so the examples are moot.

s_mirage

Such a dumb argument...

Listen, I am not arguing against the inclusion of a dub. People like it, therefor I wish it was being provided. I am largely on your side here. Still, I am not going to sit back and let that silly comment stand.

Someone with no knowledge of a language cannot appreciate a voice acting performance in it in the same way as a native, and anyone claiming to be able to is lying. That's not a stupid argument, that's fact, and it's why I object to someone making a blanket statement that subs are always better when they are simply not qualified to judge that, and comprehension through subtitles alone nullifies a good part of what makes acting acting.

Live action, however, is a slightly different case as there's also physical acting involved, and dubs tend to be jarring there due to an obvious mismatch between voice and actor. Also, in live action it's possible to extract subtlety from the entire acting performance, body language, facial expression, etc. There are no such visual cues to help interpret voice acting.

Z..

Someone with no knowledge of a language cannot appreciate a voice acting performance in it in the same way as a native, and anyone claiming to be able to is lying. That's not a stupid argument, that's fact, and it's why I object to someone making a blanket statement that subs are always better when they are simply not qualified to judge that, and subtitles remove a good part of what makes acting acting.

You obviously can't appreciate the voice acting the same way a native speaker would (which I never said you could, but whatever serves your narrative, amirite?), but factors like cadence, inflection or tone can very much help in conveying emotion. You might not get as much out of it as someone who is fluent but the emotional charge of the message is usually pretty clear and easy to understand.

Since you like facts, here's a good one... Subs preserve the intended performances where as dubs are merely somebody else's interpretation. One is the real deal, the other is not.

Preference for subs in subbing countries involves just as much institutional bias as preference for dubs in dubbing countries. It isn't just "I tried both and preferred subs", it's "I tried both and then as I got older there stopped being an option for dubs and everyone around me accepted that so I did too". It's a socially conditioned opinion, just like everything else.

Also, while you can get some of the emotional intention of the voice acting when you watch something subbed (even if you don't speak the language), a good dub will convey all of the emotion the creators wanted you to get, even if the performance itself is different. Subs and dubs are a trade-off with many pluses and minuses. It isn't that a subbed version is "the original" and inherently better. It's a type of localisation where you lose things as well.

Banned
I haven't played BB before but I signed the petition. If they do end up dubbing I'll make sure I'll buy a copy.

Z..

I'd totally be okay with an english dub being DLC. If I had to pay for it, I'd also be fine with that.

If the base product had a reflective market cost adjustment, I believe everyone involved would be a lot happier.

Except the VA industry, that's for sure... =/

Top Bottom