• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aksys localising Tokyo Xanadu for Vita and PC in 2017

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Very disappointing if we had to wait this long for an English release and then it doesn't at least have the extra PS4 content on PC.

This is true, it's pretty concerning since they didn't announce the PS4 version today.

It wouldn't make sense to port the Vita version in the first place instead of the PS4 one.

Yet here we are

It really doesn't make any sense. They'll probably say something like "Oh, we'll release the PS4 version if this one sells well."

I understand the PC port, but releasing a physical copy of a Vita game in 2017? I commend them and I'm definitely buying it, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea financially.

It really doesn't make any sense. They'll probably say something like "Oh, we'll release the PS4 version if this one sells well."

I understand the PC port, but releasing a physical copy of a Vita game in 2017? I commend them and I'm definitely buying it, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea financially.

Releasing physical Vita games in 2017 is not as absurd as you think, they're by far not the only one doing that.

They should have just announced the PS4 localization as well to make everyone happy.

Eila

XSEED will be fine, they will most likely get Ys 8 and CS III. And I love the idea of a western PC port so I'm very much ok with this :3

Wonder if Aksys is gonna continue the trend of not dubbing for this.

Oh, that will be interesting. XSEED have been very open in that they haven't been able to get the japanese voice for their Falcom games due to licensing.

RE4

any chance for a physical european release? did aksys release anything physical here before?

For those unaware, this is what's known about the EX+ release

Full HD at 60 Frames Per Second

In addition to full high-definition graphics, the PlayStation 4 version of Tokyo Xanadu runs at 60 frames per second. The battles that unfold in the Other World dungeons are even smoother and more dynamic, and the grand event scenes depicted with Kou and company at its center are even more elaborate and vivid.

New Scenarios! Side Stories and After Story Added

With the exception of protagonist Kou, Side Stories from the point of view of the other “Qualified” high school students have been added. Enjoy the tales of the Qualified students that weren’t depicted in the main story as all new stories.

Additionally, a new, large-volume “After Story,” available after the main story is cleared, has also been added. It is set in October 2015, when Morimiya City is flourishing with Halloween-related events. But then a mysterious “Black Fox Mask Boy” appears before Kou and company…

New Playable Character: “White Shroud”

Play as White Shroud, a knight with an unidentified seal who belongs the “Holy Spirit Church,” a third power that has a different standpoint from the “Nemesis,” which Asuka belongs to, and “Zodiac,” which Mitsuki belongs to.

In addition to his heightened parameters, he triumphs in all skill types, including shooting, flight, and strength skills.

In the PS Vita version, the attack attributes of “Fire,” “Spirit,” “Wind,” “Steel,” and “Shadow” appeared. White Shroud belongs to his own exclusive attribute of “Light,” which is strong against every other attribute except Shadow.

New Modes: “Time Attack” and “Boss Rush”

In the new “Time Attack” mode, the goal is defeat the various bosses (Elder Greeds) that appear in the main story as quickly as possible. In the new “Boss Rush” mode, you can battle each boss one after the other.

Tons of New Greeds and Dungeons, New Difficulty Mode

Joining the new Side Stories and After Story are new dungeons in the Other World, and new types of Greeds (monsters) and Elder Greeds (large bosses) to battle.

With the addition of a new “Calamity” difficulty mode, there are also now a total of five difficulty modes available to players: “Beginner,” “Normal,” “Advanced,” “Elite,” and “Calamity.”

http://gematsu.com/2016/06/tokyo-xanadu-ex-first-details-screenshots

Nyoro SF

I'm a little sad over no EX+ contents making their way to PC. But it's great to see there's an avenue for Falcom games to come to PC again. I'll make the choice when the time comes.

EDIT: Especially if PS4 is 60fps and PC is not.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I guess no PS4 version/content because that one isn't out in Japan yet. Could still come later.

This. Everyone's jumping the gun WAY too fast. Have it the other way around with only getting the PS4 version, and Vita fans would complain that it was skipped.

Patience.

MQX

No Xseed and no PS4 version.

This so bizarre

And small chance or no physical release for EU. Other words: high chance it will be digital only for Europe :( (example: Zero Time Dilemma).

I hope Aksys(or maybe Xseed ;P) will grab and release eX+ in the future :p.

Wait, does this mean Falcom is making a PC version of a recent game?

Might be possible? All of the previous PC ports of Falcom games (Trails in the Sky, Ys, etc.) were based on already existing PC versions, updated with some of the HD assets from PS3 releases, etc., and new features added (high resolution support, etc.).

I think this is the first PC release in the west where a PC version didn't already exist in Japan? Could explain why Aksys is handling it, XSEED's said before that they don't have the ability to port titles to PC from scratch. Could be that Falcom is really starting to like Steam, and wanted a larger pub/dev to handle this title? Aksys's previous PC experience isn't exactly fantastic (Mind:Zero and Xblaze), maybe they're also working with Spike Chunsoft (Danganronpa and Zero Time Dilemma PC ports are pretty good).

Eusis

Could be Aksys hiring a third party to port it for them.
This could be what pushed it over to them versus XSEED. Which is kinda weird since you'd think via Marvelous XSEED could have someone port it but maybe this is kinda like SEGA and Atlus.

Falcom games came out in English before XSEED. I don't see the issue. I don't know why anyone would wish for XSEED to pick up yet another project at this point anyway. They're still working on stuff announced long ago.

Consistency really. TX is very much a Sen game in my mind. It's as closely related to the series as you can get without being an actual sequel.

Seemed like a no brainer next move for them after Sen II, with how efficient they've gotten at putting them out. Seemed like the natural gap filler for that pipeline between now and when Sen III presumably drops next year.

So yeah I'm a little disappointed to see Aksys working on this. Especially when it's the older version.

Nice. On other hand no EX version, I think.

and probably still Vita version's locked 30FPS

Consistency really. TX is very much a Sen game in my mind. It's as closely related to the series as you can get without being an actual sequel.
I heard it's another Nayuta no Kiseki, taking some aesthetic choices from recent Falcom games, and a well-known name, but otherwise being its own thing.

All I can think of as a connection is Towa, but she's becoming Falcom's next mascot, who knows if her being in a game means anything re: continuity. Seems to me Aksys won't have trouble localizing this since it's a new IP no matter where it came from.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I honestly thought with the announcement of the PS4 version, we were more likely to get a localization of that than the Vita version because it's been out for a while now with no announcement of a localization of the Vita.

I'll still take it at this point.

Well... this is a surprise. I guess XSeed is overloaded with stuff to localize.

I hope they get the same voice actor for Towa if they are doing a dub.

As much as I want to be excited for PC, Aksys's PC ports have been worse than Tecmo Koei's in my experience.

Fingers crossed it's Falcom doing it internally.

As for the surprise that it's not XSEED - They're doing Xanadu Next. Everyone expected that XSEED has a lock on handling Falcom localizations. I guess that wasn't true.

mejin

Wouldn' be wise to just bring PS4 version and a Steam port of it?

Aksys, what are your doing? :-(

They're probably trying the same strategy as in JP. Get people to buy the original and then double dip on the extended release later.

It just doesn't work as well and is kinda dumb when people already know the extended version exists.

t26

They're probably trying the same strategy as in JP. Get people to buy the original and then double dip on the extended release later.

It just doesn't work as well and is kinda dumb when people already know the extended version exists.

Not really as people don't know if extended version will get localized.

I heard it's another Nayuta no Kiseki, taking some aesthetic choices from recent Falcom games, and a well-known name, but otherwise being its own thing.

All I can think of as a connection is Towa, but she's becoming Falcom's next mascot, who knows if her being in a game means anything re: continuity.

It's way more related than Nayuta imo.

From the structure of the game, (shares Sen's bonding event system) to its minigames (which are also full of references/cameos from Sen)

To even the core gameplay. I beleive it runs on the same engine and for all intents and purposes, the combat of Tokyo Xanadu is more or less just an expanded version of Sen's field combat to initiate advantage.

and this is just from the perspective of someone who watched videos and can't understand japanese. I imagine there are probably even more references that could be lost due to inconsistent terminology between Xseed's Sen and Aksys's Tokyo Xanadu, or Aksys just lacking the context to preserve them having not worked on Sen.

Joqu

I've wanted this for a while now, but it's gotta be including the PS4 content on PC right? It'd be such a screw up if they didn't base that port on the PS4 version

edit: And yeah, I'm worried about XSEED not handling this too because of potential inconsistencies. I REALLY hope Aksys's making sure it all matches up with the XSEED stuff, I don't care if they're different companies

Tohsaka

They probably started localizing the game before the PS4 version was announced, and according to XSEED Falcom doesn't let publishers touch their games before they're out in Japan, so not much they can do.

Top Bottom