• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aksys localising Tokyo Xanadu for Vita and PC in 2017

Eusis

Not really as people don't know if extended version will get localized.
Nah, I'd say it's still an issue. We hold out hoping "just in case" and if we call their bluff we get the enhanced version later.

Of course, DLC and Steam can change the situation so it can be a calculated risk to jump in now then get the upgrade as DLC or at a discount.

and this is just from the perspective of someone who watched videos and can't understand japanese. I imagine there are probably even more references that could be lost due to inconsistent terminology between Xseed's Sen and Aksys's Tokyo Xanadu, or Aksys just lacking the context to preserve them having not worked on Sen.
Sure, it's built off Cold Steel, but the script, setting, world, &c. is nearly different. There likely won't be any trouble localizing it since there'll be no reason for Aksys to get the Trails series bible XSEED uses. At worst there's Rean/Alicia cameos.

mejin

They probably started localizing the game before the PS4 version was announced, and according to XSEED Falcom doesn't let publishers touch their games before they're out in Japan, so not much they can do.

Welp, didn't know about that. It's still a great surprise.

I wonder if YS 8 will be the same situation. Probably will.

I'll only buy it when I can get it used

Ow_the_edge.jpg

omgfloofy

Banned
My guess, regarding the PS4 release, is that when Aksys got the rights for it, Falcom didn't have it public or announced yet. And Falcom, as far as I know, doesn't like for companies to have access to games they've not released yet.

As such, Aksys is kind of in a corner on this one. Especially because eX+ has new story content that the previous didn't. As a result, Falcom's wanting to hold those cards close still.

Welp, didn't know about that. It's still a great surprise.

I wonder if YS 8 will be the same situation. Probably will.

Well Ys 8 is different from TX in that the ps4 and vita versions are supposed to be identical.

While TX and eX+ are two different games

So technically I could imagine someone working on Ys 8 Vita after in launches, and then being able to have Falcom easily implement that same work to the PS4 version whenever they put that out.

I don't imagine we'd see a split release for that game in the West though.

hmhm, this is weird. not sure what to do. physical vita is great, but i'd rather get a physical ps4 ex version :/

not happy with this situation. better wait and see.

SephLuis

My guess, regarding the PS4 release, is that when Aksys got the rights for it, Falcom didn't have it public or announced yet. And Falcom, as far as I know, doesn't like for companies to have access to games they've not released yet.

As such, Aksys is kind of in a corner on this one. Especially because eX+ has new story content that the previous didn't. As a result, Falcom's wanting to hold those cards close still.

It's an odd situation because it would probably be easier for them to port the PS4 version to PC instead of the Vita version.

I love that the Vita isn't being completely forgotten, but knowing that the ex+ has some considerable additions, makes me wonder how Aksys can handle this. Guess they figured that it's better to bring the vanilla version and see the opportunity for the PS4 version later.

Shizuka

Weird to see people not excited for games being localized. I'm excited, lemme be the only one in the room excited and thankful for this. Thank you, Aksys.

Yeah this is crazy lol

For a hot second, I was like "wait, XSEED dropped Xanadu Next?!?" and then I remembered the other Xanadu. :p

The RPSey switch out mechanic left me cold when I've encountered it before, but JDK GOODNESS!!!

Not sure how I feel about a Falcom game without XSEED.

It's on PC though so I will definitely get it.

AKSYS does work narratively on ZE. I have full faith in them.

I think it's extremely likely that we'll get ex+ for PS4 later, most of the localization is already done and it would just be leaving money on the table. There is no reason not to.

The mistake was anouncing a PC port right now. They should have done Vita first and then ex+ for PC/PS4 later. That would have been a better situation.

As it is right now the PC version is in a weird state, doesn't make all that much sense and its existence makes the release of ex+ a little less likely as a "HD" version already exists for those that want it.

Yess Aksys! I played the Ex VNs that they localized and the translations were great, so I got no worries about this.

Its also awesome that they're commited to releasing EVERYTHING physical.

salromano

Bittersweet. Why would I pick up this when I know the better PS4 version will come later on? I'm not the type of person who wants to play the same game twice, especially lengthy RPGs. I wish they'd tackle that version from the start.

If anything, I'll buy it to support them but wait for the PS4 version to play it.

Lain

BETRAYALTON!!

I'll get the PC port day 1, if it'll have the PS4 additions backported, otherwise I'll have to think about it.

Weird to see people not excited for games being localized. I'm excited, lemme be the only one in the room excited and thankful for this. Thank you, Aksys.

Yeah, quite surprising to see what was an incredible announcement (to me) go down like a lead balloon in here.

I can understand where people are coming from, but still!

Bittersweet. Why would I pick up this when I know the better PS4 version will come later on? I'm not the type of person who wants to play the same game twice, especially lengthy RPGs. I wish they'd tackle that version from the start.

If anything, I'll buy it to support them but wait for the PS4 version to play it.

Aksys probably didn't know. Falcom doesn't discuss internal plans with licensees.

and perhaps Falcom didn't see it as an issue. After all they released two versions in Japan.

Yeah, quite surprising to see what was an incredible announcement (to me) go down like a lead balloon in here.

I can understand where people are coming from, but still!

I believe it's because people expected the PS4 version to be localized. When it was announced, there was a lot of hype for the game + the extra content.

The disappointment generally comes from how we've gotten so many Falcom games in English in the last 10 years from Mastiff and XSEED, making Toxanadu an expected announcement, one that ought to impress more than it has now that eX+'s been announced ahead of Aksys's reveal.

I'd rather play this on Vita than console or PC, so I'm happy that it's coming over. In regards to the PS4 version, I'm surprised. Surely it'd just make sense for them to bring eX+ over.

StereoVsn

Hmm... I kind of want the PS4 version or the port of that for PC. At this point the Acura version is outdated. I will wait an see what's going on with the enhanced PS4 release. Probably not going to buy the vanilla version.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
OH MY FUCKING GOD.

PC as well is a nice bonus (hopefully it still comes to GOG, despite the different publisher.)

Weird to not have xseed doing it. Maybe they're just too busy.

Edit: wait, is this the vanilla version? Can't say I'm particularly interested in buying the old version knowing the new thing exists. I mean, I'll probably support it anyway cuz it's Falcom, but yeah...

Going by Aksys's history, they release vanilla and then sneakily do the other version of a game with far more content much later (like a year or two after the fact). So I'd be waiting on that ex+ version if I were you guys.

Aselith

Has Aksys done PC ports before? Did they do Akiba?

Edit: Oh nope that was Xseed

I'll tell you one thing I would sure as fuck buy Gladiator Begins for PC. I love that game!

Shizuka

Going by Aksys's history, they release vanilla and then sneakily do the other version of a game with far more content much later (like a year or two after the fact). So I'd be waiting on that ex+ version if I were you guys.

Unless you're a Vita owner.

mejin

Well Ys 8 is different from TX in that the ps4 and vita versions are supposed to be identical.

While TX and eX+ are two different games

So technically I could imagine someone working on Ys 8 Vita after in launches, and then being able to have Falcom easily implement that same work to the PS4 version whenever they put that out.

I don't imagine we'd see a split release for that game in the West though.

Ah, that's true. You're right.

But I wouldn't mind if they release Vita version first.

RK128

I'm happy about this too, as I enjoyed Falcom's past work and its nice seeing more games from them come over.

I have a feeling the Vita version will be getting the Ex versions content when it comes out, as we didn't get a release date for the localized version; just 2017.

I think we are in for a Grand Kingdom situation, all post-release/DLC game content is going to be bundled with the localized version on PC/Vita. Or, Vita/PC comes first and late 2017 PS4 version releases.

Doesn't mater honestly, as its great we are finally playing the game and Aksys isn't ignoring Vita owners in favor for the PS4 version.

I don't think they did. Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd. is listed as developer on Steam, as well as publisher. Had Aksys done it, they would be credited I believe.

Yep. Spike Chunsoft is self-publishing all of their titles on Steam. Xblaze and Mind Zero are Aksys's only PC titles. Mind Zero had a bad port and Xblaze's was a serviceable one for a 2D visual novel.

Top Bottom