• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aksys picks up Norn9: Var Commons

Estellise

Hahaha the hilarious gifs are one of the only good things to come out of that shit anime adaption. xD I wish that pool scene was actually in the game though

tumblr_mtly22j30d1qckkfko1_500.gif

Anime was shit yet they're still getting a second season w/ More Blood. Amazing.

jzbluz

I've heard the story is a bit of a mess, but the characters are pretty good for the most part. I would have left this title to IFI, but it's supposedly getting an anime so hopefully it works out for Aksys.

Has Broccoli actually released anything on the Vita yet?

Maybe that's why we haven't heard any otome localizations from them.

Unless it's a big mess to try and license the UtaPri games due to all the music

There's Music 3 for the vita, but I don't see us getting any of the UtaPri games. The licensing is probably too expensive, and Broccoli is probably happy enough with the sales in Japan. It's ridiculous how much UtaPri sells.

The other high-profile otome games are from Broccoli and Koei Tecmo, I guess they're not interested in licensing their games for western companies.

There's also QuinRose, whom have been porting a bunch of their games to vita. They've released one their most popular game for mobile in English so they must be interested in expanding their market. Unfortunately, their English translation was terrible.

Now let's go pester KT so they can localize Harukanaru 6 and Angelique Retour!

Jazz573

New XBlaze and Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters (which is more like a hybrid).

Odd, neither English release is on vndb. I know Code: Realize and Norn9 are there, because I'm the one who added them. Guess I should go fix that.

Edit: What's the Japanese name for Tokyo Twilight? I'm trying to find it on vndb, but nothing's turned up.

Also, I asked it earlier, but why are Code: Realize and Norn9 being published by Aksys, but Amnesia is being published by Idea Factory?

Edit: What's the Japanese name for Tokyo Twilight? I'm trying to find it on vndb, but nothing's turned up.

魔都紅色幽撃隊
Tokyo Twilight Ghosthunters
Mato Kurenai Yūgekitai: Tokyo Twilight Ghosthunters

More VNs are always a good thing, and with the ever increasing possibility of Zero Escape Vol. 3 being announced soon, Aksys is going all out. :)

As for this game in particular, the three heroines and the prologue as a guy is a pretty interesting take on the genre.

Also, I asked it earlier, but why are Code: Realize and Norn9 being published by Aksys, but Amnesia is being published by Idea Factory?

I doubt Idea Factory International would have the manpower to publish every single Otomate VN that gets made for the Japanese market.

Most of their time seems to be going on localizing the JRPG's from Compile Heart, presumably due to higher sales potential.

So if someone like Aksys comes along who clearly have a big interest in picking up otome games, that wouldn't otherwise get picked up for localization, might as well sell them the rights for a small fee.

Jazz573

I doubt Idea Factory International would have the manpower to publish every single Otomate VN that gets made for the Japanese market.

Most of their time seems to be going on localizing the JRPG's from Compile Heart, presumably due to higher sales potential.

So if someone like Aksys comes along who clearly have a big interest in picking up otome games, that wouldn't otherwise get picked up for localization, might as well sell them the rights for a small fee.

Makes sense. Thanks.

魔都紅色幽撃隊
Tokyo Twilight Ghosthunters
Mato Kurenai Yūgekitai: Tokyo Twilight Ghosthunters

Thanks. I checked and there is no vndb entry even for the Japanese version. At least with XBlaze it's there. Guess I'll have to add it.

Kirie

tumblr_mtly22j30d1qckkfko1_500.gif

Anime was shit yet they're still getting a second season w/ More Blood. Amazing.

Really? Damn. Well, guess I'll be watching it for the trainwreck of it all. At least I was about to get through it because it was short.. unlike KamiAso's anime adaptation. Still need to finish MB, so I should probably do that first before watching that shit D:

~~

Yeah, the story of Norn9 is kind of all over the place at times, and some routes feel a LOT more plot relevant than others, but at least the majority of the characters are good. Lots of heartache in there as well on some of the bad endings.

Estellise

Okay Aksys, now localize this game you won't regret it. It's about hot moe Ninjas and the Vita port comes out this June.

CEylJCMVIAAEseY.jpg

Yeah, the story of Norn9 is kind of all over the place at times, and some routes feel a LOT more plot relevant than others, but at least the majority of the characters are good. Lots of heartache in there as well on some of the bad endings.

Yeah, I haven't finished the entire game yet but I noticed the plot is a bit confusing at times. And felt like it needed more. Apparently the FD provided a bigger addition to the plot though so I think it'd be a great idea if they localized the FD after.

Code:Realize & Norn9 were fairly popular in JP so it seems like they're localizing the more popular titles. I'm glad they finally realized they should try something other than Hakuouki. I'm hoping maybe if this isn't too much on Aksys's plate they'll announce at least one more otome game this year. And if not, maybe Idea Factory since they only have Amnesia on their line-up. But I want a physical release the next time they do.

Jazz573

Ok, like seriously, this is great and all but... can we get some VNs that AREN'T Otome games? What is going on?

What's wrong with Otome? Also, we are getting a few non-Otome VNs on Vita. Steins;Gate is coming soon, XBlaze is too. Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters released recently. Fault Milestone is also coming. I've probably missed a few, but even that is a lot already.

Clannad... 3 parts of Grisaia... etc...

Suddenly a couple otomes come out, and there is no "regular" VNs.

I'm pretty sure nothing has been said about Grisaia coming to Vita. Many people only backed the kickstarter for $1 because there was no Vita news. Last I checked sekaiproject still hadn't gotten appproval from Sony yet.

Ok, like seriously, this is great and all but... can we get some VNs that AREN'T Otome games? What is going on?

I dunno, we seem to be getting more than enough non-otome VNs, so long as you don't ignore Steam and Sekai Project. (or all of the sorta-VNs already released on the Vita. And Steins;Gate)

Saphirax

Why? Not sure about Norn9, but the other two otome games that are coming out have a stronger focus on the story, the romance being secondary. Moreover, you have Steins;Gate, XBlaze and its sequel, Danganronpa 1 & 2 and Virtue's last reward. Not to mention there's Grisaia and that World End Economica that are going to come out if they ever get past Sony.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure nothing has been said about Grisaia coming to Vita. Many people only backed the kickstarter for $1 because there was no Vita news. Last I checked sekaiproject still hadn't gotten appproval from Sony yet.

I mean, it's still coming out on Steam as a option for the VN.

Jazz573

I mean, it's still coming out on Steam as a option for the VN.

I assumed he was talking about the Vita.

It's good it's coming to Steam though. Not that it matters to me because I backed for the All-Ages Physical and 18+ digital, so I won't be getting the Steam version.

grim-tales

Steins;Gate, Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters, Xblaze 2 and probably Corpse Party: Blood Drive are all out or will be out before the end of the year.

I've never played Corpse Party but it sounds interesting, is it like 999 in terms of story?
In the Japanese version there were going to be extra chapters written by the original writers (something like that?)

Estellise

Why should it matter? There are otome games w/ great plots believe it or not. Just because the main character is female & males are the love interests doesn't mean it can't be a good game. I'm a complete otome fanatic but I love VNs like Steins;Gate & such. And all sorts of VN exist that aren't otome specific.

I'm interested.

It's called Shinobi Koi Utsutsu & the MC has a jutsu that charms the guys & they go gaga over her. It's pretty hilarious.

Kirie

Okay Aksys, now localize this game you won't regret it. It's about hot moe Ninjas and the Vita port comes out this June.

Yeah, I haven't finished the entire game yet but I noticed the plot is a bit confusing at times. And felt like it needed more. Apparently the FD provided a bigger addition to the plot though so I think it'd be a great idea if they localized the FD after.

Code:Realize & Norn9 were fairly popular in JP so it seems like they're localizing the more popular titles. I'm glad they finally realized they should try something other than Hakuouki. I'm hoping maybe if this isn't too much on Aksys's plate they'll announce at least one more otome game this year. And if not, maybe Idea Factory since they only have Amnesia on their line-up. But I want a physical release the next time they do.
I'd totally be down for some moe ninjas! :eek: Great character designs.

Yeah I'm so thankful they are branching out to some non-Hakuouki games. I don't mind Hakuouki, but there's so many great otomes out there that are just screaming to be localized. They picked great with Norn9 and Code:Realize imo. Will be picking up everything to support the otome market here and hoping it continues to grow..but geez I feel so spoiled this year with so many great ones coming out in English. So happy ;_;

The game I'm looking forward to the most this year for Japanese releases (besides the Angelique remake) is Reine des Fleurs not only because the story sounds awesome, but the art. The art, my god.

Tohsaka

I've never played Corpse Party but it sounds interesting, is it like 999 in terms of story?
In the Japanese version there were going to be extra chapters written by the original writers (something like that?)

It's kind of similar in that you're trapped somewhere, but it's more focused on horror.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

CP 1 and Book of Shadows are very different. In the first, you actively walk around the map, whereas BoS is more a point-and-click, and has more VN elements than gameplay like the first. BoS would be more similar to 999.

I recommend it if you are wanting a horror story, with the best use of binaural sound ever in a game that makes for a creepy atmosphere.

Saphirax

Yeah I'm so thankful they are branching out to some non-Hakuouki games. I don't mind Hakuouki, but there's so many great otomes out there that are just screaming to be localized. They picked great with Norn9 and Code:Realize imo. Will be picking up everything to support the otome market here and hoping it continues to grow..but geez I feel so spoiled this year with so many great ones coming out in English. So happy ;_;

The game I'm looking forward to the most this year for Japanese releases (besides the Angelique remake) is Reine des Fleurs not only because the story sounds awesome, but the art. The art, my god.

It'd be amazing if the game got localised. It looks absolutely lovely; although I was under the impression that it was already out.

Looks amazing.

Please get on this next Aksys. Localize all the otome games!
Maybe Aksys will try their hands at some BL/bara in the future too.

There's a certain Indiegogo project going on right now that maybe they could team up with developers and work on some ports. That would be amazing...

And you know, the inevitable Zero Escape Vol. 3!

Estellise

Yeah, it's such a fun game, I love it! The Vita port actually has more guys added to it which is pretty awesome. I'm currently playing the PSP one now and I'm loving it.

It's amazing how years ago I wouldn't have expected for us to get any of these games. And now we've got 3 otomate games that have been localized already. It's pretty awesome! I hope we get Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly too.

Oh, gosh yessss. That game has the most beautiful art! I'm totally interested in it~ I'm looking forward to some of the new titles they announced like Bad Apple Wars & Yunohana SpRING!

jzbluz

CEylJCMVIAAEseY.jpg

I've heard the vita port adds a harem ending so yes!

Otomate has a lot of good otome games, but I hope we also get games from other companies.

Kirie

It'd be amazing if the game got localised. It looks absolutely lovely; although I was under the impression that it was already out.

August 20th! :D Very happy it's coming out in summer before the onslaught of games in the fall haha. I would love for it to be translated, not only because my Japanese isn't the best at all (still learning!) but I have a ton of friends interested in it. I think the art style would sell the game really well since it's so beautiful.

Maybe Aksys will try their hands at some BL/bara in the future too.
I'd be very happy to see this as I have some gay friends who would love more good quality BL games over here. Having them brought over and localized by some well-known companies would be great too! More romance games for everyone! \o/

Yeah, it's such a fun game, I love it! The Vita port actually has more guys added to it which is pretty awesome. I'm currently playing the PSP one now and I'm loving it.

It's amazing how years ago I wouldn't have expected for us to get any of these games. And now we've got 3 otomate games that have been localized already. It's pretty awesome! I hope we get Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly too.

Oh, gosh yessss. That game has the most beautiful art! I'm totally interested in it~ I'm looking forward to some of the new titles they announced like Bad Apple Wars & Yunohana SpRING!
That's good to know! I'll take a look into it when I have the time/money :eek: Thanks for all of the recs! I'll have to look into Yunohana SpRING as well because that art is really doing it for me.

Right?? It's pretty incredible! I hope though that people that have been complaining about the lack of otomes over here actually support these titles, because if they don't do so hot, then... well.. :/

Sorry for turning this into a general otome topic lol. Hopefully everyone buys Norn9 so we can get some of these other quality games too! <3

Nice! Guess I should hold off on importing anymore otome games I can barely read. Got Ken ga Kimi in the mail. Here's hoping Norn9's fandisc gets localized as well.

Otomate has a lot of good otome games, but I hope we also get games from other companies.

Harem end?! Well, I guess I could squeeze one last import into my budget...

Estellise

Woah a harem end? I didn't hear about that! Does that mean all the guys are forever under her jutsu or something? HAHA.

tumblr_inline_n0e6vmCMSu1qh31oq.png

That's good to know! I'll take a look into it when I have the time/money :eek: Thanks for all of the recs! I'll have to look into Yunohana SpRING as well because that art is really doing it for me.

Right?? It's pretty incredible! I hope though that people that have been complaining about the lack of otomes over here actually support these titles, because if they don't do so hot, then... well.. :/

Sorry for turning this into a general otome topic lol. Hopefully everyone buys Norn9 so we can get some of these other quality games too! <3

No problem!~ Just spreading the otome love ;w; (KENN voices in that too which is another + for me)

I plan to buy every single otome localized so far. I'm definitely going to support these titles in the west!

Why should it matter? There are otome games w/ great plots believe it or not. Just because the main character is female & males are the love interests doesn't mean it can't be a good game. I'm a complete otome fanatic but I love VNs like Steins;Gate & such. And all sorts of VN exist that aren't otome specific.

How much of a focus does something like this have on the non-romantic plot?

jzbluz

How much of a focus does something like this have on the non-romantic plot?

Code:Realize is supposed to focus on plot more than romance so that might be a good VN for someone who's not interested in the guys. Norn9 is supposedly plot heavy as well, but the story apparently has issues that are only fixed in the FD.

I'm happy enough with Norn9 because I value characters over story, but I worry a bit that Aksys might have picked the wrong title.

Shizuka

Honestly, all Aksys otome games don't really have a focus on romance. Hakuoki has a focus on history, Sweet Fuse has a focus on the crazy setting.

Westraid

Website is up here and the press release by Aksys is here.

Norn9: Var Commons Features:
Experience the voyage! – Go on a journey in a mysterious aircraft with the surrounding beautiful environments. Enhanced animated expressions bring the characters to life! Communicate with the characters as a part of their world and see how they react to specific situations.
Diverging Storyline – Players decide the fate of the characters. Complete all routes to reveal the truth!
Bonus Features – Re-live your favorite moments with gallery mode! Challenge the mini game, “Norn9 Quest,” and collect points to unlock bonus illustrations and other special features.

Same here. Pre-ordered that game the moment it was available. Really can't wait for it!

Archetype

Neo Member
Woah a harem end? I didn't hear about that! Does that mean all the guys are forever under her jutsu or something? HAHA.

tumblr_inline_n0e6vmCMSu1qh31oq.png

I'm so excited for all the otome titles coming out in English now!

Shinobi, Koi Utsutsu looks so interesting. I would think that its colorful character designs would appeal to fans in the West. The iOS publisher Otomate World was recently asking about titles people wanted from Idea Factory's catalog and Shinobi was definitely top of my list. https://twitter.com/Otomate_world/status/598467733399969792

I also wonder/hope that whatever tech Idea Factory International is using to port Amensia from Vita to PC for its Steam release is good and could possibly be shared with Aksys Games. Utilizing the localizations on more platforms would be helpful for accessibility! Though myself I will prefer to play on my Vita.

Top Bottom