• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alabama employee gets new car from boss after 20-mile walk :-)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44854370
BBC said:
A US company owner gave an employee a new car after he went the extra mile - 20 miles (32km) in fact, walking all night to make his first day at work.
After his own car broke down, Walter Carr made the long commute by foot through the suburbs of Birmingham, Alabama, to his new job in removals.
A police officer spoke to Mr Carr en route and, impressed by his grit, took him to get some breakfast.
Praise for Mr Carr has flooded social media since his story was shared.
I hadn't seen this posted and given the torrent of "What's wrong with humanity?" stories that seem to be everywhere I felt this was a worth sharing.
Reading the full article is well worth it - it seems that all participants in the story are just straightforward decent people.

Have a nice day!

Maedre

Banned
Nice story. But why did the officer talked to him?

I was never stopped by police when I took a long walk.

Atrus

Gold Member

More than likely the officer thought he was experiencing or experienced some sort of distress, like his car broke down etc.

At 30+ km you’d be talking about walking beside some highways with no clear sidewalk rather than a suburb. Few people walk those out of choice and if you’re not dressed like a runner, you probably stick out.

LOLCats

Banned
it was a 2014 Ford Escape. Heard this guy on the radio. Not many 20 year olds would walk even 1 mile to work.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, nice

I walked 2 miles to and from my job when I was 19, around 1999. A Ford dealership.
After about a year they sold me a 91 Barreta GT for $500 I could pay $25 a week out of my paycheck.
Not the same but was a sweet hookup.

I ended up taking a school teacher too and from work who had her car in for service (she was a regular) I was the first Lot Boy/Detailer to get employee of the month because of it. This led to a sales lady getting me a job with her husband at an engineering firm...and that was my start at where I am now.
Everything snowballed...work hard, bootstrap, walk in rain and snow..down the highway...sleep/rest when your dead and doors will open.

way more

Sigh, this just highlights how awful American public transformation is and how helpless we are to solve it. This does nothing to solve the issues many african-americans face.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Considering that he left that night to make it in the morning, it is more than likely the officer stopped and asked if he needed assistance due to the nature of the time.

After all, he did bring him to get breakfast.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
Considering that he left that night to make it in the morning, it is more than likely the officer stopped and asked if he needed assistance due to the nature of the time.

After all, he did bring him to get breakfast.

He profiled him so hard he ate breakfast with him. What an asshole.

Last edited:

Maedre

Banned
I'm white and it's happened to me twice before. Don't spin a positive into a negative.
I don’t want to spin a positive into a negative. Even at night I never was stopped by the police only because I walked at night... I like this story but I’m just curious.

Arkage

Banned
This reminds me of a gym teacher I worked with. He got into a car accident and it was in the shop or something, so he decided to walk to school, 2 hours one way. Did it for a month or two. He was kind of a weird dude though.

Top Bottom