• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alamo Drafthouse hosting women-only Wonder Woman screenings June 6th

blackflag

DA2MoNQWAAEaO9l.jpg

Male fragility in action. Can't let women just enjoy watching a movie with other women without wanting to butt in.

lol it's even more funny when you think about the fact that in a normal situation he would never watch this because of what Wonder Woman represents but now he's bought a ticket and donated money to planned parenthood.

Nepenthe

Yes, I do agree with that. But as a business, you try not to make decisions that could potentially offend a large percentage of your audience. This doesn't offend me in the least, but clearly it has other people.

Their audience is progressives. They literally don't want people offended by this attending their theaters in any capacity.

GetLucky

When I heard about the event, I thought "oh that seems fun and clever." Then I heard about the backlash and couldn't believe it. What a bunch of pathetic babies. Just makes women want to be around men even less. These idiots.

Haha same. I read the thread title and thought 'neat'. Then I saw the amount of replies and wew lad.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I cannot believe so much controversy seems to have sprung forth over this.

A group of women want to get together and celebrate a female icon finally getting her due on screen. What do some dudes find that so intimidating?

Yes, I do agree with that. But as a business, you try not to make decisions that could potentially offend a large percentage of your audience. This doesn't offend me in the least, but clearly it has other people.

The have gender-neutral restrooms at some locations.

They have a karaoke room designed to look like a Satanic temple at one location.

They've been in business for 20 years.

ReiGun

Should have had women free screening, but blocking men is just counterproductive. Stupid move all around

They aren't being blocked though. The theater has other screenings happening at or around the same time that men can go to.

Dudes aren't mad they can't see Wonder Woman. They're mad they didn't get invited to a party.

Charamiwa

Banned
At first I thought it was weird and a bit on the nose, but seeing some guys losing their shit and being trolled hard tells me this is a good thing. The reactions are absolutely insane.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
DA2MoNQWAAEaO9l.jpg

Male fragility in action. Can't let women just enjoy watching a movie with other women without wanting to butt in.

Feel bad for the people working at the theater. What are they going to do if he shows up? Let him in? Deny him entry? Can they legally deny him entry?

Nepenthe

They aren't being blocked though. The theater has other screenings happening at or around the same time that men can go to.

Dudes aren't mad they couldn't see Wonder Woman. They're mad they didn't get invited to a party.

It's literally like dealing with children.

"No, I want to go to THAT one!"

"You can still see the movie over there, sweetie."

"NO!!!!"

Feel bad for the people working at the theater. What are they going to do if he shows up? Let him in? Deny him entry? Can they legally deny him entry?

Yes, they can, because the women's exclusive screening is legal due to the existence of other simultaneous showings. All they have to do is exchange his ticket for another showing and the problem is solved.

Dudes aren't mad they can't see Wonder Woman. They're mad they didn't get invited to a party.

Basically, when they first introduced it they had 4 rooms showing WW at the same time, one of them was for women only.

Men aren't being denied anything at all.

Elchele

kind of sounds like having a white only screening, but you can still go to other screenings if you aren't.

Sorry, but this is plain bad. You don't make a stance on feminism by excluding other people.

I've been to feminist manifestations, and men are always welcomed. Because the point isn't female vs men

Nepenthe

kind of sounds like having a white only screening, but you can still go to other screenings if you aren't.

I as a black person would welcome a white's only showing of the original Birth of a Nation.

Sorry, but this is plain bad. You don't make a stance on feminism by excluding other people.

Men aren't excluded.

I've been to feminist manifestations, and men are always welcomed. Because the point isn't female vs men

That's not the point of this either, but good on you for inserting your precious feelings front and center.

ReiGun

200.gif

Kaako

Felium Defensor
+1 for event security.
These crying manbabies should not be trusted.

Edit: Or be given the benefit of doubt. Because if you cry over some shit like this, you've clearly lost that benefit.

The complete lack of awareness from these pathetic guys is pretty astonishing. When they're basically saying:

"Why do they get their own event? Fuck them, I'm showing up to intimidate them and ruin their experience because they didn't invite me"

Motherfucker, you're a bunch of manbaby, toxic pieces of shit. You're the reason this need to exist. Selfish, entitled psychotic human garbage. No other gender or race is allowed to have anything without coddling your fragility first.

You seem to be arguing that women aren't allowed to go out and have a good time on a Tuesday night unless accompanied by men.

I need you to read Lindsay's tweets cuz she explains it perfectly:
Lindsay Ellis nailing it as always.

lindsay_ellis_wonder_woman_women_only_screening_2_by_digi_matrix-dbam54o.png

lindsay_ellis_wonder_woman_women_only_screening_by_digi_matrix-dbam54k.png

gamz

Feel sorry for your current and\or future SO.

Seriously, don't be a piece of shit.

Pluto

Some people are still bitching about this? Why is this a big deal, why do they act like they are discriminated against? This is not a "only showing of Wonder Woman ever and when it's over all copies will be burned" once in a lifetime event.
Just go see the movie on another night or attend another showing in the same night, good riddance.

Like I said before, theatres here have been doing these kind of events for years, they're doing ladies nights and men's nights all the time and nobody makes a big stink, it's just something that happens.

Nepenthe

Some people are still bitching about this? Why is this a big deal, why do they act like they are discriminated against?

We live in an era now where many men have seriously deluded themselves into thinking that they are the real oppressed group in the west because the effects of globalization have ultimately unmasked their mediocrity.

gamz

Some people are still bitching about this? Why is this a big deal, why do they act like they are discriminated against? This is not a "only showing of Wonder Woman ever and when it's over all copies will be burned" once in a lifetime event.
Just go see the movie on another night or attend another showing in the same night, good riddance.

Like I said before, theatres here have been doing these kind of events for years, they're doing ladies nights and men's nights all the time and nobody makes a big stink, it's just something that happens.

Because they are selfish pricks. "What about me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I bet half of them aren't even planning on seeing WW.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Yeah I was wondering: are ladies nights uncommon in US theatres? The biggest theatre chain over here has them all the time. And if any movie deserves women only screenings, it's this one. I hope they add some more.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I thought everyone at Gaf lived in post gender world? How can you keep the men out when here is no way to identify gender? Is it their clothes? Is it the presence of a penis? This theatre should be getting attacked, it's like one giant bathroom trying to dictate who and who isn't a woman.

Anung

Un Rama
Yeah I was wondering: are ladies nights uncommon in US theatres? The biggest theatre chain over here has them all the time. And if any movie deserves women only screenings, it's this one. I hope they add some more.

I remember ladies nights being all the rage when Momma Mia came out. Same with Magic Mike actually.

Nepenthe

I don't think they're super common at the big chains like Regal and AMC, but we have Ladies Nights at clubs, restaurants, and other establishments to the point that it's not that novel of a concept to apply to a situation like this.

I thought everyone at Gaf lived in post gender world?

You can troll harder than this. I believe in you.

Elchele

You seem to be arguing that women aren't allowed to go out and have a good time on a Tuesday night unless accompanied by men.

I'm saying men shouldn't be blocked from entering the same establishment.
If they wanted to give something to women, they should have had a day of screenings of WW for free for women, without blocking men from buying tickets.

I thought everyone at Gaf lived in post gender world? How can you keep the men out when here is no way to identify gender? Is it their clothes? Is it the presence of a penis? This theatre should be getting attacked, it's like one giant bathroom trying to dictate who and who isn't a woman.
You're joking, surely.

Top Bottom