• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alamo Drafthouse hosting women-only Wonder Woman screenings June 6th

Anung

Un Rama
Yeah I was wondering: are ladies nights uncommon in US theatres? The biggest theatre chain over here has them all the time. And if any movie deserves women only screenings, it's this one. I hope they add some more.

Not to be confused with Laddies Night where us scots get together and watch Braveheart

I'm saying men shouldn't be blocked from entering the same establishment.
If they wanted to give something to women, they should have had a day of screenings of WW for free for women, without blocking men from buying tickets.

Men aren't being blocked from entering the Drafthouse. They're only being blocked from going to this specific showtime. If they want to see Wonder Woman they could pick another showtime. That's it. No harm, no foul.

gamz

If they wanted to give something to women, they should have had a day of screenings of WW for free for women, without blocking men from buying tickets.

Because guys are dicks and would buy the tickets. It's a place of business and god forbid they do something nice for the ladies. I mean how the fuck where you raised?

It's one fucking screening for god sakes. Jesus!

Nepenthe

that's not what the announcement in the OP says

I guess this is that rare case of a Gaffer reading only the OP and literally nothing else in a thread because it's been clarified that even the most precious of men will be allowed on the premises to see the film on the same day. They just won't be allowed into one or two screening rooms at a certain time to do so.

ReiGun

It's amazing that some guys can't grasp that women (and companies that wish to cater to them) don't have to consider their feelings in everything they do. You can make all the verbose proclamations about equality and "real feminism" you want; this is ultimately about men and their hurt feelings over nothing.

That's not what's happening, so what the fuck are you complaining about?

They literally have other screenings on the same day that aren't women-only!

Slayven

Men aren't being blocked from entering the Drafthouse. They're only being blocked from going to this specific showtime. If they want to see Wonder Woman they could pick another showtime. That's it. No harm, no foul.

Isn't there another showing at the exact same time?

Elchele

That's not what's happening, so what the fuck are you complaining about?

They literally have other screenings on the same day that aren't for women-only!

the problem is having a women-only one. That's not a way to make gender statement. It's exactly the opposite of a good thing.

It's fighting exclusion with more exclusion. But have it as you want.

Imagine if there was a men-only screening in the same scenario. The world would be teared apart.

gamz

the problem is having a women-only one. That's not a way to make gender statement. It's exactly the opposite of a good thing.

Imagine if there was a men-only screening in the same scenario. The world would be teared apart.

You really think it's the same scenario? I mean really?!?!

I saw this tread this morning, read the OP and thought "Oh, that's neat."
Just logged in again and was wondering why the thread was now 10 pages long and... Oh boy.

I was happy to see that so far WW had avoided most of the Ghostbusters bullshit (to my knowledge at least) but I guess some men are just too insecure.

Nepenthe

the problem is having a women-only one. That's not a way to make gender statement.

It is making a statement that women deserve to celebrate themselves, with themselves, in the ways they so choose every once in awhile. Why men like you have a problem with that, who knows?

I bet you get flustered over Black History Month. How dare those blacks take a whole MONTH?

Dude. Just freaking stop man. As if men haven't had enough for a very, very long time. It's not the same situation at all.

Elchele

You really think it's the same scenario? I mean really?!?!

In terms of gender equality, yes. You really don't the irony in this shit?
It's like having an only-white screening. Sorry but if you are fighting for integration, equality, then this is the exact opposite of what you should be doing.

It is making a statement that women deserve to celebrate themselves, with themselves, in the ways they so choose every once in awhile. Why men like you have a problem with that, who knows?

I bet you get flustered over Black History Month. How dare those blacks take a whole MONTH?

I'm not from USA, thankfully. Gender equality is thousands of years ahead here.

Oh lord. First and last time I go into a non-gaming thread on GAF.

EmiPrime

Lord give me strength. Enough with the false equivalences.

Nepenthe

It's only ironic in a world where you think equality has been achieved and women aren't made to routinely feel like shit for thinking anything of themselves, kinda like what you're doing right now. Now that's irony.

It's like having an only-white screening.

Please explain how. I want to understand your grasp of history and the socioeconomic reality of whiteness in America. I'm dying to know.

Sorry but if you are fighting for integration, equality, then this is the exact opposite of what you should be doing.

Oh look. Another man who thinks this was made for the express purpose of fighting for gender equality, because it's unfathomable to him that women would want to do something without him just for the hell of it.

Shaanyboi

Banned

A men-only screening of Wonder Woman as a celebration of femininity, and championing female creators?

You're right, that does sound pretty tone deaf...

Opto

Banned

I'm going to assume you are not a woman, and that despite you flaunting feminist credentials, you have ignored every single explanation coming from smart girls on why this isn't a bad thing.

You know why there's a women only screening? Because maybe they want to enjoy the film about the most iconic female superhero in the world with other people that have been waiting forever to see them got a shot. And to not have you pipe up during the show when Wonder Woman kicks a dude in the nuts or something.

Elchele

It's only ironic in a world where you think equality has been achieved and women aren't made to routinely feel like shit for thinking anything of themselves, kinda like what you're doing right now. Now that's irony.

Please explain how. I want to understand your grasp of history and the socioeconomic reality of whiteness in America. I'm dying to know.

Oh look. Another man who thinks this was made for the express purpose of fighting for gender equality, because it's unfathomable to him than women want to do something without him just for the hell of it.

how old are you? 16?
Honestly.

It's like having an only-white screening. Sorry but if you are fighting for integration, equality, then this is the exact opposite of what you should be doing.

I'm not from USA, thankfully. Gender equality is thousands of years ahead here.

Would you be okay with everyone thinking you're a moron?

ReiGun

Maybe the Alamo isn't fighting for those things. Maybe they just thought it would be cool to let women have a party where they can enjoy a movie in the company of other women.

Maybe, just maybe, not everything is about men.

And no. This isn't like a white-only screening because that would call forth allusions to the painful history of Jim Crow segregation that separated white people from people of color. As a Black-American, I'm going to have to ask that you please stop making that comparison. It's incredibly disrespectful.

Koyuga

lmao, those replies are perfect.

Too bad we don't have Alamo Drafthouse here in Oregon, would love to go to one of these screenings!

Elchele

I'm going to assume you are not a woman, and that despite you flaunting feminist credentials, you have ignored every single explanation coming from smart girls on why this isn't a bad thing.

You know why there's a women only screening? Because maybe they want to enjoy the film about the most iconic female superhero in the world with other people that have been waiting forever to see them got a shot. And to not have you pipe up during the show when Wonder Woman kicks a dude in the nuts or something.

and man can't be part of that? You assume men are unable to enjoy the film and being around women? Sorry but there's no way to pretend this is the right path to follow at all.

When straight white men regularly face injustices and unfair treatment based on the color of their skin or gender, I'll let them have their white/male only screenings.

Elchele

Weird how you can't respond with anything other than this, which raises the question of how old you are. Anything above 27 will disappoint me.

Don't see the point in going around the same thing a thousand times, to be honest. I already said why I think is the wrong thing to do, and to be counter productive in all levels. We should fight for women and men integration and no the other way around.

If you can't understand my point, then fair enough.

Sotha Sil

how old are you? 16?
Honestly.

I don't know how old you are, but here's the children's book version of the argument just in case.

CiKMeXH.jpg

Nepenthe

Don't see the point in going around the same thing a thousand times, to be honest.

Yet you keep posting in the thread, and this was after brushing me off with a smartass inquiry about my age because you couldn't answer my (admittedly-smug) question about the depths of your knowledge concerning white supremacy, something you keep invoking with your comparison to "whites only" screenings.

We should fight for women and men integration and no the other way around.

The fact that you think this is the signal for a fight says everything.

B33

Banned

They're not equivalent.

For decades there have been MEN'S ONLY events. Women have been oppressed and ignored and treated unfairly not just in recreational entertainment, but as well in professional industries. Gender inequality still exists today.

To celebrate the first female superhero movie in 12 years, Alamo decided to hold a screening for anyone who identified as a woman. This isn't illegal and there isn't an issue here unless you're insecure. It's a private establishment and they can do as they wish.

There are NUMEROUS open Wonder Woman screenings at Alamo Drafthouse NYC before and after this screening, as well as in the surrounding theaters the day and time of the special screening. You won't be restricted from seeing the movie because of it. It's a private celebration for women. Get over it.

Your criticism of this is ignorant of how accommodations for inequality work in society. Accommodations are made until we are all on the same ground and the barriers have been removed. There's nothing wrong with making these accommodations and they're in fact essential to the well-being of those affected by them. History matters. Inequality still exists today, which is why it's taken 12 years for another female superhero movie to happen.

Opto

Banned
and man can't be part of that? You assume men are unable to enjoy the film and being around women? Sorry but there's no way to pretend this is the right path to follow at all.

As a scholar of feminism, I'm sure you know that the male experience is inherently different from the experience as a woman. Therefore, you cannot ever know what it's like to be a woman if you are not one. And that critical lack of perspective is something one should recognize and internalize.

And there is no "path." This is not the start of some march of women to paradise island, leaving behind all men. This is what, two screenings now of a massively distributed blockbuster film that you can not only watch at Alamo, but many other theaters? This is less of an event when all the girls in a group of friends go hang out for a weekend.

false equivalences?
do you even know what feminism is about? aside from reading about it on wikipedia

You do have a point. After all, this is the definition of feminism:

"Ignoring all context and pretending like every single thing that is ever done for women is exactly the same as if it happened for men."

Top Bottom