• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alamo Drafthouse hosting women-only Wonder Woman screenings June 6th

Zutrax

Segregation isn't a thing of human history... If you don't put limits, you'll never know when you'll cross them or not.

Just imagine for a second, Black Panther movie with Black people only screening... holy shit, things would get ugly really fast, just saying.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here... why would it be so wrong to let black people enjoy a film that celebrates their race, together? Why are you feeling so attacked by this?

I've discussed a couple times in this thread that everyone keeps using slippery slope arguments and you're doing just that. You should take a step back and realize these events aren't meant to be forced segregation, as other showings exist and these special ones are beyond the opening date. So you aren't being forced out of seeing the film, you're just being told this specific one is meant to be a celebration for a specific kind of people and you don't fall into that group. There's a vast difference between celebration that utilizes segregation, and negative forced segregation. Think of it like a bachelor/bachelorette party. They usually only include men or women, but they are that way to celebrate, not so you can look down upon and force out the other group.

They must recoil when they hear the song..

The fucking horror..
The blatant sexism and bias of the late seventies, early eighties will never not horrify me.

Shocking.

Ladies' nights have actually been ruled to be unlawful sex discrimination in a bunch of states.

Here's a good article on it: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...y_be_illegal_an_excerpt_from_richard_t_1.html

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of these guys buying tickets in protest to show up, get turned away and attempt a (probably unsuccessful) lawsuit.
You've got to be shitting me, that's amazing! Well, terrible but amazing.

Segregation isn't a thing of human history... If you don't put limits, you'll never know when you'll cross them or not.

So you don't have an actual answer. Got it.

Just imagine for a second, Black Panther movie with Black people only screening... holy shit, things would get ugly really fast, just saying.

If it got ugly it would be because a bunch of oversensitive white people couldn't stand the idea of not being catered to, not because there's anything wrong with the idea of black people celebrating the first big blockbuster featuring a black superhero with other black people.

Ladies' nights have actually been ruled to be unlawful sex discrimination in a bunch of states.

Here's a good article on it: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...y_be_illegal_an_excerpt_from_richard_t_1.html

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of these guys buying tickets in protest to show up, get turned away and attempt a (probably unsuccessful) lawsuit.

giphy.gif

Getting mad at mothers day? Such petty, tiny little men..lol.

Rookhelm

I don't see the big deal...i mean, I've been turned away at the door simply because I didn't know the 8 year old who's birthday it was at the skating rink.

Clearos

It is a private company and like most companies if they do something I don't like I take my business someplace else.

-only an example, i have no issue with what they are doing.

ReiGun

I especially enjoy the fiction wherein this will usher in some new age Jim Crow where we'll have separate movie theaters for every demographic imaginable.

it's not the first female led hero movies in decades but whatever, it's just a publicity stunt and nothing more.

I don't really care at the end of the day but when shit will escalate, and they'll do like always, I hope you'll have the same attitude as you have now

"When shit will escalate"? Oh man, what are we heading towards?

I don't give a single fuck about who is in this theater, I don't really care if some men/women just want to be all together in a screening or not, I just want to enjoy the movie as much as possible.

That's a stupid idea but the US loves communitarianism

Why can't we enjoy nice things together ? Why should we always being separated by our color of the skin, our gender or our social rank ? Where the limit to this shit ? Next time it'll be White people only, Black people only, LGBT people only ?

For them, it's just a marketing push and it seems to work, fine, I don't care why people want to do but theater is something that need to be share with everyone, EVERYONE...

Some of are ok with this idea but are afraid of what could happen next and some of my friend just hate the idea, I'm in the first camp, the idea by itself don't really bother me but I can see what problem we can have in the future.

It's not about that but if you allow stuff like this, next we can have only White people screening, only Black people screening etc and things will going down, you can be sure of it.

Oh ok. While you worry about the slippery slope for future exclusive screenings, we'll just stay here in the here and now reality being fine with screenings for marginalised groups to enjoy a movie with their peers, avoiding harassment and scrutiny from the majority.

You're not fooling anyone by constantly repeating how much you don't care about this :p

Phased

it's not the first female led hero movies in decades but whatever, it's just a publicity stunt and nothing more.

I don't really care at the end of the day but when shit will escalate, and they'll do like always, I hope you'll have the same attitude as you have now

You kinda seem like you care at least a little with how much you post here about it.

There's nothing slippery about this slope, it's a female led movie being celebrated with a few screenings for females only. I half expected you to use the "what's next people marrying their dogs?!" argument.

It's sad to see on KnowYourMeme that practically everyone is furious and any semblance of support is flooded with downvotes. I just don't see how it's any different then special holiday promos like an all veterans movie night or a mother's day brunch or something.

It's sad to see on KnowYourMeme that practically everyone is furious and any semblance of support is flooded with downvotes. I just don't see how it's any different then special holiday promos like an all veterans movie night or a mother's day brunch or something.

MEN'S RIGHTS MY GUY

M I S A N D R Y

Also KnowYourMeme is a cesspool, I wouldn't look to them for anything really.

Vice

Businesses have done promotions catering to groups in the past. I'm not upset when my local theaters does an infant screening, has a promotion for the elderly or gives veterans free tickets on a couple days of the year.

As far as it being a publicity stunt? Fine. They're raising money for a good cause and giving people a good time. Something can be a publicity stunt and good. The two aren't exclusive.

I mean KYM was a haven for Gamergate so not surprising.

"When shit will escalate"? Oh man, what are we heading towards?

Oh ok. While you worry about the slippery slope for future exclusive screenings, we'll just stay here in the here and now reality being fine with screenings for marginalised groups to enjoy a movie with their peers, avoiding harassment and scrutiny from the majority.

You're not fooling anyone by constantly repeating how much you don't care about this :p

lol

This is the first step backwards to segregation, y'all. You heard it here first. NeoGAF *SCOOP*

The site is called KnowYourMeme

commedieu

Banned

Yeah, men might continue making more money than women, and having more opportunity than women -- If this fucking bullshit keeps up.

lol @ marks.

Sometimes I'm glad I'm a white man so I can call people like this out on their bullshit and they might actually listen to what I have to say.

Otherwise, this shit makes me sick.
Same. No problem with using that fact to call people out on junk like this. Fortunately, that hasn't really been a problem in my friend group, but still.

Slayven

Any automatic system should have a check for Carson Daly against the date and automatically toss shit out if it is past 1999

Platy

how does it works for transgender ?

It is right there in the OP

And when we say “People Who Identify As Women Only,” we mean it

and on page 1

FFS this theater has announced they are going to switch to unisex bathrooms to avoid any bathroom bill issues, and they hand buttons out in their lobby to show you are someone a trans person can walk up to if they are uncomfortable or scared in a situation.

So you don't have an actual answer. Got it.

If it got ugly it would be because a bunch of oversensitive white people couldn't stand the idea of not being catered to, not because there's anything wrong with the idea of black people celebrating the first big blockbuster featuring a black superhero with other black people.

The thing is, it's not the first black superhero movie, hell not even the first marvel black superhero movie, so the idea of an all black screening doesn't seem as "we've been waiting for this our whole life" feeling that wonder woman has. I can see that idea not flying as "well" as wonder woman is.

The thing is, it's not the first black superhero movie, hell not even the first marvel black superhero movie, so the idea of an all black screening doesn't seem as "we've been waiting for this our whole life" feeling that wonder woman has. I can see that idea not flying as "well" as wonder woman is.
How about the first black superhero movie from Marvel Studios? I think the Alamo can get away with doing something like that. Forget about those that would be against it.

Media

Again, please remember that Wonder Woman has be an icon for women for forever. I don't even like DC and I'm pumped as fuck to see it. She is my exception. So a celebration of that cultural icon, for the culture that identifies with her most, with proceeds going to a service that largely serves women that is currently under attack, for women only, for a few screenings in the middle of the week, after opening weekend, is nothing to blow a fucking gasket over. I just wish I had an Alamo nearby so my daughter and I could attend. It would be amazing.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Forgive me if this has already been posted but Austin's Mayor weighed in on this and it was gold: http://www.kvue.com/news/local/adler-respond-all-female-wonder-woman-screening-email/444672193

I would quote the relevant stuff, but the content of the article is nearly 100% just the text I would quote and I think that's kinda tacky.

Worth a read though.

Here is a snippet
"Dear Mr. Amenduri,

I am writing to alert you that your email account has been hacked by an unfortunate and unusually hostile individual. Please remedy your account's security right away, lest this person's uninformed and sexist rantings give you a bad name. After all, we men have to look out for each other!

Forgive me if this has already been posted but Austin's Mayor weighed in on this and it was gold: http://www.kvue.com/news/local/adler-respond-all-female-wonder-woman-screening-email/444672193

I would quote the relevant stuff, but the content of the article is nearly 100% just the text I would quote and I think that's kinda tacky.

Worth a read though.

Love that the mayor hit him with the FACTS. Some of those achievements, I didn't even know. I would have added stuff about computers like Ada Lovelace.

Steve Adler, well done striking down this sexist loser.
G1RYv8m.jpg

Not

Banned
I went to Austin last month for the first time and wondered what it was like to live in such a cool city with Texas' chucklefuck leaders in the capitol building smack dab in the middle of it at all times.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It's not about that but if you allow stuff like this, next we can have only White people screening, only Black people screening etc and things will going down, you can be sure of it.

I think its fairly safe to say an all female showing of Wonder Woman isn't going to single handedly bring back segregation.

Dan-o

I went to Austin last month for the first time and wondered what it was like to live in such a cool city with Texas' chucklefuck leaders in the capitol building smack dab in the middle of it at all times.

The city's slogan isn't "Keep Austin Weird" for nothin' ;)

Worth a read though.

Here is a snippet
That response is amazing
You and I are serious men of substance with little time for the delicate sensitivities displayed by the pitiful creature who maligned your good name and sterling character by writing that abysmal email.

The_Kid

Update on this:

https://www.guidelive.com/geek/2017...lement-women-wonder-screenings-discriminatory

Alamo decided to come forward and give the crybabies something.

As part of the settlement, Alamo Drafthouse will update their existing discrimination policy, social media policy and training materials, using this experience as a case study. They will also, interestingly, "provide a free DVD of Wonder Woman to" the two men who filed complaints against them.

One of the men apparently thinks that isn't good enough and wants almost $9000, roughly 3 times the cost of tickets and concessions for the screenings.

Update on this:

https://www.guidelive.com/geek/2017...lement-women-wonder-screenings-discriminatory

Alamo decided to come forward and give the crybabies something.

As part of the settlement, Alamo Drafthouse will update their existing discrimination policy, social media policy and training materials, using this experience as a case study. They will also, interestingly, "provide a free DVD of Wonder Woman to" the two men who filed complaints against them.

One of the men apparently thinks that isn't good enough and wants almost $9000, roughly 3 times the cost of tickets and concessions for the screenings.

The DVD should be a pirated copy with hardcoded foreign subtitles.

Top Bottom