• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alamo Drafthouse hosting women-only Wonder Woman screenings June 6th

And then they cut off one of the men but not the woman, typical liberal facist misandry!!

And when you're
gJUYubP.png

You're 4Life

Nepenthe

I care about audience make-up.

Seeing 300 with a crowd of hype millennials yelling Sparta was special.

Seeing Get Out with a primarily black audience who could relate personally to the social issues, comedy, and subversion was special.

Seeing Arrival with an older audience who appreciated theater etiquette more was special.

Subsequently, seeing Wonder Woman with all women is undoubtedly going to be special for the lucky women attending, provided their showings aren't crashed by special snowflake men.

Alamo may not be huge but I assure you if not the best, it's among the best movie experiences.

Before the showing of big movies they have personalized of random ass videos, ads, and youtube videos dealing with the topic. Aka avengers videos, for krampus they found a bunch of krampus shit from all over the world, etc...

They also have the ads of 'keep quiet or X' play, where usually they find a famous movie person to do a little personalized ad if it's a big enough movie. The Mad Max one is great. Not sure if it's Alamo exclusive, but regardless it's great.

Then there is the size of the theater. It's not huge and it's evenly spaced out. Since it's a restaurant/movie theater, it means there aren't as many seats, it's a smaller theater, and you have a hollow table in front of you with a bunch of space so you can stretch your legs like a king and can put your food on the big ass table.

Speaking of the food, they have the BEST food for movie theaters. Their popcorn is amazing, and you can get an assortment of personal sized pizzas, sandwiches, desserts, etc... hell they might sometimes have a special food. Such as fish and chips. It's great. They also have alcohol and mixed drinks/alcoholic desserts. Sometimes evena personalized drink for a big movie.

And finally of course it's their policy. Kids under 18 can't enter without a guardian with them. And their kick-out policy is fucking extreme. One warning, and second time you are kicked the fuck out. And people who go to Alamo aren't fucking around, they will rat you out if you are being a nuisance and the waiter will come and give you a warning without hesitation.

I love that chain so much, which is why it makes me so sad I don't have a closer one here in Fort Worth. Closest one is in Dallas, and I ain't driving that far for it. When I visit my friends in my hometown I try to go though.
I moved to SoCal from Austin and the thing I miss the most is the Alamos.

red731

Subsequently, seeing Wonder Woman with all women is undoubtedly going to be special for the lucky women attending, provided their showings aren't crashed by special snowflake men.

I can see that happening, because why the fuck not ruin day for female movie goers.

okdakor

#OnlySpidersForSpiderman

They should have a Spider-Man homecoming screening only for teens, to discriminate these guys a bit more.
From what I read about the Alamo, they'll be ready to deal with the idiots who bought tickets, and I hope they'll document it on YouTube...

Nepenthe

They should have a Spider-Man homecoming screening only for teens, to discriminate these guys a bit more.
From what I read about the Alamo, they'll be ready to deal with the idiots who bought tickets, and I hope they'll document it on YouTube...

I need them to exchange the tickets and give them free to any remaining women who want them.

Anung

Un Rama

I just hope they have some good security just in case. You know what these fucks are like.

Son Of D

I hope they do this again for Captain Marvel. Sure she's not as big a pop culture icon as Wonder Woman but it'll be great for women who want to see it.

Your being awfully cynical about this whole thing for no reason. But let's really talk about this:

I think your mad that this event is bringing in more attention to Wonder Woman. It sure seems that way.

I don't have any emotional investment in Wonder Woman. I don't go and see comic book movies in the cinema. Hell I very rarely go to the cinema anymore.

Was gonna make a juwanna man joke but after seeing these crybabies who cares, dudes acting like they banned from seeing the movie. I love the Alamo draft house, glad they finally opened one by me. Love their sodas.

Platy

I don't know why some are reacting badly to this. There are regular women only screenings (this one is called 'Flicks with the Chicks') for certain sessions at a major cinema in Australia near me. Here's the latest on that:

http://villagecinemas.com.au/events/flicks-with-the-chicks

Because it is not this flick

BgPO46u.jpg

It is a NERD flick and all the nerd girls are just faking it therefore this movie is aimed at THEM because comic books

Not

Banned
All this has done for me is prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the people who yell about snowflakes and SJWs are projecting. HARD.

Opto

Banned
Seeing a great idea on twitter to start demanding universal healthcare for women only, in order for men to demand healthcare for everyone

Something told me not to actually read any posts in this thread. Some of ya'll are some sorry, salty mothafuckas.

I hope these women have a fucking blast. And I hope any salty dudes get booed right the fuck out. Fucking losers. Are you mad you can't join a sorority too?

Are there not Girls Nights at bars and theaters around you guys? Its a pretty regular thing near me and I've just always assumed that was the case for most towns/cities. Is it just the fact that its for a comic movie that is suddenly causing all the commotion or are people really just that desperate for a controversy?

I'm curious - is the no-phone policy movie-only, or does it extend to trailers etc.?

movie only,

but since the theater isn't as vertically inclined due to the smaller size theaters you aren't likely to see as many lights shining.

Also I would rather they keep it this way, ads are nice but sometimes you get there during the trailers and still want to order food before the 'turn everything off and shut the fuck up' ad shows up.

Not to derail the topic too much but I was pretty disappointed with Alamo the time I went. Having a strict cellphone ban is moot when you're distracted by all the moving around with the orders and food.

Can't people just ...watch a fucking movie with minimal distractions?

dickroach

movie only,

but since the theater isn't as vertically inclined due to the smaller size theaters you aren't likely to see as many lights shining.

Also I would rather they keep it this way, ads are nice but sometimes you get there during the trailers and still want to order food before the 'turn everything off and shut the fuck up' ad shows up.

they are at the one in NY.
and I've showed up to a 7pm movie at 710 and still got my food order in before the "turn off your cell phones or gtfo" thing.
i dunno. i love the place.

Not to derail the topic too much but I was pretty disappointed with Alamo the time I went. Having a strict cellphone ban is moot when you're distracted by all the moving around with the orders and food.

Can't people just ...watch a fucking movie with minimal distractions?

A cell phone is really distracting compared to someone getting up to use the bathroom or get food. In a dark room any hint of light is gonna be distracting and everyone behind you can see it. I can't stand watching a movie and having a dude in front of me pull out his phone to check his text messages and email. I have to force my eyes to focus on the movie and block out the light from the phone.

Dan-o

I can't stand watching a movie and having a dude in front of me pull out his phone to check his text messages and email.

No joke, I once saw a guy pull out his phone (it was one of those Samsung ones with a stylus), and he was messing around with Google Maps... in the middle of a movie... being shown during a film festival.

I really hate going to movies and prefer waiting for films to come out on video. I wish studios offered same day bluray/dvd releases on their new films. I don't think doing this would hurt theater sales because there are intangible aspects to the theater going experience that you'll never get watching a bluray at home. I just happen to fall into the minority here

Also, I imagine a scenario of theater goers liking a movie they had walked out enough to decide to purchase a bluray of the same film on the same day. I'm sure that many Star Wars fans would see Last Jedi in the theater on opening night, and then pick up their bluray copy right after seeing it in the theater if that were an option.

TS-08

Are there not Girls Nights at bars and theaters around you guys? Its a pretty regular thing near me and I've just always assumed that was the case for most towns/cities. Is it just the fact that its for a comic movie that is suddenly causing all the commotion or are people really just that desperate for a controversy?

Ladies' Night at bars usually just refers to women not having to pay as much - or any - cover to get in the bar (and maybe some discounts on certain drinks too). It usually doesn't refer to only allowing in women. I've never heard of a theater doing something like a ladies' night but I'm sure there are some out there that might do something similar from time to time.

We have many "Women Nights" here too, it's not something very rare but I don't really get it, I mean, when I go to theater, I'm not going because of the people I'll seat with but for the movie I want to watch.

I'm going to watch a movie, good or bad and I don't give a single fuck about who is in this theater, I don't really care if some men/women just want to be all together in a screening or not, I just want to enjoy the movie as much as possible.

let them have a women/men only screenings if it's making them better about themselves.

Men tend to purposefully ruin things like this. When it comes to Wonder Woman, they are always pointing out how ridiculous her power is when we already know because it is a comic book movie. Meanwhile, the movies that they deem "manly" like Star Wars, Star Trek, and other comic nook films are put on an alter when they are all stupid as fuck when you think about.

louiedog

I really hate going to movies and prefer waiting for films to come out on video. I wish studios offered same day bluray/dvd releases on their new films. I don't think doing this would hurt theater sales because there are intangible aspects to the theater going experience that you'll never get watching a bluray at home. I just happen to fall into the minority here

Also, I imagine a scenario of theater goers liking a movie they had walked out enough to decide to purchase a bluray of the same film on the same day. I'm sure that many Star Wars fans would see Last Jedi in the theater on opening night, and then pick up their bluray copy right after seeing it in the theater if that were an option.

At that point their ticket sales wouldn't just be competing with Blu-ray sales, but also piracy. A lot of people would be fine watching at home for free and give up that theater experience they'd otherwise choose over Blu-ray. I bet Star Wars would be fine, but something like Get Out which was at my local theater until a week or two before the Blu-ray wouldn't.

Seeing Get Out with a primarily black audience who could relate personally to the social issues, comedy, and subversion was special.

Seeing Arrival with an older audience who appreciated theater etiquette more was special.

Exactly. You get it.

IrishNinja

Hooray for exclusion!

hooray for shitty hot-takes!

great post, thank you for this

commedieu

Banned
It's pathetic that I can see the pages on this thread and know full well it's going to be a bunch of people feigning outrage over this.

a normal response:

A. "I want to go!'

B. "That's pretty cool"

C. "Hmm how can I sneak in and hit on chicks?"

D. "Whatever"

While c is suspect, still, we'll within the realm.

Anything beyond that just shows how frail your ego is. As well as military grade lack of self awareness.

manfestival

There is nothing more hype than watching new star wars releases in a theater full of 40 year old men on release night that forgot to shower earlier

TI82

Banned
Not complaining and it's a private company so they can do what they want within the legal bounds. But this does seem a little.. I dunno, maybe not the best idea.

Top Bottom