• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alamo Drafthouse hosting women-only Wonder Woman screenings June 6th

Indifferent? It's advertising. Philanthropy is marketing.

They're pissing off a small number of idiots. That doesn't mean what they're doing isn't a self serving PR stunt. I don't care that they do it; I'd never go see this trash in the cinema and it doesn't affect any man with a brain negatively. I care about the "yeah you show em, guys!" mindset as if targeted advertising and PR stunts are some incredible thing. They're trying to improve their brand. That's it. That's why they're intentionly responding to antagonistic people; to go viral. It's not a profound statement, it's a stunt.

Which is part of why they have a cool brand perception.

They're empty gestures. It's about money. They don't lose a thing irritating some insecure men online.

Because this isn't "good". It's a stunt. it's not good nor bad. They could just donate any profits from a screening to charity without a gimmick or an announcement.
You definitely care that the Drafthouse does this, considering how many posts you've made in this thread. You're just coming at your critique from a different angle instead of going about discrimination. Your comment on why you wouldn't see this "trash" is only relevant if you're a girl cause this topic isn't about whether you'd go see this "trash" or not.

I'll reiterate: ONLY people expecting this gesture to be a "profound statement" or meant to be some social progress or how it affects feminism are people critiquing it. Everyone else just expects this to be a fun event for women.

Whoop dee doo, you're the only one in the world who figured out that Drafthouse, a business, is promoting this event, donating to a good cause as part of all of that, and responding to idiots in their usual no-nonsense manner. Everything a business announces would be technically a publicity stunt, because that's what businesses do, you're not exactly pulling back the curtain to the Wizard Of Oz for anyone here.

Because this isn't "good". It's a stunt. it's not good nor bad. They could just donate any profits from a screening to charity without a gimmick or an announcement.

A lot of people made good points towards you.

1. If they donated to charity and didn't mention it, then we'd have this situation without a cool event for women to attend and enjoy. Such an event is not purely beneficial to Alamo, so who cares? It's neat.
2. People are pretty well aware that it's a promotional thing. People are celebrating Alamo because they did a promotional thing that was cool and made idiot sexists assmad.
3. How much have you donated to Planned Parenthood?

They make special ones based on movies too

Shit when I watched Midnight Special there I got a beer that was based on Everybody Wants Some. Trust me they go in
Yeah that poster saying stuff like the women's only night is why they have such a good rep.

Nah. It's cause of the booze, the food, and that they throw out people who talk unless it's a children's movie and thank the Lord for that.

Ya don't get it twisted, Alamo is the godfather to all those dinner/movie spots popping up nowadays

They also cater most of their pre-movie gimmicks specifically to the movie, like again for Midnight Special, they showed the music video for Midnight City, which is what the movie kinda grew from

They also have zero sympy and will boot a motherfucker out

Ya don't get it twisted, Alamo is the godfather to all those dinner/movie spots popping up nowadays

They also cater most of their pre-movie gimmicks specifically to the movie, like again for Midnight Special, they showed the music video for Midnight City, which is what the movie kinda grew from

And not only is it the godfather. It shits on the others from a great height.

Fat4all

Banned

seeing people get booted out for using their phone in the theater is part of the entertainment, to be fair.

Indifferent? It's advertising. Philanthropy is marketing.

They're pissing off a small number of idiots. That doesn't mean what they're doing isn't a self serving PR stunt. I don't care that they do it; I'd never go see this trash in the cinema and it doesn't affect any man with a brain negatively. I care about the "yeah you show em, guys!" mindset as if targeted advertising and PR stunts are some incredible thing. They're trying to improve their brand. That's it. That's why they're intentionly responding to antagonistic people; to go viral. It's not a profound statement, it's a stunt.

Your being awfully cynical about this whole thing for no reason. But let's really talk about this:
I'd never go see this trash in the cinema and it doesn't affect any man with a brain negatively.
I think your mad that this event is bringing in more attention to Wonder Woman. It sure seems that way.

Cyanity

Banned
Go go Alamo Drafthouse! I've only ever heard good things about them. Kinda bummed that they don't have a New England presence.

Good lord I want them to go through with that "clowns only" screening of IT.
Anyway, people are going to get mad no matter what you do. Might as well make it fun for someone rather than uneventful for everyone.

It's depressing as fuck that a "progressive" forum like GAF has so many idiotic men.

"Progressive" has never meant "intelligent." You're going to get idiots in any group, regardless of what said group's core beliefs may be.

Can't believe people are getting worked up over this, who gives a fuck what the theater does. Move on, why let something like having an all girl showing of a movie get you so worked up. There's more important things in this world to worry about than a theater having an all female showing.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
UXnREGr.png

Absolutely. I don't like the mindset of cheerleading companies for getting involved in politics. I stopped going to Chick-fil-A because they got too involved in the anti-gay stuff. I'll stop going to places like this, too. I don't care about the message. People can learn send positive messages to each other without needing corporate validation. Our corporate worship is unhinged. The Year of the Depends Adult Undergarments gets one year closer

What

Media

Absolutely. I don't like the mindset of cheerleading companies for getting involved in politics. I stopped going to Chick-fil-A because they got too involved in the anti-gay stuff. I'll stop going to places like this, too. I don't care about the message. People can learn send positive messages to each other without needing corporate validation. Our corporate worship is unhinged. The Year of the Depends Adult Undergarments gets one year closer

How is this political?

This is a positive message.

Nepenthe

Why do you want me to explain why it's political when there are 14 pages already you can thumb through and see the attitudes this corporate advertisement is attempting to play off?

It's 14 pages of men explaining why the event is entirely political and agenda-driven while women are saying "I just wanted to watch a movie with other women."

The Kree

Banned
I think if this is your response, you don't understand my problem with it and you've oversimplified. I'm not saying it isn't a positive message. I'm saying I don't like what it says about our culture that corporate stunts like this get the attention they do. It's an anti-corporate stance.

When corporations do questionable shit, they get criticized. When they do cool shit, they get praised. Not sure what the problem is.

How is this political?

They are taking a political stance. It's pretty straightforward.

This is a positive message.

It isn't to him/her. And if he/she feels they need to take their business elsewhere, like they did for chick fil a, due to the corporation starting getting political, then it's their right. I agree with him/her in that I dislike when companies and celebrities/executives get into politics. They all have a right to express their beliefs and support, of course, but I don't really care for them. Their reality is different than mostly everybody else, so I really couldn't care less what they say. I won't go as far as Darryl and boycott companies and whatnot, mainly because I don't think that does anything. I already don't go to Alamo or eat at chic fil a, but for different reasons. If they were my go to places, I would still keep going there provided they kept providing me the service I wanted and expected, even if I disagreed with their political stances.

BamfMeat

They are taking a political stance. It's pretty straightforward.

It isn't to him/her. And if he/she feels they need to take their business elsewhere, like they did for chick fil a, due to the corporation starting getting political, then it's their right. I agree with him/her in that I dislike when companies and celebrities/executives get into politics. They all have a right to express their beliefs and support, of course, but I don't really care for them. Their reality is different than mostly everybody else, so I really couldn't care less what they say. I won't go as far as Darryl and boycott companies and whatnot, mainly because I don't think that does anything. I already don't go to Alamo or eat at chic fil a, but for different reasons. If they were my go to places, I would still keep going there provided they kept providing me the service I wanted and expected, even if I disagreed with their political stances.

There's nothing political about having a womens only showing. Tell met he politics in it. Explain it to me like I'm a 4 year old.

Also, literally every company has a political stance. Every. Single. One. Of. Them. If you don't like businesses that have political stances, I'd recommend starting to take underwater basket weaving classes at your local college (except they may also have political stances, so be wary).

Top Bottom