• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alamo Drafthouse hosting women-only Wonder Woman screenings June 6th

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Alamo should troll more and give away one of a kind Wonder Woman poster exclusive to these showings

Watch how men will go apeshit then

"I can't watch and they get GOODIES!, my rights and privileges as a man are being hostiled takeover by a feminist movie theater chain event!, Demand compensation!"

Why do you keep bringing up straight white men in such a hostile fashion?

It likely is a marketing strategy first and foremost. It's drawing a bunch of attention to their establishment. That's how publicity works. That the proceeds go to charity can either be out of genuine goodwill, or to paint themselves in an even more positive light (or both).

Sure they might also wanna do something fun and creative but it's still a place of business. They may want to do it to create a communal place for people, but, that also draws more $$$ their way.

I'm a straight Latin American male who agrees with this event and shakes his head at the people in the OP. Is my opinion valid?

Your opinion completely ignores all the goodwill the Drafthouse has build for years. This is a place that has no problem kicking people out if they're disruptive despite paying for their ticket and food. It's a place that puts the people first before the business.

ReiGun

I showed this article to a few female friends, and explained some examples of how people here are defending the event, including the safe space comment.

They feel that it's more insulting to presume that women would attend this screening to unite as women and be away from men. To them it's more of a semi ironic celebration and fun night out, one cited Magic Mike as an example. Good silly fun between girls. That's it.
Okay? And? I could do the same thing and my female friends might want to go for those exact reasons. Because that's what "good silly fun between girls" is for them.

Not trying to downplay your friends' views. Just saying you can't present their view as some kind of counterpoint to the idea that an event like this would be attractive to some women because they'd be more comfortable just watching the film with other women. Hell, we have women in this very thread explaining the same things I'm saying.

The point is, regardless of their reasons, women should be able to have events like this without men getting all in their feelings or trying to disrupte the proceedings.

Meh. Either one is the same on principle. If you think private male only country clubs aren;'t ok, then it's hypocritical to think female only screenings are ok too. Allowing one, while disallowing other is just sexist and only breeds resentment. And if you force yourself in into place where other people don't want you then you're just an asshole, no matter if you're a woman or a man.
That's only a valid comparison if we're talking about women-only cinemas, not a few screenings at certain screentimes. Where are you coming from with these sexism and resentment accusations, a few women-only screenings is gonna create something like misandry? Huh?

Biske

Alamo should troll more and give away one of a kind Wonder Woman poster exclusive to these showings

"I can't watch and they get GOODIES!, my rights and privileges as a man are being hostiled takeover by a feminist movie theater chain event!, Demand compensation!"

Ahahah this would be fucking fantastic.

EQUAL MENS POSTER RIGHTS!!!

Oh exclusive posters is a great idea!

Okay? And? I could do the same thing and my female friends might want to go for those exact reasons. Because that's what "good silly fun between girls" is for them.

Not trying to downplay your friends' views. Just saying you can't present their view as some kind of counterpoint to the idea that an event like this would be attractive to some women because they'd be more comfortable just watching the film with other women. Hell, we have women in this very thread explaining the same things I'm saying.

Of course they might and probably will feel more comfortable. I totally understand that sentiment and that's the reason I agree with the event and the cinema's initiative.

I'm just referring to the people inflating this into something much more serious, a place for women to unite and feel empowered, etc. A select few users in this thread have been a bit aggressive about it.

Anyways I'm done lol. Work is dead but time to listen to a podcast or something.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I've convinced a girl to do an Vincent Adultman type deal with her as the head so I can watch the movie for free. It's gonna be so lit.

That's only a valid comparison if we're talking about women-only cinemas, not a few screenings at certain screentimes. Where are you coming from with these sexism and resentment accusations, a few women-only screenings is gonna create something like misandry? Huh?

Obvious what will happen is women will go to this, then they will rise up! They'll start demanding women only everything, then overnight they'll topple all the straight white men in power and replace them with women, then they'll go on to rewrite the constitution to say "girlz rule boys drool!" then they'll take away all men's rights, and start discriminating against men.

We can't let that happen!! This is how the American matriarchy starts!

Obvious what will happen is women will go to this, then they will rise up! They'll start demanding women only everything, then overnight they'll topple all the straight white men in power and replace them with women, then they'll go on to rewrite the constitution to say "girlz rule boys drool!" then they'll take away all men's rights, and start discriminating against men.

Not to mention the massive cootie epidemic

Nepenthe

Why do you keep bringing up straight white men in such a hostile fashion?

Because

A.) Those are the people who have been triggered the most over this, and

B.) The sudden politicization of this event speaks to white privilege as it manifests in western nerd spaces, that being that ethnic, gender, and sexual minorities' asserting their identities and presence without the approval of straight white men apparently cannot be done for the sake of doing so, but only for the sake of political correctness or a progressive agenda. Note that the ONLY people in this thread and abroad who have asserted that the Alamo have done this to try and "solve sexism" or "advance feminism" are men, hence the irrelevant arguments about how this hurts the "feminist cause." Women, however, just see this primarily as an opportunity to just have fun with other women and watch what's rumored to be the first good movie in the DCEU.

It likely is a marketing strategy first and foremost. It's drawing a bunch of attention to their establishment. That's how publicity works. That the proceeds go to charity can either be out of genuine goodwill, or to paint themselves in an even more positive light (or both).

Sure they might also wanna do something fun and creative but it's still a place of business. They may want to do it to create a communal place for people, but, that also draws more $$$ their way.

This applies to everything in a capitalist society where audiences nonetheless find an opportunity to have fun with their friends and family. Who cares?

I'm a straight Latin American male who agrees with this event and shakes his head at the people in the OP. Is my opinion valid?

I feel the better question is why are you and others so concerned with your opinion mattering in this particular instance? I mean, yeah, it's nice that you agree with the event and shake your head at the people in the OP. Basic allyship is good. But at the end of the day, the people who ultimately have the most sway over the good of this event are women.

Also, here's a particular reason why women-only events are not equivalent to men-only ones

In a society where one group is disproportionately advantaged over another, there's inherently going to be an imbalance. Let's say that men are at an 8 and women a 3, and that the ideal number for both is 5. How would you achieve this? Well, you would give some advantages to women that they didn't have and take away some that men do have. If you only do the latter and not the former, what ultimately happens is that men are at a 5, and women are still at a 3. You can't simply be hands-off when correcting for this kind of thing, it doesn't work if you do it like that. You need to add some weight to one side of the scale to compensate for the excess weight on the other side.

Syder

'Ladies Nights' is a pretty old pub tradition. Obviously men can still go to them but I've never heard anyone complain about those.

These screenings gonna turn America into Themyscira!

Magwik

Banned
Ah yes the most highly regarded theater chain in the states surely needs to piggy back off of Wonder Woman for a publicity stunt. God forbid they just try to do something cool to celebrate the release of the movie.

Slayven

These screenings gonna turn America into Themyscira!

zR040uV.png

Ah yes the most highly regarded theater chain in the states surely needs to piggy back off of Wonder Woman for a publicity stunt. God forbid they just try to do something cool to celebrate the release of the movie.

Ignoring the fact that, as pointed out before, we live in a capitalist society where basically everything is marketing, that argument especially comes out when anyone tries to do anything cool *for women and minorities.* It's just marketing, pandering, etc. etc. etc. There's always an ulterior motive, unless it's an event catered towards
other demographics that I won't name because it seems to upset them.
Then it's just "oh this cool thing, isn't that cool?"

IrishNinja

this would be hilarious

I am sure all these Men fighting for their rights will be at the next planned parenthood fundraiser

more crickets than the all lives matter crowd at anything not related to whites

I really don't think posts like this should get a pass. It's blatantly racist and hateful, and these words certainly wouldn't fly if they were said about literally any other demographic.

i feel you, i should be able to say the n-word too bruhbruh

RedAssedApe

Banned
Most of these men wont show up. Just like they wont say the kind of stuff they say on the internet to your face in real life.

Love the idea of giving limited edition stuff at these screenings. Dc/warner needs to hook them up

blackflag

Of course they might and probably will feel more comfortable. I totally understand that sentiment and that's the reason I agree with the event and the cinema's initiative.

I'm just referring to the people inflating this into something much more serious, a place for women to unite and feel empowered, etc. A select few users in this thread have been a bit aggressive about it.

Anyways I'm done lol. Work is dead but time to listen to a podcast or something.

Look man, the only reason it ever got inflated to something more serious is because the fucking MRA idiots made it a big deal. If they hadn't cried and made asses out of themselves that's all this was because that's all it was supposed to be just a fun time for women to come and watch together.

Are you too dumb to get it?

Nepenthe

Look man, the only reason it ever got inflated to something more serious is because the fucking MRA idiots made it a big deal. If they hadn't cried and made asses out of themselves that's all this was because that's all it was supposed to be just a fun time for women to come and watch together.

Are you too dumb to get it?

Self-fulfilling prophecy. These types of people constantly justify minority-centric/only events.

Most of these men wont show up. Just like they wont say the kind of stuff they say on the internet to your face in real life.

Love the idea of giving limited edition stuff at these screenings. Dc/warner needs to hook them up

I couldn't even imagine one of them whining about this to thief wife or daughter..

I couldn't even imagine one of them whining about this to thief wife or daughter..
I'm sure their denigration and degredation of the women in their lives is more subtle, long term and ultimately more damaging.

Easy to laugh at these folks online but to remember that some of them probably have positions of power or responsibility over women or young girls and their toxic views will do profound damage over time to their self worth and sense of self.

Cindro

i feel you, i should be able to say the n-word too bruhbruh

What on earth are you talking about? All of this smug, elitist snark is a very ugly look.

NeoGAF is a nexus of hardcore gamers, enthusiast press, and video game industry developers and publishers. This is a neutral ground where facts and evidence, presented within the confines of civil, inclusive discourse, prevail through careful moderation.

What happened to "civil, inclusive discourse"? It's neither civil nor inclusive to make sweepingly negative statements about an entire demographic (in this case, straight white males), and then make fun of people who call it out for being hateful and racist. The hypocrisy is astounding.

Cindro

Irish isn't white? I thought he was just having a laugh..
Maybe I misinterpreted, but the way I took it was him randomly painting me as wanting to say the n-word because I dared express the opinion that racism against white people is still a hateful and wrong worldview.

EDIT: Just saw the person who made the comment was banned. I'm at least glad to know GAF mods aren't okay with racism against a majority group. I was starting to think I was in crazy town for a minute.

Shit, news to me.

Either way, now I wanna take a tally on who's losing their shit about this stupid screening lol..

Maybe I misinterpreted, but the way I took it was him randomly painting me as wanting to say the n-word because I dared express the opinion that racism against white people is still a hateful and wrong worldview.

He said him, tho..but I won't speak for him. Probably isn't even Irish..

ResoRai

At first I thought this was a bit odd, but I didn't know what Wonder Woman stood for. This is dope yo. Good stuff Alamo.
Hopefully some making those Thor comparisons were bit ignorant like I was at least, cause those tweets... Jeez.
Alamo PR going in tho lol.

NoRéN;238288998 said:
Greyed out names are expected in threads like this one. I find it more interesting seeing who reveals themselves in threads like these.

To the very least, you'd think pattern recognition would eventually kick in, but nope.

Top Bottom