• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 is yet to earn back its budget.

Senua

Gold Member
Terrible game. I was very disappointed by the loud obnoxious jump scares, lack of combat, constant gatherering if crap with full inventory and bad puzzles. The gameplay loop consists of slow walking and puzzles. It’s barely engaging compared to other survival horror games. And the never ending Sam lake masturbation. I even liked the game before … he puts himself in every part of the game and that’s kinda almost fine. But the story is just trash. The new character is trash and the ending is trash.
And on top of that, they just port it to ps5 by slapping low on pc settings. No rt, no alternative solution, grainy war that doesn’t work and sub 30 performance with worst fsr2 this gen. And there controls are terrible on ps5. Worst dead zones and sensitivity ever.

I am usually not that critical and this game got some amazing setting, location forests and so on… but you end up pretending to be scared, pretending to be detective, pretending to be engaged. And spend hours listening to talking heads in your mind room.

I will get hate for this and I absolutely don’t get the critical acclaimed hype this game got… and I can’t sell it because it’s only on psn
You make this post in every Alan Wake 2 thread lol

xrnzaaas

I can understand the game being exclusive on PC since Epic funded the whole project, but making it all-digital on the consoles is still unacceptable in my book. Instead of giving my money to Remedy for the physical version I was able to finish it on a shared account and they get 0 dollars.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You make this post in every Alan Wake 2 thread lol

Tom And Jerry Shrug GIF by MOODMAN

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Look, I love the game very much and Remedy in general, but they've made all sorts of mistakes, mostly thanks to their publisher Epic.

No physical? Minus 50% sales on consoles (thanks to Insomniac leak) plus the game is forever locked on the least popular PC storefront. Still no photomode in tech-heavy and very picturesque game? Minus the social media buzz and viral sales. And I think they should've made some sort of web-comics, short web-series or anything along these lines for people who don't wanna touch Control of AW1.

Doesnt help that at this point Epic itself is too involved into some sort of turf war with Apple to care about it's freaking publishing arm or it's games for that matter.

So yeah, It's kinda sad, but I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Cannot believe how some people dislike the game. It was great from start to finish. I am 42 and really don’t play many games these days due to my children, but for that game I used every opportunity to play it. Perhaps the game just clicks better with older gamers like me.

Wasn’t gonna buy it due to the performance issues on PS5 then my husband got a PC with a 4070 in it and I thought yeah I’ll just get it on Steam only to find out it was a EGS exclusive. So guess I’m waiting on PS5 Pro 🤷🏾‍♂️

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just seems weird that PC gamers demand a monopoly like that.
As a PC user I have to agree, and I don't think the EGS exclusivity is to take all the blame here.

If people were so eager to buy Alan Wake 2 all they had to do was just to install the Epic client and buy the game. But apparently they didn't, probably because there isn't really all that much interest in the game to begin with.

Last edited:

Hugare

As I said before, Remedy had to sell their soul to Epic in order to make the game.

They've imposed PC exclusivity and being the publisher, they probably couldnt make physical console copies. Sucks for Remedy, but they would never have the budget to make the game otherwise, so oh well.

That said, the original AW is still the better game and I'll die on that hill

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Considering that Alan Wake Remastered never got a Steam release, I think those of you waiting for a Steam release are going to be disappointed. Epic literally funded the game so that it could be exclusive to the Epic games launchers, which isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

I could be wrong, but I am not holding out hope for a Steam release. I just feel Epic invested too much into this game to let that happen.

Guilty_AI

Considering that Alan Wake Remastered never got a Steam release, I think those of you waiting for a Steam release are going to be disappointed. Epic literally funded the game so that it could be exclusive to the Epic games launchers, which isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

I could be wrong, but I am not holding out hope for a Steam release. I just feel Epic invested too much into this game to let that happen.
The problem is there isn't much investment on the series/IP from the public to begin with, not to mention the game doesn't seem all that great either. A lot of game purchases are half whimsical and putting up barriers, even small ones, to a product people are only mildly interested in is fatal.

They can keep it Epic exclusive, but they won't be doing themselves any favors that way.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So it's only Epic Games that made a loss on it right? Since Remedy got the funding from Epic.

Maybe Epic could publish the game on Steam, lmao.

Well, Remedy isn’t seeing a cent until Epic makes their money back.

I honestly don’t know how Remedy manages to stay afloat with all of their flops.

J3nga

Epic would rather watch game flop than giving to Gabe.

Alan Wake

My biggest issue with AW2 is boring enemy design especially if you are going for survival horror game then monster design very important.
That and the still pretty dull combat. They improved it by a tiny bit but not by much. Remedy obviously focused on presentation, not gameplay.

Epic would rather watch game flop than giving to Gabe.
Hard to blame them. I don't know why consumers cheer it on honestly. Taking 1/3rd of every game on PC and going towards another yacht for Gabe (he has 6). At least Epic makes games and game engines, and they're tossing out tons of games for free. I really don't get PC gamers' mindset. If Epic Store actually grew, Valve might have to spend some of their money on something to compete.

Last edited:
It was a captivating experience, really like the game, should've sold way more than what it did right now. I read it recouped most of the development and marketing expenses.
Also, there should've been a physical release and Steam release to significantly help boost the sales. I hope Remedy was funded well by Epic for the exclusive rights.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Its a crime such a crappy IP got a sequel in the first place

Remedy is everything bad about modern video games in a dull uninteresting package

Control was a fluke

Hudo

I honestly don’t know how Remedy manages to stay afloat with all of their flops.
Ah, so the contract was that they pay Remedy the costs if the game breaks even?

Afaik, Control did not flop, or did it?

Salz01

They should implement 40hz mode on consoles. It seems lazy that they don’t. I still haven’t finished it. Maybe one day… and they still haven’t even shown the dlc for this….

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Honestly I don't see that happening.
It'll happen sooner or later, after all DLC for the game will be launched.

Epic fully funded the game and they have full ability to distribute the title themselves. Why should they give Valve 30%? This wasn't a paid exclusive. They are the publisher. Just seems weird that PC gamers demand a monopoly like that.
I'm not demanding anything. I'll happen eventually whether they like to or not.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

An attack against Remedy?!?!

M8VJkx5.gif

Im sending that right back!!!!

81122_33_control-has-continued-to-sell-well-in-2021-remedy-says_full.jpg

control-revenue-e92-million-sequel-budget-digital-bros.png

But seriously.
Theyve been cutting some damn good deals and are a seemingly a very frugal developer.
Control only cost them 30 million to make, yet brought in like 3 times that.
A 3 to 1 return on investment for Remedy made them look very good to other publishers.

Their deals are good and they have an interesting ownership structure......they aint closing any time soon. (knock on wood)

• Alan Wake - Microsoft footing the bill.
  • Amaerican Nightmare - Microsoft footing the bill.
  • Quantum Break - Microsoft footing the bill.
  • Control - 505 Games put in alot and the game was "cheap" to make.
  • Alan Wake Remastered - Epic Games.
  • CrossFire X - Microsoft and Smilegate. (This has to be one of the best deals in gaming history, this campaign must have cost them 3 dollars to make)
  • Alan Wake 2 - Epic Games.
  • Control 2 - 505 Games.....though Remedy just bought Control from 505 Games, so this one is gonna be crucial for them, hopefully they find a good publisher.
  • Condor - Same as above.
  • Max Payne Remake - Rockstar footing the bill.
  • Kestral - Tencent footing the bill.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
An attack against Remedy?!?!

M8VJkx5.gif

Im sending that right back!!!!

81122_33_control-has-continued-to-sell-well-in-2021-remedy-says_full.jpg

control-revenue-e92-million-sequel-budget-digital-bros.png

But seriously.
Theyve been cutting some damn good deals and are a seemingly a very frugal developer.
Control only cost them 30 million to make, yet brought in like 3 times that.
A 3 to 1 return on investment for Remedy made them look very good to other publishers.

Their deals are good and they have an interesting ownership structure......they aint closing any time soon. (knock on wood)

• Alan Wake - Microsoft footing the bill.
  • Amaerican Nightmare - Microsoft footing the bill.
  • Quantum Break - Microsoft footing the bill.
  • Control - 505 Games put in alot and the game was "cheap" to make.
  • Alan Wake Remastered - Epic Games.
  • CrossFire X - Microsoft and Smilegate. (This has to be one of the best deals in gaming history, this campaign must have cost them 3 dollars to make)
  • Alan Wake 2 - Epic Games.
  • Control 2 - 505 Games.....though Remedy just bought Control from 505 Games, so this one is gonna be crucial for them, hopefully they find a good publisher.
  • Condor - Same as above.
  • Max Payne Remake - Rockstar footing the bill.
  • Kestral - Tencent footing the bill.
Not a bad way to do business. You get to keep making the games you want without being financially responsible for sales lol.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Ah, so the contract was that they pay Remedy the costs if the game breaks even?

Afaik, Control did not flop, or did it?

Epic pays the development costs upfront, but Remedy doesn’t make any money off the game’s sales until Epic recoups their share.
It took quite some time for Alan Wake Remaster to break even, so AW2 might be even worse.

Control didn’t flop. I don’t know what actual sales were, but I do know they gave that sucker away for free on Prime Gaming, Epic, AMD GPU bundles, and Humble.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Not a bad way to do business. You get to keep making the games you want without being financially responsible for sales lol.

Probably one of the smarter ways to do business as an Indie studio.
Set reasonable budgets so publishers dont feel as much risk dealiing with you.
Knowing you dont need to hammer out 10 or 20 million units also means already some of the pressure is off.
You have your own engine and engine engineers.....anything you need for the game you just do in house.
Being a powerhouse engine, you can implement pretty much whatever you want..........Nvidia knows this.
Nvidia sends you another paycheck to use basically every feature their new hardware has......you were already going to do that.

Their Business model is legit.

business-model-1024x708.png

Top Bottom