• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake - The First 12 Minutes (German)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
brain_stew said:
You do realise that every single piece of media released from Remedy has been doctored in some way, right? Why should I believe that video is representative of the game when nothing else they have released previously has been? I know what a resolution roughly equivalent to 800x600 looks like on my display, I've seen the direct captures on the very display I use to play all my games and I know how the lower rendering resolution is going to affect the image quality of the game.

Doctored game play videos ?

what is this, killzone 2 all over again ? :lol

are you gonna say guys like blimblim are blind fanboys next ?:lol

zoukka said:
Have to agree to disagree. I for one would safrifice anything for 60fps framerate. You seem to value image quality over everything.

Better yes. But as good as the original game on a SD set? No way hose.

I strongly disagree (and running RE4 through Dolphin proves this) but you're arguing for something entirely different here. You're placing a certain nostalgia on games viewed through a CRT TV that doesn't have a fixed resolution. Its an apples - oranges comparison (a comparison that you're making in your head, not in reality) and completely irrelevant, and about a different game to the one you originally mentioned as well. On the same fixed pixel display, a higher resolution will always look objectively better.

chandoog said:
Doctored game play videos ?

what is this, killzone 2 all over again ? :lol

Previous released video media has been rendered in native 720p. Alan Wake is not 720p thus they're misleading not representative of the final product.

for what it's worth, i think the game looks great. as long as the resolution isnt low enough to detract from my experience then im happy. from 95% of the pics and vids i've seen it's an impressive game and Blim's previous comments confirm that.

i can however understand why a pc gamer would be unimpressed with the resolution but sometimes the constant re-interation of how unimpressive it is to them is unnecessary.

mittelos

2real4tv said:
Question on its linearity. Will you be able to free roam where you can explore the town going to different shops and backtrack it needed? Or will it push you through scene after scene.
I'm curious about this as well. I've been pretty much media-free on this one, but I thought I heard recently that it was primarily linear with some free roam areas.

thelastword

Banned
zoukka said:
GTFO already. All my friends play Tekken 6 on the blur mode for the added motion blur. And so do many GAFers. There's a threshold to resolution too. At a certain point the added resolution starts to reveal the smoke & mirrors. For example see: Resident Evil 4 PC.
You play Tekken6? I've platinumned the game, damn we should have met earlier.....anyhoos, I will have you know, that I play Tekken 6 with motion blur off with 2xaa, it looks much better to me and to be frank, I really don't see all the noise Namco made about the motion blur implemented in the game, I much rather the cleaner image over the MB. By the way, I play Law, perhaps we can run some games sometime.

thelastword said:
Why are you putting the developer on a pedestal? I'm the one buying the game....are you saying I have no say in the matter?

I'm not putting them on any pedestal. I simply hold the strange opinion that they might even know what they're doing more than you and me. You can say whatever you want, but they're not making the game for you. What you can do is to not buy the game, if you feel so strongly about this.

Well the onus is on you to show me how a lower rez game looks better than a higher rez one, even when the lowere rez game has a bit more PP effects going on. I've played many games and I'm simply not convinced, perhaps you could show me. Do you have screenshots or a video to clarify, I don't like remaining ignorant, clearly.

You've got to be kidding me... :-/ Go play with them Crysis settings...

Dennis

Banned
Trunchisholm said:
Such a terrible oversimplification...

The amount of moral superiority based on the use of a given platform -the PC- is just too much to take.
Well of course it is a simplification, its like four lines of text :lol

Moral superiority? Oh please. I make no claims of being superior. I see in this thread two groups who don't usually discuss the same games.

adamsapple

brain_stew said:
Previous released video media has been rendered in native 720p

I would really like to see where it's been dissected that the previously released GAME PLAY VIDEOS were doctored, not the cut scenes, the game play.

Aigis said:
Speaking of RE4 wasn't it 360p and 16-bit color (ie, dithered) on the Gamecube?

/offtopic

Yes. I have no nostalgia for the truly atrocious image quality of that game, nor could I fathom how anyone could either.

thelastword

Banned
chandoog said:
If the game looks just as it did before what's all the issue here ? the game play videos are there and they look fantastic sub HD or not, wonder if anyone would have even noticed anything if it wasn't for the pixel counting.
If you had shown me these recent screens much earlier, I would immediately alert you to the subHDness of AW, you don't have to count the pixels to know Doog.

DennisK4 said:
We seem to have a Clash of Cultures in this thread.

On one hand we have a primarily PC game culture with people who are used to discussing technical aspects of games, and with an acceptance of a critical/analytical approach to upcoming games.

On the other hand we have primarily console gamers, to whom any critical comments on an aspect (in this case, resolution) of an upcoming game is seen as simply a fanboy attempt to discredit the opposition in the "console war".

No, we have people who actually play games to enjoy them vs people who play games to count pixels and then use the resulting data as grounds to scream insults at that first group.

Games shouldn't be "fun" damn it! They should purely display a certain number of pixels! That's all that matters!

brain_stew said:
Yes. I have no nostalgia for the truly atrocious image quality of that game, nor could I fathom how anyone could either.

Yes, how could anyone have nostalgia for what is considered one of the best games ever made when IT CLEARLY DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH PIXELS.

Is pixel-counting a form of OCD?

DennisK4 said:
Well of course it is a simplification, its like four lines of text :lol

Moral superiority? Oh please. I make no claims of being superior. I see in this thread two groups who don't usually discuss the same games.

I wasn't talking about you, but your simplification was indeed terrible. You seem to think that technical knowledge is linked to the choice of a given platform, which is, at best, incorrect. It's true that most console users don't know a thing about 3D rendering, but the same can be said about many PC gamers who won't ever play with driver/game settings. There's life outside GAF, you know... What happens here is hardly representative of the general situation in that regard.

Indeed it is. People refusing to play games on the basis of inferior pixel quantity... :lol You can only have admirating for pixel whores. They're depriving themselves of fun for the greater good!

zoukka

brain_stew said:
I strongly disagree (and running RE4 through Dolphin proves this) but you're arguing for something entirely different here. You're placing a certain nostalgia on games viewed through a CRT TV that doesn't have a fixed resolution. Its an apples - oranges comparison (a comparison that you're making in your head, not in reality) and completely irrelevant, and about a different game to the one you originally mentioned as well. On the same fixed pixel display, a higher resolution will always look objectively better.

Nostalgia? Pfff I'm not that stupid. I kept my old SDTV just for Wii and all the older games I owned. And they look considerably better on that that any HDTV I've seen them played on. I also happen to make graphics for videogames in my school and I sure as fuck know why you need to design your assets to match the display it will be played on. You actually think some crude 3D on Nintendo DS would look better on twice the resolution?

Again, game visuals are all about smoke & mirrors. If your game is designed to match low resolution, it won't magically look better on higher res. Unless of course this is a matter of taste to some degree *gasp*. I for one can't imagine that the textures in RE4 would look passable on high resolution displays.

Bonus level: SDTV's will kill whatever tft display you're pimping in terms of image quality if on same resolution.

Find me one complaint about the visuals of RE4 GC version from the days it was released. I dare you.

You play Tekken6? I've platinumned the game, damn we should have met earlier.....anyhoos, I will have you know, that I play Tekken 6 with motion blur off with 2xaa, it looks much better to me and to be frank, I really don't see all the noise Namco made about the motion blur implemented in the game, I much rather the cleaner image over the MB. By the way, I play Law, perhaps we can run some games sometime.

Haven't played in a long time now sorry.

iceatcs

chandoog said:
I would really like to see where it's been dissected that the previously released GAME PLAY VIDEOS were doctored, not the cut scenes, the game play.
alan-wake-20100218084234079.jpg

This picture was same one as below.
2132412610full.jpg

wizword

Banned
iceatcs said:
http://www.madfanboy.com/site/sites/default/files/users/t1o/story/alan-wake-20100218084234079.jpg[/IM]
This picture was release last year.
[IM]http://www.madfanboy.com/site/sites/default/files/users/t1o/story/2132412610full.jpg
Not long ago.
screenshots are always lies. I hate the fact that I have to see the same damn publisher bullshots. They are disgusting. The absurd that remedy doctored videos is what he is saying. There is no way those gameplay videos aren't gameplay.

David H Wong said:
Yes, how could anyone have nostalgia for what is considered one of the best games ever made when IT CLEARLY DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH PIXELS.

You know, if you actually read what I said before responding then your posts may not come off as if they're written by a raging lunatic. Dunno, do what you must, but it might prove useful advice in the future. Most would consider it basic common courtesy.

Risette

A Good Citizen
zoukka said:
Nostalgia? Pfff I'm not that stupid. I kept my old SDTV just for Wii and all the older games I owned. And they look considerably better on that that any HDTV I've seen them played on. I also happen to make graphics for videogames in my school and I sure as fuck know why you need to design your assets to match the display it will be played on. You actually think some crude 3D on Nintendo DS would look better on twice the resolution?

Again, game visuals are all about smoke & mirrors. If your game is designed to match low resolution, it won't magically look better on higher res. Unless of course this is a matter of taste to some degree *gasp*. I for one can't imagine that the textures in RE4 would look passable on high resolution displays.

Bonus level: SDTV's will kill whatever tft display you're pimping in terms of image quality if on same resolution.

Haven't played in a long time now sorry.
http://i26.tinypic.com/288qas3.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/t4zfco.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/2j3h9bl.jpg
That's the Wii version on Dolphin. Looks pretty good tbh.

adamsapple

iceatcs said:
http://www.madfanboy.com/site/sites/default/files/users/t1o/story/alan-wake-20100218084234079.jpg[/]
This picture was same one as below.
[IMG]http://www.madfanboy.com/site/sites/default/files/users/t1o/story/2132412610full.jpg[/][/QUOTE]

That's not stuff from game play videos, that's an obvious super sampled shot that you don't even need to be a self proclaimed video whore to realize ..

again, evidence that game play videos that we've seen in motion are doctored or can your BS.

Karma said:
Blim has seen it running and he says it is one of the best looking console games. He is trustworthy.

Obviously money hats are involved.

On a serious note I hope Brain_stew is wrong and Alan Wake will look amazing.

adamsapple

MWS Natural said:

Safe to say odds are very high you're right on both accounts.

Dennis

Banned
David H Wong said:
No, we have people who actually play games to enjoy them vs people who play games to count pixels and then use the resulting data as grounds to scream insults at that first group.

Games shouldn't be "fun" damn it! They should purely display a certain number of pixels! That's all that matters!
Riiiight, I see now - its all those people counting pixels instead of gaming.

Yes, we all know how too many pixels can ruin the fun.

Dries

Those 720p videos on eurogamer.net (the one on the ferry and the one in Alan's cabin) are not blurry at all. Those screenshots are just shit quality I guess.

MWS Natural said:

I never made the claim that the game rendered at 960x540, multiple people much smarter than me did and they backed it up with pretty irrefutable evidence. Then Remedy went ahead and confirmed it themselves.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
MWS Natural said:

Cant you form a opinion by watching some videos or screens? Or do you think itll somehow magically change come release?

Trying to understand what you are trying to say really. Stuff is already released showing the game.

adamsapple

Dries said:
Those 720p videos on eurogamer.net (the one on the ferry and the one in Alan's cabin) are not blurry at all. Those screenshots are just shit quality I guess.

Precisely. It's as simple as that folks.

SamuraiX-

DennisK4 said:
Riiiight, I see now - its all those people counting pixels instead of gaming.

Yes, we all know how too many pixels can ruin the fun.

Wow. Way to completely disregard what he said and go entirely in the opposite direction with it.

*thumbs up* :D

Do pixel counters and PC gamers actually enjoy gaming anymore?

No seriously.

If it wasn't for GAF, I wouldn't even know if a game was sub HD or not, and I'd think pretty much every game (within reason) looks awesome.

I meam, for fucks sake, the majority of the world has already said it's happy with SD, but now some of you twits are worrying that our HD games aren't 'true HD'? Fuck off.

adamsapple

brain_stew said:
I never made the claim that the game rendered at 960x540, multiple people much smarter than me did and they backed it up with pretty irrefutable evidence. Then Remedy went ahead and confirmed it themselves.

You on the other hand made the stupid claim that all game play footage release thus far has been doctored by Remedy as well, and you've yet to back it up.

So, time to put up or shut up . no ?

2 Minutes Turkish said:

No seriously.

If it wasn't for GAF, I wouldn't even know if a game was sub HD or not, and I'd think pretty much every game (within reason) looks awesome.

I meam, for fucks sake, the majority of the world has already said it's happy with SD, but now some of you twits are worrying that our HD games aren't 'true HD'? Fuck off.

Do you own a HDTV?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
2 Minutes Turkish said:
but now some of you twits are worrying that our HD games aren't 'true HD'? Fuck off.

Wasnt this gens price hike because of making games for "HD" consoles alot more. I can see why people would be pissed with alot of games being Sub-HD.

Back to Alan Wake. Im wondering if the commentary(In the CE) will be anything like Valves commentary modes which kick so much ass.

chandoog said:
You on the other hand made the stupid claim that all game play footage release thus far has been doctored by Remedy as well, and you've yet to back it up.

So, time to put up or shut up . no ?

I said that all the media released thus far is not representative of the final product and its not. All the official videos that I've seen have been native 720p, so in essence, yes, they've been doctored. Why do you think there was not a hint that the game rendered at 540p before this weekend?

All stills have been either bullshots or PC shots as well.

mack999

Banned
The first few pages look like they're from another thread altogether. Full of eagerness and delight until the posters who don't play games for fun came along.

adamsapple

brain_stew said:
I said that all the media released thus far is not representative of the final product and its not. All the official videos that I've seen have been native 720p, so in essence, yes, they've been doctored. Why do you think there was not a hint that the game rendered at 540p before this weekend?

All stills have been either bullshots or PC shots as well.

How's about you whip out some of that irrefutable evidence that suggests that the GAME PLAY VIDEOS (note, game play videos, not cut scenes which we already know are pre rendered at 720p) are doctored to native 720p as well.

Cause you sure as hell seem confident in what you're saying, and I would love some evidence of it.

Use videos from here for reference : http://www.eurogamer.net/game/alan-wake-xbox360/videos

zoukka

Metalic Sand said:
Wasnt this gens price hike because of making games for "HD" consoles alot more. I can see why people would be pissed with alot of games being Sub-HD.

99% of gamers wouldn't know the difference. Like a customer doesn't know he's getting assraped by edge-lid HD TV's that are marketed simply as LED TV's. Brain_Stew is a jerk just like I am with comic books. I go and spoil my friends enjoyement by commenting on the inferior quality of the ink, paper and layout of some cheapter releases of the same fucking b&w comic. We all have our shitty perks.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
mack said:
The first few pages look like they're from another thread altogether. Full of eagerness and delight until the posters who don't play games for fun came along.
You're mistaken. Most of the back and forth is purely tech talk. The game will be fine.

chandoog said:
How's about you whip out some of that irrefutable evidence that suggests that the GAME PLAY VIDEOS (not, game play videos, not cut scenes which we already know are pre rendered at 720p) are doctored to native 720p as well.

Cause you sure as hell seem confident in what you're saying, and I would love some evidence of it.

Use videos from here for reference : http://www.eurogamer.net/game/alan-wake-xbox360/videos
The problem is the scaler outputs to 720 from the source (the game) which is at a lower resolution than 720p.

mack said:

I wish this stupid meme was banned by now. The personal attacks are getting tiresome now. I'd have fucked off a long time ago if it wasn't for endless pages of baseless claims, personal attacks and utter defiance of cast iron evidence. But hey, keep showing up your ignorance and keep tugging the party line.

brain_stew said:
Do you own a HDTV?

Yep. And I notice the little thigns too. Like how my games look better on my 1366 x 768 Bravia compared to my 1080p 800A Panasonic Plasma. And I'm aware of why that is too.

But in the end, these console games all look HD for all intents and purposes.

I mean, play Virtua Tennis 3 a native 1080p game, and then play Gears of War 2, and any J6P will tell you that Gears 'looks better' or 'moar HD' despite it not being the case.

So why care so much?

Metalic Sand said:

Back to Alan Wake. Im wondering if the commentary(In the CE) will be anything like Valves commentary modes which kick so much ass.

But to most people the game still LOOKS HD. That's the thing here. The vast majority would not notice if the game was sub-HD or not. All most of us would notice are jaggies, and maybe some screen tearing if it's noticeable enough like in RE5.

Dennis

Banned
mack said:
Ah, good. Evidence for my Clash of Cultures theory.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Then you have invested your own money for the soul purpose of viewing content produced in a higher resolution. You care enough about resolution to lay down cold hard cash to improve this single area of image quality (while almost certainly giving up quality in other areas in the process) and then claim that resolution doesn't make any difference. You're a hypocrite. I don't debate with hypocrites.

Vamphuntr

So guys after you tore apart the dream sequence for being cheesy now you complain about the native resolution of the game :lol . What is the ETA before GAF claims it's the ugliest and worst game ever based on five screenshots and a 12 minutes demo?

adamsapple

Vamphuntr said:
So guys after you tore apart the dream sequence for being cheesy now you complain about the native resolution of the game :lol . What is the ETA before GAF claims it's the ugliest and worst game ever based on five screenshots and a 12 minutes demo?

you mean the DOCTORED GAME PLAY FOOTAGE ? :lol

Dabanton

brain_stew said:
Then you have invested your own money for the soul purpose of viewing content produced in a higher resolution. You care enough about resolution to lay down cold hard cash to improve this single area of image quality (while almost certainly giving up quality in other areas in the process) and then claim that resolution doesn't make any difference. You're a hypocrite. I don't debate with hypocrites.

That's a nice get out clause. :lol

The problem in this thread now is people who all day have been happy to discuss technical matters are now actually being debated and don't like it.

thelastword

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:

No seriously.

WOW, what a view, I guess all games would receive a 10/10 for graphics from you, when one of the highlights of this generation was that games would be in HD (meaning 720P mininmum).

All of a sudden, people can't seem to differentiate between HD and NON_HD, all games looks the same....quite reminiscent of folks who claimed that a dvd upscaled to 1080p looked just as good as 1080p native content. It's just bollocks.

At this point nobody is touching on aspects of gameplay, because frankly no one has played the game, yet some folks are already crowning it GOTY in writ. The tech is what we can discuss now and it has alot to do with how believable an atmosphere the dev can create with the gameplay they want to push forward.

Top Bottom