• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alanah Pearce: XBOX + SAMSUNG APP: I played it early! [impressions & interview]

Ozriel

M$FT
Try having the game crash on you 45 times. Try getting stuck in BROKEN missions over a dozen times that cause you to have to reload hours-old saves just to revert to a point before the game broke. Try losing all your gear. Those things make the game broken.
Add in the hundreds of bugs, and I have no problem calling this a broken game. Buggy does not suffice. Skyrim was buggy, not broken. Cyberpunk was BROKEN

Well, issues like this can vary from PC to PC. None of the reviewers had issues of this nature.
Might well be an isolated case for you.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Remember when people would complain about buying games online?

robert-downey-jr-tony-stark.gif
The pandemic/gamepass accelerated that timeline by 5 years. Impressive really

Both xCould and PSlater blow in my area, I know of 4 datacenters (with no obvious MS/PS presence and no Azure direct route, etc) that are close to me, the rest, are either in Datacenter Valley or GA, and, until MS and Sony can start embedding their equipment in ISPs (Like Netflix, Akamai, etc) it's gonna be a no from me dawg.

Roxkis_ii

How is she even ‘divisive’?

Then try upgrading your glasses. Claiming steaming looks 100 times worse is absolutely not normal for that speed.

You’ll get the odd bit of artifacting, but image quality should be close to native.

There are way more people in the world than the gamers you personally know.

Some can’t afford consoles. Some dont want to buy an Xbox. Some can’t afford to hook up consoles to every TV in the house. Most can’t travel with their consoles.

This should basically give you a console experience on your TV.

Not sure why you’re struggling to understand the use cases for this.
If you can't afford any gaming hardware, would you really be in a position to afford gamepass, a controller, a fast enough internet connection and a smart TV?

Ozriel

M$FT
If you can't afford any gaming hardware, would you really be in a position to afford gamepass, a controller, a fast enough internet connection and a smart TV?

For most people, the only incremental purchase for this would be the controller (if they don’t have any already) and Gamepass sub.

How many homes don’t have TVs? Most already have internet connections, and even 20Mbps is enough for Stadia and XCloud.

For example, You’ve been here long enough to hear about how pricey consoles are in Brazil. Theoretically, a household with a smart TV there can opt for cloud streaming vs putting down a hefty chunk of change for an Xbox.

These apps are on flagship Samsung TVs at the moment, but wider rollout will happen. It’ll be a staple on affordable TVs eventually.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
For most people, the only incremental purchase for this would be the controller (if they don’t have any already) and Gamepass sub.

How many homes don’t have TVs? Most already have internet connections, and even 20Mbps is enough for Stadia and XCloud.

For example, You’ve been here long enough to hear about how pricey consoles are in Brazil. Theoretically, a household with a smart TV there can opt for cloud streaming vs putting down a hefty chunk of change for an Xbox.

These apps are on flagship Samsung TVs at the moment, but wider rollout will happen. It’ll be a staple on affordable TVs eventually.
It was 50 mbps in your previous post. Why stop there. Why not claim 5? How do you know it will be on other TVs? This could very well be a Samsung only thing.

Ozriel

M$FT
It was 50 mbps in your previous post. Why stop there. Why not claim 5?

I assumed 50mbps as a perfect entry point. Then i checked out pages for Stadia and xCloud and both claim 10mbps minimum requirement. Nobody likes being at the minimum so I went with 20.
Can’t claim 5 since it’s below minimum requirements. Do I take it that 20 Mbps connection speeds are hyper expensive where you live?

Apologies for ruining your ‘Gotcha’ moment.

How do you know it will be on other TVs? This could very well be a Samsung only thing.

Nobody makes a service designed to cater for a mass market and limits it to one manufacturer’s high end models.

Not to mention the fact that Stadia and GeForce Now are available on LG, Samsung and AndroidTV TVs.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I assumed 50mbps as a perfect entry point. Then i checked out pages for Stadia and xCloud and both claim 10mbps minimum requirement. Nobody likes being at the minimum so I went with 20.
Can’t claim 5 since it’s below minimum requirements. Do I take it that 20 Mbps connection speeds are hyper expensive where you live?

Apologies for ruining your ‘Gotcha’ moment.

Nobody makes a service designed to cater for a mass market and limits it to one manufacturer’s high end models.

Not to mention the fact that Stadia and GeForce Now are available on LG, Samsung and AndroidTV TVs.
You've ruined nothing. Don't worry. You've convinced absolutely no one that streaming is viable or that it has any real use cases.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Haven’t visited the third world I’m guessing?

Everyone has fast internet, everyone has a smart tv it’s impossible not to at this point.

$50 controller compared to a $800 console?

jorgejjvr

Remember when people would complain about buying games online?

robert-downey-jr-tony-stark.gif
I see nothing wrong with options

Physical, digital, subscriptions, and streaming are just different forms of the same thing

The old school console + physical wont go away, even today you can buy vynil, CDs, 4k blu rays etc

at the end of the day convenience will win out, I myself have been digital only for years now, and streaming is a nice side option for me (playing my games at work for example), but yeah, I dont see how this is bad, gamers have never had more options to play games. And we were always going to get here, we are the minority here on gaf, most people see the value of being able to game anywhere at a minimal cost; and they are not hardcore enough to care too much about latency

Edit: true story, I suggested a series S to one of my buddies, he got it. We have been playing, and we casually chatted about Cloud gaming, the new Samsung tv add etc, and he was like "yo, why didnt you tell me I could just game in my phone instead of buying a console" Lolll

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
And that's your experience. Can you stop pretending that everyone else had the same experience? I did not play on last gen hardware, and I had worse bugs than I did on New Vegas, and again, there's video evidence backing me up.
Can you stop pretending that everyone else had the same experience?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Why is it that the only ones pushing for streaming are all Xbox fanboys?
I like Xbox, and fucking hate streaming and game rentals via Gamepass..

But then again I hated, and still do to some degree, Steam. It utterly fucked the physical pc game market

Still pisses me off to this day.

Topher

Gold Member
I like Xbox, and fucking hate streaming and game rentals via Gamepass..

But then again I hated, and still do to some degree, Steam. It utterly fucked the physical pc game market

Still pisses me off to this day.

I think the PC physical game market was going to die regardless. It was just too easy to make copies of disks and give them to friends. Not that I ever did that.

sorry ups GIF by EnBW

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I think the PC physical game market was going to die regardless. It was just too easy to make copies of disks and give them to friends. Not that I ever did that.

sorry ups GIF by EnBW
Christ, you just reminded me how much of a pain in the arse it was to find a good .exe in some places and not some crapply coded virus or spamware

..Or whatever the hell that means. I read it on the internet somewhere, in 2004.

On a side note, i've still got piles of old pc games clogging the loft :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Can you think of any truly broken games that multiple reviewers pretended had no issue?
Cyberpunk 2077 is a prime example, and it seems to be the norm for the things (happened with some assassin's Creed games too.... Maybe to a lesser extent).

I mean this is kind of a thing to avoid pre-order because of this, so I'm not sure what world you live in.

Ozriel

M$FT
Cyberpunk 2077 is a prime example, and it seems to be the norm for the things (happened with some assassin's Creed games too.... Maybe to a lesser extent).

I mean this is kind of a thing to avoid pre-order because of this, so I'm not sure what world you live in.

At least try to read the thread. We’ve been discussing CP2077 extensively. The PC release wasn’t broken for most, and largely worked well enough for it to get a really high MC score.

The extremely buggy last gen console releases sit around 57% Metacritic. Reviewers did NOT ignore bugs.

Assassins Creed Unity released with a lot of visual bugs, but not ‘broken’. And reviewers duly penalized it with a 70% MC score despite a very well realized Parisian setting.

Focus on answering the question properly

Three

Can you think of any truly broken games that multiple reviewers pretended had no issue?
There was a switch game that you couldn't finish. None of the reviews caught it and all they had to do was play the game to notice.

Last edited:

reksveks

There was a switch game that you couldn't finish. None of the reviews caught it and all they had to do was complete the game to notice.
That was a specific bug that didn't impact all playthroughs as far as I recall. Also not sure if the review build was the same build as the one with the bug.

Ozriel

M$FT
There was a switch game that you couldn't finish. None of the reviews caught it and all they had to do was play the game to notice.

The developers told Kotaku that the bug affected only a small number of players.

There’s also only 18 reviews on Metacritic. A Switch port of a very old game…not many media houses even designed to review it at all.

Top Bottom