• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alec Baldwin Kills Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins With Real Gun

Airbus Jr

Banned
YES! Why are you so resistant to the idea that an actor should NEVER aim a weapon at a person unless there are very specific safety procedures in place? What acting gigs have you had where you were handed a weapon and then allowed to do whatever you wanted with it because the "last line of defense" was the AD and not you? There is some sort of weird mental block going on here, probably a total lack of any weapon handling experience outside of a vidja game.

The single action revolver, for example, MUST have the hammer manually cocked in order for the trigger to be able to release it and fire a round. That is why it is called a SINGLE action, the trigger just does one thing, release the hammer. In a modern DOUBLE action revolver the trigger does TWO things, cock the hammer and release it. So Alec had to physically cock the revolver, and then physically depress the trigger to make it go bang (possibly it got hung up in part of his costume or something) so I strongly suspect he intentionally pressed the trigger but did NOT expect it to go bang. But was he following the sets safety rules about when and where you can point a potential live firing weapon before pulling a trigger? I strongly suspect he did not since there were people down range of his dry fire rehearsal.

I know this is a lot for you to process, take some time and reflect on it.
Experts : " prop armor should be responsible for checking and ensuring that everything is safe before the scene "

Jason10mm : " its alec baldwin fault ! Argghhh...arghhhh...hes the one who hold the gun last ! I dont care....hes a murderer...despite he dont have the intention to kill !! Im gona..blame it on him...instead of the guy in charge for the weapon...arrgghhhh...arrrghhh !!"

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
YES! Why are you so resistant to the idea that an actor should NEVER aim a weapon at a person unless there are very specific safety procedures in place? What acting gigs have you had where you were handed a weapon and then allowed to do whatever you wanted with it because the "last line of defense" was the AD and not you? There is some sort of weird mental block going on here, probably a total lack of any weapon handling experience outside of a vidja game.

The single action revolver, for example, MUST have the hammer manually cocked in order for the trigger to be able to release it and fire a round. That is why it is called a SINGLE action, the trigger just does one thing, release the hammer. In a modern DOUBLE action revolver the trigger does TWO things, cock the hammer and release it. So Alec had to physically cock the revolver, and then physically depress the trigger to make it go bang (possibly it got hung up in part of his costume or something) so I strongly suspect he intentionally pressed the trigger but did NOT expect it to go bang. But was he following the sets safety rules about when and where you can point a potential live firing weapon before pulling a trigger? I strongly suspect he did not since there were people down range of his dry fire rehearsal.

I know this is a lot for you to process, take some time and reflect on it.
Still can’t deal with the fact that you’re stupidly wrong, I see. I get it, you’re desperate to dunk on Baldwin, but sadly you can’t. You’ll be ok.

Jaysen

Banned
Also from TMZ -

“There's also this ... one source who was on set and familiar with the goings-on of the crew tells us that when cops showed up, they found live ammo and blanks were being stored in the same area -- another possible explanation for how an actual bullet slipped got in the gun.”

The armorer and prop master shouldnt get another job. The AD either.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Still can’t deal with the fact that you’re stupidly wrong, I see. I get it, you’re desperate to dunk on Baldwin, but sadly you can’t. You’ll be ok.
You are dangerous, I sincerely hope you are the lowest rung employee possible and have no safety responsibility whatso ever and that no one else is relying on you to ensure their safety.

You think you are Maverick and you can be reckless, I hope there is no goose out there for you to kill.

NEu1QTJ.png

jason10mm

Gold Member
Experts : " prop armor should be responsible for checking and ensuring that everything is safe before the scene "

Jason10mm : " its alec baldwin fault ! Argghhh...arghhhh...hes the one who hold the gun last ! I dont care....hes a murderer...despite he dont have the intention to kill !! Im gona..blame it on him...instead of the guy in charge for the weapon...arrgghhhh...arrrghhh !!"
I strongly suspect that the root cause analysis that comes from this will mandate that actors DO NOT do whatever Alec was doing when this happened. Regardless of assigned blame, I think he shares some culpability and responsibility. I think we can all agree, without being childish, that safety is a collective responsibility and multiple safety nets are better than a single point of failure.

Some of you guys are so far out of their depth on this, it's ludicrous. Some of us are very experienced with safety practices and firearms, you should probably close your yap hole and open those listening holes a bit, God gave yah 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason :p

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I strongly suspect that the root cause analysis that comes from this will mandate that actors DO NOT do whatever Alec was doing when this happened. Regardless of assigned blame, I think he shares some culpability and responsibility. I think we can all agree, without being childish, that safety is a collective responsibility and multiple safety nets are better than a single point of failure.

Some of you guys are so far out of their depth on this, it's ludicrous. Some of us are very experienced with safety practices and firearms, you should probably close your yap hole and open those listening holes a bit, God gave yah 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason :p
I think everyone agrees that responsible gun safety was thrown out the window here. There is no real debate about that.

The part where everyone disagrees is who bears the majority of the blame and who (if any) bears any criminal responsibility.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think everyone agrees that responsible gun safety was thrown out the window here. There is no real debate about that.

The part where everyone disagrees is who bears the majority of the blame and who (if any) bears any criminal responsibility.
Or sycophants who think the man holding the gun doesn’t bear ANY responsibility at all.

Reminded of this,

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Mr. Baldwell
🔱:messenger_fire: Telogen Effluvium, Mr. Baldwell! For starters...

So many questions around the knowledge of the presence and handling of the live ammo. Sounds a lot like slippage from people being too casual. That could put more responsibility for the incident on the higher ups for not immediately removing those people and the threat they added to the set, if that should have happened. Imagine there's different levels of responsibility for an actor vs an on site co-producer.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

The fact that real bullets were stored directly alongside the blanks takes it to another level of irresponsible for the prop master/armorer.

Do we know who the person in charge of all that was yet? Were they qualified?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The studio expressed doubts they were qualified? Then why did they hire them?

That makes no sense.
The person herself expressed doubts. She is Thell Reed’s (famous Hollywood armorer) daughter.

And there’s now this,

Last edited:

Ionian

The fact that real bullets were stored directly alongside the blanks takes it to another level of irresponsible for the prop master/armorer.

Do we know who the person in charge of all that was yet? Were they qualified?

Was posted a few times in the thread, daughter of one, young one too in her early twenties. Posted on Twitter she wasn't sure before the gig.

Honestly has been repeatedly posted, dunno how you missed it.

EDIT: Beaten by DeepEnigma.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
You are dangerous, I sincerely hope you are the lowest rung employee possible and have no safety responsibility whatso ever and that no one else is relying on you to ensure their safety.

You think you are Maverick and you can be reckless, I hope there is no goose out there for you to kill.

NEu1QTJ.png
I’m sorry Baldwins impressions upset you so much. Unfortunately for you and all the other geniuses who think the last line of defense is the…lol…actors, it isn’t.

Nobody_Important

The person herself expressed doubts. She is Thell Reed’s (famous Hollywood armorer) daughter.

And there’s now this,
What in actual....fuck???? So the person themselves says "Not sure if I am ready for this..." and their reaction was to hire her????

I don't even know what to say. That is advanced stupidity.

jason10mm

Gold Member

I don't think anyone here things ONLY Alec is responsible, just that he might bear some responsibility, both as an actor and as producer, particularly given his decades of experience.

Some folks here are trying to sell some narrative that there is a pitchfork carrying mod crying for Alex to swing from a tree but I don't really think that is the case. But it is very obvious who has gun experience and who doesn't.

Thaedolus

I’m sorry Baldwins impressions upset you so much. Unfortunately for you and all the other geniuses who think the last line of defense is the…lol…actors, it isn’t.

This is such a fucking stupid dodge. I myself was skeptical of this being about Baldwin’s politics at first, but when more info about set safety protocols came to light, it became apparent that he had a job to do/responsibility, and he apparently didn’t do it. That doesn’t mean ten other people didn’t do their jobs too, and that doesn’t mean he deserves the majority of the blame. But the people opining that because other people fucked up therefore Baldwin did nothing wrong are making garbage arguments.

You could get randomly hit by a drunk cement truck driver with a long history of safety accidents and that isn’t your fault, but if you don’t buckle your kids in and they die because they’re ejected from the vehicle…don’t you bear some responsibility for that? Even if they would’ve been fine if that driver wasn’t behind the wheel?

Just imagine trying to defend a guy not strapping his kids in because “how could he have known a drunk driver was on the road?!”

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
What in actual....fuck???? So the person themselves says "Not sure if I am ready for this..." and their reaction was to hire her????

I don't even know what to say. That is advanced stupidity.
I think that was a somewhat rhetorical statement about her going off on her own to do her first film which went OK.

But now she is gonna be under the microscope for sure. This whole thing is just so bizarre.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

And there’s now this,

Looks like someone who wanted to be Instagram famous.

OIF.mA9HuHOzHlJUXLTdGhRU5w

Dr Bass

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such an incredible example of willful ignorance online in my life. You both have zero arguments and are falling back on “haha you are wrong and dumb!”

If you took ten minutes, yes just ten minutes, to study entry level, bare bones, gun safety requirements for A-N-Y-O-N-E who handles a gun you would realize how incredibly ignorant you both sound. This isn’t even an argument. You are objectively and provably wrong. The idea that people handling an object built to kill people should have no responsibility when told “here is a gun aim it and pull the trigger” is already laughably absurd at face value.

Let me ask you a few questions and I’ll make some actually good analogies to further demonstrate.

You’re on the set of a show. Someone hands you a real gun says “it’s fine I checked.” Your job in the scene is then to aim it at someone’s head and pull the trigger. Point blank range. But you are on a tv show where these scenes happen everyday so you’re doing this every day! What do you do in this situation?

Another analogy. You are driving down the highway at 70 mph. You have an expert driver in the passenger seat. You ask him is there anyone in my blind spot on the right hand side? He says no, you try to merge but … plow into someone in your blind spot, killing them. The police show up and they ask did you check your lanes when merging? You say “no but my expert passenger said it was open.” As the person behind the wheel, even though you were told it was ok to go, who ends up ultimately responsible?

You might not think that analogy holds water but again … read the tiniest amount of information on gun safety. There is a reason I know this stuff and yet DONT have a gun. I’ve looked into it and the rigor around storage, and the responsibility of handling them, absolutely made me question the trade off of being able to defend myself in the unlikely event I needed one. Guns are not a joke and in order to hold one you need to know gun safety. Full stop!

The idea that someone could hand me an object literally designed to kill people and that I wouldn’t take the couple seconds to inspect it before aiming it at someone and pulling the trigger AND that I wouldn’t be responsible for their death in some way if it happened is quite possibly the dumbest thing I’ve read online. Ever. You both need to educate yourself and get a grip. Just not on a gun though in your current state.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don’t think I’ve ever seen such an incredible example of willful ignorance online in my life. You both have zero arguments and are falling back on “haha you are wrong and dumb!”

If you took ten minutes, yes just ten minutes, to study entry level, bare bones, gun safety requirements for A-N-Y-O-N-E who handles a gun you would realize how incredibly ignorant you both sound. This isn’t even an argument. You are objectively and provably wrong. The idea that people handling an object built to kill people should have no responsibility when told “here is a gun aim it and pull the trigger” is already laughably absurd at face value.

Let me ask you a few questions and I’ll make some actually good analogies to further demonstrate.

You’re on the set of a show. Someone hands you a real gun says “it’s fine I checked.” Your job in the scene is then to aim it at someone’s head and pull the trigger. Point blank range. But you are on a tv show where these scenes happen everyday so you’re doing this every day! What do you do in this situation?

Another analogy. You are driving down the highway at 70 mph. You have an expert driver in the passenger seat. You ask him is there anyone in my blind spot on the right hand side? He says no, you try to merge but … plow into someone in your blind spot, killing them. The police show up and they ask did you check your lanes when merging? You say “no but my expert passenger said it was open.” As the person behind the wheel, even though you were told it was ok to go, who ends up ultimately responsible?

You might not think that analogy holds water but again … read the tiniest amount of information on gun safety. There is a reason I know this stuff and yet DONT have a gun. I’ve looked into it and the rigor around storage, and the responsibility of handling them, absolutely made me question the trade off of being able to defend myself in the unlikely event I needed one. Guns are not a joke and in order to hold one you need to know gun safety. Full stop!

The idea that someone could hand me an object literally designed to kill people and that I wouldn’t take the couple seconds to inspect it before aiming it at someone and pulling the trigger AND that I wouldn’t be responsible for their death in some way if it happened is quite possibly the dumbest thing I’ve read online. Ever. You both need to educate yourself and get a grip. Just not on a gun though in your current state.
Told You So Mic Drop GIF by FullMag

Azurro

Banned

I am in awe of your irrationality. How many pages of you disengenously repeating the same thing? I'm sure you'd also let pedophilia, rapes and such slide as long as it's an actor you like.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I am in awe of your irrationality. How many pages of you disengenously repeating the same thing? I'm sure you'd also let pedophilia, rapes and such slide as long as it's an actor you like.

Armie Hammer is a great actor...who cares if he likes to eat people?

dr_octagon

Banned
Actors have a condition of being special and cannot be held responsible because pheasants like myself and you don't understand.

Thankfully we have Billiam and Stephons with accounts on here to dutifully defend the honor of esteemed actor.

Everyone who does not agree is clearly hating on Mr Balwell and criticism is weaponised poltical statement.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
People who manipulates guns should know the safety basics and never assume.
People who don’t manipulate them regularly, are completely ignorant of how they work and are strict anti gun should also be knowledgeable and informed of the 4 rules of firearms safety.

Especially if they can not tell if the firearm is real, loaded or safety checked.

TheFarter

Banned
Seems people who hate the hell out of Trump are on the defense for the Baldwin. They could both shoot someone and go up in the polls!

Disregard how you feel about Alec Baldwin. Imagine if you or I were given a gun by a friend or colleague to show it to us, claimed it was unloaded, and then we killed somebody because we thought it would be cute to point the firearm at them, and pull the trigger. Would it be unreasonable to think there might be some criminal liability, even though you did not intend to shoot anybody?

This was not an accident that occurred during filming a scene, this was Baldwin playing with a gun like a toy.

You're supposed to treat firearms as though they were loaded, even if you have every reason to believe that they aren't. I'm not sure if his actions were criminal, but I am 100% certain that someone is dead because Alec is a blithering retard.

At worst, Alec is a criminal who should serve time. At best, he's just really fucking stupid.

highrider

Banned
Um. No.

Movies have multiple producers, and its very often the case that the talent is listed as producer for the kudos, rather than them doing much actual work.

Here's the producer credits for the movie the accident happened on:

5QQEazT.jpg

Absolutely possible that Baldwin's involvement as an actual producer was minimal. In fact, more than possible, it's very probable.

EDIT: reading a lot of the information about this incident indicates a very unsafe working environment on a low budget movie where everyone was rushing to get the film made as cheaply and as quickly as possible. A lot of those involved have previous incidents where they have not created and maintained a safe set. If nothing else, as the star of the film, Baldwin could have exerted pressure on the production to ensure better safety arrangements. There had already been accident misfires on set. This really should not have happened, and while I don't blame Baldwin for the actual death, I do think he has his share of culpability in terms of the way the film was being made.

A lot of you are keen to haul Baldwin over the coals because of the single incident where he was handed a live gun that he was told was cold (largely due to your political differences with him, I suspect), but that's not where he's actually at fault. As the main talent on the movie, he had a duty of responsibility to his crew when it was clear things were amiss before the accident. That's where he's at true fault here.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme.../alec-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-walked-off-set

So you’re disputing me with more evidence of incompetence on a production level.

Nobody_Important

I never once denied that Baldwin was a fucking idiot here. He did not practice basic firearms safety here. Even I know that. The argument for me personally has always been whether or not he bore criminal liability and about the level of responsibility he bore versus the Propmaster/Armorer.

Baldwin is a fucking moron for the way he handled that gun. I will not deny that in the slightest. I never did. Where we differ is that I believe the majority of the blame does not lie with him and that I do not believe he bears criminal liability. That is where this whole ass thread divides as far as I can tell. Some being more honest in their intentions than others I think.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I never once denied that Baldwin was a fucking idiot here. He did not practice basic firearms safety here. Even I know that. The argument for me personally has always been whether or not he bore criminal liability and about the level of responsibility he bore versus the Propmaster/Armorer.

Baldwin is a fucking moron for the way he handled that gun. I will not deny that in the slightest. I never did. Where we differ is that I believe the majority of the blame does not lie with him and that I do not believe he bears criminal liability. That is where this whole ass thread divides as far as I can tell. Some being more honest in their intentions than others I think.
So what you’re saying is, you agreed that he did not practice proper firearm safety, especially as a veteran, especially being a producer on the Indie film set that had serious issues within the same week in regards to firearm safety which caused union workers to walk out hours prior, the nepotism hire of an inexperienced person had a firearm issue that halted production of a Nicholas Cage movie in the same location prior to this assignment, blindly trusted this person bypassing standard firearm safety practice… pointed the gun at another living being, pulled the trigger, killed a woman… but the killer who is a moron that was a boss on set and did not practice proper firearm safety, pointed and pulled the trigger … is least to blame.

Interesting perspective. Honest intentions and all.

Do I see criminal charges? No. Different standards are held to different classes of people. Versus if this happened by plebs on a range or college kids filming a class project. Hollywood has a history of negligent deaths and nothing happening to specific classes.

Last edited:

///PATRIOT

Banned
You know, not really cup of tea at all but it's been a long time since I've had any action. I probably would.
Ok but don't ask her to hand you a gun.

I don't remember anyone talking about criminal responsibility or cussing Baldwin or wishing him the worst. Just responsibility.

Nobody_Important

So what you’re saying is, you agreed that he did not practice proper firearm safety, especially as a veteran, especially being a producer on the Indie film set that had serious issues within the same week in regards to firearm safety which caused union workers to walk out hours prior, the nepotism hire of an inexperienced person had a firearm issue that halted production of a Nicholas Cage movie in the same location prior to this assignment, blindly trusted this person bypassing standard firearm safety practice… pointed the gun at another living being, pulled the trigger, killed a woman… but the killer who is a moron that was a boss on set and did not practice proper firearm safety, pointed and pulled the trigger … is least to blame.

Interesting perspective. Honest intentions and all.

Do I see criminal charges? No. Different standards are held to different classes of people. Versus if this happened by plebs on a range or college kids filming a class project. Hollywood has a history of negligent deaths and nothing happening to specific classes.
Yes yes. The only reason he walks away from this is because he is rich and famous.

Way to hedge your bets. Good god.

Jaysen

Banned

The actors job is to not aim guns deemed hot at other crew members. Their job, as outlined by actual experts above, is not to be the one checking the actual weapons. That would be insane. In this instance the armorer failed, the prop master failed, but more importantly the AD failed to do the most important job he had.

Top Bottom