• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alec Baldwin Kills Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins With Real Gun

jason10mm

Gold Member
How do you gain the skill set to be a set armorer? I don't think this is a collegiate course of study (if it is, I know what I'm doing when I soft retire!!) so you kinda have to learn on the job like a guild. Thus her familial connection is normal.

Question is... did they NOT replace her earlier because she was a woman? What is the tolerance for failure?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How do you gain the skill set to be a set armorer? I don't think this is a collegiate course of study (if it is, I know what I'm doing when I soft retire!!) so you kinda have to learn on the job like a guild. Thus her familial connection is normal.

Question is... did they NOT replace her earlier because she was a woman? What is the tolerance for failure?
You are correct, it is an apprenticeship position. However, those who take their craft seriously, are usually proficient in firearm safety and the like taking at least the very basic certification courses through the NRA and other advanced avenues if you want to be taken seriously.

Are there some that "fake it to make it"? Well sure, such is life. That industry is rife with that as well.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How do you gain the skill set to be a set armorer?
You need your dad to be a set armorer.

She likely got hired because of nepotism. Her dad probably vouched for her.

She didnt get replaced because of bad management. The producers were on a budget and were taking shortcuts everywhere. Replacing her wouldve probably cost them more money since experienced armorers likely cost more than a 24 year old newbie.

GloveSlap

This is shaping up to be so much more negligent than the Brandon Lee incident if the new details are true.

Like how do you have multiple misfires on set up to this point, and not only are people not getting fired, but those same people are still not being careful?

There definitely needs to be charges over this, to varying degrees.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is shaping up to be so much more negligent than the Brandon Lee incident if the new details are true.

Like how do you have multiple misfires on set up to this point, and not only are people not getting fired, but those same people are still not being careful?

Production should have been halted and safety meetings held after the the misfires. Which was not done, and hence the union workers walked off the set over safety concerns.

GloveSlap

Production should have been halted and safety meetings held after the the misfires. Which was not done, and hence the union workers walked off the set over safety concerns.
The walk off makes it even more baffling. A big part of your crew leaves because you are playing around, and you are STILL playing around.

Motive tends to be a big part of criminal proceedings, and with that many previous red flags....it becomes completely deliberate negligence/recklessness.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

I’m not sure the rules need to change when the problem is people just disregarding them. I’m a bit iffy on the whole “rewrite all the rules!” strategy when, you know, murder/manslaughter/negligence are already illegal. The EU lost their goddamn minds over regulations because some people were using industrial grade silicone in breast implants instead of medical grade, and now getting any kind of medical device on the market there is a fucking nightmare. That’s fine for people like me because I’ll always have a job, but it’s not like under the old regulations what those people were doing was ok. They just didn’t care, and people died

GloveSlap

I’m not sure the rules need to change when the problem is people just disregarding them. I’m a bit iffy on the whole “rewrite all the rules!” strategy when, you know, murder/manslaughter/negligence are already illegal. The EU lost their goddamn minds over regulations because some people were using industrial grade silicone in breast implants instead of medical grade, and now getting any kind of medical device on the market there is a fucking nightmare. That’s fine for people like me because I’ll always have a job, but it’s not like under the old regulations what those people were doing was ok. They just didn’t care, and people died
Not sure if you read changes where i wrote charges. I agree with you though. I appreciate a good blank or squib, and they will no doubt become even more rare because of these absolute fools.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Not sure if you read changes where i wrote charges. I agree with you though. I appreciate a good blank or squib, and they will no doubt become even more rare because of these absolute fools.
You’re right, I read changes not charges, my bad.

plushyp

My kids learnt the same lesson with their Nerf Guns, don't even point that fucking thing at my head loaded or unloaded, I got shot just beside the eye from near point blank and rounded up every Nerf and fucked the load into the bin, you only get 1 shot in my house to fuck up like that
That's honestly the best way to go about it. Teaches the kids that actions have consequences.

Jaysen

Banned

Takeaways from that -

Professional prop master “The last line of defense is the AD.”

As one of the producers of the film, Alec is open to civil liability, which is odd since a day prior to the accident he made a video encouraging workers on his own movie to walk off if they feel unsafe. So he might just have been a producer in title alone.

Gp1

Ok, so... where was armorer if the assistant producer was handling and calling the guns?

Hollywood doesn't have a standardized security protocol in this cases? Even after the fair share of mishaps?

Looks like Alec was not the one goofing about...

This story doesn't mention the girl, but who the fuck puts a 24 year old in charge of anything?

The pics of her posing with guns does not instill professional confidence either.

And after the incident with the child she should never have been allowed to work again. But all the more reason to check anything she handled.

A chain of irresponsibility it seems.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
Ok, so... where was armorer if the assistant producer was handling and calling the guns?

Hollywood doesn't have a standardized security protocol in this cases? Even after the fair share of mishaps?
According to the prop master in the video, it’s not unusual for the AD to be the last line of defense instead of the armorer, but the thing is the armorer, the props master and the AD have to all do a series of safety checks on all weapons used by actors before the weapon is handed to the actor. In this instance they all failed to do their job for some reason. Sounds like the set was a contentious one to begin with.

Reactions: Gp1

bender

What time is it?
Practicing/rehearsal always made the most sense in my head considering who the victims were. I just don't understand why you wouldn't practice with a rubber gun for a rehersal.

Gp1

Practicing/rehearsal always made the most sense in my head considering who the victims were. I just don't understand why you wouldn't practice with a rubber gun for a rehersal.

They were probably rehearsing something related to light/camera where the muzzle flash would be relevant. Which could explain the cinematographer and the director directly behind the camera...

Jaysen

Banned
They were probably rehearsing something related to light/camera where the muzzle flash would be relevant. Which could explain the cinematographer and the director directly behind the camera...
They weren’t. The AD told everyone the gun was cold. They were simply rehearsing Alec doing a holster draw and getting the angles correct. No one expected the gun to fire.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Or doing what you're supposed to do if you still want the feel of the real thing for takes, so it's not off-setting. Get it directly from the armorer yourself with no middle man, spending 5-10 seconds to check the loading gate and chambers for rounds, and still not pointing the muzzle directly at another living being. Especially with no Lexan blast shields at bare minimum.

jason10mm

Gold Member
So he drew, clocked the gun, and deliberately pulled the trigger whole pointing the revolver directly at people who had no safety gear. That's straight up negligence. Not murder, maybe not even manslaughter though there are some varying degrees of that, but it's gonna be a civil suit or private settlement for sure.

Or sycophants who think the man holding the gun doesn’t bear ANY responsibility at all.

Reminded of this,

Man, that video was fire!

77a9753c118e33f210c5086c5688af7c.gif

zeorhymer

"The assistant director on the movie “Rust,” who handed a prop gun to Alec Baldwin before the fatal shooting last week, was previously fired from a film production after a gun incident injured a crew member, the movie’s production company told CNN."

The plot thickens!

"The assistant director on the movie “Rust,” who handed a prop gun to Alec Baldwin before the fatal shooting last week, was previously fired from a film production after a gun incident injured a crew member, the movie’s production company told CNN."

The plot thickens!

The dude also worked on the sequel to The Crow.
Sometimes I really do think we live in The Matrix.

Dr Bass

Or sycophants who think the man holding the gun doesn’t bear ANY responsibility at all.

Reminded of this,

To the complete idiots (sorry, I am through being nice), see how easy and quick that was? That's what's apparently "not the handler's job" when you're talking about life and death. I can't believe people are STILL arguing this point. Complete and utter stupidity. That's all Baldwin had to do and someone wouldn't have died. Seconds of inspection vs. someone losing their entire frigging life. If you are defending this, you could not possibly be more dumb.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned

The plot thickens!

“Halls was removed from set immediately after the prop gun discharged. Production did not resume filming until Dave was off site. An incident report was taken and filed at that time,” it said.

“Upon wrapping production for the day, Dave Halls was officially terminated and given the specific reasons for his termination,” The company continued. “Dave was very remorseful for the events, and understood the reasons he was being terminated. A new assistant director as well as a new armorer were hired for the duration of principal photography.”

In the moments before the accidental discharge, one crew member said the gun was announced as a “no fire” or “cold weapon” for the scene. A second crew member said they asked multiple times if the gun was cleared for use in the shot, and did not receive a clear answer.”

He never should have been hired. Having him as the last line of defense got that poor woman killed.

///PATRIOT

Banned

“Halls was removed from set immediately after the prop gun discharged. Production did not resume filming until Dave was off site. An incident report was taken and filed at that time,” it said.

“Upon wrapping production for the day, Dave Halls was officially terminated and given the specific reasons for his termination,” The company continued. “Dave was very remorseful for the events, and understood the reasons he was being terminated. A new assistant director as well as a new armorer were hired for the duration of principal photography.”

In the moments before the accidental discharge, one crew member said the gun was announced as a “no fire” or “cold weapon” for the scene. A second crew member said they asked multiple times if the gun was cleared for use in the shot, and did not receive a clear answer.”

He never should have been hired. Having him as the last line of defense got that poor woman killed.
You keep going at with the last line of defense bullshit...

Very unfortunate, my condolences to the family. I hear that Alec Baldwin might be prosecuted for manslaughter, and the armorer may be prosecuted for negligence and manslaughter as well.

Jaysen

Banned
The guy standing right next to her when she was shot explains whose fault it was and how it can be prevented.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The guy standing right next to her when she was shot explains whose fault it was and how it can be prevented.

I wonder how he would feel if Alec had aimed 12 inches to the left.

And he assigned blame to the producers. Who might that be??

JayK47

Now we know how they had live rounds on "set". Complete lack of professionalism. I would expect this from backyard amateurs. Was the budget $20 and a six pack?

Takeaways from that -

Professional prop master “The last line of defense is the AD.”

As one of the producers of the film, Alec is open to civil liability, which is odd since a day prior to the accident he made a video encouraging workers on his own movie to walk off if they feel unsafe. So he might just have been a producer in title alone.

Circling the wagons. The last line of defence is the second to last guy to handle the weapon? Yeah...

And that "friend" of the deceased absolving Baldwin of all responsibility... pathetic.

Jaysen

Banned
Circling the wagons. The last line of defence is the second to last guy to handle the weapon? Yeah...

And that "friend" of the deceased absolving Baldwin of all responsibility... pathetic.
I guess If you don’t like the opinion of people who obviously know more than you do based on them being experts, concoct a conspiracy theory that prop masters from other movies are somehow covering for Alec Baldwin.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I guess If you don’t like the opinion of people who obviously know more than you do based on them being experts, concoct a conspiracy theory that prop masters from other movies are somehow covering for Alec Baldwin.
And yet, you ignore the opinion of other experts who say this is not kosher how it all went down.

I am going to side with my own experience, no nonsense professionals, as well as the most basic firearms safety 101. Not some chump trying to scrounge up confirmation bias when he finds them.

“A massive mistake was made,” Stacey Mickey-Evans told Australia’s 92.5 Triple M Gold Coast.

“There are massive protocols to stop these things from happening. There are multiple checks for it,” she said Sunday.

She noted that the armorist, assistant director and the key grip are supposed to “check the gun … no matter what’s going on on set.

“And then very lastly, the actor checks the gun,” she said of Baldwin, who was also one of the movie’s executive producers.
Firearm safety 101. Movie sets are not exempt from the universal golden rule. But, as I said before through experience, they do get away with things peasants don't. I can go on with some of the shit I witnessed and special treatments that would have people arrested in most other "normal" circumstances.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
You're telling me that on a Hollywood movie set, random crew members can grab "prop guns" that are just laying around somewhere, load them with real ammo, take them and go shoot at cans, then just put them back with the ammo still inside, then someone else grabs them, and, without checking, hands them to a movie star and says "it's all cool bruh", then the movie star points that gun at someone's head and blows their brains out?

Fuck.

People, as in more than one person, need to go to jail for a long time.

Nothing else to add.

mother of god... :lollipop_frowning_mouth:

Edit: To elaborate... How the hell do you not know where your firearms are at all times, _especially_ as the person whose job it is to know where the firearms are at all times?

What a fucking mess.
Easy, keep the guns in a guarded locked cage with sign in/out sheets and a camera. There's trailers for sleeping, hookers and blow, so why not have proper security for firearms? Movie studios should have these gun cage sready and available for use, with additional sign in/out procedures.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Given that this was a rehearsal, not a test of blank firing or a close up shot requiring dummy rounds, the gun should have been EMPTY. This is the BARE MINIMUM competency an actor can be expected to perform when handed a prop weapon. A simple visual check of the cylinder gap with the frame should have shown there was SOMETHING in at least one of the cylinder chambers; be it empty brass cases, a live round, a blank, or a dummy round. For this dry run rehearsal actually dry firing the revolver doesn't seem to have been necessary so Alec was negligent in failing to inspect the tool and in cocking and dry firing it in the direction of the crew instead of just mimicking the action and saying "pew pew" since the crew was in the line of fire and without protective precautions in place. Many other crew are also negligent.

Of note, this type of revolver is hard to quickly empty, each round has to be unloaded individually, even pushed out with the ejector rod if they were fired and the the case is stuck in the chamber. So I can see how a live round might have been left in and an incompetent series of inspections failed to identify it. You can't pop out the cylinder like on modern revolvers (in general, there are some break open styles, but Alec probably had a traditional Colt single action type revolver as those are by far the most common type depicted in Westerns) . This means it requires MORE on the part of the actor, possibly even pointing it into a discharge barrel and firing on all six chambers to verify whatever was in there was inert before calling the set "cold".

Given all the other screw-ups on this set I wonder if he had a gun belt with ammunition in it, and if that was live ammo he inadvertently loaded instead of dummy rounds or whatever they use in those things. Tracing the origin of the live ammo is going to be interesting (probably a hold over from the off-set target practice but it would be nice to know for sure by comparing the bullet and case from the shooting with the ammo they were plinking with). The thought that a scab could have sabotaged the set (and inadvertently got someone killed in the process) is terrifying. The previous gun mishaps likely point to incompetence rather than malicious intent.

Mikado

Easy, keep the guns in a manned locked cage with sign in/out sheets.

No doubt. As a prop master (much less an armourer), I'd be _furious_ if people were fucking around with on-screen assets.

"We've got everyone here to do the shot, we're burning daylight and god knows how many dollars a minute - where the fuck is that Infinity Gauntlet prop that we spent thousands of dollars to build?"
"Somebody from Craft Services grabbed it to get Instagram points by wearing it while shopping for chili at Costco."

Last edited:
Man, that video was fire!

77a9753c118e33f210c5086c5688af7c.gif
Will Smith based af as usual

Things I've noticed (and questioned):

- Alec trying to turn this into an anti-gun issue and disavowing responsibility (shocker)
- Very few people turning their attention to proper gun safety (instead it's a circle jerk of who to blame)
- Very few people trying to figure out how live rounds were even on set much less in circulation with the prop rounds/guns
- Very few people using this tragedy to make changes in the film industry
- Very few people using this tragedy to push for safer conditions for stunt actors/actresses and other set workers

--

I probably missed some things

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Will Smith based af as usual

Things I've noticed (and questioned):

- Alec trying to turn this into an anti-gun issue and disavowing responsibility (shocker)
- Very few people turning their attention to proper gun safety (instead it's a circle jerk of who to blame)
- Very few people trying to figure out how live rounds were even on set much less in circulation with the prop rounds/guns
- Very few people using this tragedy to make changes in the film industry
- Very few people using this tragedy to push for safer conditions for stunt actors/actresses and other set workers

--

I probably missed some things
There ARE rules for this, it's just this production did not follow them are were cheap and sloppy.

But during four days of negotiations, he became alarmed that “Rust” appeared to be a slapdash production that put saving money over people’s safety, he told the California paper.

“There were massive red flags,” he said, saying that he emailed to turn down the gig.

“After I pressed ‘send’ on that last email, I felt, in the pit of my stomach: ‘That is an accident waiting to happen,’” he told the LA paper.
Zoromski said he now feels haunted over the fatal shooting of 42-year-old cinematographer Halyna Hutchins — believing that had he taken the job, the deadly accident would never have happened.

“I take my job incredibly seriously,” he told the LA Times.

“As the prop master, you have to be concerned about safety. I’m the guy who hands the guns to the people on set,” he said.
One of his key concerns had been that producers — who only had a budget of $7 million — refused his request to also hire both an assistant prop master and an armorer.

Days after he turned down the job, Hannah Gutierrez Reed — a 24-year-old ex-model who’d only been armorer once before — announced she’d gotten the job as the “property key assistant/armorer,” the paper said.

Just months ago, she admitted she was scared of taking on such jobs because of her lack of experience.
“You never have a prop assistant double as the armorer,” Zoromski said. “Those are two really big jobs.”

Zoromski was also concerned that the prop master was being hired just two weeks before shooting started, robbing the key crew member of the months of prep time they usually get, he said.

“In the movies, the prep is everything. … But here, there was absolutely no time to prepare, and that gave me a bad feeling,” he said.
But in the end, the veteran actor and owner of the lead production company disregarded the most basic firearms safety rule, and one that is followed in proper Hollywood production, and that is to check the firearm you are handed... ALWAYS!

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The media gots to protect their own. They are so fucking corrupt.
This is true, if it were James Woods, they would call for his head and there would be article after article in the MSM aperatus describing everything I said that SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE, since them is the rules. You know, firearm safety 101.

There would be flippy floppies in this thread and all over the internets. My position would remain the same, however. The golden rule.

Last edited:

cr0w

Old Member
I really have nothing to add outside of how badly I feel for the DP and her family, but as someone who has very little experience with guns even I would absolutely make sure there was nothing in the chamber, clip, what the fuck ever else could possibly be loaded. I don't trust anybody enough to take their word that a gun isn't loaded, I don't give a fuck who you are.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is true, if it were James Woods, they would call for his head and there would be article after article in the MSM aperatus describing everything I said that SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE, since them is the rules. You know, firearm safety 101.

There would be flippy floppies in this thread and all over the internets. My position would remain the same, however. The golden rule.

Sadly true. CNN in particular has shown time again that its not to be trusted, making their obvious efforts in trying to protect Baldwin pretty queasy imho.

Not saying that he's solely responsible, but trying to mitigate his culpability as the person holding the weapon at the end of a chain of malpractices when he's both the star/most experienced performer on the set, and a producer... C'mon now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom