• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alec Baldwin Kills Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins With Real Gun

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Firearm safety 101 is not "check a weapon is unloaded before pointing it at people"
Movies sometimes require an actor to point a 'loaded' weapon at someone and pull the trigger.
Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I thought it was, don't point it at people period.
Right - always treat a gun like it is loaded. Which on some movie sets is a rule that is often broken, but under what should be highly controlled situations. Same as don't blow shit-up, don't set people on fire, don't drive recklessly etc.
There were failures at pretty much every step of the way on this set. This wasn't an avoidable but understandable failure like the death of Brandon Lee, this was complete failure of controls every step of the way. There is absolutely no way that completely live ammunition should be on a movie set, should then be loaded into a gun, should then be handed to an actor, who then fires it at a person.

zeorhymer

Who knows. But the interview sets him up for some civil lawsuits for sure. He was even implying that it was Hutchins' fault that she died.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I think Baldwin is going to face charges.
Probably, but extremely unlikely that he is found guilty or spends time behind bars. If they can prove he knew it was loaded or that he did it on purpose then yeah I can see jail time.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think Baldwin is going to face charges.
Involuntary Manslaughter wouldve been a guarantee if he wasnt handed a weapon by someone else. It will be tough to get an indictment from the grand jury unless they bring the charges against the Armorer and the Assistant director.

But then they can argue that if Alec doesnt pull the trigger, no one gets hurt. And Alec can argue that if the gun didnt have a live round, no one gets hurt.

I just dont see any jury convicting anyone for this, and the prosecutors might think the same and drop the case. It's just a tragic series of mistakes by everyone involved, but not exactly criminal.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Involuntary Manslaughter wouldve been a guarantee if he wasnt handed a weapon by someone else. It will be tough to get an indictment from the grand jury unless they bring the charges against the Armorer and the Assistant director.

But then they can argue that if Alec doesnt pull the trigger, no one gets hurt. And Alec can argue that if the gun didnt have a live round, no one gets hurt.

I just dont see any jury convicting anyone for this, and the prosecutors might think the case and drop the case. It's just a tragic series of mistakes by everyone involved, but not exactly criminal.
Exactly. No one can deny this was just a cascade of mistakes and stupidity, but highly unlikely Baldwin is found guilty of anything and sent to jail.

He and the people involved will be paying out a massive civil suit though.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It was a real working firearm. If this was a prop gun that had a hot squib or something then I could see "workplace accident". But this was a REAL gun he pointed at a person and manipulated the firing mechanism. People go to jail for this very thing (brandishing) or for neigent discharges of an 'unloaded' gun.

It would be like a movie sword fight with real steel swords. "But it wasn't sharpened!" he says has he drives the point through someone's skill.

daveonezero

Banned
Exactly. No one can deny this was just a cascade of mistakes and stupidity, but highly unlikely Baldwin is found guilty of anything and sent to jail.

He and the people involved will be paying out a massive civil suit though.
This is why the rules of fire arm safety are what they are. To avoid all mistakes and negligence. From others in the industry there was negligence. He accepted the gun from someone that shouldn’t have handed it to him and he or that person never checked it.

it isn’t crazy a live round was on set.

you don’t get to say “we made mistakes and didn’t follow the rules”

and then say

“I wasn’t responsible”

No you were responsible for following the rules. If you don’t then the repercussions are severe.

this isn’t that hard and no one but a Hollywood actor would be given this much grace. Not even a police officer is given this much leeway.

Last edited:

Romulus

I watched his interview and felt genuinely touch and hurt for him and the family of the victims. Maybe hes acting.

I find this whole thing ironic. Alec did that interview because he is a self-absorbed Hollywood actor that needed to be in the spotlight. He literally said he couldn’t wait for the investigation to be over before defending himself. Now that the attention was directed back at him, he jumps ship lol.

Razvedka

Banned
If You Say So Shrug GIF

Y’all empty vessel posers in here projecting this and that he said she said political bullshit, can kiss my ass. I spoke from experience with firearms for over 30 years, as well as my film set experience on firearm safety with actors.

Firearm safely 101, Clooney knows.

And here is a seasoned veteran backing it up. That is proper procedure both on and off sets.

The only exception is elitism and public hero worship holding them to a different standard than if you did this in your own backyard.
The stuff I'm hearing about what went on at that set is kind of mind boggling. If tomorrow I got cast on a show where I had to shoot prop guns I'd be very OCD about it. If you know how to use & treat guns then being in a movie is asking you to violate everything you know (pointing and shooting at someone).

I'd consult the armorer, talk to the other actors, I'd never point it anywhere inappropriate until the scene starts and honestly I would check the barrel. Hell I'd probably request to inspect the damn rounds in front of the armorer too. Paranoia up to 11.

And it's not just for safety on set. You develop bad habits there with highly realistic guns and ammo and that kind of nasty mentality can walk off set with you into the real world. That's how you get NDs or accidental deaths at home. No thanks.

I'd be a wreak on set as someone who owns guns IRL.

Last edited:

NickFire

I'm no lawyer (clearly), but I thought it would be the production company that would be sued?
Everyone involved is going to get sued unless they settle pre-suit. Working for someone is not a shield to lawsuits if a defendant was personally negligent (or alleged to be).

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I havent followed the aftermath or watched the video, but can you guys give a recap what's he's trying to claim?

Is it the gun is shoddy and accidentally went off by itself?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm no lawyer (clearly), but I thought it would be the production company that would be sued?
He owns the production company. That is why all this blame shifting is well... cute.

He is not only the lowly newbie actor who never handled a firearm ever in his virgin career with universal safety rules (sarcasm), he was the man at the top of production.

They conveniently leave that out of these fluff interviews.

Last edited:
He owns the production company. That is why all this blame shifting is well... cute.

He is not only the lowly newbie actor who never handled a firearm ever in his virgin career with universal safety rules (sarcasm), he was the man at the top of production.

They conveniently leave that out of these fluff interviews.
Yea, I thought he was part of the production company. Idk, but I'm sure the family will sue the production company as well anyway.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Dude didnt even have to check it himself. He should have differed to the person he hired to do that job.
But instead took it from the assistant director.

At that point he and everyone else on set should have said let’s not do this unless we want to take responsibility for someone’s death.

Instead he just assumed it’s near impossible That a live round could be in the gun.

people dry fire with their defense guns all the time and they never make this assumption because their children or themselves could die.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
Honestly what the fuck is Baldwin even doing.

I have no idea what actually happened that day, who's responsible, whatever. But my god how does he not realize he's doing the opposite of everything he should be doing right now. Tweets. Interviews. Just...stop! STOP!
He lives in his own world the same as a lot of other elites, that feel the rules of "regular people" don't apply to them, and they can do anything they want. That combined with their unbridled narcissistic personalities means this is what you'd expect for someone like him who also has zero moral compass whatsoever.

He lives in his own world the same as a lot of other elites, that feel the rules of "regular people" don't apply to them, and they can do anything they want. That combined with their unbridled narcissistic personalities means this is what you'd expect for someone like him who also has zero moral compass whatsoever.
He is a Hollywood self-absorbed actor so he constantly needs attention to stroke his ego. Anyone with a brain would have told him that doing a public TV interview before criminal charges were set is a bad idea, but no, he just couldn’t fucking help himself.

Amory

He is a Hollywood self-absorbed actor so he constantly needs attention to stroke his ego. Anyone with a brain would have told him that doing a public TV interview before criminal charges were set is a bad idea, but no, he just couldn’t fucking help himself.
True but isn't that why narcissistic celebrities have publicists? To help them relate to the unwashed masses?

True but isn't that why narcissistic celebrities have publicists? To help them relate to the unwashed masses?
They can only do so much. Can't keep a rabid dog on a loose chain. I'm sure his lawyer told him not to do this too.

Last edited:

tygertrip

Hope Baldwin gets put away for his reckless behavior. He could have taken classes like any other actor and not put lives at risk during his whole career. You can tell how far his head is up his own ass with him doing interviews right after it happened. What an idiot
Just another Hollywood elite that tells the plebs how they should think and live. Only this one is so ignorant and reckless he killed someone. I can’t even fathom pointing a gun at someone (Unless I intend to shoot), loaded or unloaded. Guns are ALWAYS loaded (even when they are not). If he was anywhere the expert he thinks he is, he would have known this.

tygertrip

Well it was his job and the weapon belongs to the film crew. Its an work accident now. You cant just blame everything on the actor when everyone is doing this for years now.

Not an actor has to take care of the weapon in the first place but the film crew who is prepping everything for the record.

Otherwise we can now start to ban all firearms from the set so no actor will kill another person by accident.
I hope you don’t handle guns.

I don’t doubt that he feels bad for what happened, but, interviewing him is hilarious, in a bad way. He’s an actor, he’s gonna use that in the interview, I couldn’t take him seriously. He also had a long time to put together what he wanted to say/how he wanted to respond to the questions.

MaulerX

According to info obtained from court filings today Alec Baldwin is actually blaming the victim Halyna Hutchins??

He said she instructed him to point the gun at her. He previously said that he would never point the gun at anybody effectively contradicting himself.

Wtf??

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
According to info obtained from court filings today Alec Baldwin is actually blaming the victim Halyna Hutchins??

He said she instructed him to point the gun at her. He previously said that he would never point the gun at anybody effectively contradicting himself.

Wtf??
But of course it's a valid reason!!!!

If you tell me to stab you with a knife, and I do stab you, it's your fault!

Top Bottom