• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alex Ross has rendered a Secret Wars #1 variant cover so awesome it might be too good

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

Who is the little tiny dude chillan on Colossus' (?) cape?

Actually...Just tell me who all these people are.
apZJVSX.gif
Ant-Man

I'm guessing one of them is a Hulk variant too.

Mudcrab

That's an amazing cover. Can't wait for Secret Wars. Remember back when they announced this? They were hyping it up as the biggest Marvel thing ever and we were all skeptical. Now look at this.

You hyped up for this Wednesday? Both Avengers books are ending with giant-sized issues.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Secret Wars is gonna be so crazy

Dalek

You hyped up for this Wednesday? Both Avengers books are ending with giant-sized issues.

and then Secret Wars 0 on Free Comic Book Day this Saturday!

Cool story-this is the local movie theater in my town-it's old times, one screen, etc. But it's clean, cheap and is a pure experience. When they have a hit movie, there are literal lines around the block, because they don't have a giant lobby like most big theaters.

l.jpg

They also own the comic book store next door. I was talking to the comic book store manager and this weekend they are going to be showing Avengers: Age of Ultron in the theater on opening weekend and having Free Comic Book Day right next door. It's going to be crazy packed.

Meh, he's done way better. Has a water colour look I don't appreciate. I think I enjoy his more grounded but still corny images.

Never heard of this Brute before. The only Marvel Brute I know is Henry McCoy.

PfDwrtV.jpg

and then Secret Wars 0 on Free Comic Book Day this Saturday!

Cool story-this is the local movie theater in my town-it's old times, one screen, etc. But it's clean, cheap and is a pure experience. When they have a hit movie, there are literal lines around the block, because they don't have a giant lobby like most big theaters.

l.jpg

They also own the comic book store next door. I was talking to the comic book store manager and this weekend they are going to be showing Avengers: Age of Ultron in the theater on opening weekend and having Free Comic Book Day right next door. It's going to be crazy packed.

That's super cool, and I know where that is!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
this is super weird, just like that time when he did the 30 Rock cast looking like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Nice to finally see Alex Ross change it up. I love his work, but I grew frustrated with his insistence on refusing to draw/paint DC's characters with their up to date looks.

akira28

Nice to finally see Alex Ross change it up. I love his work, but I grew frustrated with his insistence on refusing to draw/paint DC's characters with their up to date looks.

he did that?
lol, respect, Mr. Ross. *fistbump*

classic looks are classic. like they'll be worth looking at years from now. The stuff today is temporal and they know it. HE knows it.

I could see him doing a Thomas Wayne Batman though. That's original enough, but I don't see him doing a new052 Supes and I understand why, I think.

he did that?

classic looks are classic. like they'll be worth looking at years from now. The stuff today is temporal and they know it. HE knows it.

I could see him doing a Thomas Wayne Batman though. That's original enough, but I don't see him doing a new052 Supes and I understand why, I think.

Oh I agree, I can respect his opinion to a degree on the subject, but he had been with DC so long and had done sooo much Silver Age paintings that I wanted him to change it up. He has been very vocal about his disdain of changes to established characters, no matter how small. He was a bit of a hypocrite too, with the temporary suit changes in the "JUSTICE" mini series.

Slayven

Oh I agree, I can respect his opinion to a degree on the subject, but he had been with DC so long and had done sooo much Silver Age paintings that I wanted him to change it up. He has been very vocal about his disdain of changes to established characters, no matter how small. He was a bit of a hypocrite too, with the temporary suit changes in the "JUSTICE" mini series.

He did Kingdom Come, I will allow it

kingdom-com-3.jpg

Sou Da

he did that?

No, he was just an arrogant asshole with a hardon for the silver age who thought his designs were better than any modern design.

MisterHero

The story could be fluff but it's worth it if Alex Ross isn't always illustrating the 'iconic' versions of characters.

Composition-wise the Earth/Universe/Paradise X covers are arguably superior.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
eh, they've done fake out covers with him on it before, and he wasn't anywhere to be found.

background.jpg

they may be using him as a stand in for "the" beyonders on the cover.

That was supposed to be the beyonder? I thought that was maximus

Eh, seeing the original Beyonder might be fun but
ultimately pointless seeing that he's a child unit

he WAS. Secret Wars was 15 years ago in marvel time, and Beyonder has evolved several times since then.

Beyonder and Molecule Man merged into Kosmos, which later became "the maker", which died during annihilation and was reborn somewhere else we haven't seen yet.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, seeing the original Beyonder might be fun but
ultimately pointless seeing that he's a child unit

Child unit just means he'll be an underdog among Beyonders when he shows up. He can still easily fuck shit up.

Pretty sure that's maximus the mad.

its not. There was an interview somewhere where it was confirmed it was beyonder, not maximus.

On top of that, it's a clear reference to Hank Pym going on his cross dimensional journey and encountering the Beyonders/Ivory Kings.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure that's maximus the mad.

What I thought at first too, but when that issue came out that no longer made sense. That issue is about Hank Pym discovering The Beyonders. I don't think Maximus was even in it, nor have the two interacted in the series so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom