• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alex Ross has rendered a Secret Wars #1 variant cover so awesome it might be too good

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I thought at first too, but when that issue came out that no longer made sense. That issue is about Hank Pym discovering The Beyonders. I don't think Maximus was even in it, nor have the two interacted in the series so far.

its not. There was an interview somewhere where it was confirmed it was beyonder, not maximus.

On top of that, it's a clear reference to Hank Pym going on his cross dimensional journey and encountering the Beyonders.

But...but... the hair aint curleh...the shoulderpads are sane....

I'm sad now.

Cuburt

Not knowing any of the alternate versions of these characters, my first impression was that it feels like Badbox art Megaman levels of interpretation but without the bad art.

jph139

Between Ross and Ribic, I'd bet anything that Secret Wars will be worth it on art alone.

Who's the blue Thing? I like his look.

otapnam

and then Secret Wars 0 on Free Comic Book Day this Saturday!

Cool story-this is the local movie theater in my town-it's old times, one screen, etc. But it's clean, cheap and is a pure experience. When they have a hit movie, there are literal lines around the block, because they don't have a giant lobby like most big theaters.

l.jpg

They also own the comic book store next door. I was talking to the comic book store manager and this weekend they are going to be showing Avengers: Age of Ultron in the theater on opening weekend and having Free Comic Book Day right next door. It's going to be crazy packed.

Used to drop by crush back in the day ;)

last movie i saw at chabot theater was the american.... and maybe star wars ep 1 special edition lol

I had this sweet poster on my wall when I was a kid...
sw2poster.jpg

Looking at this...
- I wonder why there hasn't been a New Mutants film (too weird for mainstream?)
- I'm reminded how much they fucked up Rogue in the X-Men films. '80s Rogue was one of my favorite characters

Love that cover, he's doing good work.

Meh, he's done way better. Has a water colour look I don't appreciate. I think I enjoy his more grounded but still corny images.

Never heard of this Brute before. The only Marvel Brute I know is Henry McCoy.

PfDwrtV.jpg

Sometimes I feel like the only person that loved Mutant X.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Always got tired of people telling me that was Maximus.

Personally I thought it was rather genius that it looks a bit like Maximus. It's only in the context of the issue that you realize that it is referring to the beyonders.

Darg

Neo Member
Eh, seeing the original Beyonder might be fun but
ultimately pointless seeing that he's a child unit

I guess it is sort of needed, i mean even hickman did a cherry pick retcon of beyonder (a subtle one at that) while doing his best to keep the original character intact. We all know the instant win button the character had, i doubt hickman wants that instant win button again (even though these current beyonders are extremely powerful) and it wouldn't be very interesting either.

The first few massive retcons tried to take away the instant win button but they failed horribly at doing it (anyone remember those cringe worthy retcons?). Maybe now we might have a proper character lol (maybe), since it might be done properly.

I guess it is sort of needed, i mean even hickman did a cherry pick retcon of beyonder (a subtle one at that) while doing his best to keep the original character intact. We all know the instant win button the character had, i doubt hickman wants that instant win button again (even though these current beyonders are extremely powerful) and it wouldn't be very interesting either.

The first few massive retcons tried to take away the instant win button but they failed horribly at doing it (anyone remember those cringe worthy retcons?). Maybe now we might have a proper character lol (maybe), since it might be done properly.

That's the thing, they actually don't seem to be.

We've seen at least two of them killed, and one rendered helpless and defeated by regular ass heroes. how they wiped out the complete celestial pantheon and then some is a mystery to me.

O.G. Pre-retcon beyonder was completely, utterly, and totally untouchable by anyone. Literally laughed off blasts that would have wiped out "a billion universes." - but was supposedly a "child unit" compared to these things? ok.

Curious to see how
Doom
takes them out.

Sometimes I feel like the only person that loved Mutant X.

There are literally dozens of you!

Loona

Wow - literally a single panel from a single gag book published 30 years ago. THAT is impressively obscure!

THU6r9Bm.jpg

Holy damn, I had a comic that included this (I recall the Thing being pink there though... Maybe a recolor, or it a different comic?) as this was the brazillian edition, it was an extra feature on a full Doomquest comic, so I had no idea then it originally came from an individual comic.

Now I wonder if that comic will cover some of the other alternates there, like deaf Daredevil, rock star Black Bolt, redneck Avengers and Cyclops that shoots beams from his ears.

Darg

Neo Member
That's the thing, they actually don't seem to be.

We've seen at least two of them killed, and one rendered helpless and defeated by regular ass heroes. how they wiped out the complete celestial pantheon and then some is a mystery to me.

O.G. Pre-retcon beyonder was completely, utterly, and totally untouchable by anyone. Literally laughed off blasts that would have wiped out "a billion universes." - but was supposedly a "child unit" compared to these things? ok.

Yeah, feels like like there was some pis going on regarding that tidbit that happened between the heroes and beyonders, just getting a pis vibe, par for coarse when it comes to comics, im just hoping for an amazing explanation on the "how" at the very least. That whole encounter was odd (to be honest the child unit part/explanation/reveal is odd aswell after all the showings we have seen thus far).

MC Safety

I had this sweet poster on my wall when I was a kid...
sw2poster.jpg

Looking at this...
- I wonder why there hasn't been a New Mutants film (too weird for mainstream?)
- I'm reminded how much they fucked up Rogue in the X-Men films. '80s Rogue was one of my favorite characters

They made a Generation X made-for-TV movie. It was as bad or, possibly, worse than you might imagine.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Welp. Just got one on the Alex Ross store. I'm not really all that into Marvel comics, but I love Alex Ross' art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom