• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Covenant |SPOILER THREAD| With more Christian subtext than BvS

The next movies need to rebound so hard if they want to keep me on board. I despised this, but if it's just one misstep (I liked Prometheus) I can let it go.

I just feel like it's probably going to get worse and more convoluted.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So in Ridley's drunken state of mind...why did the original Engineer ship from the first Alien have eggs and facehuggers on it if David created them?

I really want someone to ask him this with a camera in his face so it can be recorded how dumb he has let this shit get.

The Space Jockey was David. It's the inevitable outcome of these prequels.

The Space Jockey was David. It's the inevitable outcome of these prequels.
We can do better than this.

Ripley is one of the colonists frozen on the Covenant. She's the product of David realizing the errors of his ways, and modifies her so she can be the perfect human foil to his xenomorph killing machines.

So many want to see explanation for presence of queen in Aliens? Well maybe, just maybe, David realised his creation wasn't as perfect as he thought it was. At least it didn't seem to be as smart as in first movies, thinking before acting. And he get to see it getting killed by couple of humans. And maybe he realised that "ok, I created these creatures and eggs, but what then? Engineers created humans, who now reproduce by themselves, maybe that should be my next experiment?" And thus David creating queen, and finally xenos kill David since he isn't needed anymore, circle complete.

Enjoyed the movie. The animalistic behavior and ferocious face attacking was a welcome change to the slower plodding of the originals.

Also, the scene with Elizabeth Shaw splayed out on a table, with her organs removed for inspection. Later with pictures of her corpse after infestation(And the subtle nod to an Alien Queen) was VERY unsettling. Much more unsettling than anything else in the series.

The main problem I had with Prometheus still remains in Covenant. It's not the dumb characters. It's not the dumb god allegories. It's the structure. There's a setup and then all the sudden you're in the third act and the movie is over. Neomorphs show up and they're gone. Xenomorphs show up and then they're gone. The creatures don't get time to breathe and establish themselves as smart hunters. You don't get time to learn any of these characters' names or faces before they get offed. Prometheus and Covenant are bad slasher/monster movies.

The main problem I had with Prometheus still remains in Covenant. It's not the dumb characters. It's not the dumb god allegories. It's the structure. There's a setup and then all the sudden you're in the third act and the movie is over. Neomorphs show up and they're gone. Xenomorphs show up and then they're gone. The creatures don't get time to breathe and establish themselves as smart hunters. You don't get time to learn any of these characters' names or faces before they get offed. Prometheus and Covenant are bad slasher/monster movies.

Agreed with this, though for me Prometheus did a much better job with its characters at least. I knew David, Shaw, Holloway, Vickers, and Janek pretty well by the end of it. Characters like Millburn and Fifield had introductions and some back and forths. Apart from Walter, Daniels, Tennessee and the captain everyone else was utterly nameless to me. This movie lacked good character interaction and dialogue in general. During the alien attack at the end, I didn't know who the fuckers in the shower were. I didn't know who was in that operating room dead with all the blood. I didn't know Ten's wife that was slipping on the blood and this and that. I didn't even know it WAS his wife until after the fact. Just mostly disposable, forgettable people.

And yeah, both movies feel like they're missing things. As you said they feel like a lot of setup and then a rush to the ending.

duckroll

So in Ridley's drunken state of mind...why did the original Engineer ship from the first Alien have eggs and facehuggers on it if David created them?

I really want someone to ask him this with a camera in his face so it can be recorded how dumb he has let this shit get.

He will say that you will find the answer to that in the next film.

Agreed with this, though for me Prometheus did a much better job with its characters at least. I knew David, Shaw, Holloway, Vickers, and Janek pretty well by the end of it. Characters like Millburn and Fifield had introductions and some back and forths. Apart from Walter, Daniels, Tennessee and the captain everyone else was utterly nameless to me. This movie lacked good character interaction and dialogue in general. During the alien attack at the end, I didn't know who the fuckers in the shower were. I didn't know who was in that operating room dead with all the blood. I didn't know Ten's wife that was slipping on the blood and this and that. Just mostly disposable, forgettable people.

I'll give you that Prometheus did do a better job of characterizing the alien food before killing them. The problem with Prometheus is that there weren't really any aliens to feed. The worms disappeared out of the movie after they killed Fifield and biologist. Then zombie Fifield and Engineer mostly just smacked everyone around like a cheap episode of Buffy. Snakeworm was more terrifying than anything in Covenant though.

Vectorman

Banned
The space jockey had a chest burster coming out of it, though...?

I could see Ridley doing what you're saying, but that doesn't mean it makes sense.

Fuck, like he cares anymore.
Also keep in mind that the remains of the Jockey are fossilized, which meant the ship was there for a long ass time, how the hell do you explain that? Time travel?

I'll give you that Prometheus did do a better job of characterizing the alien food before killing them. The problem with Prometheus is that there weren't really any aliens to feed. The worms disappeared out of the movie after they killed Fifield and biologist. Then zombie Fifield and Engineer mostly just smacked everyone around like a cheap episode of Buffy. Snakeworm was more terrifying than anything in Covenant though.

Well, I did like that about Prometheus, actually-- it was interesting, even intriguing to me how the viral strain worked and how the actual crew ended up fucking each other up. It felt like there were different things going on there. Here it was just... yep poor looking CGI creature thing erupts out of everyone with fountains of blood. Granted it was disgusting... the first few times, then I became quickly desensitized to it.

Also keep in mind that the remains of the Jockey are fossilized, which meant the ship was there for a long ass time, how the hell do you explain that? Time travel?
I mean, legitimately, the most logical explanation is that David isn't the first to make Xenomorphs. The chestburster here doesn't really look anything like the ones we've seen before, it's essentially a mini-adult Xeno in Covenant.

I'll be clear that I don't think Ridley Scott will go this route, and even this explanation would require some (probably) painful exposition to arrive at. But it's why I choose to use in my head canon right now. :lol

sneas78

Banned
Yes.

We kinda got it in the flashback with David's genocide, but Prometheus was a bigger film in almost every way. The Big Question™, the scope of it, the world of the Engineers and the black shit (which still doesn't make any sense and I doubt it ever will).

Prometheus' ending suggested that a follow up would continue this odyssey, but that's cut short in this film, which sorta wraps up everything in Prometheus sans David. Which is a major bummer.
Noooooooooo. Damn it! I was hoping a follow up.

I was disappointed. I just think David creating the xenomorphs is lame. It wasn't clear but could the egg be created inside shaw because she had already been infected with alien DNA?

So what we know now is that all the space jockey's aren't dead. We're still not on the original planet from the first 2 films. No one explanation where the queen comes from.

I wonder if the queen comes from the original space jockey?

Melchiah

Enjoyed the movie. The animalistic behavior and ferocious face attacking was a welcome change to the slower plodding of the originals.

Also, the scene with Elizabeth Shaw splayed out on a table, with her organs removed for inspection. Later with pictures of her corpse after infestation(And the subtle nod to an Alien Queen) was VERY unsettling. Much more unsettling than anything else in the series.

I seemed to have missed that, or just forgotten it. Can you elaborate?

I thought this was terrible. Every human had moments of total idiocy, and you could see the "plot twist" coming from an hour away.

They played it very obviously. I don't think the 'twist' was meant to surprise anyone, but to build the growing sense of dread. The corpse of shaw being so non-nonchalantly shown was the twist.

David killed Shaw and wiped out an engineer colony just to feed his psycopathy. Now hes going to wake up/raise 10000 colonists for the same purpose.

Edit

I seemed to have missed that, or just forgotten it. Can you elaborate?

All the 'Neomorphs' are animalistic. They don't recognize inherent dangers. The scene with David trying to tame the white neomorph like a horse should of stuck out. Shaws corpse is shown twice. Once in the drawings, which depicted a chestburster coming from an Engineer, then an oversized/decorated Alien skull similar to a queen, then a picture of Shaw dead with her jaw ripped half off.

Black goo causes predictable mutations/infections I think. He observed all the animal life on the planet to learn the patterns, then bred different species trying to find perfection.

Monocle

This movie was ace. A return to form for the Alien series.

Covenant takes all of the good elements of Prometheus and folds them into a really engaging, well paced sci-fi movie. It provides a hell of a spectacle and loads of awesomely gruesome moments that reinvigorate the aliens of the original film. They're legitimately scary predators again.

This time, the crew aren't a bunch of idiots who do silly things when they ought to know better. Granted, they make bad decisions, but for human reasons: in the throes of high emotion, or because they've rationalized their bad choice as the right move for the crew or themselves. You don't have any scientists trying to pet evil snake monsters. You don't have two intelligent people running in a straight line from an object that can travel in only one direction.

The plot is way darker and more interesting than Prometheus's story, and the other two lesser entries in the Alien series, for that matter. Like, by far.

I think Covenant hit just about all of the beats I was looking for:

- beautiful space visuals
- exotic environments, and natural settings with futuristic elements
- a healthy stretch of exploration and discovery before things start falling apart
- a cast with diverse personalities that lead to tension and conflict
- a charismatic antagonist
- vicious creatures that kill with grisly style
- badass visually arresting sequences of story-driven mayhem
- scenes of intense peril where there's an urgent need to get the hell away from an awful thing
- satisfying answers to some of the questions raised by Prometheus
- nice connections and parallels to the original Alien

This was a very entertaining movie. Consistently engaging and wonderfully twisted, with several truly awe-inspiring moments. I left completely satisfied and I can't wait to see it again. Alien: Covenant exceeded my expectations.

I'm not surprised in the least to see the overblown negative reactions here. This movie was never going to please people who want to run with the narrative that Ridley Scott is a hack, or insist that Prometheus has no redeeming value at all (or conversely that it's suddenly so good that Covenant is awful by comparison), or start fuming when they see modern effects in an Alien film.

I just got out of the theater.

This was a far, far better and tighter movie than Prometheus.

I'm actually surprised by the Prometheus love in this thread. Yeah, it had some nice set pieces, was fantastically directed and the mystery of the Engineers and the planet had a lot of promise but the writing was so stupid and sloppy at points and it couldn't live up the themes it brought up. Heck, this film retroactively makes parts of Prometheus especially regarding David make more sense.

This movie isn't perfectly written by any means. I too many crew members leave on their own unjustifiably only to be killed off. I found the scene with the two people in the shower to be so schlocky and Friday the 13th. It was out of place and did not belong in this movie. Also every time someone dies their spouse is there and upset. This happens three times in the movie. It's really repetitive. I get why a colony mission would be made up mostly of couples but still. The neomorph birth scene in the drop ship was a complete hot mess though. There's more dumb stuff as well. But there is nothing as stupid as the guys getting high in the weapons facility and the guy trying to befriend an obviously hostile alien snake that's hissing at him or the people running from the Alien ship as it crashes.

Overall it's a really solid Alien movie. It's tense, scary, dread inducing. The neomorphs are extremely unsettling looking. Like Xenomorphs crossed with Slenderman. David is actually enjoyable to watch in this movie rather than acting completely nonsensically with almost no established motivations.

Also Prometheus never promised some grand chariots of the gods continuation. It ended with Shaw and David going to the Engineer home world with Shaw delusionally thinking they'd be welcomed with open arms after it was very clearly established that they were planning on destroying all humans and would absolutely kill them as soon as they showed up. If anything, nuking David nuking the Engineer home world was the greatest thing he could have done to preserve mankind. Prometheus was an outrageously stupid movie overall. I feel like I'm watching the Zelda cycle play out here.

The movie is thrilling. the ending is chilling and terrifying. Highly enjoyable. Overall aside from my writing complaints I mentioned, the movie is far too fast. I feel like it could have had a longer run time with more time taken to build up dread and characterization.

Also regarding the queen, I'm pretty sure soldiers can impregnate someone with a queen if there is no existing queen present. Wasn't that the entire plot of Alien 3?

Monocle

^ To be fair, Shaw wasn't necessarily expecting a warm reception. She just wanted answers from the creators and would-be destroyers of humanity.

^ To be fair, Shaw wasn't necessarily expecting a warm reception. She just wanted answers from the creators and would-be destroyers of humanity.

The only justifiable reason why anyone in her situation would think anything other than being killed on sight would happen is because she'd be straight up delusional from the grief of losing everything.

Monocle

The only justifiable reason why anyone in her situation would think anything other than being killed on sight would happen is because she'd be straight up delusional from the grief of losing everything.
I mean, she was kind of delusional to begin with. Strong belief in God, yet filled with starry eyed wonder at the possibly of meeting humanity's makers in the flesh. Logic wasn't her strong suit.

I could at least believe that after her awful ordeal, with nothing but David's head to keep her company, she'd decide that she had traveled too far and lost too much to go back home to a life of loneliness and regret. I mean in her position I'd also be desperate to know why the hell the Engineers made us and then decided we were a failed experiment.

Mr. Sam

I think what I disliked about this film, in a nutshell, was its lack of ambition. Prometheus was an unforgivable mess but it shot for the stars. This aimed much lower and still missed the mark.

It ended with Shaw and David going to the Engineer home world with Shaw delusionally thinking they'd be welcomed with open arms after it was very clearly established that they were planning on destroying all humans and would absolutely kill them as soon as they showed up.

As stupid as Prometheus was - I think there's portions of my brain that are yet to switch back on after watching it - I don't think that's implied at all. What Shaw states is that she deserves answers for why the engineers wanted to create humanity and then wipe them out, and is going to get them. Just what she thinks she's going to do to get answers from a species of gigantic, aggressive, presumably incredibly intelligent space albinos is anyone's guess, but it's not implied she's expecting a sit down and a cup of tea.

I mean, she was kind of delusional to begin with. Strong belief in God, yet filled with starry eyed wonder at the possibly of meeting humanity's makers in the flesh. Logic wasn't her strong suit.

"It is what I choose to believe."
"Oh, that means it's true then. Well, you've shut me up."

Monocle

I think what I disliked about this film, in a nutshell, was its lack of ambition. Prometheus was an unforgivable mess but it shot for the stars. This aimed much lower and still missed the mark.
What mark did it miss? We got a continuation of David's arc taken to its logical extreme, a bunch of cool exploration, and the best and most gruesome alien action since the very first film.

Good stuff.

As stupid as Prometheus was - I think there's portions of my brain that are yet to switch back on after watching it - I don't think that's implied at all. What Shaw states is that she deserves answers for why the engineers wanted to create humanity and then wipe them out, and is going to get them. Just what she thinks she's going to do to get answers from a species of gigantic, aggressive, presumably incredibly intelligent space albinos is anyone's guess, but it's not implied she's expecting a sit down and a cup of tea.
Yep, exactly.

"It is what I choose to believe."
"Oh, that means it's true then. Well, you've shut me up."
I'll never fail to marvel at how flat out stupid this is.

"Hey guys I've chosen to believe in this random nonsense. Take me seriously!"

I went to see this last night, and I have to say I was pretty disappointed with it. I will probably want to watch it again and mull over it to say for sure (sometimes I have rewatched films and found them much better the second time around), but for now I felt it was really weak.

For the record I quite liked Prometheus, whilst the story and characters were often seen as flawed when scrutinised, I felt the movie still delivered a lot to like. The visuals were fantastic, the premise was intriguing and draws you in quite quickly, David was fascinating and a lot of the movie delivered a sense of mystery. The film from start to finish attempts to be grandiose and philosophical, and whilst it often falls short of delivering this, it at least asks some interesting questions, and gives the views some interesting ideas to think about (namely the whole Engineer - Human - David relationship). So whilst it isn't always successful, I at least appreciated what it tried to achieve, and some of the interesting things it did have to say. I also loved the way the movie tried to tear away from being an Alien film, instead trying to cover new ground by pushing the series mythology outward, opposed to retreading worn out areas. The ending also had me quite excited and intrigued, as it teased a sequel which seemed to head in a direction I could not anticipate, in my head I was thinking "Where are they going?, What kind of place awaits them?, How will the movie handle just having 2 characters?" and so on, so I couldn't wait to see where they took that initial set up.

So coming to Alien: Covenant I expected to really love it, only to come away from it disappointed, I actually think Prometheus was a better film. Right of the bat, I found the set up and premise of the movie to be somewhat slow, whilst the initial scene with David and Weyland was somewhat interesting, the opening seems to just exist to push the story forward towards the planet. I kinda got the impression they tried wanted to replicate the same sort of cold opening Alien had, but in this it just comes across as somewhat dull. In Alien it works because the movie has a sense of mystery and the audience do not quite know what to expect, this allows the movie to slowly build tension and dread, right through to the end. In Covenant, we know what to expect so the beginning just kinda fell flat for me.

In terms of characters, I feel they were arguably weaker than those in Prometheus. Whilst I quite liked Katherine Waterston's and Danny McBrides performances, I felt like I never really got to know them as characters. Billy Crudup's character seemed to show the promise of being interesting and 3 dimensional, but the movie doesn't really spend the time to take his character anywhere other than face hugger chow. Whilst Michael Fassbender gave great performances as Walter and David, I felt Walter wasn't particularly interesting due to the nature of his character (a less flawed version of David), and really only seemed to exist to service the scenes with David. David whilst still quite compelling, seemed a lot less interesting this time around. Outside a few scenes which still show him to be a bit of an enigma (such as the one where he releases the virus on the engineers), he for the most part seems predictable this time around. The rest of the characters just seem to exist to be munched on.

With regards to the aliens, they were just there to provide gore and horror. Whilst there were a couple of good scenes, such the back bursting scene, and the scene where the neomorph attacks the woman in the cave. They didn't really do anything new or surprising with them, they almost never provide much in the way of tension, and they certainly are no longer 'alien'. They feel tired and overdone at this point, without an ounce of what made them interesting in the first place. The movie doesn't even really let you be surprised by them any more, for example, I quite liked the scene where the neomorph confronts the woman in the cave before biting her head off, but the audience sees it coming because the film telegraphs it earlier. I also quite liked the way they showed the world from the perspective of an alien, but again, it squanders the idea and doesn't do anything interesting with it.

Visually the film seems like a step down from Ridley Scott's previous movies. Whilst there are occasionally some inventive scenes such as the scene when the airlock opens, and some of the space sections at the start, the rest of it feels pretty weak. This was one area in particular which I thought was a safe bet, so I was quite surprised to see this take such as large step down. With regards to the film score, I did quite like the use of the original soundtrack, though I feel they relied maybe a bit too heavily on it, which kinda strips the movies soundtrack of its own identity.

Overall I enjoyed it, but I can't help but see the film as squandered potential. The set up from Prometheus was squandered, the themes and any philosophy just felt really half assed, the film is devoid of significant tension, and whilst there are a few good gruesome horror moments much of it is comprised of things we have seen time and again. The film tries to course correct the series back into full on Alien prequel mode, so that it can cover the same ground as before, whilst removing any shred of mystery that remained with the Aliens. I came out of the theatre thinking how it is not really a movie I watch again, which just feels crazy as I am a huge fan of the series in general. I will eventually watch it again, if only to try and solidify my thoughts on it.

Just to add to my previous thoughts. After thinking a bit more about the movie, as well as Ridley Scott's other recent movies a couple of things kinda stand out to me. Firstly, I think Ridley Scott has become a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to horror and tension. There are some great scenes in both Prometheus and Covenant, but many of them rely on the unnerving gore, rather than genuine tension. Looking back at the original Alien, the whole movie was tense with a feeling of dread. There was a range of different scares and horror scenes, ranging from the original chest burster scene, which surprised both the crew and audience, and had come at a moment of presumed relative safety (eating breakfast); to the scenes in the vent where Scott slowly builds up to it and the audience know something is going to happen (yet still managed to get frightened anyway); to the scenes which creatively show the Alien lurking somewhere, such as hiding in the pipes, or up in the chains. These scenes always seemed particularly cool and inventive to me, the way he pretty much shows the alien allows for a great "holy shit it was there all along" moment for the audience when it makes its move. I felt the best use of tension on Covenant was the scene in cave, where the neomorph appears standing behind the woman, before biting her head off. I found the whole scene to be pretty unnerving, though even this scene was telegraphed by the earlier scene of the neomorph climbing into the building. Anyway, the whole movie just makes me feel Ridley Scott struggles to understand what made his original so great.

The other thing I noticed was that his movies really seem to live and die by their script. Looking at some of his recent movies, many of them, even those which have been received poorly, seem to still have great direction, acting, visuals and music, but get let down by the lack of compelling stories and characters.

Basically I still think Ridley Scott is a fantastic director, but he really needs to play to his strengths and avoid making movies with poor scripts.

Mr. Sam

What mark did it miss? We got a continuation of David's arc taken to its logical extreme, a bunch of cool exploration, and the best and most gruesome alien action since the very first film.

Good stuff.

To give a stream of consciousness answer:

It suffers from basically all the same problems Prometheus does, just to varying degrees.

Characters aren't as aggressively stupid - they still wander off alone and stick their faces into giant eggs at the behest of sinister androids - but they're just as, if not even more, anonymous. I wasn't sure who was dying. I understood they were all married, but not to who. I could identify Daniels (AKA proto-Ripley), Danny McBride (whose cowboy hat is the second closest thing the film comes to a character trait) and Christian Captain.

The alien origin is clarified, arguably in direct contradiction to Prometheus, but the clarification isn't really an improvement. I'm not really sure anyone knows what Prometheus was trying to say about the origin of the alien but I'm not sure I'm happier now I know an android made them from some sort of genetic papier mâché. OK, I know now, I understand, but I'd really rather I didn't - because that is Dumb.

Answers that were promised - primarily why the engineers suddenly got so genocidally pissed off with humans - never materialise, which I suppose is fine if you take the film as self-contained (which, considering the amount of threads it brings over from Prometheus, it's really not).

I keep seeing people say it's frightening and tense. Maybe it is and I've just got balls of steel. The only scene that stood out as tense to me was the backburster, which quickly became comical when everybody (and their backburster) slipped on the same patch of blood. The crane scene was confusingly shot, the climatic chase was hugely underwhelming and the alien POV in particular felt like a big misstep.

There's nothing like the "abortion" scene in Prometheus. Everything that lead up to, and from, that scene was hilariously contrived, but that was top notch body horror.

I don't see how anything is remotely comparable to Dallas' death in Alien, nor the finale showdown between Ripley and the alien. If I were felling generous, I'd say it was up to Alien 3's standard.

There's still this bizarre anti-Darwin thread running through the film. To paraphrase Weyland, "Evolution's a bit rubbish and it don't make no sense, innit." I feel like I'm supposed to admire the captain for his faith even though he's clearly a massive twat and not really qualified to be captain. Don't even get me started on how awkward the exposition is when he was to explain the company didn't want him as captain because he was a man of faith (mate, it's probably because you're a sweaty idiot). One can't accuse Scott of having a religious bias because his answer to what created humanity isn't God but giant space albinos who melted themselves into mush. It's basically Ancient Aliens: The Movie.

In the grand Alien tradition, it felt like an unholy hybrid between Prometheus and Alien 3, with none of the parts really meshing.

I couldn't find another Alien thread, so here goes....

Is the movie really as bad and boring as a lot of people are telling me? One even said it's worse than Prometheus and to be honest I enjoyed that one. I wouldn't call it fantastic but I did enjoy it. It would sadden me if Covenant really isn't all that. Come on man, it's Alien.

Is the movie really as bad and boring as a lot of people are telling me? One even said it's worse than Prometheus and to be honest I enjoyed that one. I wouldn't call it fantastic but I did enjoy it. It would sadden me if Covenant really isn't all that. Come on man, it's Alien.
I think there is more like mixed reactions to this, some hate, some love it and many are between. I would say if you are fan of Alien stuff, you can at least enjoy it for what it is.

I think there is more like mixed reactions to this, some hate, some love it and many are between. I would say if you are fan of Alien stuff, you can at least enjoy it for what it is.

I absolutely love Alien and Aliens. 3 was alright, let's forget about 4. Prometheus was more enjoyable than expected for me. But yeah, I love space, sci-fi and this whole setting and vibe it gives.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Okay but neither of those two scenes is as comical as a woman locking another woman in the quarantine room with an infected host about to birth an alien, and then after refusing to open the door when it was still safe, goes back and opens the door when it is clearly NOT safe, then SLIPS on blood like a jobber, runs out, and then proceeds to blow up the entire ship with a misfire.

I don't know. David telling Crudup

"It's perfectly safe"

"It's okay"

"Take a peak"

It's pretty hard to top. After just seeing your comrade decapitated by an Alien with David trying to tame it, telling you not to shoot it, walking through his experiments, him confessing to his crimes, etc.

The biggest issue between this and Prometheus wasn't fixed. It was made worse. Build up, tension, etc. Remember in the first flick, it took 40 minutes before the Alien showed up and 70 minutes before the actual Alien showed up. There is suspense. The kills are each built up too and worked into it. It's not, random girl says I'm going to go wash up and 30 seconds later is dead. It felt like we were getting that in the beginning. Characters were having a few moments, the chest busters were implanted, and like Aliens, the mission went fucked. Then David shows up and it basically turns into a break neck pace with everything. Reveals, deaths, etc. I saw it yesterday and barely can separate what happened. The girl who got decapped, her head was in the flick longer than she was.

If we want to compare it past ones, it's not even as good as Resurrection. A member of the cast dies, one gets pulled under the cage, another drowned, etc. But it has some build up. It's not a good flick, but it works. This is just, we need someone to go die now. Pick a number from the faceless cast.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Man the biggest disappointment was no 3D

I bought my IMAX ticket for dat 3D love, remember seeing Prometheus in 3D,it was jawdroppping. I didnt even read anything on the ticket, i just assumed it was in 3D.

what the fuckkk, it wasnt. Then I searched and turns out this movie was not in 3D anywhere. How, why I just dont get it.

And th3 stupid part was there were some trailers before the movie in 3D. Homecoming, hulk and transformers. We had to watch that without glasses.

Snaku

Banned

Assuming this was the Engineer homeworld, I'd presume that they have other ships docked. David could have loaded them up with eggs and sent them to seed other worlds.

Sir Doom

It's like Prometheus. Movie came out people hate it some liked it
Covenant came out. Everybody loves Prometheus
So when the next comes out. Covenant will be good because the new one sucks

rgoulart

Assuming this was the Engineer homeworld, I'd presume that they have other ships docked. David could have loaded them up with eggs and sent them to seed other worlds.

About the "homeworld" thing.

I was thinking about Prometheus again and something struck me so that I can make some sense out of this. The ship they find in Prometheus, the one filled with the black goo, has been sitting there for 2000 years and there's only one Engineer alive in the cryochambers. Then Elizabeth and David take that ship and go to what they (and us) believe is the Engineer's homeworld.

Upon arrival, we see that there's not much technology in sight and the Engineers there seem to be like "ancient greeks" or something on that level based on their robes, architecture and lack of technology. They seem surprised and in awe at the ship's arrival. Which leads me to believe something happened in those 2000 years that made them behave this way. Maybe they no longer possess the technology to go off-world or even advanced technology at all and they obviously thought it was some ancient members of their kind on that ship, which would explain their reactions. I'm fine if that's the case, 2000 years seems like a very long time if we look at our own history as a civilized species.

The only problem I have with that is the opening scene of Prometheus. That's gotta be millions or billions of years ago if they created life on earth. If a species so advanced can remain technologically advanced from that time until 2000 years ago, I have a hard time believing they vanished in those 2000 years between the recordings found in Prometheus and David arriving in their "homeworld"

"Total garbage cgi" seems to nowadawys basically be code for effects that look cgi, which is reductive that it's become meaningless. There are films with awful cgi, Covenant is not one of them.

That said, I do think some of the cgi creations were jarring. Especially the chestburster(s) since we all have that reference of the one from Alien, and that was a perfect use of practical effects.

I have no idea as to why they changed the chest bursters from the serpent like creature in ALIEN into the little skinny dancing meme factory we go in this movie....

Top Bottom