• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Covenant |SPOILER THREAD| With more Christian subtext than BvS

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
"I'm beginning to suspect you're a psychopathic android and the reason half my crew was wiped out."

"Oh sure, sure but hey you mind taking a look at that egg?"

"This egg right here? Well I don't see any harm in that."

"Yeah just a little closer..."

"Alrighty roo"

Hahaha that scene was dumber than everything that was stupid in Prometheus combined. Buddy just saw this dude talk with a creature that was eating one of his crewmates. He was informed by said dude of all the fucked up shit he's been up to for the past 10 years. Yet after all of that, "you said sticking my head into the egg is safe right?"

so this was two movies forced into one right?

the story ridley scott CLEARLY wanted to tell which was David's story

and the homage to the original alien with Daniels basically a walking ripley throw back.

I'm glad people finally get to watch the biggest disappointment of the summer at home.

Watching it for the 2nd time at home made me appreciate the movie more. Its a 7/10 film and I'd probably put it equal to Prometheus. It isn't as arty but it is less aggravating.

The slipping on the blood just made my eyes roll.

I also knew that David was pretending to be Walter when they got on the ship. I'm just amazed that David was able to cut his hair, reattach his hand, and repair any damage he suffered with a knife in under 5 minutes.

Fuck this movie.

Blood is slippery. Ever been in a room after a C-Section? Ugh.

David doesn't put his hand back on or repair the damage. He is clearly still missing it at the end and retains the bandages on his face.

I hope you don't think a woman getting a C Section is a clean process. The blood gets fucking everywhere. Not in volumes but it does land on the floor, hit the walls and is all over the tools and other things. I went into the room both times, back to my wife which is why I know it travels well enough from the bed. That's a controlled bleed, let alone a thing bursting from someone's body.

I hope you don't think a woman getting a C Section is a clean process. The blood gets fucking everywhere. Not in volumes but it does land on the floor, hit the walls and is all over the tools and other things. I went into the room both times, back to my wife which is why I know it travels well enough from the bed. That's a controlled bleed, let alone a thing bursting from someone's body.

Yeah honestly the reaction to the blood slipping pretty dumb, I thought it was pretty great, it's something you don't see often in horror movies, usually they trip over something dumb, at least it made sense here, the dude's fucking back exploded, there's going to be blood all over the damn place, and of course someone's gonna slip when running from a foreign lifeform.

Unfortunately though for me that scene is just about the only one that worked for me in the whole film, everything else just lacked tension.

Yeah honestly the reaction to the blood slipping pretty dumb, I thought it was pretty great, it's something you don't see often in horror movies, usually they trip over something dumb, at least it made sense here, the dude's fucking back exploded, there's going to be blood all over the damn place, and of course someone's gonna slip when running from a foreign lifeform.

Unfortunately though for me that scene is just about the only one that worked for me in the whole film, everything else just lacked tension.

The part where
David "kills" Walter got me hard and it made jump like a girl, despite the fact I was anticipating it. Also, the face Walter makes when it happens was very creepy.
I really liked that scene.

Oh, also I don't get the hate for the blood slipping. It felt pretty plausible to me.

Kazuhira

I still think that's Walter's body with David's mind,maybe he will have a split personality in the next movie.
Maybe walter will come back for a brief moment to release Daniels and the other guy from cryo-sleep.
I just don't want Daniels to die the same way that Shaw did.
so this was two movies forced into one right?

the story ridley scott CLEARLY wanted to tell which was David's story

and the homage to the original alien with Daniels basically a walking ripley throw back.

David is Ripley,he is always the last survivor.
These movies are about him because he is the main character and i really don't see any throwback to Ripley with Daniels.

I enjoyed Prometheus and liked it a lot.

This though? How these engineers have all this technology but can't prevent their own ship from deploying their own weapons against their own people by aliens? That shit don't have any authorization protocols?

And don't get me started on the rest:

Hey let's just change course "just cause".

Who needs helmets anyways.

No drones to do bio scans for a few days before you set foot out there?

This Android mofo just stood directly in front of an alien that killed my crew and yelled at me when I shot the bitch. Sure I'll follow you downstairs.

Let me walk 600 yards to go pee and wash my face after a bunch of us just got got and we just walked through a graveyard with burnt corpses. Perfect moment for alone time.

I'm a good robot but this other robot talking crazy shit. Let me not peace out to alert the crew he's lying.

I'd have killed both those robots at the end. Just to be sure.

Just ridiculous.

The first Alien film I've not been bothered about watching. I got it now, I skipped through a few frames, looked bad. My optimism for the franchise is now at an all time low.

Wake me up when they've clawed the franchise from Ridley Scotts cold dead hands and given it to someone else.

So I just saw one of the special features in which
David, in a message to Weyland Corp, reveals his plans to use Daniels to create his 'Queen'. He says that the Queen is the "one thing that's missing".

I would imagine that the Queen's origin is planned to be an element of the next film's plot.

Hahaha that scene was dumber than everything that was stupid in Prometheus combined. Buddy just saw this dude talk with a creature that was eating one of his crewmates. He was informed by said dude of all the fucked up shit he's been up to for the past 10 years. Yet after all of that, "you said sticking my head into the egg is safe right?"

Hahahaha, yep. Movie was dumb as fuck.

The last page of this thread is making me chuckle remembering how inane some of this stuff was. Movie was also drab and visually one of the most boring sci-fi films I've seen. It was sooooo dark!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So I just saw one of the special features in which
David, in a message to Weyland Corp, reveals his plans to use Daniels to create his 'Queen'. He says that the Queen is the "one thing that's missing".

I would imagine that the Queen's origin is planned to be an element of the next film's plot.

leia-hans-death-gif.gif

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Objectively Covenant is not good. In fact its pretty bad.

That said, I quite enjoyed it in a cheesy/ironic sort of way.
How could I hate a movie which is basically Frankenstein creates Aliens?
More so than Prometheus which to me fell between two stools really, not quite getting there as a hard SF piece, or an Alien prequel.

Its a bit sad to see the trajectory of Scott's work on the franchise; the original being a case of young hungry director taking B-movie material and elevating it way beyond expectations. Whereas Covenant is just a trashy B-movie with a big budget, full of scenes you'd expect from a mid-80's Italian 80's rip-off.

C-section GAF here! My wife had our youngest by emergency caesarean, and I was in the theatre throughout (I was only asked to leave when she lost consciousness after delivering) and my God, does the blood get around. The smell also stuck with me - not quite as overpowering as when our twin girls were born, but the smell of blood *everywhere* is intense.

The Guy In Red

Neo Member
I just had an epiphany guys.

Alien v Predator takes place in early 2000s and the Xenomorphs are shown to exists since ancient Egypt. Whereas David creates the Xenos in the year 2104?

Does this mean Alien: Covenant is BS or am I supposed to ignore AvP?

P.S. I enjoyed AvP more than Covenant

sfedai0

Banned
I saw this a week back and can barely recall anything of substance from this movie. Suffice to say, it was pretty damn disappointing. It felt like a made for tv episode because there literally was no real progression on the actual storyline while throwing us come pretty damn predictable plot. Glad I didnt waste money watching this in the theater.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I enjoyed Prometheus and liked it a lot.

This though? How these engineers have all this technology but can't prevent their own ship from deploying their own weapons against their own people by aliens? That shit don't have any authorization protocols?

And don't get me started on the rest:

Hey let's just change course "just cause".

Who needs helmets anyways.

No drones to do bio scans for a few days before you set foot out there?

This Android mofo just stood directly in front of an alien that killed my crew and yelled at me when I shot the bitch. Sure I'll follow you downstairs.

Let me walk 600 yards to go pee and wash my face after a bunch of us just got got and we just walked through a graveyard with burnt corpses. Perfect moment for alone time.

I'm a good robot but this other robot talking crazy shit. Let me not peace out to alert the crew he's lying.

I'd have killed both those robots at the end. Just to be sure.

Just ridiculous.

Sums it up exactly Mammoth!

My BIGGEST gripe is that they're landing on an alien planet that they WERE NOT prepared to go to and DID NOT wear bio-suit/haz mat suit type uniforms and air tanks.

The writing was simply atrocious.

It's one movie where the script sinks an otherwise beautifully shot, great cast, great special effects effort.

I can't believe Ridley signed off on the script. Just not good.

Alien v Predator takes place in early 2000s and the Xenomorphs are shown to exists since ancient Egypt. Whereas David creates the Xenos in the year 2104?

I think you're joking, but yes, you're supposed to ignore AvP.

Even though it's a better movie than Covenant.

AVP is not better than Covenant. Come on. AVP is a piece of shit. Its barely watchable.

I'm also a bit baffled as to how Prometheus is better? Everything about this movie is better than Prometheus. Crew dynamics and tension. It was a wet fart in Prometheus. Zero chemistry. Those crew members in Prometheus were fucking atrocious.

The first half hour of Covenant is pretty good. The crew members are cool. Their chemistry and tension is really good. Prometheus just half heartedly hinted at a story and themes. Covenant deals with the robot far more, and its pretty cool.

The idea of an evil Fassbinder robot against a good one is great.

I think nitpicking the science is silly. It's a sci fi monster movie. Are the characters cool? Are scenes tense? Those are the important questions.

Its a serviceable sci fi horror movie. And its far better than Prometheus. They even address the whole, why do crew members get emotional, by making them all family members, which is a great idea. Makes the actions much more believable and loaded with drama. Everything about this movie is systematically better than Prometheus. I think it's kinda cool actually.

C-section GAF here! My wife had our youngest by emergency caesarean, and I was in the theatre throughout (I was only asked to leave when she lost consciousness after delivering) and my God, does the blood get around. The smell also stuck with me - not quite as overpowering as when our twin girls were born, but the smell of blood *everywhere* is intense.

Is this a meme? Saw my wife going through one less than a year ago, and not a drop of blood went to the floor. Not sure if we were lucky, now that i'm reading your experiences.

Is this a meme? Saw my wife going through one less than a year ago, and not a drop of blood went to the floor. Not sure if we were lucky, now that i'm reading your experiences.

Not a meme :) Maybe they just do things messier over here in Scotland! By comparison, our twins were delivered incredibly cleanly - not a great deal of blood, though the placenta was this huge, undersea-looking thing...

I'm more commenting on your volunteering your wife's real life C-section as a valid comparison point for the gore quotient (and quality) in a space movie where gooey sharkmonsters pop out of a person's back.

"I don't know why people are laughing at all this slippage, I'm a reporter, I've covered C-sections before"

It was not an angle I was expecting to see used as a means to defend the film, is all

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Does the blu ray have any extras of worth?

There's a making of doc that is ok but not as interesting or as in-depth as the one for Prometheus. There's also some extended/deleted scenes, Advent (David describing his experiments in a message to Weyland corp) and several trailers. The main feature has a commentary by Scott.

So, is the film good or bad? I've just bought it and going to watch tonight

It's not the worst in the franchise, so it has that going for it. Much better than Alien 3, Resurrection, and both AVP's

I found it pretty damn entertaining and am looking forward to the 4k Blu Ray

GhaleonEB

Did you like Prometheus? This is lacking the good visuals, ideas, cohesion (ahem) and intelligent crew members (AHEM) of it, throws out the central ideas behind it, abandons the story it was telling and misunderstands that film's issues. It's an awful, messy movie, but might be worth seeing from the the standpoint of a chronicle of Scott slowly losing his marbles.

It's a shit show, but a semi-fascinating one.

AlStrong

Clearly time travel will be involved.

xrnzaaas

The movie was horrible and I started watching it with low expectations. Geez, what should I begin with... major plot holes (turbo xenomorph growth was my "favorite" one), bland Covenant crew that acts more idiotic than the Prometheus crew, boring ass scenes that desperately needed a fast forward button, pointless Franco cameo, final twist you could see miles away and, most of all, zero tension and genuine terror when it comes to dealing with xenomorphs (by the way the fpp view was probably the worst idea they've come up with, stuff like this is only acceptable in video games when you're playing as the alien).

R-User!

It's a one-off watch if you like experiencing the Alien film franchise.

It's not memorable in a good way and it doesn't really have much chance of standing the test of time. I'd say about 40-45% of it is enjoyable.

sjboi

Just saw this movie, it was terrible. I enjoyed Prometheus (except for Charlize Theron's stupid death scene). Covenant sucked and retroactively made Prometheus even worse. No suspense whatsoever and the worst action sequence imaginable at the end of the movie. 100 flaws I won't bother to list.

I liked it, but I liked Prometheus (sorry, GAF). I think it was an interesting sequel to Prometheus, even with its flaws. Fassbender's great, the soundtrack is underrated as hell imho (sets a fantastic mood).

Zabka

Billy Crudup's character is DUMB AS FUCK. The characters in Leprechaun in Space were smarter than these idiots.

Hagi

Billy Crudup's character is DUMB AS FUCK. The characters in Leprechaun in Space were smarter than these idiots.

His character was pretty shit yeah. His whole the company doesn't like me because I'm religious thing made me scratch my head a bit and then he willingly gazed in to the abyss so to speak and I was thinking, well actually maybe they don't trust you because you are a fucking idiot.

Top Bottom