• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

frontovik

Banned
The DLC maps such as Corporate Lockdown are bonus maps for Survivor Mode. Unfortunately, there's no dialogue or meaningful plot development in those episodes.

I thought it was a missed opportunity for CA to allow the players to experience the horrors of Sevastapol from a key character's perspective before Ripley arrived on the station. They should've included cutscenes and interaction with other survivors to reveal more about the story.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The DLC maps such as Corporate Lockdown are bonus maps for Survivor Mode. Unfortunately, there's no dialogue or meaningful plot development in those episodes.

I thought it was a missed opportunity for CA to allow the players to experience the horrors of Sevastapol from a key character's perspective before Ripley arrived on the station. They should've included cutscenes and interaction with other survivors to reveal more about the story.

So the other DLC are all Survivor maps?

I'm on mission 16, backtracking for stuff but it seems like most doors have no power. So, what's going on there? I keep reading to use that mission for item cleanup, but half the fucking doors won't open. Really sick of sneaking my way to the next ID tag or whatever only to find another door without power preventing me from getting it.

Szadek

I have the game for a while now,but I couldn't play it properly,because the TV in my other apparment sucks ass.
Didn't mind paying full price back then,because I mostly did it to support the genre more than anything else.
Finally have access to a better TV and I hopefully can start really playing this game now.

strafer

I have the game for a while now,but I couldn't play it properly,because the TV in my other apparment sucks ass.
Didn't mind paying full price back then,because I mostly did it to support the genre more than anything else.
Finally have access to a better TV and I hopefully can start really playing this game now.

At night with headphones or a good surround sound.

I think I'm on Chapter 12 now;
I'm helping Samuels to do a hard reset on APOLLO in order to shut down the rogue droids. I didn't realise until just now that Samuels was himself a WY synthetic, so I'm guessing once he has control of the station he'll do something to retrieve the science lab under orders to secure the alien for Weyland Yutani
. Because we've got
another six chapters
to go still and I can't imagine that whole time will be avoiding droids.

I'm helping Samuels to do a hard reset on APOLLO in order to shut down the rogue droids. I didn't realise until just now that Samuels was himself a WY synthetic, so I'm guessing once he has control of the station he'll do something to retrieve the science lab under orders to secure the alien for Weyland Yutani
. Because we've got
another six chapters

Not commenting anything but I enjoy reading your speculations about the plot. Keep 'em coming. :)

Cudder

I'm on mission 16, backtracking for stuff but it seems like most doors have no power. So, what's going on there? I keep reading to use that mission for item cleanup, but half the fucking doors won't open. Really sick of sneaking my way to the next ID tag or whatever only to find another door without power preventing me from getting it.

You have to get to the tram station that connects to the different towers.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
. Because we've got
another six chapters

Did you post this DURING that actual sequence? It's pretty damn clear what happens to Samuels once that sequence ends. Before you even leave the room.....you will know.

Did you post this DURING that actual sequence? It's pretty damn clear what happens to Samuels once that sequence ends. Before you even leave the room.....you will know.

I had left it at the save point right outside the room.

Anyway, I'm on chapter 14 now, and holy fuck did this go in an unexpected direction. I just want to say that I salute anyone who manages to get the One Shot trophy/achievement. I cannot begin to entertain the idea of finishing this without dying.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I had left it at the save point right outside the room.

Anyway, I'm on chapter 14 now, and holy fuck did this go in an unexpected direction. I just want to say that I salute anyone who manages to get the One Shot trophy/achievement. I cannot begin to entertain the idea of finishing this without dying.

It's really not that hard. You just restart before you get killed.
If you get killed before you can reload a save, you can reload a previous save.

Worst case you can reload the chapter.

Quick question here. I see that Alien Isolation is at a really good price on the Xbox One store and I'm thinking of jumping in! Does anybody have any experience with the Kinect features? Do they work well?

Well, I'm done. I had the house to myself last night and I absolutely binged on this. Must have put another five hours into it;
the pacing in this game was all over the place. It felt like it would have made for a brilliant ten hour game with tight fast pacing, but felt very stretched out and at times tedious over the 20-ish hours it took me. I really liked the beginning where it takes a few hours to subtly introduce the alien and you don't get a proper look at it for ages, but I felt like there were real peaks and troughs after that. Ideally I think the game should have ended after Ripley detached the science lab with the alien inside; ramp that sequence up to make it a bit more of a finale, and then maybe have one more mission of shutting down or avoiding the androids while trying to escape the space station. I also think the game made a big mistake of putting you in the alien nest, having Ripley destroy that nest and then it drops you back in the station for another 3 or 4 missions of walking slowly and avoiding things while ducking under desks. You can't ramp things up like that in a big exciting sequence and then just switch back to mundane gameplay that you've already done 10+ hours of. It just doesn't work, and BioShock made the same mistake after you find out the big twist and then you've got another hour or two of walking through derelict city fighting Splicers. Also, if there was a huge nest on board the station with dozens if not hundreds of eggs, does that mean the original alien which came on board was a queen? Seems a bit far fetched.

I dunno man, I did really enjoy it and it's probably a solid 8/10 for me, but this is one of those games which could have used some heavy editing to make a tighter and more memorable experience. It should leave me hungry for more when I finish, not begging for it to end two-thirds through. That being said, I loved the EVA stuff and it has some of the best sound design ever. I cannot overstate how much I loved the audio design; everything from the sound effects to the voice acting and the music was amazing. I don't follow videogame awards shows really, but I hope this got a BAFTA or something for its sound design because it's incredible. The visuals were also amazing and the animation in particular was excellent. Faces looked a bit odd (uncanny valley) but the environments were also amazing and a really faithful recreation of a Nostromo-style ship from Alien. They look and feel convincing and logical, although there's a weird absence of any toilets. Wonderful fire effects too. As a side note, I found it a bit sadistic by how much they hurt Ripley. Felt like Tomb Raider levels of abuse, given the number of times she falls, is thrown and goes through near-death experiences.

Anyway, a great game overall with really only one big problem as far as I'm concerned. I really hope Creative Assembly get another chance to make an Alien game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well, I'm done. I had the house to myself last night and I absolutely binged on this. Must have put another five hours into it;
the pacing in this game was all over the place. It felt like it would have made for a brilliant ten hour game with tight fast pacing, but felt very stretched out and at times tedious over the 20-ish hours it took me. I really liked the beginning where it takes a few hours to subtly introduce the alien and you don't get a proper look at it for ages, but I felt like there were real peaks and troughs after that. Ideally I think the game should have ended after Ripley detached the science lab with the alien inside; ramp that sequence up to make it a bit more of a finale, and then maybe have one more mission of shutting down or avoiding the androids while trying to escape the space station. I also think the game made a big mistake of putting you in the alien nest, having Ripley destroy that nest and then it drops you back in the station for another 3 or 4 missions of walking slowly and avoiding things while ducking under desks. You can't ramp things up like that in a big exciting sequence and then just switch back to mundane gameplay that you've already done 10+ hours of. It just doesn't work, and BioShock made the same mistake after you find out the big twist and then you've got another hour or two of walking through derelict city fighting Splicers. Also, if there was a huge nest on board the station with dozens if not hundreds of eggs, does that mean the original alien which came on board was a queen? Seems a bit far fetched.

I dunno man, I did really enjoy it and it's probably a solid 8/10 for me, but this is one of those games which could have used some heavy editing to make a tighter and more memorable experience. It should leave me hungry for more when I finish, not begging for it to end two-thirds through. That being said, I loved the EVA stuff and it has some of the best sound design ever. I cannot overstate how much I loved the audio design; everything from the sound effects to the voice acting and the music was amazing. I don't follow videogame awards shows really, but I hope this got a BAFTA or something for its sound design because it's incredible. The visuals were also amazing and the animation in particular was excellent. Faces looked a bit odd (uncanny valley) but the environments were also amazing and a really faithful recreation of a Nostromo-style ship from Alien. They look and feel convincing and logical, although there's a weird absence of any toilets. Wonderful fire effects too. As a side note, I found it a bit sadistic by how much they hurt Ripley. Felt like Tomb Raider levels of abuse, given the number of times she falls, is thrown and goes through near-death experiences.

Anyway, a great game overall with really only one big problem as far as I'm concerned. I really hope Creative Assembly get another chance to make an Alien game.

I felt this way about the end of the game at first, but after I did my second playthrough and knew my way around, my feelings about the game being too long went away for the most part. After Chapter 14, the game started to incorporate a bit more of an Aliens feel instead of Alien. The game was still Alien in design, but after Chapter 14 the game felt 75% Alien and 25% Aliens. Some will argue that though.

yes, there was a queen in the reactor. The writers have confirmed that was the intention. They chose not to show the queen because they felt the player would be expected to face off against the queen. They felt such a move would move the tone too far from Alien, a decision that I agree with. As for which Alien became the queen is unknown, but can easily be explained depending on what lore you choose to follow. In regards to eggs being all over the station, I did feel that one final sequence was a bit of a stretch, but the drones are supposed to move eggs around. The area around Seegson Communications did make sense when you consider that the entire area was controlled by androids.

Cool, thanks for the explanation. I definitely agree that it was best they kept any
Queen
out of the game, as that definitely would have felt too much like
Aliens
. I thought the
nest section
was excellent and they were thankfully restrained enough that it didn't ever get schlocky.

strafer

One thing that I have wondered though is how the Xenos are able to breath in space? As seen in the end there when they ambush you

One thing that I have wondered though is how the Xenos are able to breath in space? As seen in the end there when they ambush you

I wondered that too.
I take it they have no respiratory system or at least an extremely hardy one suited to multiple different atmospheres, because the eggs were able to survive on LV-426 in the first film. Unless it's implied that the fog + thin line of light protects them; it's been years since I watched it.

Spasm

Just picked it up on sale for Xbone... a couple of questions.

What's with the input lag? I realize it's not an action game, but still, it's irritating.

The third or fourth objective in the game is go to the bridge for briefing. I go there, nothing happens. Reload save and go there, nothing happens. Explore every single accessible inch... nothing. What am I supposed to do?

Hex

Banned
Alright folks.
Have not played this yet and I want to.
I have a new desktop coming in next week, but I also have a PS4 and a nice 52" Bravia.
Where do I want to dive in?

Jobbs

Banned
Alright folks.
Have not played this yet and I want to.
I have a new desktop coming in next week, but I also have a PS4 and a nice 52" Bravia.
Where do I want to dive in?

Whichever gets you better access to quality sound. The game through pulse elites/golds was pretty friggin' gripping.

The sound design is truly outstanding in this game, so you need to hear it as well as possible. It'll look better on a good PC, probably, but it won't be an enormous difference. It still looks great on PS4.

realzzz

Neo Member
Whichever gets you better access to quality sound. The game through pulse elites/golds was pretty friggin' gripping.

The sound design is truly outstanding in this game, so you need to hear it as well as possible. It'll look better on a good PC, probably, but it won't be an enormous difference. It still looks great on PS4.

+1

I played on a PC with a pair of quality headset's and it was a terrifying experience ! And the game is really well optimized as well !

I went for Alien: Isolation. I'm hoping the Kinect features work, I'd love the "peak around a corner" option to work well with it.

Tell us how the "I got scared and said ohmygod in real life and the alien in game heard it and ate me" works too. :)

I know the alien wont actually eat it's victims

I'd say leave the survivor mode alone before having beat, or at least having gotten far in the main game. You don't want to spoil anything about the gameplaay and the alien!

Ah! Thanks for the tip. I may have tried it a bit on a friend's PC though, but it's been a while. I'll go ahead and play the story mode first.

Played this game last night. Damn it's wrecking my nerves and I didn't even meet anything! I played it in dark room, with headphones on and fairly close to the screen on my Xbox One.

The Kinect headtracking works really good. I simply press LB and lean left/right to take a peak around corners or lean forwards when crouching behind a box/table to peek over it. Made the whole experience even more immersive imo. It was so scary sitting behind a crate, leaning to one side and peeping further down a dark lit corridor. I love the distant noises from machinery and metal bending. The sudden noisy sounds nearby me really made me jump. So far I'm very impressed by the atmosphere in this game.

strafer

Played this game last night. Damn it's wrecking my nerves and I didn't even meet anything! I played it in dark room, with headphones on and fairly close to the screen on my Xbox One.

The Kinect headtracking works really good. I simply press LB and lean left/right to take a peak around corners or lean forwards when crouching behind a box/table to peek over it. Made the whole experience even more immersive imo. It was so scary sitting behind a crate, leaning to one side and peeping further down a dark lit corridor. I love the distant noises from machinery and metal bending. The sudden noisy sounds nearby me really made me jump. So far I'm very impressed by the atmosphere in this game.

Did you reach your first train car?
dat waiting

Did you reach your first train car?
dat waiting
Not yet! I'll be playing more this evening!

Update: I've been playing a couple more hours now and the game is just getting better and better. I've met the Alien for the first time too, my heart was racing! I almost just froze in a corner, paralysed of fear! Dat atmosphere!

Feel like I'm actually in Ridley Scott's masterpiece movie!

Meneses

Started playing this at night, with headphones on, and it's one of the most tense experiences I ever had.

Listening to steps getting closer and closer while you're hiding somewhere and feeling helpless... damn, my heart is racing most of the time.

Also, not far into the game, the first time I had to
wait for the train car to arrive
was nerve-wracking.

I'm in chapter 5 now and holy shit, dat tension.

Not yet! I'll be playing more this evening!

Update: I've been playing a couple more hours now and the game is just getting better and better. I've met the Alien for the first time too, my heart was racing! I almost just froze in a corner, paralysed of fear! Dat atmosphere!

Feel like I'm actually in Ridley Scott's masterpiece movie!

Started playing this at night, with headphones on, and it's one of the most tense experiences I ever had.

Listening to steps getting closer and closer while you're hiding somewhere and feeling helpless... damn, my heart is racing most of the time.

Also, not far into the game, the first time I had to
wait for the train car to arrive
was nerve-wracking.

I'm in chapter 5 now and holy shit, dat tension.

Just a warning: chapter 10. Fucking chapter 10!!

Completed that chapter a couple of days ago, I've been doing a playthrough on Hard for fun ya know, and that chapter is one of the best experiences I ever had in a game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just a warning: chapter 10. Fucking chapter 10!!

Completed that chapter a couple of days ago, I've been doing a playthrough on Hard for fun ya know, and that chapter is one of the best experiences I ever had in a game.

If you've made it to Chapter 10 on hard, you've proven that you can handle anything the game throws at you.

ruxtpin

Banned
Ay - I asked this in a LTTP thread, but there's no game mode available to just explore the ship is there? I'm halfway thru, but really just want to wander the ship and take in the gorgeous art design and direction.

Ay - I asked this in a LTTP thread, but there's no game mode available to just explore the ship is there? I'm halfway thru, but really just want to wander the ship and take in the gorgeous art design and direction.

What a great idea! I'd love a mode like this too!

You can either try restarting on the Novice difficulty or just start Chapter 16 again and free roam. On that chapter the Alien should not bother you one bit.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You can either try restarting on the Novice difficulty or just start Chapter 16 again and free roam. On that chapter the Alien should not bother you one bit.

The alien will still show up on Novice. But if you do free roam it will be rare and you more or less will be fine, but it DOES show up.

Top Bottom