• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

I think the mistake people make with this game is either they try to approach it like CoD OR they try to play it TOO carefully and are always waiting for the perfect moment when in this game there is no such thing.

What people don't realize is that the game actually encourages you to take chances and that more often than not the best option is to say "fuck it" and just go and always always always be on the move. Once you figure that out, the difficulty decreases immeasurably.
That's a very good way to put it.

A little thing makes no sense in Mission 7.

In Mission 7, there is a part where you need to activate an android. In order to do that, you need a Lvl2 Security Access Tuner. Now, what bugs me is that the terminal you need to hack shows a "1" on its display. Why is that, doesn't it show the REQUIRED level for you to hack something? I visited this before I got the "turn on android's power supply" objective by the way, then I got it and picked up the S. A. T. upgrade on my way back to the terminal if that matters.

edit:
The alien literally never appeared in Mission 7. I just went to Solomon's Habitation Towers after dispatching a scripted gang of humans (placed molotov + threw smoke bomb + ran to the exit) but I have not seen the Alien since that blast at the end of Mission 6 when a sudden explosion throws it away. Was there a bug or something?

Catdaddy

Bought at launch and made it to Mission 12 or 13, before I got caught up in the other late 2014 releases. I decided to start over and after playing for a while, can't believe I stopped playing, this is one of the best games I've played in recent years (mainly cause it's different than all the open world/ linear games I still enjoy). Also one of the few games that I have to take regular breaks from just to bring my heartrate down.

AmyS

Heh! This makes me chuckle :)

Future Games I'd Like to See

Last Change: 27/Sep/2004

3hzqaVZ.gif

What if you could play a game that was visually as good as your eyes can see? Or at worst indistinguishable from real life? (the two are not the same). Imagine a VR Aliens game, etc. Far fetched? Not at all. Commercial high-end systems that can generate these kind of images in real-time will exist by 2003 (certainly military ones will). By 2012, you'll be able to buy a games console that can do it (certainly by 2015).

http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/futrgms.html

They were right on the money :) it happened in 2014, 2015.

Mission 10...

I came as far as the plasma torch upgrade but died twice. I have to say that Gemini Exoplanet Labs is definitely my favorite level so far by design. The beautiful white walls, ceilings and floors, varied lighting, ample hiding spots, that one WJ calling command behind the first plasma torch door... I'm loving this level, especially with the flamethrower, which I fell in love with.

Nvzman

I wish I could finish this game, but unfortunately I hit a game-breaking bug. At the end of Chapter 15,
when you are fleeing the exploding ship, after I enter the cockpit to travel to the Nostromo
, the game just randomly spawns me in the transit system, instead of the correct place. If I try to reload the chapter, it just places me back at
the elevator going down after talking with APOLLO
. I really wish I could finish the game, I tried everything and it never spawns me correctly :(
I'm on PS4 btw

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I wish I could finish this game, but unfortunately I hit a game-breaking bug. At the end of Chapter 15,
when you are fleeing the exploding ship, after I enter the cockpit to travel to the Nostromo
, the game just randomly spawns me in the transit system, instead of the correct place. If I try to reload the chapter, it just places me back at
the elevator going down after talking with APOLLO
. I really wish I could finish the game, I tried everything and it never spawns me correctly :(
I'm on PS4 btw

Yes, that is a bug, but there is a solution.

Restart Chapter 15 and simply don't die and do not save once you arrive in the certain area. that can only be accessed in chapter 15.
Its a short chapter and there is really only one part you have to make sure you arent caught by surprise

Nvzman

Yes, that is a bug, but there is a solution.

Restart Chapter 15 and simply don't die and do not save once you arrive in the certain area. that can only be accessed in chapter 15.
Its a short chapter and there is really only one part you have to make sure you arent caught by surprise
That's my point. Every time I try to reload chapter 15 it wouldn't spawn me at chapter 15, it would spawn me at
the elevator after APOLLO
My game is FUBAR'd even worse than most others'.
But thank you regardless.

Just started playing this on PC. I liked it at first.. but then the alien showed up. Now it's all about hiding in lockers and being scared. I kinda love it and hate it at the same time lol.

Also damn it looks good, I'm playing it maxed at 4k with a smooth 80 fps (980 ti) Feels like I'm in the movie at times.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Just started playing this on PC. I liked it at first.. but then the alien showed up. Now it's all about hiding in lockers and being scared. I kinda love it and hate it at the same time lol.

Also damn it looks good, I'm playing it maxed at 4k with a smooth 80 fps (980 ti) Feels like I'm in the movie at times.
lights off.
headphones.

you're welcome

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That's my point. Every time I try to reload chapter 15 it wouldn't spawn me at chapter 15, it would spawn me at
the elevator after APOLLO
My game is FUBAR'd even worse than most others'.
But thank you regardless.

Did you try reloading it from the main menu so that it starts you at the beginning of Chapter 15? I am assuming yes, but I have to ask anyway.

Nvzman

Did you try reloading it from the main menu so that it starts you at the beginning of Chapter 15? I am assuming yes, but I have to ask anyway.
Yes, I did.
I even restarted the game. It still booted me up at that section. Today I finally decided to brave through it and get back to chapter 16 without saving. And because I didn't save, it let me proceed to the next part without issue, meaning I don't have the bug anymore. Thank you for your help though :)

I think I might abandon this game a couple hours in.

I picked up the tuner in front of the elevator and ran back out of the room when the other people came running in. Now I'm supposed to find a data cell, and it looks like I'm supposed to go back through that room, but if I enter crouched down they immediately see me and start shooting. I can't lure them out of the room, and after a dozen attempts I'm done trying to sneak past.

All I have is a flare and they see me before I can distract them with it. There are rewire stations in the room, but again they see me as soon as I enter.

Edit: OK I killed one of them finally and he dropped his gun but I can't use it for no apparent reason and was shot trying to pick it up. This game sucks.

Are they magic guns? Is it because I'm a woman? I seriously don't get it.

Edit 2: I beat that part by abusing the enemy ai and wrenching 4 people stuck together. I'm still done with this game. Terrible stealth mechanics and enemy ai.

Also, my pockets are now bulging with revolver ammo and there are revolvers littering the floor, but I still can't pick one up for unknown reasons. Still on a space station full of hostile humans and aliens.

frontovik

Banned
I also find it strange that you can't pick up a revolver from fallen scavengers during the early game, but it's scripted for you to obtain one later on.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I think I might abandon this game a couple hours in.

I picked up the tuner in front of the elevator and ran back out of the room when the other people came running in. Now I'm supposed to find a data cell, and it looks like I'm supposed to go back through that room, but if I enter crouched down they immediately see me and start shooting. I can't lure them out of the room, and after a dozen attempts I'm done trying to sneak past.

All I have is a flare and they see me before I can distract them with it. There are rewire stations in the room, but again they see me as soon as I enter.

Edit: OK I killed one of them finally and he dropped his gun but I can't use it for no apparent reason and was shot trying to pick it up. This game sucks.

Are they magic guns? Is it because I'm a woman? I seriously don't get it.

Edit 2: I beat that part by abusing the enemy ai and wrenching 4 people stuck together. I'm still done with this game. Terrible stealth mechanics and enemy ai.

Also, my pockets are now bulging with revolver ammo and there are revolvers littering the floor, but I still can't pick one up for unknown reasons. Still on a space station full of hostile humans and aliens.

I always laugh when I hear people complain about this part because there is a ridiculously easy way to get through it that doesnt require you to kill or confront anyone.

Wanna know how?!

I beat the game. It is way too long, considering how often it repeats itself. The ai can be really annoying. Overall it is a pretty great Alien game, though. It reminded me a lot of Doom 3, but more effective. Next up is the dlc.

I always laugh when I hear people complain about this part because there is a ridiculously easy way to get through it that doesnt require you to kill or confront anyone.

Wanna know how?!

I want to know. I got past it, but it was a bit of a sticking point early on.

Also, my pockets are now bulging with revolver ammo and there are revolvers littering the floor, but I still can't pick one up for unknown reasons.

Fun fact: in my game, those revolvers never hit the floor. They all stayed floating in the air after the people carrying them were dead. I saved a video of it. It happened again when I came back through that room later in the game.

I can only assume that's why you couldn't pick them up. It's a bug in your game - they're supposed to be floating and intangible. :^)

Jobbs

Banned
I finished the main game quite some time ago and loved it so much I bought the season pass right off (there wasn't much DLC at the time, I did it because I liked the game).

So by now I see several DLCs, I'm curious if these are good and if so which in particular are good?

frontovik

Banned
I finished the main game quite some time ago and loved it so much I bought the season pass right off (there wasn't much DLC at the time, I did it because I liked the game).

So by now I see several DLCs, I'm curious if these are good and if so which in particular are good?

I highly enjoyed the main game, but found the DLCs to be quite disappointing.

They're simply timed missions where you have to complete certain objectives as fast as possible to get the best score. They don't provide any worthwhile replay value to me, so I wouldn't recommend them at all.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I want to know. I got past it, but it was a bit of a sticking point early on.

Fun fact: in my game, those revolvers never hit the floor. They all stayed floating in the air after the people carrying them were dead. I saved a video of it. It happened again when I came back through that room later in the game.

I can only assume that's why you couldn't pick them up. It's a bug in your game - they're supposed to be floating and intangible. :^)

Here's how. Ill try and explain it as best I can:

When you pick up the device isn't functional you are in an elevator that is non-functional at the moment. That then triggers the humans to enter the area.

Anyway, after you pick up the device turn to your right (the right when FACING the elevator you just picked up the device in), you will see some stairs and on the top of those stairs you will see a crate. You need to quickly (don't run) head up the stairs and crouch behind the crate. The humans will walk right past you and your can just crouch walk your way to the objective. You have to be a little careful to make sure you aren't seen by another human entering a room that's entrance is along your path.

I know its hard to describe, but seriously that part is major easy if you take the approach I laid out.

There is barely any AA present man. Jaggies are all over the place with everything maxed.

Yeah that's post-process AA for you. It doesn't really kill jaggies, it just blurs them and makes them slightly less noticable.

The only thing you can do to actually kill jaggies it is downsample, but you need a beefy GPU for that of course.

Here's with 4K downsampling + SMAA

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/682/20408164600_a37b890022_o.png

There's still a bit of shader aliasing at 4K, but it's waay better than 1080P.

I must be doing something wrong. This game seems IMPOSSIBLE. I'm just running and hiding in lockers between trying to complete objectives but eventually an alien drops down and I'm dead. I have one round in the revolver which does nothing; stun gun is useless. What is the key here? This is one of the better games I've played in a long time but fuck the difficulty is making it tedious. I'm at the part where you have to get the trauma kit.

frontovik

Banned
Always stay on the move and pay attention to your surroundings, especially the sound of the Alien. After awhile, you should become familiar with the sounds when it's moving around in the vents and when it's on the ground floor.

Lockers are a death trap, you'd be much better off hiding under a table or overturned hospital gurney. Use your motion sensor to get a sense of where the Alien is located, and try to outmaneuver it. When the Alien is in the same area as you, you should NEVER run, either walk when it's in the vents, and remain crouched when it's close by.

Don't bother using your current weapons; only the flamethrower and harpoon gun is worthwhile as you progress into the game.

The key is to always keep moving and pay attention to your surroundings through the motion sensor and audio cues.

Jobbs

Banned
I must be doing something wrong. This game seems IMPOSSIBLE. I'm just running and hiding in lockers between trying to complete objectives but eventually an alien drops down and I'm dead. I have one round in the revolver which does nothing; stun gun is useless. What is the key here? This is one of the better games I've played in a long time but fuck the difficulty is making it tedious. I'm at the part where you have to get the trauma kit.

Stay on the move, use your senses + the motion detector, keep aware of where the alien is and move accordingly. This isn't a game that rewards you for hiding in lockers a lot, contrary to what the polygon review said. This is the wrong way to play.

Stay on the move, press forward, keep your wits about you. That's how it's played and it's very thrilling.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Finding in lockers and trying to wait for that perfect moment is your mistake. There is almost never a perfect moment.

So I jumped back into this game after months of not playing it and continued where I left off. I have the
flamethrower
and have been in few in counters with the
Alien
. So far all I've done was just scare him off and that's about it, plus he hit me over the head and I took some damage but didn't die.

Is it possible to kill the
Alien
I've tried roasting him with the
flamethrower
but he survived!

So I jumped back into this game after months of not playing it and continued where I left off. I have the
flamethrower
and have been in few in counters with the
Alien
. So far all I've done was just scare him off and that's about it, plus he hit me over the head and I took some damage but didn't die.

Is it possible to kill the
Alien
I've tried roasting him with the
flamethrower
but he survived!

You
can't kill the Alien.
Flamethrower is for defense only, remember to get the hell out of there after flaming it. Always seems to come back for revenge!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You
can't kill the Alien.
Flamethrower is for defense only, remember to get the hell out of there after flaming it. Always seems to come back for revenge!

Yep, people complain that the flamethrower makes the game too easy.

Very much disagree. Any time you use the flamethrower it becomes much more aggressive in hunting you.

Not being seen is far and away the best course of action.

Puweyxil

Banned
I started this game a few days ago and I'm reeeeeally enjoying it so far. It's part Escape from Butcher Bay, part BioShock and part Dead Space. I'm very early in the going though and praying it doesn't shit the bed.

I started this game a few days ago and I'm reeeeeally enjoying it so far. It's part Escape from Butcher Bay, part BioShock and part Dead Space. I'm very early in the going though and praying it doesn't shit the bed.

You're in for a ride!

Some people say it's too long...but it didn't bother me. GOTY 2014 for me, and top in the genre.

I like being subscribed to this thread and see someone new experience the game every now and then.

clip

Best game of 2014.

I'm waiting until the weather cools off, and sun sets earlier so I can begin a nightmare mode playthrough. I'm psyched.

Draft

Overall Alien: Isolation is an enjoyable and original experience, but it is far too long. Like, several hours too long. Core gameplay concepts are established early on and do not change substantially. Half of the items are useless against the alien, so in levels with the alien as the primary threat it's like, who cares about the bolt gun? Who cares about an upgraded emp? I'm still crouching behind sofas waiting for the alien to leap into a vent and sprint across the map so I can move freely for another minute or two. That's fun, but doing it in the smoking ruins of the last level is a lot like doing it in the medical bay all those hours ago.

If Alien: Isolation came out when I was a kid it would have been completely amazing. Gaming dollars were rare but gaming time plentiful. The campaign goes on and on and on. It's impressively long, especially in a market that favors 6 hour campaigns. Unfortunately, I feel like 6 hours might have been the right length for Alien. Because of alt-tabbing I'm unsure what my final playthrough time was, but I bet it it's approaching 20 hours. Long fucking game! I was very ready for it to be over.

In fact, I'd been putting it off for a month. Had a save in the aforementioned smoking ruins. Figured it had to be the last level. Nope! A quiet moment, then an alien moment, then a space walk, then even an interactive epilogue. So long!

Funny: Watching the news and the story is Russia and Putin. News anchor keeps saying "Sevastopol" and I'm like, why is that name so familiar!?

I really hope they make a sequel to this, because as far as I'm concerned, it's the only genuinely good thing that's come out of the franchise in the last few years.

All things considering, I'm glad they went with a standalone, divorced story in this one. The attempts to shoehorn Expanded Universe material has been absolutely terrible. Between Colonial Marines and the recent "Out of the Shadows" trilogy (which fucks with the canon in ways that piss me off), it amazes me that Creative Assembly were the only ones to do the franchise justice in an interesting and memorable way.

I started replaying this game from the beginning after only putting in ~6 hours on release and dropping it due to me being a huge wuss. I'm a bit over halfway through now and I'm loving every second. I see a lot of people saying the game is too long, but I feel like I could play it forever. Of course that could change as I near the end, but I love creeping around, exploring the ship, and just immersing myself in the atmosphere. The game looks gorgeous at 4k... the lighting is so damn good.

So I'm doing a stream of this tonight at 10pm mountain USA time.

It's gonna be the PC version, on the hardest mode and downsampled using DSR to possibly 4k.

My twitch is twitch.tv/royaleduke.

Damn, game looks smooth as hell on your rig! Lookin good.

I love this game, I just got busy and distracted for a while and then new releases happened. I do plan on getting back to it soon. I really enjoy it.

Edit: Shit I forgot how pretty this game was. So good.

Damn, game looks smooth as hell on your rig! Lookin good.

I love this game, I just got busy and distracted for a while and then new releases happened. I do plan on getting back to it soon. I really enjoy it.

Edit: Shit I forgot how pretty this game was. So good.

Hey thanks for tuning in, I'll be streaming again tomorrow probably most of the day since I don't have anything to do.

And yeah haha, tell me about it! I got a bunch of stuff on sale(AC:S, BF:H, some other stuff) and with Fallout 4 I am absolutely stacked lol.

And yeah the game looks incredible even without 4K but with DSR and 4k it just looks...orgasmic.

Top Bottom