• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Swarm |OT| - Free Co-op Multiplayer from Valve

I got hooked on it last night and played it for a while. The controls are fine to me aside from some odd button layouts. I didn't even realise there was an alt fire until my second playthrough.

All it needs is more content, which i'm extremely hopeful the mod community will provide. I'm kind of hoping for an all out sequel that expands on what's here. Do it Valve. I want to give you my money!

I'd love for someone to create a top down version of Team Fortress 2 in this vein.

sfried

After the hellhole which is Steam Forums, I have only a simple question:

How do I map the aim to the second analog of my USB joystick (non XNA/360 controller)?

kagete said:
This is true. I love PC gaming
As much as I like it, I'm not fond of other PC gamers that much. See this thread (yikes!).

Dreohboy

belvedere said:
This is fucking awesome.

That is all.

Once i enabled 360 controller support...YOU ARE RIGHT Sir.

It makes all the difference in the world when you can change the pace that your marine walks at. Right trigger...gun, left trigger...BIGGER GUN....

I'm loving this game.

I will always be a fan of STEAM.

1) Got this game for free...AMAZING
2) Got Red Faction Guerilla for $5...just as AMAZING

Jim Stark

Neo Member
Dreohboy said:
Once i enabled 360 controller support...YOU ARE RIGHT Sir.

It makes all the difference in the world when you can change the pace that your marine walks at. Right trigger...gun, left trigger...BIGGER GUN....

I'm loving this game.

I will always be a fan of STEAM.

1) Got this game for free...AMAZING
2) Got Red Faction Guerilla for $5...just as AMAZING

The Steam sales are the reason I stick to PC gaming. Sure, I spend a little more money up front, but I can buy games for $5-20 within a few months of their release compared to $40-60. It adds up after awhile. I love Valve.

I've played with a few GAFers so far and we've had a blast, if anyone else wants to play I'm on a lot. At this point we're focusing on completing Insane

Steam is sleepallwinter

Daigoro

game seemss fun, only got to play for about 10 min earlier.

only thing i was having issues with control wise was being able to do a quick 180 to choot stuff behind me. felt weird. maybe it just takes some getting used to, or maybe ill try a controller.

Spotless Mind said:
I got hooked on it last night and played it for a while. The controls are fine to me aside from some odd button layouts. I didn't even realise there was an alt fire until my second playthrough.

thats why the first thing you do is check the control config. ;) i didnt realize either until i went to check that out.

i saw you on but i was still downloading at the time. maybe see you in the morning if your around.

Threi

notag
btw for everyone saying the reload bar is out of sight:

If you look at your cursor the half circle shows how much ammo you have left, and also your reload bar (with the quick reload section as well) when you reload it.

Personally I would like it above my char's head since that's where my eyes are but there ya go, its not just in the bottom left corner of the screen.

Blackface said:
It keeps saying I am not in a joinable game when my friends try to join my custom generated map. Anyone know why?

I don't have firsthand experience with it, but do they all have the SDK installed?

crimsonheadGCN said:
A poster on SomethingAwful has been working on a new player model:

33cnebl.jpg

Nice :lol

I want the characters from Aliens

Anony

so the people that's used the 360 controller on this, what's the verdict

and what's the instructions to get 360 controller working other than enable dev console

Aon

That looks right out of the original Dawn of War. High quality work on only the second day of release :D

It's amazing how much better this is than the Alien Breed and Alien Syndrome revivals. Team 17 are lucky they got their $15 game out first.

Protip: Tesla sentrys rock, especially for the last level. You can't pick them up but you can deploy 3 of them, so if a couple players take them rather than whizzbang rockets or mines or medpacks or armor you get 6 of them which is enough to help out every single panic event.

Super Protip: Adrenaline is really useful for taking on those parasite spitting queens but if someone dies while it's on EVERYONE WILL CRASH. Use at your own peril.

Metal Gear?! said:
It's amazing how much better this is than the Alien Breed and Alien Syndrome revivals. Team 17 are lucky they got their $15 game out first.

Protip: Tesla sentrys rock, especially for the last level. You can't pick them up but you can deploy 3 of them, so if a couple players take them rather than whizzbang rockets or mines or medpacks or armor you get 6 of them which is enough to help out every single panic event.

Super Protip: Adrenaline is really useful for taking on those parasite spitting queens but if someone dies while it's on EVERYONE WILL CRASH. Use at your own peril.

Valve actually delayed Alien Swarm because of the revival of Alien Breed. It was ready back in April/May, according to the developers who post at the BCS forums.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
gregor7777 said:
Nice :lol

I want the characters from Aliens
I want to play the level from Aliens. Where instead of just having to go through a level. They give you the level and you have to survive for X long, or so many waves. Give you more mobile sents and everything to use.

Awesome game by the way. I really don't understand the difficult of the Residential District. The level is fairly easy, but my hard group quit like pussies when we got to it.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Valve actually delayed Alien Swarm because of the revival of Alien Breed. It was ready back in April/May, according to the developers who post at the BCS forums.
That was errrr... rather nice of them, I guess?

shintoki said:
Awesome game by the way. I really don't understand the difficult of the Residential District. The level is fairly easy, but my hard group quit like pussies when we got to it.
First level where you encounter those parasites man. Once someone pops, the fun don't stop... 'till everyone drops.

Curufinwe

The recommended settings the game defaulted to (Very High Shader Detail, High Effect Detail and High Model/texture Detail) were way too much for my crappy old 320MB 8800 GTS. I had to dial everything down to medium to stop the game from constantly slowing down and hitching until I got a Nv4_disp error.

I don't mind playing on lower settings, I just find it weird that a Source game like this would overestimate my PC's power so much when that hasn't happened to me with other games released by Valve.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Curufinwe said:
I don't mind playing on lower settings, I just find it weird that a Source game like this would overestimate my PC's power so much when that hasn't happened to me with other games released by Valve.
Games are never ever that accurate when it comes to auto-configuring settings. You should always expect to fine tune settings.

Turfster

Minamu said:
Can I play more than one mission in the practice mode? Just booting it up, the game isn't very good explaining wtf I'm supposed to do :S Quite fun though. Couldn't get online either. Saw a whole bunch of games active but joining was impossible.
asw_show_all_singleplayer_maps 1 in the dev console is your friend, you'll be able to pick maps when playing practice mode. It doesn't go to the next map tho, so you'll have to quit to main menu and restart practice mode every time you're done.
Have I said how much I hate the retarded interface already today? -_-

Also, anyone know why every time I try to play a custom map with friends, I get a "Reservation cookie 0: reason netsupport" error?

Curufinwe

Stallion Free said:
Games are never ever that accurate when it comes to auto-configuring settings. You should always expect to fine tune settings.

Yeah, I should have fine-tuned before I first started.

I wish every PC game had a performance demo like the one in FEAR, or better yet like the benchmarks in DMC 4 and RE 5.

Dreohboy

BloodySinner said:
How do you enable the 360 controller at all?

To enable 360 support....

Go to OPTIONS

KEYBOARD/MOUSE

Enable DEVELOPER CONSOLE

Go into game.

Hit the . key (on your keyboard)

type the following
exec 360controller_xbox

you should then be good to go. You're going to have to familiarize yourself with how the buttons are mapped.

one thing you'll find out. Clicking down on each of the analog sticks will command your unit to stop and guard an area, or to follow you. Push forward on analog stick a little, your guy appears to walk. Push forward all the way, he runs. A button, he jumps, B button, he does a melee attack.

If Valve could tighten up the aiming with the right analog stick the game would be perfect with a 360 controller.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I think some Source game (one of the Left 4 Dead's, probably), when I clicked that button once, recommended pretty much the lowest settings at 640x480 for my e8400 and 5850. :lol

DrBo42

So after messing around with the SDK, I am shocked at how terrible Hammer is. This has to be super outdated software right? I cannot believe that the people at Valve actually use this thing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
DrBo42 said:
So after messing around with the SDK, I am shocked at how terrible Hammer is. This has to be super outdated software right? I cannot believe that the people at Valve actually use this thing.
Haha it's more or less what they used in 2004 in terms of setup.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
DrBo42 said:
Ok that makes sense. :lol The geometry tools in this thing make me want to slit my wrists.
You can actually use that google cad software (I forget what exactly it's called and import it in as geometry).

DrBo42

Stallion Free said:
You can actually use that google cad software (I forget what exactly it's called and import it in as geometry).
Are you talking about SketchUp? That's awesome to know. I'll have to check it out, thanks.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jufonuk said:
Ok next question is the 360 controller is the xbox360 controller designed for PC's yeah? there is no way to get a normal 360 control and hook it up to a pc?
A wired 360 controller uses a USB port. This isn't rocket science. I'm not sure why some people got the idea that there are 360 controllers built specifically for computer use.
DrBo42 said:
Are you talking about SketchUp? That's awesome to know. I'll have to check it out, thanks.
Yeah, I know it has a plugin for L4D so hopefully it will work with Alien Swarm's editor as well.

Parham

Banned
jufonuk said:
Ok next question is the 360 controller is the xbox360 controller designed for PC's yeah? there is no way to get a normal 360 control and hook it up to a pc?
If you have a wired Xbox 360 controller, it will work with your PC as along as you have installed the driver. If you have a wireless Xbox 360 controller, you need to purchase a wireless receiver.

Tain

Seriously. After using UE3, it's downright impossible to go back to having carving shit be a commitment. uuuugh.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Did anyone else never have an icon for the game in grid view? After restarting, it's still just blank with that windows icon in the middle.

Loam

WedgeX said:
My brother is already getting frustrated with "noobies" :lol

"But its Day One"

Death glare.

Its day one and people have already max level'd and activated 'prestige mode'. :lol

I got yelled at for not completing the hacking mini-game fast enough despite not being logged. Some folks are just too into it.

Rur0ni

This was actually worth putting some money towards.

34,447 60,467 Alien Swarm
16,117 60,751 Counter-Strike: Source
15,973 57,437 Counter-Strike
15,965 64,320 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
15,625 24,302 Team Fortress 2
6,944 13,604 Left 4 Dead 2

Haven't played a whole lot, but man it looks and plays nice. Releasing Portal for free, and now this... Valve throws a few hq freebies out there to get the non-steam users out there into the fold.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The 360 controller works really well...I'm very impressed...Can anyone post screenshots of FPS and 3rd Person mode? I'm curious to see how well the detail holds up...

coopolon

We beat it on hard tonight, wasn't too bad, just had to try most missions twice (like to learn what direction to place the turret.)

We're going to try insane tomorrow night!

Top Bottom