• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Swarm |OT| - Free Co-op Multiplayer from Valve

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I played the demo level last night, after the elevator, what happens? I got stuck in some room where nothing happens.

Dreohboy

The M.O.B said:
Are any Gaffers interested in getting together and making a campaign for this???

I actually had a question along those lines.

From the tools provided, how long of a campaign would it be possible to build?

The M.O.B

Dreohboy said:
I actually had a question along those lines.

From the tools provided, how long of a campaign would it be possible to build?

As long as you want, of course you would have to split it up into separate maps.

sfried

BloodySinner said:
How do you enable the 360 controller at all?
I am not using a 360 controller. Nor do I plan on buying one just to play it with gamepad.

Does anybody know how to map the aiming for regular USB controllers? So far I've been successful at mapping every other function save for aiming.

game is amazing, free, cool, fun....and too hard on easy. Although I've never had a full match. Tried the last stage like 4 times.

Maybe I just suck at games.

Mr_Zombie

Is there a way to deal with those facehugger-like aliens? A friend and I were playing through the game yesterday and everything was going well till we get to that level where we need to burn about 26 eggs and where all those facehuggers appear. That level is like a real demotivator. Every fuckin time one of us (or both) ended up with the alien sticked to the face and died quickly. Neither standing in the healing area, nor punching the huggers helped :/.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Mr_Zombie said:
Is there a way to deal with those facehugger-like aliens? A friend and I were playing through the game yesterday and everything was going well till we get to that level where we need to burn about 26 eggs and where all those facehuggers appear. That level is like a real demotivator. Every fuckin time one of us (or both) ended up with the alien sticked to the face and died quickly. Neither standing in the healing area, nor punching the huggers helped :/.

Have someone with a flamethrower or equip electric armour.

PasteyMF

Alien Swarm is great, but some more campaigns would really stretch the legs of the game a ton. Difficulties are about the only replay the game has.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Foxy Fox 39 said:
game is amazing, free, cool, fun....and too hard on easy. Although I've never had a full match. Tried the last stage like 4 times.

Maybe I just suck at games.

It makes a huge difference to actually have 4 real people. ai is really good at dieing all the time.

Standing in the healing beacon does help. You basically just outheal the infestation. Try using the female medic as she has better infestation curing.

Metalic Sand said:
It makes a huge difference to actually have 4 real people. ai is really good at dieing all the time.
Speaking of, I made a video earlier today of how difficult it can be alone.

I was playing three player and two of us got ambushed by an enemy and killed in one attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D2SopHFVXk

So that left the third person to try and get through and he got "infested" and couldn't get through.

This game is not at all balanced for single-play and shouldn't be attempted as such. It's damn fun, though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
PasteyMF said:
Alien Swarm is great, but some more campaigns would really stretch the legs of the game a ton. Difficulties are about the only replay the game has.

The modding community is going to go nuts with this game. There's really no need for Valve themselves to put out any additional content.

Nabs

I set my music to Ken's Theme from SF Zero II. Shit was pretty epic, can't lie. It kinda fucked me over though, I went into Rambo mode and died immediately.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
JaseC said:
The modding community is going to go nuts with this game. There's really no need for Valve themselves to put out any additional content.
Just like with L4D? There are no guarantees with the modding communities here folks, so don't get your hopes up to high just yet.

"Just like with L4D? There are no guarantees with the modding communities here folks, so don't get your hopes up to high just yet."

L4D didn't have a tile-based level editor.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Teknopathetic said:
Standing in the healing beacon does help. You basically just outheal the infestation. Try using the female medic as she has better infestation curing.
Ding Ding Ding. Guess which Medic I play as?! Female Medic+Telsa Gun+Medic Beacons. You are a combat support, healing machine.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
"L4D didn't have a tile-based level editor."

The tile-based level editor is crude, simple, and the campaigns you can produce with it are severely limited. The community pretty much needs to build tiles for it and even then it won't be able to replicate the quality/variety in the one campaign Valve released.

There is one basic theme at the moment and it's what you see in the game. Good shit won't happen unless people use the actual editor... just like with L4D.

"The tile-based level editor is crude, simple, and the campaigns you can produce with it are severely limited. The community pretty much needs to build tiles for it and even then it won't be able to replicate the quality/variety in the one campaign Valve released. "

Making tiles is a significantly more manageable task than building entire levels from the ground up in Hammer. Significantly. And while it may or may not happen for Alien Swarm, I think you'd be surprised at what some people can do with "crude, simple" tools.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
"Making tiles is a significantly more manageable task than building entire levels from the ground up in Hammer. Significantly. And while it may or may not happen for Alien Swarm, I think you'd be surprised at what some people can do with "crude, simple" tools."

I'm just telling people not to hold their breath. Valve did make plugins for simpler design software than Hammer for L4D and that didn't make a big difference.

Also, if you can model a room properly for a tile, I'm sure you can expand that skill set to a whole level fairly easily as you have the Hammer basics down.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Tokubetsu said:
Stallion, why you always gotta be a negative nancy?
I don't want to be let down again like I was with L4D. It was a total bummer when it took 2.5 years to get 1 quality campaign for L4D1. I can't take that pain again. I was goddamn spoiled in the HL1 days I guess.

"Also, if you can model a room properly for a tile, I'm sure you can expand that skill set to a whole level fairly easily as you have the Hammer basics down."

The time it takes to do so is much, much longer compared to reusing tiles for the entirety of a level. When you make a room for a tile, you can simply reuse the floor, walls, etc. for the rest of the map (as necessary) to make rooms of different shapes and size. You have to repeat the same process over and over otherwise and that adds on a ton of time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
"The time it takes to do so is much, much longer compared to reusing tiles for the entirety of a level. When you make a room for a tile, you can simply reuse the floor, walls, etc. for the rest of the map (as necessary) to make rooms of different shapes and size. You have to repeat the same process over and over otherwise and that adds on a ton of time."

Sounds like an incredibly boring level you just described there. Please make it so I can play it. I just want to run through room after room of the same floors and walls being reused.

Blackface

Banned
So has Valve said anything about not being able to have friends play with you in custom maps?

The only way to do it is create a dedicated server and fix the DLL bug with patch files.

This has gotta be fixed.

Bluth54

Blackface said:
So has Valve said anything about not being able to have friends play with you in custom maps?

The only way to do it is create a dedicated server and fix the DLL bug with patch files.

This has gotta be fixed.
I'm sure it will be, this is Valve we're talking about after all.

"Sounds like an incredibly boring level you just described there. Please make it so I can play it. I just want to run through room after room of the same floors and walls being reused."

What do you think you just played in the main campaign? I don't know if they used the tile editor to make those levels originally or not, but there is not a ton of variety there.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
"What do you think you just played in the main campaign? I don't know if they used the tile editor to make those levels originally or not, but there is not a ton of variety there."

I just beat the game today and it was obviously not built with the tile gen editor. There is plenty of unique terrain that is clearly not tile based.

"There is plenty of unique terrain that is clearly not tile based."

I can't think of anything off hand that I saw that couldn't be done in a tilebased manner. The layout in each level was 90 degree angles and square/rectangular rooms/halls/whatever.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
"I can't think of anything off hand that I saw that couldn't be done in a tilebased manner. The layout in each level was 90 degree angles and square/rectangular rooms/halls/whatever."

Since you clearly know so much, drop some dope maps on us that are Valve quality.

Just a hunch here, but I'm gonna say this is unique terrain and not a tile as the level geometry doesn't really lend itself to that:

swarm2010-07-2104-08-35yi6.jpg

But really, go load it up and actually take a look at it.

"Since you clearly know so much, drop some dope maps on us that are Valve quality."

This is getting irritating. If you want to be a dipshit, do it somewhere else.

"Just a hunch here, but I'm gonna say this is unique terrain and not a tile as the level geometry doesn't really lend itself to that:"

A large tile could be used for that. Tilebased doesn't necessarily mean that it's just a bunch of small square chunks put together, they just need to fit on the grid properly. In fact, if you look at some of the example tiles in the Tilegen, there are quite a few really large somewhat irregular shaped pieces there.

Sciz

6f76va.png

we don't have time to bleed

Seriously, we don't, these speedruns have razor-thin margins for error, if any at all. Our time on the third map is about fifteen seconds too long and we have no idea how to shave off any more.

Much love to Hazaro and Toxic Punch (or whatever your GAF name is) for slogging through all the failures up until the sweet successes.

Also tore through the third and fourth maps on Insane, so that was fun too.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Compared to the other 2 the Sewer run is easy as cake. Me and Sciz ran that alone, Landing Bay we had 3 with Toxic, and Cargo Elevator we had 4 which made it a bit easier (except once a straggler made us miss).
"I hope that didn't cost us 3 seconds"
"I think it costs us 3 seconds"
Then we get 2:53

:[

bigswords

You know this game is so awesome I was wondering why I could not do a fresh steam install as most of the servers that are used to update steam are fully used.

Had to use a clientregister.blob editor to change my server to another US server as Aussie servers are all fully used.

After nearly an hour of failure on the final level (mostly with random internet people), I managed to single-handedly survive the entire
escape sequence
. Absolutely intense, heart-pounding stuff - and that was just on Normal.

Brilliant, particularly for free. Hopefully they give it a TF2-level of post-release content; though if not, I suppose the community will.

Top Bottom