• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens and UFOs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcll

Banned
Thanks, I'm incredibly fascinated with space, the moon, planets, nebula etc. Astrophotography has become an obsession, though it's been months since I've had the chance to image anything thanks to weather.

Here's the moon from last summer during the wildfires, the sky was incredibly hazy so I lost detail and sharpness but I couldn't resist imaging it considering how cool it looked with the red hue. I took this with a Canon t3i and a small refractor.

moonfinal-1.jpg
That is an awesome pic

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Thanks, I'm incredibly fascinated with space, the moon, planets, nebula etc. Astrophotography has become an obsession, though it's been months since I've had the chance to image anything thanks to weather.

Here's the moon from last summer during the wildfires, the sky was incredibly hazy so I lost detail and sharpness but I couldn't resist imaging it considering how cool it looked with the red hue. I took this with a Canon t3i and a small refractor.

moonfinal-1.jpg

Simply Amazing.

What's the underlying draw to your obsessive fascination?

Just curious. Sometimes it's just about a feeling that's hard to articulate. For me at least =)

<3

The s9 is what, four years old now? The s9 camera is wack compared to what's out there now. Here is a pic I took of the moon just last night with my s21 ultra...

20220208-174858.jpg

This is using just the regular photo portion of the camera app, saved to jpg, no touch ups or anything. I am confident I could squeeze much more quality out of it if I had used the pro camera with access to all sorts of camera settings, saved it as raw and edited it in photoshop. The tech is there for better images than the 1980's vhs tier ufo shit we see most often these days.

I wish I could have gotten something like that. My cell phones now and before that could never get something like that.

And keep in mind in those phones hey-day the same questions were being asked about pictures.

Simply Amazing.

What's the underlying draw to your obsessive fascination?

Just curious. Sometimes it's just about a feeling that's hard to articulate. For me at least =)

<3

I dunno, youre right it's hard to articulate but i could try eh? I've just always been fascinated with space since I was a kid. The scale, physics, time, gravity, etc is just mind blowing to me. It's simultaneously open to so much hypothesizing yet grounded in an ever evolving science as technology gets better and better.

A few years ago I bought a small but fantastic dobsonion telescope, Orion Starblast 4.5, and it was amazing. I started learning the sky, how to star hop and find objects. I'll never forget how amped I was when I first found andromeda through the eyepiece. It looked like nothing more than a faint smudge of light but I was ecstatic. Very soon I started trying to take images, first by just holding my phone to the eyepiece, then purchasing a planetary camera that fits where the eyepiece would go. This was a completely manual tabletop telescope so I was limited to basically imaging thr moon and a few planets but that was it I was hooked.

Last March I sold my eyepieces and that telescope and purchased the t3i with some lenses and a small equatorial mount called the Star Adventure. A very basic mount that has equatorial tracking but eveyrthing else was manual.

20210418-221306.jpg

Long story short it didn't take long before I sold that, purchased a full goto equatorial mount, a small refractor, an asiair pro to control everything from my phone and other bits that upped the complexity by an order of magnitude but would help me get better images..

20210815-004946.jpg

This was late last summer and I've only managed to properly image a few targets but the obsession has kicked into high gear. I'm bummed that the weather has been so shit, there are a ton of objects I've missed that won't be back until next year! Hopefully the weather turns for the better as winter ends

My two best images I've acquired are these...

Andromeda - this is 31hrs worth of two minute exposures

PSX-20220102-185336.jpg

M42 The Orion Nebula - this is from only 40 minutes (!) worth of 30 exposure exposures. I'm hoping to get five or six more hours worth before Orion disappears later in the spring

PSX-20220109-221054.jpg

Ok, enough of my obsession. Sorry for derailing the thread!

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
I saw something back in 2018 when I went fishing with my at the time girlfriend - really fast moving ball of light that was sort of shimmering and bouncing off the water in the distance before stopping dead still.

Looked kind of metallic, but before I could get my camera phone ready it bolged straigt up into the sky at an unbelievable speed. Was pretty nuts honestly. Given we were fishing in an estury, it was too far out to see any detail but It was most certainly not 'swamp gas' as they say.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I dunno, youre right it's hard to articulate but i could try eh? I've just always been fascinated with space since I was a kid. The scale, physics, time, gravity, etc is just mind blowing to me. It's simultaneously open to so much hypothesizing yet grounded in an ever evolving science as technology gets better and better.

A few years ago I bought a small but fantastic dobsonion telescope, Orion Starblast 4.5, and it was amazing. I started learning the sky, how to star hop and find objects. I'll never forget how amped I was when I first found andromeda through the eyepiece. It looked like nothing more than a faint smudge of light but I was ecstatic. Very soon I started trying to take images, first by just holding my phone to the eyepiece, then purchasing a planetary camera that fits where the eyepiece would go. This was a completely manual tabletop telescope so I was limited to basically imaging thr moon and a few planets but that was it I was hooked.

Last March I sold my eyepieces and that telescope and purchased the t3i with some lenses and a small equatorial mount called the Star Adventure. A very basic mount that has equatorial tracking but eveyrthing else was manual.

20210418-221306.jpg

Long story short it didn't take long before I sold that, purchased a full goto equatorial mount, a small refractor, an asiair pro to control everything from my phone and other bits that upped the complexity by an order of magnitude but would help me get better images..

20210815-004946.jpg

This was late last summer and I've only managed to properly image a few targets but the obsession has kicked into high gear. I'm bummed that the weather has been so shit, there are a ton of objects I've missed that won't be back until next year! Hopefully the weather turns for the better as winter ends

PSX-20220102-185336.jpg

M42 The Orion Nebula - this is from only 40 minutes (!) worth of 30 exposure exposures. I'm hoping to get five or six more hours worth before Orion disappears later in the spring

PSX-20220109-221054.jpg

Wow! Thanks for your detailed response! Really awesome! You can feel the passion reading it <3 Great fucking captures =O Would make great posters I feel.. Must be frustrating being so dependent on the weather for chances that only happen yearly or less often, jeez.. Thanks again for responding, love your passion <3

Btw, you're not derailing. Aliens come from space don't they? =P

Last edited:

lethial

Reeeeeeee

These are great, thanks for sharing.

Now where the FUCK are the aliens.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
These are great, thanks for sharing.

Now where the FUCK are the aliens.

Alien is pretty derogatory. Off Earth civilizations sounds better. Also, something something Prime Directive and other reasons we're not going to have this blockbuster movie esque grandiose moment

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Folks need to get the memo that while we as a race on this planet still have today's issues WITH EACH OTHER and on such a negative impactful scale for one (There's sooo much more) the mere idea of ET life making contact like in the movies is laughable in the least. Unless said contact has nefarious intent (which do exist but Good or Evil depends on perspective) and already has made contact (lol contact) to which we see that result in our current state of affairs. Let's focus on getting shit together and manifest a timeline of love, service to others, etc. Not this reality where we're slaves to a crooked system with poisonous leaders, a indoctrinated childhood followed up with such demands that numb consumerism seems like a good thing. Without constant lies and manipulation from those we put our faith in to guide us to grow as a species. I could go on and on. Sorry for once again ranting. I don't mean I'll will even though my tone sounds preachy. Just frustrating for me.. <3 Carry on

Last edited:

Romulus

I saw something back in 2018 when I went fishing with my at the time girlfriend - really fast moving ball of light that was sort of shimmering and bouncing off the water in the distance before stopping dead still.

Looked kind of metallic, but before I could get my camera phone ready it bolged straigt up into the sky at an unbelievable speed. Was pretty nuts honestly. Given we were fishing in an estury, it was too far out to see any detail but It was most certainly not 'swamp gas' as they say.

This sounds like some of the stories in the 1700s-early 1900s during the early American history years. A lot of frontier men would see orbs of light bouncing around very strangely and stopping suddenly.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

20210418-221306.jpg

20210815-004946.jpg

PSX-20220102-185336.jpg

PSX-20220109-221054.jpg

Goddamn son, great captures.

Romulus

This one gets better as it goes on. They would need good CGI and actors, so another expensive hoax in a country where the average person makes $5000 per year. There's also another video from the late 1990s with a very similar shape/behavior I'm trying to dig up filmed in Russia.

Last edited:

Airola

This one gets better as it goes on. They would need good CGI and actors, so another expensive hoax in a country where the average person makes $5000 per year. There's also another video from the late 1990s with a very similar shape/behavior I'm trying to dig up filmed in Russia.

Good CGI?
Since when was a thing moving in a low resolution pixelated mess a sign of good CGI?
And since when was people moving around watching a thing called good acting?

And why couldn't that be a regular drone from earth instead of an alien drone/robot? Or why couldn't the footage be a mixture of both? Partly having a real drone and then using edited or cgi footage to show a more "outlandish" videomaterial of it implying it's the same thing that was shown earlier.

MadAnon

Good CGI?
Since when was a thing moving in a low resolution pixelated mess a sign of good CGI?

And why couldn't that be a regular drone from earth instead of an alien drone/robot? Or why couldn't the footage be a mixture of both? Partly having a real drone and then using edited or cgi footage to show a more "outlandish" videomaterial of it implying it's the same thing that was shown earlier.
It's something much simpler...

Most likely a colored foil balloon. That's why you see those bluish reflections.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll

That looks like a kid with reflective clothing on a bike to be honest. Dr. Anthony Cho, please.

Romulus

Good CGI?

You're saying its possibly a real world object and cgi? If the cgi isnt good, tell me what parts are cgi. From what i was reading making cgi to match lower resolutions isn't that easy and this video isn't new. I would actually say that a real world object drone/balloon is more feasible than the cgi/actors. Their reactions seem too natural at the gas station. Their not overextending their wow factor or curiousity, but its definitely weird to them. Especially that 2nd group.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Quite the cadence

Besides his annoying way of speaking; truth facts galore. Albeit on a kindergarten level lmao.

Last edited:

Airola

You're saying its possibly a real world object and cgi? If the cgi isnt good, tell me what parts are cgi. From what i was reading making cgi to match lower resolutions isn't that easy and this video isn't new. I would actually say that a real world object drone/balloon is more feasible than the cgi/actors. Their reactions seem too natural at the gas station. Their not overextending their wow factor or curiousity, but its definitely weird to them. Especially that 2nd group.

So now a bad quality of a video can be used as evidence for things shown in it being real?

It's nonsense when people say it's hard to make CGI to a low resolution video. Low resolution, blown up pixels and all kinds of messy artifacts have forever been a good way to make bad CGI to not look so obviously bad. The clearer the image is the harder it is to fake a thing because you need to make the details, the movement and everything really high quality so that the effect wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb from the video. The lower quality the video is, the less you have to spend time in details of the object. In a high quality video everything needs to be precise, from visual details to movement. The more the video has messy pixelation and other artifacts, the more it can hide the details that would immediately reveal the effect.

I'm not saying any of that is CGI. I'm just saying that how can anyone say that if it's CGI then it's good CGI when the video itself looks like a 90's RealPlayer video blown up where you literally can hide a lot of the shortcomings of a bad quality CGI object.

And by saying that part of it could be CGI and part could be real I mean that the video has cuts and if you see a video where there is a thing, and later in the video the thing seems to be doing something outlandish (in this case going through a truck - if I'm even understanding what it is supposed to show because the video quality is terrible), it's not impossible for someone to first have a video of something real and then creating another video that is supposed to be as if the same thing from that another video is in this another shot too (closeups, evidence of unnatural behavior etc).

The people in the video aren't doing anything that requires better acting than what is required from extras on a tv show. And the behavior in itself isn't anything that would even suggest they are seeing anything otherworldly. People see a lone object moving around, people go and look at that object move.

I'm just saying that your initial post seemed to first suggest there's something else moving than a thing made by humans because you are showing it in the context of this thread. And secondly you then go on to imply that other "man made" explanations would not be likely for the following reasons: it would be too expensive, cgi would be too good and actors would be too good. When in reality none of that shows anything too expensive, too good for cgi or too good actors.

I don't mind people showing videos like this and fantasizing about it being some alien stuff. That's all cool for me.
What triggered a response from me was the discrepancy between claims of too good cgi and the actual quality of the video. I mean, the quality of the video is terrible and to use that terribleness in any form as a thing that would discard "man made" explanations, be it a drone or cgi or whatever, is really baffling. It's like we've now found a way to use the low quality of a video as an advantage in claiming there could be something alien in it, when before that could be used against the video. Like, "ok, it's a bad quality video but in fact that makes the content of it more likely to be real because cgi in a video like that is too expensive." Like, what?

Romulus

So now a bad quality of a video can be used as evidence for things shown in it being real?

It's nonsense when people say it's hard to make CGI to a low resolution video. Low resolution, blown up pixels and all kinds of messy artifacts have forever been a good way to make bad CGI to not look so obviously bad. The clearer the image is the harder it is to fake a thing because you need to make the details, the movement and everything really high quality so that the effect wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb from the video. The lower quality the video is, the less you have to spend time in details of the object. In a high quality video everything needs to be precise, from visual details to movement. The more the video has messy pixelation and other artifacts, the more it can hide the details that would immediately reveal the effect.

I'm not saying any of that is CGI. I'm just saying that how can anyone say that if it's CGI then it's good CGI when the video itself looks like a 90's RealPlayer video blown up where you literally can hide a lot of the shortcomings of a bad quality CGI object.

And by saying that part of it could be CGI and part could be real I mean that the video has cuts and if you see a video where there is a thing, and later in the video the thing seems to be doing something outlandish (in this case going through a truck - if I'm even understanding what it is supposed to show because the video quality is terrible), it's not impossible for someone to first have a video of something real and then creating another video that is supposed to be as if the same thing from that another video is in this another shot too (closeups, evidence of unnatural behavior etc).

The people in the video aren't doing anything that requires better acting than what is required from extras on a tv show. And the behavior in itself isn't anything that would even suggest they are seeing anything otherworldly. People see a lone object moving around, people go and look at that object move.

I'm just saying that your initial post seemed to first suggest there's something else moving than a thing made by humans because you are showing it in the context of this thread. And secondly you then go on to imply that other "man made" explanations would not be likely for the following reasons: it would be too expensive, cgi would be too good and actors would be too good. When in reality none of that shows anything too expensive, too good for cgi or too good actors.

I don't mind people showing videos like this and fantasizing about it being some alien stuff. That's all cool for me.
What triggered a response from me was the discrepancy between claims of too good cgi and the actual quality of the video. I mean, the quality of the video is terrible and to use that terribleness in any form as a thing that would discard "man made" explanations, be it a drone or cgi or whatever, is really baffling. It's like we've now found a way to use the low quality of a video as an advantage in claiming there could be something alien in it, when before that could be used against the video. Like, "ok, it's a bad quality video but in fact that makes the content of it more likely to be real because cgi in a video like that is too expensive." Like, what?

It makes common sense to me that yes, shittier quality can be masked easier, but i remember reading its not so easy to match it because of the pixelation of moving objects will instantly stand out. In other words, too much artifacting or pixelation of a moving object onscreen and our eyes will catch it. But I never said clearer videos are easier to cgi though.

It looked odd enough for groups to go have a look. Actors are possible but ive too many shows with actual paid actiors where they overreact, even a little. I saw none of that here in the slightest. But yeah that reaction would have been normal for some unknown drone, balloon, or aliens.

Last edited:

Romulus

1986 Brazilian Air Force incident. Similar situation to the tic tac in that it was captured by multiple radars and several pilots and confirmed as an unknown. Also, there were many civilian witnesses.
Radar showed the shapes of the objects to be cylindrical, flat, and the shape of a blade(whatever that means.)
The General confirmed the objects could chase their fighters and disappear at will.

So again, there's a historical consistency with these reports and it makes zero sense. In the 2020s, it's a Chinese drone, in WW2 it's nazi super tech, in 1986, what is it? Failed stealth fighter testing?

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
1986 Brazilian Air Force incident. Similar situation to the tic tac in that it was captured by multiple radars and several pilots and confirmed as an unknown. Also, there were many civilian witnesses.
Radar showed the shapes of the objects to be cylindrical, flat, and the shape of a blade(whatever that means.)
The General confirmed the objects could chase their fighters and disappear at will.

So again, there's a historical consistency with these reports and it makes zero sense. In the 2020s, it's a Chinese drone, in WW2 it's nazi super tech, in 1986, what is it? Failed stealth fighter testing?

It’s obviously a hypersonic weather balloon.

Romulus

It’s obviously a hypersonic weather balloon.

To be fair, the only speed mentioned in that report was 500mph from a pilot that said he was keeping pace with it. But even still 500mph drone or experimental aircraft that can randomly disappear off the radar in the 80s? And why would they send all these different shaped experimental crafts over a country like Brazil that has the capability to shoot your craft down and steal your tech? Just to fuck around? None of this stuff has even made sense.

Last edited:

Sega Orphan

Banned
Can't wait for Luis Elizondos book. People have been complaining that he won't say anything on interviews because of his security clearance but is going to put it in a book. Many don't know, but the reason for the book is simple. When he is talking he has to be very careful because if he says anything too close then he can get hi clearance revoked. However, when he writes a book it has to be cleared by the pentagon before he can publish it. He will put every single thing he knows in the book, and it will be sent to the pentagon. Whatever they don't remove due to classification issues, he is free to publish. That way they can't threaten his clearance because they gave it the ok.
Pretty smart move. On top of that he could write something like "I have had it confirmed by multiple people that the US is in possession of crashed UFOs", and if the Pentagon tell him he can't put that in the book because it's classified then boom, they have just admitted that it is true.

Can't wait for Luis Elizondos book. People have been complaining that he won't say anything on interviews because of his security clearance but is going to put it in a book. Many don't know, but the reason for the book is simple. When he is talking he has to be very careful because if he says anything too close then he can get hi clearance revoked. However, when he writes a book it has to be cleared by the pentagon before he can publish it. He will put every single thing he knows in the book, and it will be sent to the pentagon. Whatever they don't remove due to classification issues, he is free to publish. That way they can't threaten his clearance because they gave it the ok.
Pretty smart move. On top of that he could write something like "I have had it confirmed by multiple people that the US is in possession of crashed UFOs", and if the Pentagon tell him he can't put that in the book because it's classified then boom, they have just admitted that it is true.

When is the book supposed to be released?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This probably would get more attention here than in it's own thread even though it's only semi-related.

Wow. The CIA were really into some crazy shit. I read the article about page 25 and the whole document and I still don't know what to believe?

I think that's big enough to get its own thread. It'll get more attention than it being in the UFO thread.

Whoever made this video stole my youtube video on the subject, lol. I subtitled that video some 10-12 years ago haha.

Edit: here it is

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's crazy to think. In my lifetime we went from not knowing about any exoplanets at all to now knowing about thousands. It seems like most stars have planets around them. It seems so amazingly improbable that life didn't develop on any of them. I just hope I'm alive when we discover the irrefutable proof. What a day that will be.

Romulus

It's crazy to think. In my lifetime we went from not knowing about any exoplanets at all to now knowing about thousands. It seems like most stars have planets around them. It seems so amazingly improbable that life didn't develop on any of them. I just hope I'm alive when we discover the irrefutable proof. What a day that will be.

Yeah and I think that's a possibility. Our great-grandchildren might even see images of exoplanets. It seems ridiculous to me that we can assert that "traveling the galaxy is too difficult" when we're barely out of the stone age. That's like 1700s scientists saying supersonic speed is impossible, or flight for that matter. The greatest minds are almost always wrong about things when it comes to boundaries, just wait a few decades or centuries.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Imagine being so dense you look at poor quality captures of anomalies on which you base your momentarily belief regarding the mere existence of intelligent life outside our planet... Talking about being late to the fucking party besides obviously operating from a very small minded point of view. FFS

Holy shit do I sound bitter.

I was 16 reading about ancient pre deluvian artifacts. Proof is here, on our very planet yet we seek confirmation in space? FFS

Its not surprising though, maintaining power over the masses requires control over narrative. Having been lied to and withheld from our real history only serves as a why when seeing conversations about the mere concept of ET life.

Last edited:

zeioIIDX

The subject is one I'd be into discussing and reading about. OBEs were something dozens of us started experimenting with in our own groups starting in junior high school and having some success.
Yep, there were a group of us back in junior high (circa 2000) who chanced upon the subject and began experimenting with astral travel and OBEs. I was only ever able to...lucid dream about 2-3 times. I don't think I ever had success with astral travel. I typically could get to this phase where I my body was "falling asleep" and feeling super, super heavy...and when it got to that point, I'd start to hear a very loud whooshing noise and it would feel like my entire body were plank of wood vibrating like a see-saw incredibly fast. It would always freak me out and I'd snap out of it and never proceed beyond that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom