• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite - Announce Trailer (Xbox One, Xbox Series, PS4, PS5, Steam)

Arkam

Love me some Aliens, so Ill watch this one. Do we know exactly what type of game this is? The trailer gave me a Third Person (CO-OP) tower defense vibe. Looked like you are trying to stave off waves of Xenomorphs (with "bosses"). Which could be cool if the levels are well designed with smart choke points that force you to leave a flank exposed if you fully cover it.

MiguelItUp

Love me some Aliens, so Ill watch this one. Do we know exactly what type of game this is? The trailer gave me a Third Person (CO-OP) tower defense vibe. Looked like you are trying to stave off waves of Xenomorphs (with "bosses"). Which could be cool if the levels are well designed with smart choke points that force you to leave a flank exposed if you fully cover it.
It's a third person, survival, class based game, with RPG progression.

So, essentially gonna play like L4D (with three players), with classes you can customize. 11+ Alien types and other enemies. 30+ weapons, classes have their unique abilities, etc.

It's been in development for awhile, but this is the first time they've shown gameplay and revealed details. So there's still quite a bit we don't know.

molasar

Banned

Perhaps it is closer to Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City.

j0hnnix

Aliens....
Jonah Hill Ok GIF

Arachnid

Me too but it makes sense for a marine game to be action-focused. And it looks like they're taking some inspiration from Isolation seeing as how the Working Joes are in this:
I actually noticed a lot of assets that seem like they were pulled straight from AI (not saying they are, different dev/publisher), so I like them using AI as inspiration. Tbh they need to just straight up legitimize Alien Isolation and make it part of the cannon. It was better than most of the movies, so anything legitimizing it is a positive to me. It's a cruel worked when Colonial Marines is canon but we have word on AI.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Oh no!

The only way to do a proper Alien game and have it look really really good are two things:

1) Extremely high res textures/normal maps (8k or higher)
2) Absolutely EVERY single light source has to cast shadows and be lit with only those light sources (forget about the fake constant color GI and environment lights).

This trailer showed none of that unfortunately.

Last edited:
I actually noticed a lot of assets that seem like they were pulled straight from AI (not saying they are, different dev/publisher), so I like them using AI as inspiration. Tbh they need to just straight up legitimize Alien Isolation and make it part of the cannon. It was better than most of the movies, so anything legitimizing it is a positive to me. It's a cruel worked when Colonial Marines is canon but we have word on AI.

I remember interview with the AI guys, they were given terabytes of the Alien production design by Fox. I'm sure these guys are using same assets plus the Aliens ones. I'm still amazed we havent had a Isolation movie adaption. Mary Elizabeth Wanstead as Ripley's daughter. Sold. Latest rumour mill is Neil Blomkompf's Aliens direct sequel is back on. They would make a nice bookend to Aliens.

Arachnid

I remember interview with the AI guys, they were given terabytes of the Alien production design by Fox. I'm sure these guys are using same assets plus the Aliens ones. I'm still amazed we havent had a Isolation movie adaption. Mary Elizabeth Wanstead as Ripley's daughter. Sold. Latest rumour mill is Neil Blomkompf's Aliens direct sequel is back on. They would make a nice bookend to Aliens.
God, I hope that rumor is true. His original plan for the movie sounded fantastic. I truely think Blomkompf would make a better modern Alien movie than Ridley can.

Last edited:
God, I hope that rumor is true. His original plan for the movie sounded fantastic. I truely think Blomkompf would make a better modern Alien movie than Ridley can.

I'd still like to see what happened to David. And just how Ridley would have worked in the LV426 juggernaut retcon...when in Alien it looks like the jockey has been there for thousands of years...

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Well it never bleeds in the first so you cannot say exactly. However in the second movie, which continues to establish canon, they have acid blood.
I know canonically it has acid blood but it did bleed on two occasions in the first movie. Once when Ripley shot it with the harpoon gun you can see a bit of blood shooting from it and again when it gets incinerated by the engines you see blood coming out of him and yet at the beginning of the second movie the investigators found no traces of the alien which I always found weird.

bargeparty

I know canonically it has acid blood but it did bleed on two occasions in the first movie. Once when Ripley shot it with the harpoon gun you can see a bit of blood shooting from it and again when it gets incinerated by the engines you see blood coming out of him and yet at the beginning of the second movie the investigators found no traces of the alien which I always found weird.

I don't know why I'm replying to this. You can't draw any conclusions from the 2 frames where it bleeds at the end of the first movie.

And it doesn't even matter.

And I went back to watch the scene in the vents. Vasquez does get hit by acid and is hurt, which is why she can't make it out and gorman goes back.

mcz117chief

I don't know why I'm replying to this. You can't draw any conclusions from the 2 frames where it bleeds at the end of the first movie.

And it doesn't even matter.

And I went back to watch the scene in the vents. Vasquez does get hit by acid and is hurt, which is why she can't make it out and gorman goes back.
Yeah, I'm just saying, you know. If it bleeds acid then there would be some kind of damage visible on the ship where the blood hit the surface but Yutani boys say that there were no traces of the alien. Nothing else, really.

And I know Vasquez gets burned by the alien she shoots, I never disputed that, because she shoots him right in the head where she has her leg so obviously it will splash on her.

N30RYU

Game looks good... but my friends are all split out... so if a game like Outriders have crossplay... I don't know why this also focused coop game doesn't have said option.

Spaceman292

Banned
Please tell me this isnt some Left4Dead style clone. I mean i like L4D, but i see this trailer and just think 'Hopefully this is what Aliens: Colonial Marines should of been'.
I'd take L4D over whatever the hell Colonial Marines was trying to be. L4D with xenomorphs should be a slam dunk.

Yeah, I'm just saying, you know. If it bleeds acid then there would be some kind of damage visible on the ship where the blood hit the surface but Yutani boys say that there were no traces of the alien. Nothing else, really.

And I know Vasquez gets burned by the alien she shoots, I never disputed that, because she shoots him right in the head where she has her leg so obviously it will splash on her.

Jeanette Goldstein nearly died filming those scenes. Apparently, the smoke in the APC covered so fast and toxic they began passing out.

This is a good listen.

mcz117chief

Jeanette Goldstein nearly died filming those scenes. Apparently, the smoke in the APC covered so fast and toxic they began passing out.

This is a good listen.

James Cameron has an odd record of almost getting his actors killed. Something similar happened in The Abyss in one of those diving scenes, Ed Harris almost drowned and most of the crew got nasty skin conditions if I recall correctly.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I think like most of the old cunts in here Aliens ranks as possibly one of the greatest movies of all time, ya gotta remember we all seen this in the cinema as fucking teenagers without the 14 billion fucking trailers, endlessly talked about blogs and set photos spoiling everything.. we went in blind apart from a few movie magazine covers and the odd tv spot and quite simply where blown away, event movies like Aliens, that are so fucking original AND good don't come around that often especially back in the day when you could smoke in a cinema lol So needless to say i've been waiting a fuck ton of years for a game to perfectly capture that feeling of letting loose an M41A Pulse rifle or better yet, Vasquez & Drake's M56 whilst simultaneously scaring the ballicks clean offa us...

This is not that game :-( looks like a poor man's L4D with an Alien Skin.. is it too much to ask to get something with the attention to detail and atmosphere of Alien Isolation, the open world design of Metro and marry it with the gun feel of a modern day COD?.. actually yeah i probably I'm asking too much, maybe before I'm fucking 70 I'll get a game that captures that feeling of sitting watching Aliens as teenager in a smokey cinema with a bird that was pissed off cause i wouldn't so much as look or say boo to her because my entire being was enraptured by what i was witnessing unfold on the big screen...

James Cameron has an odd record of almost getting his actors killed. Something similar happened in The Abyss in one of those diving scenes, Ed Harris almost drowned and most of the crew got nasty skin conditions if I recall correctly.

Wonder how long before he gets the Joss Whedon treatment?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Who does force you to play it online? There is still a single player option in it.
this

cod cold war zombies (SP mode)
Left For Dead 2 (SP mode)
Resident evil revelations 2 raid (SP mode)

bitches gonna cry no matter what they do

Last edited:

Muay Ninja

Animations are real janky. Other than that looks pretty basic. Keep working on it. =)

Was from Alpha footage apprently. Still time for that to be cleaned up a bit. I'm optimistic but cautious. Keeping my eye on this one for sure though at least. :)

Top Bottom