• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens is 30 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

It got wide release on July 18th, 1986 in North America.

I never saw it theaters, but did rent it from my mom and pop video store in glorious VHS.

I fell in love with the movie. I also remember the Konami beat em up. Not their best, especially compared to Turtles, Simpsons, Turtles in Time, but a fun quarter muncher.

Being a video game forum, the influence this movie had on gaming was massive!

I still prefer it over Alien, although I appreciate Alien a lot. Both are very different. Horror versus a balls to wall action flick.

Dennis

Banned
Alien and Aliens still hold up marvelously.

Too bad only two movies were ever made in this franchise. Had a lot of potential.

It got wide release on July 18th, 1986 in North America.

I never saw it theaters, but did rent it from my mom and pop video store in glorious VHS.

I fell in love with the movie. I also remember the Konami beat em up. Not their best, especially compared to Turtles, Simpsons, Turtles in Time, but a fun quarter muncher.

Being a video game forum, the influence this movie had on gaming was massive!

I still prefer it over Alien, although I appreciate Alien a lot. Both are very different. Horror versus a balls to wall action flick.

One of my favourite movies of all time, blew my mind the first time I saw it.

It it has had a huge influence on videogames.

jambo

This got me thinking.

Totally didn't realise that Alien is coming up on being 37 years since release.

World War II is closer to the release of Alien than 2016 is.

Zakalwe

Banned
I watched this for about the 100th time a few days ago (Alien/Aliens back to back) and both films hold up almost perfectly.

Aside from a few moments where the FX using a screen background look dated, the practical effects used in both films ensure these movies will always look marvellous.

They're both incredible films.

Aliens is still one of the great action/scifi films ever made. Maybe the greatest, actually, since The Thing isn't really an action movie by any stretch.

The pacing, the monsters, the endless array of classic lines...it's all so fucking good.

tumblr_n3y5jrIzSj1s2wio8o1_500.gif

what a showdown

gamz

Saw it in the theaters and it blew me away! I also saw a double feature later that year (on a date) with Aliens and The Fly which was glorious!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I saw a 70mm screening of it a couple of weeks ago, still an amazing experience at the cinema. Hard to believe we've gone 30 years without a quality Alien movie, but I guess that's testament to the originals. They are so good that people still want more even after three decades of putrid shit.

One day someone will make a true sequel to Aliens. One day...

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Alien and Aliens still hold up marvelously.

Too bad only two movies were ever made in this franchise. Had a lot of potential.

Alien 3 is not thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat bad. Alien 4 though. Seriously Alien 4 though. What the fuck.

Alien is still by far my favourite, Aliens is alright. It moves in a direction I don't care about.

entremet

I saw a 70mm screening of it a couple of weeks ago, still an amazing experience at the cinema. Hard to believe we've gone 30 years without a quality Alien movie, but I guess that's testament to the originals. They are so good that people still want more even though the sequels were so bad.

Damn. I really want to experience this bad boy on the big screen. I'm a huge cinema fan and this movie is definitely one to watch there.

Hopefully it gets some theatrical screenings given it's 30th anniversary.

Banned
I watched this for the first time a couple years back and I fell in love. Such an awesome movie. I love Alien and Aliens, they're some of my favourite movies of all time. I might give it a re-watch tonight.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
A theater near me are putting on a showing with the soundtrack from a Live orchestra, can't wait.

RangerX

Banned
One of my favourite movies ever. I must have seen it twenty times since I was a kid. A masterpiece of the highest order.

gamz

unlike terminator 1&2, alien and aliens are completely different movies, though.

I couldn't pick one and luckily I don't have to
Yeah, I don't bother with which is better. Both are classics from world class filmmakers.

Bishop89

That top gif. Watch the making of Aliens and how Cameron pulled off that shot. Holy crap the amount of camera tricks he had to use and it worked flawlessly.

Is the making of on youtube?

I have the bluray but its packed away as i'm renovating and had to move some stuff around.

mcz117chief

Too much action. Alien 1 and 3 are the only ones that I really enjoy, especially 3, 3 is a masterpiece and it could have been timeless if it weren't for a couple of those CGI scenes which really bring that movie down to 9.5/10.

Bill Paxton is a national treasure.

The only person in the world who has been eaten/killed by alien, predator and terminator :D

Alien is better, etc.

Aliens is such a great movie though. It's paced really well, the mounting dread until the explosion of action and then it just keeps on building on itself with wildly inventive and intense setpieces.

gamz

Is the making of on youtube?

I have the bluray but its packed away as i'm renovating and had to move some stuff around.

Yes, but it's really crappy copy. I think it's over 2 hours long or so. It shows how much work Cameron puts into a movie that goes way beyond directing it.

tumblr_mjtmb7De211rvaggno1_500.gif

tumblr_lrfw0gAtbZ1r2i593o1_500.gif

aliens-animated.gif

tumblr_n3y5jrIzSj1s2wio8o1_500.gif

tumblr_lz8x0nWf3b1qh01r8o1_500.gif

Best Alien movie.
In the Top 3 Action movies of all time.

These shots do a good job of highlighting the clarity Cameron went with for his cinematography and set design. Ridely used widescreen compositions and really detailed sets, dark shadows, and cluttered mise-en-scene to obfuscate a lot of the action and to hide the alien obviously enhancing the horror.

Cameron on the other hand uses very clear framing with bold colors, and simple shapes in order to really make the action pop. It almost looks like panels of a comic book.

JB1981

It is an action-horror classic but I do feel like it looks and feels like an 80s movie, if you know what I mean.

Going to see it tonight at a theater holding an anniversary screening, then going to Comic Con to buy a Newt action figure, get it signed by the actress that played her, and then going to the Aliens 30th anniversary panel on Saturday.

GOAT action-horror film.

It is an action-horror classic but I do feel like it looks and feels like an 80s movie, if you know what I mean.

I think it feels super 80s, but not in a bad way. Alien is always the one that felt like it could have been made any time in the last few decades to me.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Too much action.D

IMO this is a common misconception about the film, there's really only 3 full-on action scenes in the film which probably only take up about 25% on the running time, the rest of it is just a masterclass in mounting dread

I love both movies equally.

Btw, Aliens: Infestation for the DS is a really good metroidvania game for anyone looking for some extra Aliens goodness.

IMO this is a common misconception about the film, there's really only 3 full-on action scenes in the film which probably only take up about 25% on the running time, the rest of it is just a masterclass in mounting dread

Yeah, there's basically just:

The big firefight and aftermath under the reactors where you lose a huge chunk of the team and the dropship.

The entire "They're inside the room" sequence.

and

The finale stuff with the two showdowns between Ripley and the alien queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom