• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware Alpha first impressions and benchmarks

Pooya

dunno about Canada, but you can get the base model for $448 from amazon.com, i3 8GB, 1TB model is like $470 something which is worth it over the base. (edit, looks like the second one no longer applies, it was at that yesterday)

chrono01

dunno about Canada, but you can get the base model for $448 from amazon.com, i3 8GB, 1TB model is like $470 something which is worth it over the base.
Thanks for the information!

I did a bit of searching, and apparently we "did" have the base model available for $499, but it's since expired. I'll check occasionally and see if it becomes available again.

Here's hoping...

AIRic

I wonder if this would be a great upgrade from my current PC : an old AMD Phenom Quad-core, 4 GB Ram and a Nvidia GTX 570? I really like the compact size of this and I'm not the big gamer I used to be. I would still like to play GTAV and Far Cry 4 @ 1080p Med/High.

I'm looking at the i5 model with 8 GB of RAM.

I wonder if this would be a great upgrade from my current PC : an old AMD Phenom Quad-core, 4 GB Ram and a Nvidia GTX 570? I really like the compact size of this and I'm not the big gamer I used to be. I would still like to play GTAV and Far Cry 4 @ 1080p Med/High.

I'm looking at the i5 model with 8 GB of RAM.

Just comparing GPUs, significantly better (see this rough example as the GPU isn't a 750ti in the Alpha but it is comparable: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-750-Ti-vs-GeForce-GTX-570)

shoplifter

I'm not entirely happy with the hard disc, which I've heard folks complain about in the past (100% disk usage when installing The Old Republic, etc)

I'm looking at either a 7200rpm 1TB SSHD or a 256GB SSD. These options are $100ish. That's my budget. If I could afford it if get a 500GB SSD and be done with it.

Thoughts, comments? I'm concerned about the 256 only because at the sizes of many games that's 7-8 games installed at a time tops and I like to skip back and forth.

Pooya

Get a SSD, put the HDD in a USB3 enclosure and install your games on it. SSD for OS and stuff you need frequently.

IzzyF3

I have the i3 base Alpha. Should I buy Witcher 3 for PS4, Xbone, or Alpha? I threw in Xbone in there just in case Microsoft got some exclusive content or something.

Volimar

I might have the money to get the lowest tier Alpha next month. Money is tight and it takes ages to save up so would I be alright with the lowest tier? Medium settings are fine by me, I'm not huge into graphics. Would it play DA: Inquisition on medium settings okay? That's probably the most graphics intense game in my library right now.

Mareg

I might have the money to get the lowest tier Alpha next month. Money is tight and it takes ages to save up so would I be alright with the lowest tier? Medium settings are fine by me, I'm not huge into graphics. Would it play DA: Inquisition on medium settings okay? That's probably the most graphics intense game in my library right now.
The lowest tier still has the same gfx card then the top tier. You will be fine. The loading time will be bad but in-game should be fine. Oh and that windows boot up will feel like age.

You should be fine. :)

Fezan

How is witcher 3 and unity running on alpha. I might bite the bullet but keep in mind I have ps4. Is it equal or superior to console

thenexus6

I've found a used (for only a few months apparently) i5, 8GB ram, 1TB hard drive for £450 (normal price new is £620)

I am ....... tempted!

I've found a used (for only a few months apparently) i5, 8GB ram, 1TB hard drive for £450 (normal price new is £620)

I am ....... tempted!

wi8Ez1mwRcKGI.gif

thenexus6

Guy never replied, sent another email and its sold apparently.. Oh well.

I found the i3 on amazon for £430 (dell is £499) so might grab that.

I have a question about the ram, I want to upgrade to 8GB but would prefer just buying a 4GB stick to match the 4GB already in the alpha. Whats my best option? From what i'm aware its not a good idea to mix and match different brands right?

I did find this which seems reasonable

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005LDLV6S/

Edit: Also is anyone rocking a SSHD in their alpha? I can't afford a 512GB SSD but found a 1TB SSHD for a very good price.

Volimar

Pulled the trigger and ordered one. Didn't think I'd have enough to get a keyboard at the time but now it looks like I will. Wow, USB keyboards are cheap.

How is witcher 3 and unity running on alpha. I might bite the bullet but keep in mind I have ps4. Is it equal or superior to console

So i7 Model, I'm getting 30 FPS at 1080p at Medium graphics. High gets me 24-28 FPS. Running on Low gets about 32-34 FPS. (FPS according to FRAPS)

I read somewhere PS4 runs 900p 30FPS on High settings. Assuming that's correct, you could match that on the Alpha. I'd just prefer to medium and 1080p over high and 900p.

Edit: sorry for double post

So i7 Model, I'm getting 30 FPS at 1080p at Medium graphics. High gets me 24-28 FPS. Running on Low gets about 32-34 FPS. (FPS according to FRAPS)

I read somewhere PS4 runs 900p 30FPS on High settings. Assuming that's correct, you could match that on the Alpha. I'd just prefer to medium and 1080p over high and 900p.

1080p with most things on medium, I believe.

Also running this on the i7 model and I can verify the performance others are seeing on this platform.

What I would add is that the ability to tweak the settings makes the Alpha version a better option imo.

Turning off depth of field for instance gives a pretty good performance boost with no visible cost to IQ.

Any numbers after overclocking the GPU with MSI? May be enough to get High up to 28-32 fps

1080p with most things on medium, I believe.

Interesting. So then I guess basically what I'm doing is matching a PS4

Any numbers after overclocking the GPU with MSI? May be enough to get High up to 28-32 fps

I'll have to try it. I'm currently using the "default" medium without adjusting things and optimizing to get some things on high that I'm sure it could do. Eventually I just wanted to play the game a little bit though, haha. When I feel like tinkering, I'll let everyone know what settings I get with a stable 30 FPS.

dugdug

Banned
Does using a ps4 pad or Wii U pro still give you mouse control or is that specific to the 360 pad?

It's specific to the 360 controller. Can't even get it to work using an Xbox One controller.

Has anyone managed to get a ds4 working in console mode yet? I can't see any obvious way of doing it.

Nope. I've only been able to use my XB1 controller. I imagine it will depend on Sony releasing drivers for it, which it doesn't look like it will do. Shame, because I'd really like to use my DS4 instead.

I thought there might be some way of getting to task manager in console mode then installing ds4 windows but the task manger window disappears straight away.

Damaniel

Banned

The Alpha I bought for my sister (the i3 version that was on sale a couple weeks ago) seems to do about this well on medium settings with textures on Ultra. Seems to maintain 30fps just fine. Also note that the 4GB of RAM in the base model is downright criminal - the game was completely unplayable with stutter due to extensive swapping. Bumping up the total to 8 completely fixed that.

Won this from Alienware but wasn't comfortable keeping it as I post so much about the Alpha. :)

Listing of games: https://steamdb.info/sub/14/apps/

ModBot said:
Instructions for outunderthestars:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (outunderthestars, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

VCP.jpg

Valve Friends and Family Collection ($200 Plus in Valve games) -- MB-64C16210E314A355 - Taken by Dr.Acula. 99 entrants total.

t1433616454z1.png

Sorcerer

I am getting a Steam Machine in November but I figure the Alpha is close enough that my question would still apply.

1. I have already bought a 1 terrabyte ssd. When I replace the 7200 rpm drive should I buy an enclosure for it and put the games on the 7200 and just use the ssd for the operating system?

2. I know Alpha users got free games with their systems. It doesn't look like Steam Machine users will get any free games, (maybe thats why they chopped the price down to $450) but just in case were you given codes for the games or were they installed on the hard drive already?

If I replace the hard drive do I lose those games if they are preinstalled.

Thank's in advance for any information.

Top Bottom