• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware X51 thread of 2.56TFLOPS comfy couch gaming at 180W in a console size box

Status
Not open for further replies.

smr00

Banned
So i can put a 680 in this X51 and run an external PS? is the external PS a plug and go? Do i need to do any kind of modifications? I am tempted to just gut this machine and put it in a more airflow friendly and bigger case

mkenyon

Banned
So i can put a 680 in this X51 and run an external PS? is the external PS a plug and go? Do i need to do any kind of modifications? I am tempted to just gut this machine and put it in a more airflow friendly and bigger case
Why not just build a small form factor PC?

You're essentially abandoning every reason to get one of these in the first place with your proposed modifications. Might as well step up to a proper CPU/motherboard so you can OC that as well.

diffusionx

Gold Member

I would just buy a different case and build one from scratch.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Got my X51 last June and was wondering what kind of a jump in performance I'd see if I upgraded from the GTX 555 it came with to a GTX 660? Processor is an i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz, and I have the 330W PSU. I have an Oculus Rift on the way soon, and while it should be fine running on this given that I usually play at a higher resolution of 1920x1080 (Oculus dev kit runs at 1280x800), I may find that lower framerates could potentially dampen the experience in some games.

Plus a graphics card upgrade is something I at least consider once a year, and I always go for something under £200, so the GTX 660 fits the bill nicely.

I upgraded from a GTX 555 to a 660ti. The 3Dmark score more than doubled. It also made a lot more games playable at 1080p. I feel like it kind of unlocked this computer's potential.

Apocryphon

Got my X51 last June and was wondering what kind of a jump in performance I'd see if I upgraded from the GTX 555 it came with to a GTX 660? Processor is an i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz, and I have the 330W PSU. I have an Oculus Rift on the way soon, and while it should be fine running on this given that I usually play at a higher resolution of 1920x1080 (Oculus dev kit runs at 1280x800), I may find that lower framerates could potentially dampen the experience in some games.

Plus a graphics card upgrade is something I at least consider once a year, and I always go for something under £200, so the GTX 660 fits the bill nicely.

I'd consider the 670@ £288 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00829L3W0/

For the stereoscopic 3D in the Occulus to run at 60fps effective, your games will need to be running games at 120fps, so the more power you have available the better.

EDIT: Or not. I'm not actually sure you would need 120fps. Maybe just 1280 x 800 @ 60fps is all you need to render, even in 3D!?

Orbis

I upgraded from a GTX 555 to a 660ti. The 3Dmark score more than doubled. It also made a lot more games playable at 1080p. I feel like it kind of unlocked this computer's potential.
Hmm, yeah I just looked at the 3Dmark benchmarks and the difference is pretty big even to the 660. 660ti and 670 are even more impressive.

I'd consider the 670@ £288 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00829L3W0/

For the stereoscopic 3D in the Occulus to run at 60fps effective, your games will need to be running games at 120fps, so the more power you have available the better.

EDIT: Or not. I'm not actually sure you would need 120fps. Maybe just 1280 x 800 @ 60fps is all you need to render, even in 3D!?
Yeah it just uses a single 1280x800 frame so you can get away with 60fps. Unlike active shutter glasses where you'd alternate between a full-res left eye and full-res right eye image @ 120fps. Still, would be nice to beef it up a bit.

That card is certainly tempting, not sure if I want to spend that much but I'd certainly consider it now that I'm not a student.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Some people are already running Titans in their X51s

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4GcD5UjBZ-o

Edit: Nevermind just noticed he's using an external power supply.

Oh man, I love FreshyDeff, only he would be crazy enough to try a Titan in the X51.

He's a really sweet guy who loves to tinker with PC parts. In fact, he's the main reason why this thread even exists. When I modded my X51 it wasn't clear at all that a 7870 would run in it. He made the first video showing it does, that clip gave me confidence to buy one. It was really hard to angle it in, so I commented on one of his videos and he was nice enough to make a tutorial video for me on how to angle it in, he even calls me out on it. Super nice guy. No idea how he funds all the kit he orders.

I was pissing myself watching his Titan video - running a second massive PSU just for the Titan, then kicking Fan #2 out altogether to make space for the card (it's a shit fan that does little for cooling but is solely responsible for the 'jet engine effect' in a stock X51 anyway), yet the system still somehow sounding like a hoover, all shot in portrait mode, incredible, haha.

mkenyon

Banned
Chittagong, I sense a strong modder's heart in you. Before long, you'll be doing this:

900x900px-LL-4e5ec2e5_photos-080.jpeg

Orbis

Awwwwwww

I figured OR would be 120Hz. There goes my interest.
Well 120Hz in a normal 3D shutter glass scenario is just to accommodate the extra frame needed every second. So you're still only effectively getting 60Hz in your average 3D gaming setup, unless you've got a 240Hz monitor and run in 3D on that. Which I've never tried; probably looks awesome but sounds expensive. But it would be nice to have 120Hz OR though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Chittagong, I sense a strong modder's heart in you. Before long, you'll be doing this:

900x900px-LL-4e5ec2e5_photos-080.jpeg

Good lord, what is that :D

If it wasn't for aesthetic and noise I would be there right now, which is sad considering the X51 is pretty ugly and not whisper quiet either

I ordered my X51 from Amazon and they sent me an Aurora R4 by accident for the same price. Other than the massive size of this thing in terms of price paid I should be happy yes?

mkenyon

Banned
i7-3820
16 gigs of Ram
GTX 660
2TB Harddrive

All good for 899.00 but god damn this thing weighs a ton.
Got damn.

Deal of the century right there. You certainly can not build a 3820 + 660 PC for $900.

What kind of cooler on it? Could you take a pic of the motherboard area?

I ordered my X51 from Amazon and they sent me an Aurora R4 by accident for the same price. Other than the massive size of this thing in terms of price paid I should be happy yes?

Dude, thats a fucking steal, keep that shit. And you can upgrade the GPU with no hassle.

On that Titan Vid. How the fuck did he run a different power supply on that X51 for that Titan? Very curious about that.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Dude, thats a fucking steal, keep that shit. And you can upgrade the GPU with no hassle.

On that Titan Vid. How the fuck did he run a different power supply on that X51 for that Titan? Very curious about that.

It seems like he runs a second PSU directly to the video card, he seems to have a small opening for the cable to run out from the back to the ginormous PSU with fan you see behind the unit. So instead of drawing the X51 mobo for power, he runs the video card with a separate PSU. This is pretty a clever way to overcome the power requirement without using an unsanctioned PSU directly with the X51. Of course it negates the whole idea of a X51. I will be interested to see whether heat becomes an issue.

JB1981

I was gonna buy this but after adding a blu ray drive, office premium and a monitor i'm looking at spending over $1,800.00. i was going to go with the Dell 24" ultrasharp and that is over $500. Any other good deals on a 24" monitor that anyone knows of. i guess i could always just play downstairs on the plasma and get a monitor at a later time. Either way I'm spending at least $1200 on this.

mkenyon

Banned
Here you go:

RNhwyVJ.png

And what the hell does TN, VA, e-IPS, IPS, and PVA mean?

[BUDGET]
Vnp7oxv.png
K3aVSwe.png
$150 - ASUS VS229H-P
And any $100-$120 monitor that has decent reviews and is not an lesser brand. Many of the higher monitors also go on steep discounts.

[STANDARD]
Vnp7oxv.png
NshXVe8.png
$170 - ASUS VH236H . . . . .
ZPMCSbm.png
$185 - ASUS VS247H-P . .
PwszwID.png
$185 - ASUS VS239H-P

[ENHANCED]
Vnp7oxv.png
daCQQKF.png
$250 - ASUS VG23AH . . . . .
fQpPryp.png
$300 - Dell U2412M (16:10, no 1:1 scaling)

ASUS VG23AH if you don't wear glasses or glasses with any sort of filters/polarizers. It might be IPS/PLS but it has the best 60hz performance of ANY monitor on the market and can be driven to run at 72hz or 75hz with this program and these settings. Go for the Dell if you want 16:10 and super crisp colors.

[120Hz]
Vnp7oxv.png
hnmn6lJ.png
$250 - ASUS VG236H . . . . .
87owNtW.png
$400 - BenQ XL2420T . .
OWK09mF.png
$250-400 Samsung S23A700/750D

120hz monitors can be hard to find right now, possibly due to an upcoming refresh from ASUS and Samsung. 700D has dual link DVI only for 120Hz, 750D has displayport only. BenQ has the worst colors of the three, but a matte screen and a great stand.

[2560x1440 IPS]
Vnp7oxv.png

Z1aMI4H.png
~$500 Crossover 27Q LED-P
f3qHFr6.png
$800 - Viewsonic VP2770-LED

Crossover is available through Ebay, pixel perfect versions come at a premium. It has the same panel as the Apple Cinema Display. The VP2770 has a lower input lag at 7ms. Both are 1440p.

I'd add the ASUS VG248QE as the best 24" monitor to buy at the moment.

smr00

Banned
Has anyone overclocked the 660? Any tips/guides? interested in fooling around with it if it can help boost performance.

RoyalFool

Banned
I stopped buying console games about a year or so ago due to the graphics falling so far behind their PC counter-parts, was hoping just to hold off until the next gen systems but it's now looking like I'll be missing too many great games so want to get something to tide me over.

Thinking of picking up the current middle spec system (i5/8gb/GTX660) - Any idea how this will handle Bioshock Infinite (also X-Com and Dota2)? Or will the performance not really be much better than if I just gritted my teeth and picked up the console versions.

Thanks in advance!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Question about OS. Will Windows 8 present any compatibility issues that Windows 7 will not???

I have had literally zero issues with Windows 8. Zero. Also I find the metro UI great for sofa use. Creating tiles is more hassle than it needs to be, but considering that most online opinions lead you to believe W8 gives you cancer at the very least, it's not too shabby.

kharma45

Yeah 8 is a lot better than everyone says. If you can't stomach Metro after trying it (and when I say I try I mean force yourself to deal with it for a month) you can just install something like Classic Shell and you still end up with an OS better than Windows 7.

liquidfox00

Neo Member
I have had literally zero issues with Windows 8. Zero. Also I find the metro UI great for sofa use. Creating tiles is more hassle than it needs to be, but considering that most online opinions lead you to believe W8 gives you cancer at the very least, it's not too shabby.

I'll second this. I haven't had any compatibility issues with windows 8. I have the i7/660/8gigs model and it's been fairly smooth sailing besides my complete PC noobiness when it comes to certain things. I couldn't be happier with this little system.

I do think i'm going to upgrade the 660 to a 670ftw in the near future though. I bought this for couch gaming and it complements my 360 very well. I basically use the 360 for COD with friends and the x51 for everything else. I'm also pretty sure that Steam sales, GMG and other sites have saved me probably close to $500 since I bought the system last December on games that I would have bought anyway for the 360.

Highly recommended if you're just getting into PC gaming.

JB1981

Can you use a regular X360 wireless controller or do you have to buy the Windows based version? I have like 4 controllers and would like to save the money

Tobor

Can you use a regular X360 wireless controller or do you have to buy the Windows based version? I have like 4 controllers and would like to save the money

You need the wireless dongle and they don't sell it separately any more. You might be able to find one if you look around.

mkenyon

Banned
So.. what are some other options for powerful, small form factor PCs? The X51 is... ugly.
Get someone from PC GAF to build it for you or help you build one.

The other SFF PC's out there have either really strange specs or are really overpriced.

Here are pics of the most popular SFF cases.

Fractal Node 304:

Silverstone FT03 Mini:

BitFenix Prodigy

Silverstone SG05:

Some new high end ones, first is a TripT CC Compact Splash, second is the CaseLabs Mercury S3

JB1981

Get someone from PC GAF to build it for you or help you build one.

The other SFF PC's out there have either really strange specs or are really overpriced.

Here are pics of the most popular SFF cases.

Fractal Node 304:

Silverstone FT03 Mini:

BitFenix Prodigy

Silverstone SG05:

Some new high end ones, first is a TripT CC Compact Splash, second is the CaseLabs Mercury S3

Wait people in the PC Gaf threads are building PCs for fellow gaffers now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom