• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Mainline Grand Theft Auto Games Ranked From Great To Phenomenal

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Grand Theft Auto series is more than capable of raking in record profits, scoring well with mainstream reviewers, and satisfying millions of gamers of all persuasions. It is nothing less than a juggernaut of gaming prowess at this point, and is regarded as such by most.

With that the series has taken some unexpected turns on its way to where it is now. From the top-down adventures of the mid-90’s to the streets of 2013 Los Santos, here’s all of the GTA games ranked. As a quick disclaimer, this will be mainly focused on mainline releases.

My personal ranking:

7. Grand Theft Auto
6. Grand Theft Auto 2
5. Grand Theft Auto V
4. Grand Theft Auto IV
3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
2. Grand Theft Auto III
1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Also, I'm sure it goes without saying that the Claude in GTA 2 is not the same Claude from GTA III (and San Andreas). Along with GTA 2's retro-futuristic art design, the game is thought to take place in year 2013 based on the dates of some police files on the game's official site here.

The games are separated by different eras - 2D, 3D, and HD. GTA IV, Episodes from Liberty City, and GTA V are part of the still ongoing HD era.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
  1. San Andreas (easily my top GTA, memorable characters, great missions, and variety of vehicles)
  2. Vice City (Great setting, fun story, fun characters, music)
  3. V (overall had a great time, but I could almost switch this and III)
  4. III (such a classic game, lots of memories)
  5. IV (would probably be last if not for Episodes)
  6. Vice City Stories (Good to be back in VC)
  7. Liberty City Stories (Kind of bland, but nostalgia was great)
  8. Chinatown Wars (Great retro style and fun minigames)
Haven't played the rest enough to list them.

Paltheos

1) Vice City
2) III
3) San Andreas
4) IV

Seems about right. Vice City is really something. The '80s aesthetic together with the improvements on III's formula catapult it to the top. That radio is the best in the series too, hands down. San Andreas makes some further improvements but it never grabbed me the same way - I liked the stories of conquest in the other games and the systems they employed more, and the decision ton include vast stretches of empty, non-city are a mistake imo. IV continues to be worse outright by doing away with so much of the cartoony physics, but then again, this is (among other reasons) why Crackdown 1 rules the roost.

Sleepwalker

San Andreas was one of the first games I actually 100%d, I fell in love with that game hard so it's the best for me. So many HS memories involve San Andreas multiplayer too.

I enjoyed vice city a lot, thought IV and the DLC were a bit meh, and I liked V on the PS3 (I never double dipped this gen, fuck that).

Last edited:

DonJimbo

I tried to play GTA back in the day but never befriended myself with the series what I'm doing wrong any suggestions and recommendations to do to like and enjoy the games

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
1. Vice City
2. San Andreas
3. GTA 3
4. GTA 5
5. GTA 4
6. GTA 2
7. GTA

I actually played a shitload of 2 back in the day, more than I ever played of 4 or 5, but I wouldn't be too interested now. 5 ranks highly because it blew my mind at the time, but less so over time. 4 I was disappointed on release then less so when I replayed it.

The PS2 trilogy is just completely timeless though, it won't be topped.

Last edited:

Reficul

SELECT * FROM GTA
ORDER BY ReleaseDate DESC

Thats my list.
Maybe I would change the release date of GTA IV to before SA, but it's a close call.

But I have to say that I was amazed by III in a way that has been hard to reproduce in later titles.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
GTA Vice City marked my life for good, its in my top 3 games of my life. Soon after I bought San Andreas but I wasnt really feeling it. It felt less.....warm or something along the lines. Difficult to explain.
Vice city was something else. My game of all time. Nothing has come close

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Most fun- Gta 2
Most played- gta vice city.
I liked 4 more than 5 because focused story, but none of them special games, can't remember any story detail or funny gameplay moment.

Birdo

Banned
Mine:

1. GTA 5
2. GTA San Andreas
3. GTA 3
4. GTA 4
5. GTA Vice City
6. GTA
7. GTA 2

(Just want to point out that I skip all cutscenes, so characters mean nothing to me)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
3 without question, big time moments, you can go back 20+ years later and it’s still good.

Teslerum

GTA 2 massively underrated. There are elements of that game I'm still hugely disappointed by that they didn't get continued in future titles.

Roufianos

3 was mind blowing back in the day and is definitely my favourite. San Andreas and VC may be objectively better but they could never have the same wow factor.

IV is dog shit.

Bluecondor

1. San Andreas (easily my top GTA, memorable characters, great missions, and variety of vehicles)
  2. Vice City (Great setting, fun story, fun characters, music)
  3. V (overall had a great time, but I could almost switch this and III)
  4. III (such a classic game, lots of memories)
  5. IV (would probably be last if not for Episodes)
  6. Vice City Stories (Good to be back in VC)
  7. Liberty City Stories (Kind of bland, but nostalgia was great)
  8. Chinatown Wars (Great retro style and fun minigames)
Haven't played the rest enough to list them.

Chinatown Wars on Nintendo was such a great game.

I don't mean to take this off in a tangent, but I have been playing Ring Fit Adventures on the Switch lately using the Ring Fit Controller. If Rockstar released a version of Chinatown Wars that could be played using the the Ring Fit Controller (imagine shoot out mini-games and drug dealing mini-games using the Ring Fit controller - i.e. shoot outs would be leg exercises, drug dealing would be core exercises and so on), it would immediately become my go-to game for 30 minutes a day.

Thabass

My list:

1. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
2. Grand Theft Auto V
3. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
4. Grand Theft Auto 3
5. Grand Theft Auto 2
6. Grand Theft Auto 4
7. Grand Theft Auto

Vice City captured my heart. It's exactly what I wanted out of a game and I really want Rockstar to give the city a new fresh coat of paint. I really hope GTAVI is going to Vice City again. I need it in my veins.

I’ll be honest I’ve never played GTA 1/2 for more then 10 minutes so if I had to rank my own...
  1. Vice City
  2. IV
  3. San Andreas
  4. BOGT/TLAD
  5. III
  6. V

Arkam

1. Vice City
2. GTA III
3. GTA V
4. Chinatown Wars
5. San Andreas or IV.... both were fun, but neither one hooked me like the first four in my list.

DonJimbo

SELECT * FROM GTA
ORDER BY ReleaseDate DESC

Thats my list.
Maybe I would change the release date of GTA IV to before SA, but it's a close call.

But I have to say that I was amazed by III in a way that has been hard to reproduce in later titles.
The best way ever hail SQL :)

If it weren't for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas having so much to do in a GTA game, I would have put Grand Theft Auto III on my number one spot. As a location, I like Liberty City the most, and think it has the best map layout and my favorite atmosphere (overcast and rainy). It's another reason I prefer GTA IV to GTA V but also because GTA V, in terms of what you could do, was underwhelming compared to San Andreas on the PS2.

GTA VI should prove interesting though, assuming we see a new rendition of Vice City and whether or not there's a lot to do.

Sethbacca

Vice City # 1 by far, if only for the 80s atmosphere and the soundtrack. I'd love another 70s or 80s based GTA.

Last edited:
Top Bottom