• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

Tyaren

Stand by me was definitely playing yesterday. Because I remember thinking that they still let it end too abruptly when the Cindy cutscene starts.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Maybe play it in its native tongue that it was designed for?
I don't understand Japanese, and I dont' consider the acting very good in that regard either.

Before you bring up The Witcher 3, it was still designed with Western mannerisms in mind but the Polish dub matches the characters better anyway IMO (I did't find the VAing of Geralt in ENG to be that great either). And before you bring up according to GAF, Japanese voice acting isn't natural or great either, it's what the Japanese audience likes according to the tons of seiyuu awards that exist and the fact that the VAing biz of Japan is probably the biggest one.
The VA biz is probably the biggest due to the oversaturation of anime, hundreds are released each year, it's undoubtedly a quantity over quality situation.

Maybe consume the tons of Japanese voiced award winning performances and decide if it's good or bad for yourself? It's fine if foreign language just isn't your thing though. (some side note/tangent that I didn't feel like properly crafting a reason for: the Spanish sections in Breaking Bad were godawful despite the rest of the series' acting being so good)
I'd rather watch award winning live action Japanese properties, I have absolutely no issue watching foreign films in anyway shape or form, some of my favorite films are foreign, even some from the east, like The Assassin.

TLOU and Souls games aren't even good comparisons to make. The style of those games' narrative are completely different. First, TLOU being a shorter/smaller game is a reason it can have such a good and tightly focused narrative.
There are open world games with tightly focused narraitives.

Second, the NPC's mouths don't even move when they speak in Souls games, and there's rarely even a conversation between 2 or more characters (or none?).
I suspect that this is likely the reason the actors are allowed to express themselves as well as they do, instead of ADR they're just purely acting. I've criticized souls games multiple times on this forum for having very below par presentation in terms of narrative.

There's also other reasons why they aren't good comparisons to make in terms of VAing quality but I won't go into them. Fact is, localizing Japanese games are just more difficult because of how they're written and structured and they obviously do not throw tons of money at the localization. That doesn't make the VAing in the ENG version objectively awful.
I mean it explains a lot of the ways why we get subpar acting, writing, and dialogue. Coupled with the complacency of fans thinking that bad acting, VA, and performances are something that's inherently Japanese.

Falk

that puzzling face
What do you think of Bollywood dance routines out of curiosity?

edit: To be clear, no snark here. I'm actually pretty into Indian cinema and I can see many reasons why it doesn't have a broader international appeal outside of rarities like Slumdog Millionaire. Wondering if you've ever had thoughts on that as it's something that's pretty much a cultural barrier at play.

Yesterday I went to Hamburg's red-light district. The well known "Reeperbahn".
To play FFXV, of course!

Liked the attention to detail: ;)
Don't know if I'm allowed to post any pics of the games running, so I'll refrain from doing that. You could play through the 5 chapter preview that is talked about here, but I only managed to get through the 1st one.
I'm surprised that you could easily leave the game and browse through settings of the debug consoles.

Just wanted to mention that I noticed the game reloading if you want to switch from the japanese to a different language and vice versa. I guess the other languages all share the same english lip flaps?
Have to repeat that I liked what I heard of the german dub (especially Noctis and his father), though I'll probably still stick to japanese, considering that I've gotten used to the japanese voices.
Was a fun little event.

img_2996piuvn.jpg

Haha, that's awesome! Good thing they didn't put characters like Kuja and Lightning, it would have been more confusing :p

Yesterday I went to Hamburg's red-light district. The well known "Reeperbahn".
To play FFXV, of course!

Liked the attention to detail: ;)
Don't know if I'm allowed to post any pics of the games running, so I'll refrain from doing that. You could play through the 5 chapter preview that is talked about here, but I only managed to get through the 1st one.
I'm surprised that you could easily leave the game and browse through settings of the debug consoles.

Just wanted to mention that I noticed the game reloading if you want to switch from the japanese to a different language and vice versa. I guess the other languages all share the same english lip flaps?
Have to repeat that I liked what I heard of the german dub (especially Noctis and his father), though I'll probably still stick to japanese, considering that I've gotten used to the japanese voices.
Was a fun little event.

About the language switching. It's possible to switch just the subtitles but keep the other texts like Magic, weapons and etc in other language?

Ruruja

I think my main issue with this game's visuals is the horrendous lip syncing during in-gameplay cutscenes (Like the chatting with Dino, for example). I know that the entire game cannot be mo-capped, but holy shit it looks bad.

I have zero issues with the normal cinematics, but the gameplay ones look waaaay off for this reason.

Yeah, it always takes me right out of it.

I don't know how the Yakuza series does it, but their lip-syncing is godly for every cutscene.

About the language switching. It's possible to switch just the subtitles but keep the other texts like Magic, weapons and etc in other language?
I don't think that's possible, unfortunately. At least I don't remeber that kind of menu option.
I would consider doing that myself. Too used to english item/spell descriptions.

Ruruja

Well, it's in Japanese. I think the problem in this case is the English voices.

Yeah but they've tried to sync it to English voices in the English dub, just not very well.

I just remembered there's quite a few more dubs in the game though, so I'll let them off.

cackhyena

Do we know if there are more exotic locations they just haven't been showing off much? I'm still getting this because I need to delve into some fantasy bullshit rn, but God the setting so far has been bland as hell for the most part.

Gbraga

Do we know if there are more exotic locations they just haven't been showing off much? I'm still getting this because I need to delve into some fantasy bullshit rn, but God the setting so far has been bland as hell for the most part.

We didn't actually see much of it, but the director did say in more than one occasion that the idea was to start with a more familiar and grounded setting, in order to be able to more easily get new players on board, and as the story progresses, it gets more and more into fantasy territory, serving as both a payoff for old fans and an introduction to proper Final Fantasy for people new to the series.

So far, the most fantasy place we've seen is probably Tenebrae:

Gbraga

In before: 6/10.

I'm fine with 6 as long as the reasons for that are just the reviewer not liking the game. If it's a 6 because no matter what he thinks of the content, it just doesn't work, crashes constantly and shit like that, then I'll get really worried.

cackhyena

We didn't actually see much of it, but the director did say in more than one occasion that the idea was to start with a more familiar and grounded setting, in order to be able to more easily get new players on board, and as the story progresses, it gets more and more into fantasy territory, serving as both a payoff for old fans and an introduction to proper Final Fantasy for people new to the series.

So far, the most fantasy place we've seen is probably Tenebrae:
Okay good to hear. Thanks.

It was great to see more from Eurogamer. (I was pleasantly surprised when it popped up on my YouTube recommended list. Sequel!) Aoife disparing at the casual outfits was glorious, and the Iris date commentary between her and Chris was hilarious. The final creature encountered on the video was goddamn impressive, I'd only seen dodgy cam footage previously.

The constant large quest/experience updates in the middle of the screen still drive me absolutely batshit, though, especially if it's in a cutscene. It's ludicrously intrusive for something that is rarely offering important information, and it pops up so frequently that it feels patronising. 'Walk five steps.' Quest completed! I don't suppose it can be turned off? FFXV tries to make the players experience seamless in so many ways, and to have this big intrusive pop-up continually disrupts the immersion. I was having this problem with the demo the other day, too, sigh.

aitakute

It was great to see more from Eurogamer. (I was pleasantly surprised when it popped up on my YouTube recommended list. Sequel!) Aoife disparing at the casual outfits was glorious, and the Iris date commentary between her and Chris was hilarious. The final creature encountered on the video was goddamn impressive, I'd only seen dodgy cam footage previously.

The constant large quest/experience updates in the middle of the screen still drive me absolutely batshit, though, especially if it's in a cutscene. It's ludicrously intrusive for something that is rarely offering important information, and it pops up so frequently that it feels patronising. 'Walk five steps.' Quest completed! I don't suppose it can be turned off? FFXV tries to make the players experience seamless in so many ways, and to have this big intrusive pop-up continually disrupts the immersion. I was having this problem with the demo the other day, too, sigh.
You can turn it off

Man, Midgarsormr looks incredible

Gbraga

Kinda cool that you can choose to chocobo over to Lestallum instead of drive if you want to.

insta.gif

That's really good to know! It'll be very useful for replays. I'm really excited about just looking around listening to their conversations while Ignis drives, but I don't think it'll be as exciting on my second playthrough. Just running everywhere with a Chocobo sounds a lot more appealing.

Tyaren

Saw another classic Final Fantasy enemy I haven't seen in a while in this video, at least one I remember from Final Fantasy VII. Those leopard/cheetah-like enemies with the long tentacles...cool!

EDIT: the animation looks a little bit rough on that one, though...but it's still cool to see.

The coeurl? Yes, I found it's animations unnatural, especially compared to the other enemies in the game, which act so stunningly life-like. The coeurl looked like how an enemy in a "normal" RPG/JRPG would be animated.

The coeurl? Yes, I found it's animations unnatural, especially compared to the other enemies in the game, which act so stunningly life-like. The coeurl looked like how an enemy in a "normal" RPG/JRPG would be animated.

Define "normal" because I don't see it. I see varied animation on this enemy.

Tyaren

Define "normal" because I don't see it. I see varied animation on this enemy.

With that I meant not Final Fantasy XV. ;)
Let's be honest, the models and animations of all other characters and enemies are amazing. The coeurl animated half as smooth and natural though and his huge whisker-things were just weirdly flopping around and they had few joints/polygons.

With that I meant not Final Fantasy XV. ;)
Let's be honest, the models and animations of all other characters and enemies are amazing. The coeurl animated half as smooth and natural though and his huge whisker-things were just weirdly flopping around and they had few joints/polygons.

haaaa, I see what you mean, in that case yes : not normal ;)

but in another news, an interview with Tabata has been released with Gameblog today ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X_eAM9svuI ), french gaming website and Tabata had some interesting informations to share about the introduction, the linearity and how summons will be invoked in the game :

1. About Chapter 0
Why starting with the ifrit battle 10 years after the events of FFXV?

Tabata says that it was to put the player in the action right from the beginning and that they would feel interested from the get go by what was happening. The fight is a rememberance of what Final Fantasy II did at the time for its idea of starting the game with a boss you cannot win against. It was revolutionary at the time and he wanted to bring back this memory for this game.

2. About the first scene with the car being pushed by the bros

Why starting the game with the bros pushing the car ?

Tabata says that this scene does have a meaning later in the game (he can't reveal why ftm) and that at the same time it marks the beginning of a journey, but when the player will discover why later in the story, they will remember this scene as something important and as a "feel good" moment.

3. About the linearity :

With FFXIII starting as a corridor and finishing with an open world area, does it feel right to say that FFXV will start as an open world and will finish in a corridor ?

Tabata says that people misunderstood what he wanted to say about the linearity. It's not an open world that gets transformed suddently into a corridor. During the events of the game, players will have a lot of freedom in regards of what they can do, and when they'll feel that enough has been discovered/explored, the scenaristic elements that will follow will be unleashed at a rapid pace, like in a classic Final Fantasy story.

4. (bonus) About the PS4 Pro

How will the game look on PS4 Pro ?

Tabata says that franckly, he didn't start to work yet on the "real" PS4 Pro optimization (the one supposed to arrive in december), but assure the fans that when the regular PS4 and PS4 Pro version will be next to each other, the difference will be very substential and ask the players to look after it when it will be properly done.

5. On how the summons will be invoked in the game

On the question on how the summon will be called, Tabata says that they will not be called randomly during a fight, and that they will have their own free will on how they will want to help the player. They have worked hard to make the summons meaningful in their execution and that for Tabata, it was important that the player feel that those creatures have their own will and a certain initiative on when they feel is the best time to help the player.

So yeah, some new infos with others that we already knew. I've put everything in spoiler tag because the game is releasing really soon, so maybe some people would want to know by themselves how the summons works for example on their own.

Top Bottom