• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All of Rome 2 Total War's factions have been revealed!

Martian

Or will there be one more?

The 8 playable factions:

Rome_Faction.png

Of course, Rome 2 Total War would suck if it didn't include Rome, wouldn't it? Replacing the 4 factions from the first Rome: Total War, the Roman Empire now is combined into one unstoppable force. And they will have to be relentless and unfearing, should they want to survive the danger looming from all sides.

“Strength, honour, duty.”

The Roman Republic is in a period of major growth. Pyrrhus and his invading Greek warriors have been driven from the shores of Italy, and the burgeoning Republic boasts the military muscle to match its ambition. Rome is the dominant power on the Italian peninsula, and stands at a turning point in history. But to expand, she must conquer. To the North lies the Etruscan League, and beyond, the Barbarian lands. To the east lie the Greeks, and to the south and west, the Carthaginians…

700px-FactionRevealRome1.jpg

Carthage_Faction.png

As this game is set to start around 243 BCE, Rome will have yet to conquer its greatest enemy: Carthage. Its main city lies in todays Tunis, and will have to cross miles of water before it can fight Rome on its own lands.
Of course, it could always cross the alps with elephants....

“Democracy, commerce, faith"

The beating heart of Carthage is the city itself, a major port and bustling trade hub nestling on the North African coast. Since gaining independence from its Phoenician forbears, it has quickly established a considerable military, naval and trade empire of its own. Holding the same polytheistic beliefs as their ancestors, the Carthaginians worship many gods, chief amongst them Ba’al Hammon, The Ruler Of The Multitudes, and Tanit, the patron goddess of Carthage itself. Many people believe that child sacrifice takes place at their temples.

700px-Carthage_sacredband.jpg

MacedonTrans100x100.png

As remnants of the golden days of Alexander the Great, the Macedonians still have an empire worth fearing. With their competent leaders and unstoppable phalanxes, Macedon should be able to deal a few blowing hits against their superior neighbours without taking many casualties.

The Greek Cities from Rome 1 have been split up into smaller, independent
unplayable until DLC
city-states, and has been replace by Macedon as most prominent phalanx-using warmachine.

“Glory, order, power.”

Desperate to reclaim its past glory, Macedon finds itself locked into its pre-Alexandrian borders by the Illyrians, Thracians and Greek city states on all sides. Can the Macedonian Empire rise again under a new Alexander?

700px-Macedon_Shield_Bearers.png

Iceni_mon_256.png

The Iceni. A mighty force on the British Isles, meaning they will have the choice to conquer all the islands before moving to the continent, or they could rush into unknown territory to surprise their enemies. Replacing the Britons from the first Rome Total War, Creative Assembly brings you: Jersey Shore Briton (with blue hair).

“Iron, conquest, pride.”

An Iron Age tribe of southern Britain, the Iceni are a proud and fierce people. They inhabit the flatlands, marshes and fens that border the North Sea, south of the Wash. They are practiced raiders, and frequently engage in battle with their tribal neighbours, the Coritani and Atrebates.

700px-PaintedOnes.jpg

Averni_ico.png

The tribes of Gaul have bowed before the Averni. With generals instilling fear in their every enemy, the Averni are a faction to be reckoned with. But are they able to withstand Rome’s power? Or will they like many other tribes kneel before the mighty Centurions of Rome?
except for one small village in Bretagne

“Belief, dignity, power.”

Descended from a long line of Celts, the warlike Arverni are one of the most powerful tribes of central Gaul. Far more than mere barbarian looters and raiders, they have a complex and sophisticated culture centred at Nemossos, their stronghold near the Gergovia plateau.

700px-Arverni_OathSworn.jpg

Mon_256icon.png

Carrying axes and other sharp weapons, these men from today’s Germany are sure to make life difficult for a lot of unwilling people. The Suebi can choose to attack their nearest of kin, or form an alliance and charge southwards towards the quickly expanding Roman Empire.

“Blood, Nobility, Courage.”
The Suebi are an indomitable Germanic culture dwelling to the north east of Gaul. Not a single people, but rather numerous tribes sharing a common language and similar religious beliefs, they frequently raid their Gallic neighbours across the Rhine.

700px-Suebi_berserkers_TWR2.png

R2_logomon_256.png

2013’s Rome Total War will have its map stretched further east, meaning that even the mightiest of realms will have to face the deadly and unforgiving powers rising from the east. Parthia, with it’s swift horses and deadly arrows will be a challenge once again.

“Tolerance, justice, profit”
The ascension to power of Arsaces, leader of the Parni tribe, assured them victory against the Seleucid protectorate of Parthava, who had been weakened in their attempts to break free of Greco-Macedonian rule. Thus began the rise of Parthia, an eastern empire comparable to the Achaemenid dynasty of old and one of the few who came close to matching the power and wealth of Rome.

700px-ParthiaRoyalCataphracts.png

Egypt_mon_256.png

The final faction: Egypt. Once a shell of it’s former might, Egypt still stands and is back on its return to the most powerful factions. While Rome grows in the North-West, Egypt has the space and resources to form a worthy adversary.

“Legacy, independence, power.”
Ptolemaic Egypt has close cultural ties to the Hellenistic world, while maintaining many Egyptian traditions. Founded by Ptolemy in 305BC following the death of Alexander the Great, it has become a centre of culture and trade under the influence of its Macedonian rulers.

700px-EgyptPikemen.png

RP_Icon_Wiki2.png

Or will there be one more faction?
This icon has appeared below the faction listing, and together with this Tweet we may be in for another treat.

My guess is they will announce another playable faction (perhaps the Seleucids?) or the icon means they will show off all the other non-playable factions.

More information

NEW FACTION: Pontus

Pontus1.png

700px-PonticRoyalCavalry.jpg

Pontus, or wherearetheseleucids, a fusion between the western world and the eastern world.
Both the Persians and the Greeks have left their mark in this land.
Ruled by mighty kings, this kindom in modern-day Turkey will have to fight on all borders.

Also:

Pontus will be available day one through a free content update to the core Total War: ROME II game.

Sounds like they listened to the '8 factions isn't enough' -plea. My guess is they later decided to make it playable, because why not release it immediately?

sibarraz

Banned
Hey guys, I bought the total war collection during steam sales, so I had pretty much all of them, could some of you give some advice to be introduced into the series? with which one should I start?

Martian

Nice catch. Ill add it.

My guess is they will reveal more info in Rally Point?

Hey guys, I bought the total war collection during steam sales, so I had pretty much all of them, could some of you give some advice to be introduced into the series? with which one should I start?

You'll hear a lot of people say this, but: Start with Rome: Total War
It has some flaws that the later games flush out, but the game is brilliant. The factions are very balanced out and each faction has its own unique feeling to it.
The battles are also a lot easier in R:TW, so to start the series, Rome would be the best choice.

Just don't get frustrated as your General charges into hoplites after telling him to run away:p

My favourite is Medieval 2 Total War, because I find the medieval times the most interesting.
Shogun 2 is a lot of fun, but I feel there is less diversity (kind of a given).

Also prepare your free time, as I have spent waaaaay to much time on the series.

Medieval 2 is probably 350 hrs, rome 50 hrs, shogun 2 100 hrs.

Also I feel Empire Total War and Napoleon are not as awesome as their brothers, but that's mostly because of the timeframe they're set in

Sober

Just like to point out that each faction has three dynasties or subfactions (I can only assume that's what the quotes are for) that give different bonuses to your faction. I also believe I read somewhere that you get a bonus to attacking a similar faction, so you might expect to see more factions trying to unify (Greece, etc).

Veezy

que?

I'd like to know this, as well.

I find Rome Total War to be incredibly impenetrable. Seems like I'm just constantly chasing the enemy around and around wondering what the point of this game is and then I altF4+delete local content.

injurai

Banned

Shogun 2, especially If you are a Civ fan. It has a great macro level gameplay. However the factions are a bit less diverse feeling.

I find Rome Total War to be incredibly impenetrable. Seems like I'm just constantly chasing the enemy around and around wondering what the point of this game is and then I altF4+delete local content.

I got sucked so hard in Shogun 2. Maybe it will play the same ? I really don't feel anything special about the Roman Setting but if it's anything as fun, deep and beautiful as Shogun 2 then I'm in

Shogun 2. My first Total War war and first rts/strategy game in almost a decade. I just couldn't play any of this genre before it. Shogun 2 is easy and have beautifully crafted tutorial and learning curves. Also, mods. Gold Edition coming soon I heard for the full experience. The vanilla game is amazing. Fall of Samurai stand alone is arguably even better

Martian

Can't wait for this, any word on a release date yet?

They said somewhere around the end of 2013, October/November/December

Where are the Seleucids? They were one of the most powerful of the Mediterranean powers in 243 BC, seems odd to forget them.

They probably will release them with DLC, because money.

But around that time its power was shrinking, so maybe the Seleucids are more suited for an expansion before this timeframe.

Hystzen

I like fact Macedonia is main faction for Greeks now

Hmm no Spain faction but I do tend to prefer Total War games when they limit playable factions making them more in depth instead

Hari Seldon

Was really hoping for the Scythians. I want some horse archer super kiting Genghis Kahn style action in Total War really bad. They really need to hit up the mongols in some future game.

Can my general go bonkers and start saying weird stuff at the start of battles in this one?

The very deep trait system is my single favorite thing about R:TW, and I hate how they've stripped it out of later titles. :(

They probably will release them with DLC, because money.

But around that time its power was shrinking, so maybe the Seleucids are more suited for an expansion before this timeframe.

Eh, even though their power was shrinking, they were still one of the greatest powers of the period and played a major role in the events of the first 100 years of the game. Heck, given the game is called Rome, if one of the diadochi is to be left out it should be the Ptolomys since all they did was fight with the other 2 diadocis during most of the time period.

An earlier expansion would be cool idea, do the rise of Rome in Italy, rise of Carthage, and the diadochi wars. The Seleucids still need to be in the game though. If the DLC shenanigans really have reached a level were a key major power in a historicalish game is left out for DLC then I've lost all interest in this game.

Was really hoping for the Scythians. I want some horse archer super kiting Genghis Kahn style action in Total War really bad. They really need to hit up the mongols in some future game.

Now that would be acceptable DLC. Scythians, Armenia, Pontus, Dacia, Celtiberians, Lusitan, Numidia, kingdoms/peoples that aren't critical to the time period but add flavor for those who want it.

I get a feeling this one is going to be slightly dumbed down just a fraction more from the previous, to make it the 'biggest and best' Total War yet and to ensure it appeals to more people.

Really galling really that this is the inevitable path of a series that grows in popularity.

The vanilla game will be way too easy, so I'm not touching this until there is a mod of the same quality as Barbarorum or Stainless Steel, which I've put about 200 hours into.

The good mods for TW are infinitely better thanthe vanilla releases.

Sober

I get a feeling this one is going to be slightly dumbed down just a fraction more from the previous, to make it the 'biggest and best' Total War yet and to ensure it appeals to more people.

Really galling really that this is the inevitable path of a series that grows in popularity.

The vanilla game will be way too easy, so I'm not touching this until there is a mod of the same quality as Barbarorum or Stainless Steel, which I've put about 200 hours into.

You say that like modders always know what's best.

I like fact Macedonia is main faction for Greeks now

Hmm no Spain faction but I do tend to prefer Total War games when they limit playable factions making them more in depth instead

Yeah, if they make the base factions more in depth, which I doubt.

Don't like the fact they rolled Rome into one faction, sets the alarm bells ringing. Look how much better Stainless Steel is with its 12+ playable factions.

I agree wholeheartedly, screw 8 factions (leaving out major ones) and dumbed down campaigns and battles. I want every tribe and kingdom, major or minor, and more realistic campaigns and battles in my Rome TW.

That being said, is it known for certain if the game going to be moddable? I see Shogun 2 has mod tools, but developers seem to not like that these days and I don't see anything about it on the website for Rome 2. If it is I will be eagerly awaiting Barbarorum 2 (errr, 3, I guess 2 is for Medieval 2).

They have for me when it comes to historical strategy games. I only play the vanilla versions of games like EU3, HoI 2 & 3, Vicky 1 & 2, Pride of Nations, and Rome TW for a few weeks to learn the system and then I either get a mod or wait for one. Developers tend to miss badly when it comes to historical accuracy and in general making a system where all the parts seem to work as you would expect given history (though to be fair, that increases sales). They do make good base games that modders can fix though.

No Numidian faction?

Heh, they're at least a few spots back in the DLC queue.

Yeah but the cream rises to the top.

For example the Dracul AI mod makes for a much better and challenging game in ME2: TW compared to the idiotic vanilla AI in the game, where you can take over the whole map with zero difficulty and little opposition.

Really baffling why CA don't sort out the difficulty. I want to be fighting for my life in the early stages of the game, not rolling over any settlements that take my fancy then turtling behind bridges or in forts.

Really looking forward to playing as Carthage, Ptolemy and Macedonia. And once they put the Greek City States up as DLC, I'll be playing as them too.

No Numidian faction?

The kingdom of Numidia is ancient, many centuries before Rome rose to power. So it isn't historically accurate to put it as a playable faction in the game.

During Ancient Rome period Numidia wasn't a major power, and more scattered and fractured tribes.

Martian

Its probably going to be as moddable as Shogun 2, which is to say: next to impossible.

Some people did however recently made extra provinces on the campaign map, which is apperently a breakthrough

I agree wholeheartedly, screw 8 factions (leaving out major ones) and dumbed down campaigns and battles. I want every tribe and kingdom, major or minor, and more realistic campaigns and battles in my Rome TW.

That being said, is it known for certain if the game going to be moddable? I see Shogun 2 has mod tools, but developers seem to not like that these days and I don't see anything about it on the website for Rome 2. If it is I will be eagerly awaiting Barbarorum 2 (errr, 3, I guess 2 is for Medieval 2).

They have for me when it comes to historical strategy games. I only play the vanilla versions of games like EU3, HoI 2 & 3, Vicky 1 & 2, Pride of Nations, and Rome TW for a few weeks to learn the system and then I either get a mod or wait for one. Developers tend to miss badly when it comes to historical accuracy and in general making a system where all the parts seem to work as you would expect given history (though to be fair, that increases sales). They do make good base games that modders can fix though.

Heh, they're at least a few spots back in the DLC queue.

Absolutely, there's actually so much that CA get wrong with the base game, from gameplay to graphics to historical accuracy. The vanilla games are good but can be amazing if they spent more time listening to the community.

Moaning about the historical accuracy might make me sound like an overly pedantic twonk, but it does take away from the game when they get it so wrong.

I had read through The Crusades book by Thomas Asbridge when I played ME2:TW and the way the Crusades are handled in the game could have been so much better. The small details really matter.

The kingdom of Numidia is ancient, many centuries before Rome rose to power. So it isn't historically accurate to put it as a playable faction in the game.

During Ancient Rome period Numidia wasn't a major power, and more scattered and fractured tribes.

It was around at the beginning of the period for this game and was semi independent but divided. It is historically accurate to be in the game, but given they were mostly client states of Carthage or Rome and weren't unified until after the Second Punic War it would complicate the game a bit much to have them in the vanilla version I think.

Good for DLC or an expansion, especially with a faction system where you would play one part of the Numidians with the goal to first unify as a client state and then expand and hopefully become independent. Also good for a mod.

Its probably going to be as moddable as Shogun 2, which is to say: next to impossible.

Some people did however recently made extra provinces on the campaign map, which is apperently a breakthrough

Drats.

Absolutely, there's actually so much that CA get wrong with the base game, from gameplay to graphics to historical accuracy. The vanilla games are good but can be amazing if they spent more time listening to the community.

Moaning about the historical accuracy might make me sound like an overly pedantic twonk, but it does take away from the game when they get it so wrong.

I had read through The Crusades book by Thomas Asbridge when I played ME2:TW and the way the Crusades are handled in the game could have been so much better. The small details really matter.

That's pretty much how I feel, every time something happens in a historical strategy game that is simply ahistorical I lose a little interest. When playing vanilla Rome TW it got to the point it felt like Risk: Ancient Mediterranean Edition to me.

Veritas_

Rome:TW was my first entry to the series, and very dear to my heart. Very excited to see all this, thanks for the info!

What I'm really interested in is what factions will be DLC/pre-order only. They tied almost 50-damn-per-cent of the factions in Fall of the Samurai to exclusive bonuses and preorders :/

Martian

Small info update:

FAQ from Creative Assembly on the TotalWar forums

-You can put your navies in different modes like the armies, like raiding.
-Routing unit flags not in the battle, may be added later (the unit flag turning to white) The unit flag just goes away and the men run.
-Arrows bounce off armor and shields. Was pretty cool to watch when zoomed in. Some stuck and others bounced off.
-Seasons will show up in battles. How exactly this works is still being developed
-Characters have more movement points than armies. One example I talked with Mike Simpson about is Scipio Africanus where he gave up command of an army in Spain and was in Sicily in a few months training a new army for the African invasion. In game terms he boarded a ship and sailed to Sicily in the one turn/year.
-PC specs are being developed toward the high end and refined for the low end. Example: People with high end machines will see the technology being pushed pretty close to what can be done. But, people with low end machines AND INCLUDING INTEGRATED GRAPHIC CHIPS will be able to run the game with graphic settings that look good. Mike was very specific about this that they worked with Intel and other chip makers to bring the low end, generic machines to be able to run RTW2 with as great as graphics as possible.
-Armies can move over rivers without building boats/bridges
-(I hate to say this as it will cause much vexation) Attrition is out. I got this from Mike Simpson himself.

-Battle maps will look just as good as the stuff you have seen so far. In fact, there is a tile for the area the Teutoburg Forest and if you start a battle in that area, you will get the same map as the historical battle is fought on.
-The map will go farther east than RTW. I joking asked "To Japan?" and got hit with a roast pig.

-Cavalry smashes through enemy formations now.
-Barbarian berserkers are back, and they are human steamrollers
-Infantry units use their shields defensively when under archer attack
-Switching in and out of testudo is very fluid and quick
-Roman soldiers can throw their pilum while running
-NO destructible environments (one of the questions was about starting forest fires during combat; CA was worried it would create too much havoc and detract from the combat)
-The Line of Sight element was expanded upon - if your soldiers cannot see the enemy, neither can you
-Flaming Pigs are coming back!
-Naval warfare will incorporate ramming and boarding actions. The Corvus was hinted at.
-Campaign map goes much farther east, though they would not elaborate how far
-Multiplayer will be getting some TLC from the developers; expect more news on that soon
-Viewing settlements on the Battle Map could be incorporated IF there is high demand for the feature. Some of us made a pretty good case for the feature as a way to devise a defense of a city, without actually being under siege, as well as get the satisfaction of watching the city grow and develop.
-Enemy AI will be more intuitive; i.e., attempting to outflank you during pitched battles, or flooding a wall breach during a siege.
-CA is trying to lure players into pitched battles on open terrain - they feel siege battles should not be the focus of combat.
-Internal conflict and civil war will act as a check to balance gameplay should the player's empire become a rich military juggernaut.
-Navies are able to control sea regions, and must be forcibly dislodged.
-The system for seasonal rotation is still being adjusted to conform to the 1 turn/1 year play style.
-Terrain covered with dead bodies will become bloodstained, but it is very mild. Craig from CA told me that a blood DLC is likely.

Bolded for awesome (and one not so awesome thing
Attrition is removed
)

Yo know what I like from those screens of the factions? The amazing new cities and villages. Those where one of things i most hated in the original, that all looked exactly the same and where not realistic.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Bolded for awesome (and one not so awesome thing
Attrition is removed
)

That was actually a misunderstanding. Attrition will be in Rome II.

I would link to Jack Lusted's post as confirmation, but the damned TWC forum is acting up again.

Top Bottom