• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All The Last of Us 2 leaks/spoilers in here and nowhere else.

PanzerAzel

After Issac gets shot by Yara and Abby and Lev make their escape, Lev says to Abby, “They’re your people!”, to which Abby replies, “YOU’RE my people!”

What exactly is this supposed to mean?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
After Issac gets shot by Yara and Abby and Lev make their escape, Lev says to Abby, “They’re your people!”, to which Abby replies, “YOU’RE my people!”

What exactly is this supposed to mean?

It really isn't anything above what she says. It isn't suggesting she is trans, she just has moved away from Isaac's group and considers Lev as her family now.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Abby is a pure psychopath. This biggest issue is she has no remorse for her actions. It's a game that ask you to feel playing a character who does not.

docbot

Banned
wow just finished that motherfucker. Never played anything like it and pretty sure there won't be anything of this calibre on consoles for a very very very (excruiating) long time. This is one for the books. Glad that Sony let them do it. Pretty sure you will never see something like this from EA or other major publishers. People who hate on this game are just dumbwits

Umbral

Real person
the-last-of-us-2-body-double-colleen-fotsch.jpg
Real person indeed.

On steroids and or testosterone, in a first world country with a food surplus, the ability to make a career out of her bodybuilding, a team of trainers, minimal stresses so that she can recover properly, and a nutritionist on hand.

They went just a little too far with her body. They could still have a buff girl as Abby, but they didn’t consider the reality of the setting when they did it or they just said “fuck it, it’s what we want.” I just started the Abby half and she looks distractingly big. She’s bigger than all the men, which makes no sense. She’s basically Joel, mechanics and all, inside of a modern roided up crossfitter’s body.

Umbral

Because game maybe and not real life.
Fuck, I hate this argument.

Being a game doesn’t free it from rules regarding it’s setting and what happens in it. This is obviously taking place in the real world, ergo, real world rules apply. Ellie can’t teleport because that would be fucking stupid. Maybe Abby can turn into a shark to swim, I mean, it’s just a game, right?

Fuck me.

Fuck, I hate this argument.

Being a game doesn’t free it from rules regarding it’s setting and what happens in it. This is obviously taking place in the real world, ergo, real world rules apply. Ellie can’t teleport because that would be fucking stupid. Maybe Abby can turn into a shark to swim, I mean, it’s just a game, right?

Fuck me.

The game with spore zombies obviously takes place in the real world? What?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

And the developers stated, numerous times, that they are trying to make the story and characters as realistic as possible. That is why you can suspend your disbelief in something like Uncharted when it is designed to be an over the top action game. Not so for TLOU or TLOUPII.

A real person could look like Abby does in real life, but that involves an entire lifestyle based around high protein diets, full days of strict workouts, and steroid use. Something that has been shown in the world they crafted to be an impossibility. The entirety of TLOUPII feels, to me and many others, full of holes in their world crafting that do not match up or make sense given the rules they provided.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

This fungus has actual basis in reality, it is easily plausible in a fictional universe to take some creative liberty and extend it to humans becoming affected.

Just got to the the first encounter with Abby and Ellie. Who thought this was a good idea? This strikes me as nothing but the worst of contrarianism and subversion.....I don't want to be fighting Ellie as someone who I don't give a shit about and actively dislike. It's bad enough to have to play as Abby for all this time, but this keeps getting worse and worse. I really hope after this encounter I get to switch back to Ellie.

On the bright side, at least I'm able to watch Abby take buckshot to the stomach and face repeatedly from Ellie, so all's not lost I suppose.

I thinks it's about execution.

Does a game need to be fun? Well kind of, I guess.

Does a movie need to be entertaining? Well kind of, I guess.

I'd compare TLOU2 to a Movie like 'Martyrs' - 2008.

Is Martyrs entertaining? No, at least not in a conventional sense. It is a brutal, disturbing revenge story that is genuinely horrifying to watch and will make you feel sick to your stomach.

But it is executed perfectly. It is an outstanding movie. That is where you find the 'entertainment'.

Does TLOU" execute well? It seems like it hasn't? But that is up to each individual to decide for themselves.

NOTE: SJW themes do not help. They make people automatically suspicious of the content that is being produced and make it difficult to give the creator 'the benefit of the doubt' that what they are producing is in good faith.
Entertaining can mean many things to people. Watching a documentary about the Vietnam War is entertaining to me even thought heavy subject matter like systematic kills and brutal civil war are shown. Besides it being real history it is told through the medium in the best possible way too.

Cleared_Hot

Real person indeed.

On steroids and or testosterone, in a first world country with a food surplus, the ability to make a career out of her bodybuilding, a team of trainers, minimal stresses so that she can recover properly, and a nutritionist on hand.

They went just a little too far with her body. They could still have a buff girl as Abby, but they didn’t consider the reality of the setting when they did it or they just said “fuck it, it’s what we want.” I just started the Abby half and she looks distractingly big. She’s bigger than all the men, which makes no sense. She’s basically Joel, mechanics and all, inside of a modern roided up crossfitter’s body.
Yeah like if they had a dude in the game that looked liked Arnold Schwarzenegger in his T2 days all these so called transphobe men on the internet would be saying the same shit. It just doesn't make any fucking sense. She looks like she got the fucking Captain America serum.

Remember, in the first title people had such a hard time, some resorted to cannibalism. But this ol Abby girl, several years later, is training 24/7 and, crushing tripple scoops of pre workout, eating like a bear, scarfing down protein shakes, and still has the time to fend off infected and hunt people down.

Last edited:

tfur

The game is beautiful and I enjoyed most of the game play. Top notch art direction and environments.

I cannot imagine being someone who worked on the worlds and atmosphere, to then have it wasted on the story and narrative.

It feels like these stories were written by people who do not have children, and never had decent parents.

It just lacks the character that the first game had. Joel saved Ellie in the first game. She was a child, being exploited and killed for a possible cure, by some guerrilla military group, in a crack hotel looking hospital. We are supposed to believe Ellie wanted to give her life, as a child, for some maybe cure... it's always a maybe cure.... And now she is just morally upset that Joel saved her life. Nope. Not real. Not believable. Not consistent with people who have children or parents, which Joel and Ellie became.

Now we are supposed to care about the murder Doctor's daughter. Fuck him for deciding to kill Ellie for some cure. Sounds legit. Abby should have been upset with her father for going down that road.

There was nothing redeeming about the character Abby. I did not buy teenage Abby, with larger arms than her father. My daughter was like like: "Why did they make her look like that?" I did not buy her desire for revenge. I did not care about her at all. Maybe it was part of their plan, but my daughter hated everything about the Abby character.

I kept saying to myself, and those watching while I played: "well I guess they are forcing us to do this. Oh, now they are forcing us to do that also. " At the same time, the people watching were saying: "where is Ellie?"

I did not care about any of the Wolf people. Their stories, and names, were forgettable. Yeah, the pregnant lady went on patrol and rope climbed etc. Totes reasonable story line. Who's baby, who is this dude, why am I in a soap opera, is he now banging Abby? Is Abby a dude? why am I doing any of this?

When Abby and Ellie crossed paths to fight, I stopped input to let Ellie kill "me" as Abby. I was like, oh well, I guess they want me to fight Ellie now. How quaint. It could of been interesting if what you ranked Abby as, you then switched to Ellie to fight your ranking attributes. Swapping back and forth could of been a cool dynamic, if I cared about Abby. Instead, I wanted to go face plant into a trap mine with Abby.

Hey Asian girl (whatever he name was), lets go "shopping" for Asian boygirl Zev. Aww, cute, we will get her a plushy.... what the fuck. Lets roll with your freshly cut off arm. No prob. Wait, why are we going here, why are they attacking, why are they burning, why am i here. Where the fuck is Ellie. Why am I forced to play as a character that I do not care about, and that does not matter.

The whole Abby thing could of been a "Left Behind" bit, or a "Lost Legacy" thing. 80% of Abby stuff was not needed, and was terribly integrated.

They should of stuck with the Ellie and Joel parts... plus Tommy. They should not have changed their personalities for Part 2.

They had all they needed. They had incredible relationships from the Part 1. They wasted much of technology and art assets on an extremely hamfisted story, and does not really fit with the history that already existed.

It was a good game, but I was sad to see such a gem wasted.

At the end, I genuinely felt sad for the story canon and fans.

Druckman et al. failed to reign this one in. Maybe he needed Straley or whoever was part of the team from Part 1.

They sold out Joel.
They sold out much of Ellie.

No one cares about the LGBQT or feminist stuff, even if it was cringy at times. That is not why the story was so weak. It was incoherent, with our without those parts.

Art design = 10
Technology = 10
Gameplay = 9.5 (I wanted more advanced zombie movement and abilities)
Story = 5

Depressed to have to say all these things.

Doing a second play through now.

wOPCPIUl.jpg

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

Entertaining can mean many things to people. Watching a documentary about the Vietnam War is entertaining to me even thought heavy subject matter like systematic kills and brutal civil war are shown. Besides it being real history it is told through the medium in the best possible way too.
Yeah the word entertain doesn't have to mean IRON MAN. If a movie is not entertaining, wether it's Schindler's List or Jurassic Park then you will yawn and turn it off. The second definition according to Webster is this: give attention or consideration to (an idea, suggestion, or feeling

I've explained this to you before...

The entire draw of the "zombie" trope is that it happens in a real world environment that otherwise obeys the normal rules of nature... This is why it works so well in instilling the fear that this could happen, and then what would you do? It helps immensely to sell the idea when it happens in a plausible manner or the theory behind it seems like it actually could happen.

Also, their are in fact "spore" zombies...

"A zombie ant fungus "knows" its host, and only releases brain-controlling chemicals when it finds itself attached to its preferred ant species, according to a new study.

Parasitic fungi from the genus Ophiocordyceps - also known as the "zombie ant fungus" - control their ant hosts by inducing a biting behavior. Although these fungi can infect many different types of insects, they prefer a certain kind of ant in particular, and wait to attack until they find such a desirable host.

The fungus has evolved a mechanism that induces hosts to die, attached by their mandibles, to plant material. This provides a platform from which the fungus can grow and shoot spores to infect other ants."

zombie_ant_de_-Bekker1-e1388085828441.jpg
23SCI-MATTER3-articleLarge.jpg
zombie-ant.jpg
7plp44rl5v521.png

Also, some fungus do explode or "shoot gas out of themselves" as a release mechanism.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

iorek21

Played my first hours today, it's a nice game. Great graphics, great animations, voice acting and all of that.

Gameplay is the same of the first game, which wasn't bad, but nothing to really write home about. The Last of Us was always about the story and its characters, but it seems that the first 5h decides to rely on shock value, representation stuff and "tension" moments. Around this playtime in TLOU1, a lot of great characters were already introduced and developed nicely, a thing which doesn't seem to happen in Part 2; I don't really care about Dina or Jesse, and Ellie without Joel is like Jak without Daxter, or Ratchet without Clank, something feels lacking. Surprisingly, the only character that I want to see and understand is Abby, because the rest feels very lackluster for now.

The mini open world in Seattle is awesome and reminded me a lot of God of War, makes me wish the whole game was made around this kind of level design.

Anyway, these are my first impressions, will comment more later

PanzerAzel

It just lacks the character that the first game had. Joel saved Ellie in the first game. She was a child, being exploited and killed for a possible cure, by some guerrilla military group, in a crack hotel looking hospital. We are supposed to believe Ellie wanted to give her life, as a child, for some maybe cure... it's always a maybe cure.... And now she is just morally upset that Joel saved her life. Nope. Not real. Not believable. Not consistent with people who have children or parents, which Joel and Ellie became.
I didn't buy Ellie's reaction to Joel telling her the truth, even if she had wanted to die.

There are some things that are so heavy that anger isn't the proper response. I didn't buy it, for her to get mad cheapened the weight of the ramifications of Joel's choice. She should've acted initially very shocked, sobbed (as she did), and then they should've cut the scene right there and left the rest of the fallout to the audience's imagination. Then have her require time alone to process and begin grieving the loss. I would've bought her becoming extremely morose, sad, feeling alone, and being very distant from and wary of Joel, but what I couldn't buy was her being a snappy little bitch to him from then on (like at the dance when Joel defended her and Dina) as if someone simply cut in front of her at the store instead of robbed her of the opportunity to be the one to save humanity. It came off as extremely one-dimensional.

Last edited:

Umbral

I didn't buy Ellie's reaction to Joel telling her the truth, even if she had wanted to die.

There are some things that are so heavy that anger isn't the proper response. I didn't buy it, for her to get mad cheapened the weight of the ramifications of Joel's choice. She should've acted initially very shocked, sobbed (as she did), and then they should've cut the scene right there and left the rest of the fallout to the audience's imagination. Then have her require time alone to process and begin grieving the loss. I would've bought her becoming extremely morose, sad, feeling alone, and being very distant from and wary of Joel, but what I couldn't buy was her being a snappy little bitch to him from then on (like at the dance when Joel defended her and Dina) as if someone simply cut in front of her at the store instead of robbed her of the opportunity to be the one to save humanity. It came off as extremely one-dimensional.
Well said.

I came away from that scene wondering why she was mad she couldn’t die. Please, kill me. I wanted to die and you wouldn’t let me. Now I”m mad.

What?

There’s been a few of those kind of moments. Poor writing. Plenty of contrivances as well. Those are my main complaints so far.

PanzerAzel

Well said.

I came away from that scene wondering why she was mad she couldn’t die. Please, kill me. I wanted to die and you wouldn’t let me. Now I”m mad.

What?

There’s been a few of those kind of moments. Poor writing. Plenty of contrivances as well. Those are my main complaints so far.
Yeah it was very poorly done and a huge missed opportunity for one of gaming's greatest narrative potentials. Such a revelation should hit someone to the core, should gut their very soul. That transcends anger to a sort of resignation and extreme nihilism. Ellie's reaction didn't feel from deep down within, it felt superficial. "You asshole! I wanted to die!" It didn't even come close to encompassing the gravitas of the choice Joel made.

Frankly I'm amazed they didn't leverage the lie better, it should've been central to the plot.

Neolombax

Yeah anyone going on about "disrespecting the fanbase" and talking about how beloved Joel is just an irrelevant non opinion to me.

Joel is so much more interesting and complex than an "icon". How people feel about him doesn't change the story. They actually respected him quite a bit in this game, I mean the game literally ends with us learning that Ellie wanted to forgive him, which fucking broke me. Just like the space-shuttle scene also broke me.

His scenes with Ellie are some of the best in the game.

Agree. That scene in the spaceship, when Joel asks Ellie "I do okay?". I instantly cried, and knowing what will happen to him broke my heart.

I still wont play this game because I dont like where the story eventually headed, thats a personal choice. But those flashback scenes were amazingly done.

PanzerAzel

Having played this and approaching the end soon I suspect (just got to San Diego, playing as Ellie again, thank God), something's been nagging at me.

I remember Druckmann giving a speech a while back about the over-sexualization of characters in gaming, and that Ellie was borne from a desire to work against this and portray a more "realistic" female. But having played TLoU II, this ideal isn't what I'm seeing at all. I'm seeing it taken not a step further, but a leap......a move not just against over-sexualization of women, but directly against their very sexuality. There feels to me to be almost a tangible rejection in the acknowledgement of the female form in this game. I've been paying very close attention to all the models, and I've seen only three that had feminine traits: Nora, Dina, and Mel (and only then largely because she was with child). Ellie a bit, but just barely, and her San Diego model has her broad shouldered with tiny mosquito bite tits that appear like a child's. From what I'm seeing, there's an implicit (and very strong) message underlying things in TLoU II: that femininity and womanhood are to be held to shame, repudiated, and marginalized.

I understand that Neil wants to be inclusive towards the transgender community, which I think is admirable, but what I don't understand is why he also can't include the majority of women in this to be represented in accordance with the general norm of feminine traits.....as it would be in reality. That would in no way preclude him from designing Abby or including Lev. The trans community makes up an incredibly small percentage of the population, and even then, most women who transition still tend to have wider hips, smaller shoulders, and generally speaking, much smaller frames then men do. Yet nearly every model that I see is a male NPC with a woman's head. Or the hulking Sepharite women with axes, which gave me a good laugh.

What's the thinking here? Is Druckmann ashamed of femininity? Is he intimidated by it? Does he not value it? Does he believe its presence poses a threat? An imposition? Does he believe if the majority of female NPC models don't appear physically analogous to males that that somehow speaks on equality? Men and women aren't equal, they have never been equal, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's to be valued, embraced and treasured, not rejected or fought against. I just don't get it.

How can someone think like this, so much to the extent that it is so far out left field of what reality is like? Aside the shit writing, the game feels insanely artificial because I'm seemingly walking around an apocalyptic world where all the women have begun transforming not only into fungal zombies.......but also into men.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Well, for me, I always thought that in the ending of first game she always knew the truth but allowed Joel his love because she understands what he lost and now regained and she did not wanted him to suffer again. That "ok" is a an "ok" of trust and confidence in him.
And You can see how happy it makes him in the first game when he saved her.
Edit: I still have a hard time getting over how nd tricked everyone with marketing about what the game will be about. It looks like Joel and Abby adventures. He is in scenes later in the game trailers that implies he will be with us on the adventure... only to be a trick. It's not even mgs2 level of trickery

Last edited:

Umbral

Having played this and approaching the end soon I suspect (just got to San Diego, playing as Ellie again, thank God), something's been nagging at me.

I remember Druckmann giving a speech a while back about the over-sexualization of characters in gaming, and that Ellie was borne from a desire to work against this and portray a more "realistic" female. But having played TLoU II, this ideal isn't what I'm seeing at all. I'm seeing it taken not a step further, but a leap......a move not just against over-sexualization of women, but directly against their very sexuality. There feels to me to be almost a tangible rejection in the acknowledgement of the female form in this game. I've been paying very close attention to all the models, and I've seen only three that had feminine traits: Nora, Dina, and Mel (and only then largely because she was with child). Ellie a bit, but just barely, and her San Diego model has her broad shouldered with tiny mosquito bite tits that appear like a child's. From what I'm seeing, there's an implicit (and very strong) message underlying things in TLoU II: that femininity and womanhood are to be held to shame, repudiated, and marginalized.

I understand that Neil wants to be inclusive towards the transgender community, which I think is admirable, but what I don't understand is why he also can't include the majority of women in this to be represented in accordance with the general norm of feminine traits.....as it would be in reality. That would in no way preclude him from designing Abby or including Lev. The trans community makes up an incredibly small percentage of the population, and even then, most women who transition still tend to have wider hips, smaller shoulders, and generally speaking, much smaller frames then men do. Yet nearly every model that I see is a male NPC with a woman's head. Or the hulking Sepharite women with axes, which gave me a good laugh.

What's the thinking here? Is Druckmann ashamed of femininity? Is he intimidated by it? Does he not value it? Does he believe its presence poses a threat? An imposition? Does he believe if the majority of female NPC models don't appear physically analogous to males that that somehow speaks on equality? Men and women aren't equal, they have never been equal, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's to be valued, embraced and treasured, not rejected or fought against. I just don't get it.

How can someone think like this, so much to the extent that it is so far out left field of what reality is like? Aside the shit writing, the game feels insanely artificial because I'm seemingly walking around an apocalyptic world where all the women have begun transforming not only into fungal zombies.......but also into men.
The Big Bertha woman with the sledge cracked me up too. It was so ridiculous. Men that size are rare, women even more so.

A lot of it is how much they put into the realism of the game. The amount of work to capture the level of detail here is crazy. The result though is that anything that departs from realism stands out even more, like a big red sign pointing to it.

I’m at the part where you play as Abby after the sex scene with Owen. I wonder how much more I have left? The game feels like it’s starting to drag now.

Edit: Ahahaha, it was Miss Trunchbull that I was thinking of when I saw the sledge woman.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My wife could not get over how wide Abby is and how she runs :p
And she only took 3 years to get this swole.
And what is wrong with her face. She has angry face even with her friends.
Anyway - the game is too long imo

"Guys, there's zombie ants, so zombie humans like bloaters and clickers is not a stretch, that said real women having Abby's physique does not justify Abby's physique" - this is some wild logic

PanzerAzel

The Big Bertha woman with the sledge cracked me up too. It was so ridiculous. Men that size are rare, women even more so.

A lot of it is how much they put into the realism of the game. The amount of work to capture the level of detail here is crazy. The result though is that anything that departs from realism stands out even more, like a big red sign pointing to it.

I’m at the part where you play as Abby after the sex scene with Owen. I wonder how much more I have left? The game feels like it’s starting to drag now.

Edit: Ahahaha, it was Miss Trunchbull that I was thinking of when I saw the sledge woman.
Trunchbull LOL!! :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy: That is so spot on I wonder if it actually was the inspiration. Nice one.

Just finished it.

Neil is a fucking hack.

There is no way this is the same person that penned the first game, I now have to lay most if not nearly all of the credit at Straley's feet. Or at least for reeling Neil's worst inclinations in, because this is the result of someone given full control and who doesn't know when to stop. Some people are great visionaries......when they've been moderated and have others around them giving feedback. Neil's just like Lucas, when he was surrounded by yes men it all went to shit. And man it did narratively. This was great for the first half, but the second half was a fucking train wreck.

Also predictable that the very closing shot had a butterfly (symbol of change, and often utilized by the LGBT community) on the guitar's neck.

I'm almost done with the game I think. I'm back to controlling Ellie after having to suffer through Abby's chapter.

I have mixed feelings towards this game. On one hand I'm really liking the gameplay and exploration. The graphics is one of the best I've seen.

On the other hand the story is meh. Couldn't count the number of face palms I did while trying to understand the story, I'm not even at the end. The main characters are also just unlikable especially Abby. Her roided build makes it worse.

Okay, so I made the joke that I would stop playing after getting Abby killed in the theater by Ellie, but now I'm really wishing I did. That lesbian family scene was HORRIBLE. Sure is convenient that the father was killed. Man, fuck Dina. What an awful character.

And now I'm back playing as Abby again and I'm struggling to continue.
Jesus christ, this game is such a mess but... I only have myself to blame at this point. I knew this would happen and I still bought it. At least it only cost me $20 thanks to Sony Rewards points...

First game was better, but I enjoyed my trip through part 2. I half expected Ellie to blow her own head off when she returned to the empty farmhouse, and I think that would've been a better, albeit much darker ending.

The Shepard

Just completed the game, not sure how I feel atm..

Parts we're excellent but it dragged on. Killing off Joel in the 2nd installment I'll never understand as he's and ellies relationship is what made the first one special. They should have at least made this the third game and give us a proper sequel with Joel and Ellie as playable characters. The game we got felt like revenge porn with an anti climactic ending.

Also, Abby looks like a Bulgarian Bench presser. How she gets that stocky off having a burrito diet I'm curious to know.

I didn't feel a thing for Abby. I felt complete apathy for her.

She kills Joel in cold blood. Leaves the other two witnesses in the room alive because "we're not monsters like them" then wonders why all her friends get taken down in the name of revenge. You should have maybe finished the job and your friends might still be alive. She has no remorse about anything she did but we're supposed to like her because she plays saviour to a few kids. She threatens to kill Dina in cold blood even after being told she is pregnant (at least Ellie had a moment of guilt after killing the pregnant lady on Abby's end after she finds out, but the fridge feels nothing -- but hey, I thought you weren't a monster like them?)...oh and has the gall to say to Ellie "you wasted it" when she first encounters Ellie. Gee Einstein, did you miss part where Ellie was saying "I'm gonna kill you" as you murdered her father figure. Didn't think that one through, did you genius? (actual reaction as I was playing)

I just don't get it. Outside of playing saviour to Lev, I found nothing about her to be empathetic. I really didn't. It was actually the most boring apathetic 8 hours I've ever played of a game and really made me want to turn the damn thing off and give up.

But then again, most of the characters outside of maybe Jesse are completely unlikable to me. Look what they did with Tommy. He initially tries to talk Ellie out of revenge. Then goes on the quest alone leaving Ellie behind. Gets shot in the eye. Then lays the fucking guilt trip on Ellie about finishing the job. I'm sorry but weren't you the one trying to talk her out of it at the beginning of the game? God that was awful. That was awful bipolar writing that made no sense.

I struggled to care for anyone in this game. And that is certainly not the effect the first game had on me. At least I cared about Joel, Ellie and the many people they came across along their journey.

Everything about this borders on parody. It's like they completely misunderstood on what the audience actually liked about the first game and focused on upping the brutality and savageness of it all never realising that it was ultimately the characters that drove us in the first game.

I just think this game is a fundamental failure of understanding what it was the audience responded to first time around. The few good scenes in this game were those between Joel and Ellie. Those were the moments where I felt saw shreds of what I liked about the first game,.

Everything else was experimentation...and mostly failed experimentation at that.

Look at the reaction some female streamers had towards Abby upon killing Joel. If they really thought they had something that was going to make women feel empowered then I suggest they go look at female streamers reactions where a good chunk of them actively call Abby a bitch and wish for her blood as she kills Joel.

I just think they have a complete misunderstanding of what most fans of the original liked about it hence why this sequel feels like borderline parody of itself.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Abby is a pure psychopath. This biggest issue is she has no remorse for her actions. It's a game that ask you to feel playing a character who does not.
I think she does feel remorse, it just isn't told outright.

The reason why she returns to help the scar kids is because of the guilt she feels from killing Joel, who also helped her escape death in a similar way.

She's driven mad by the need for revenge (firstly for her dad, and secondly for Owen), same way as Ellie.

If she were a true psychopath, she would've killed Ellie and Tommy the first time. And then would've killed Ellie, Dina and Tommy in the theatre.

Saber

Gold Member
"Guys, there's zombie ants, so zombie humans like bloaters and clickers is not a stretch, that said real women having Abby's physique does not justify Abby's physique" - this is some wild logic

Seriously dude, just give up. Your obssession in defending every aspect of the game in every thread possible is becoming not only embarassing but depressing at this point.

Another thing. This game literally repeats the same ending twice.

The whole thing is about perspectives, right. We see Abby give up on her revenge and then we see Ellie give up on hers as if to say "they're one in the same."

You know what? We didn't need that ending to get to the point. You could have easily ended it on the farm. Have Ellie question what Abby meant by "you wasted it" then have the flash back with Joel about forgiveness and all that goodness letting her come to the realisation that it's better to let go of the hate then hold on. Bang, your ending is staring you right in the face and is maybe, maybe slightly poetic.

But no, this game has you go slaughter a whole bunch of NPC's, find Abby, come close to killing her then have her repeat the same thing as Abby hammering home the bloody obvious point when we already got it without need for repetition because this game is shallow as hell and only has one theme on its mind. And after 17 or 18 hours it's bloody obvious when it's just bludgeoning you over the head again and again.

God, this games narrative is a complete mess. With any real thought, it just breaks apart and you realise just how cartoony these characters have become in contrast to the first game.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I think ND knew full well they could never recreate the magic of TLOU1 by telling the same story. It would feel too samey.

What they wanted to do was make a completely different story that would leave us with a similarily impactful ending as the first. I can't stop thinking about this game in the same way as the first.

It's that hopeful meloncoly that the first game had. Joel doomed the world, but at least he saved Ellie. Vs. Ellie lost everything, but at least she didn't lose her humanity.

I can't wait to see where part 3 goes. I hope it once again goes for a completely different kind of story which is just as emotionally taxing.

I think ND knew full well they could never recreate the magic of TLOU1 by telling the same story. It would feel too samey.

What they wanted to do was make a completely different story that would leave us with a similarily impactful ending as the first. I can't stop thinking about this game in the same way as the first.

It's that hopeful meloncoly that the first game had. Joel doomed the world, but at least he saved Ellie. Vs. Ellie lost everything, but at least she didn't lose her humanity.

I can't wait to see where part 3 goes. I hope it once again goes for a completely different kind of story which is just as emotionally taxing.

Right, and all those NPC's she slaughtered were for nothing right? Not to dig at you, but I think this is a key fundamental problem with the game and why this narrative doesn't work in this form of 3rd person action game. You kill so many people in cold blood in this game. You are basically a mass murderer. But because you didn't kill the one girl, you suddenly keep your humanity? I think your humanity is gone the moment you strangle someone to death in cold blood.

This is the key fundamental problem between the narrative and the gameplay loop that this game has and why, in my opinion, it's a failure.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Another thing. This game literally repeats the same ending twice.

The whole thing is about perspectives, right. We see Abby give up on her revenge and then we see Ellie give up on hers as if to say "they're one in the same."

You know what? We didn't need that ending to get to the point. You could have easily ended it on the farm. Have Ellie question what Abby meant by "you wasted it" then have the flash back with Joel about forgiveness and all that goodness letting her come to the realisation that it's better to let go of the hate then hold on. Bang, your ending is staring you right in the face and is maybe, maybe slightly poetic.

But no, this game has you go slaughter a whole bunch of NPC's, find Abby, come close to killing her then have her repeat the same thing as Abby hammering home the bloody obvious point when we already got it without need for repetition because this game is shallow as hell and only has one theme on its mind. And after 17 or 18 hours it's bloody obvious when it's just bludgeoning you over the head again and again.

God, this games narrative is a complete mess. With any real thought, it just breaks apart and you realise just how cartoony these characters have become in contrast to the first game.
I thought it worked fantastically in the way it mirrored the first Abby vs Ellie fight in the theatre.

In that theatre fight, I didn't want to kill Ellie.
And in the ending, I didn't want to kill Abby.

Ellie only got her closure in the end because she got to end it on her terms.

Top Bottom