• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Almost every children's video on Youtube has a shit ton of dislikes (ABCs, songs etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have a 2 year old, and sometimes we let him watch some cartoons, or learn a bit with ABCs, Sesame Street, etc. I've noticed something in the last year plus, almost every video, and I mean almost every video has a shit ton of dislikes. It's something that's never particularly *bothered* me, but always perplexed me. Am I missing something here lol!? Help me understand this mystery GAF.

Just a few quick random examples I pulled. Look at any video of songs for kids, ABCs, Sesame Street, cartoons, Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, anything lol.

lowPlDg.png

KP2ENtB.png

pzd0zMw.png

sVR1dVU.png

7D7tHLc.png

Zn7NLpw.png

xSBANaU.png

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Kids whose parents make them watch educational videos instead of PewDiePie or whatever

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I honestly have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 4Chan thing at some point.

Maybe kids are just assholes at a younger age? :p

sgjackson

this is weird enough that i googled it and there's a reddit thread about it from six months ago

apparently this comes up a decent amount and the best theory is that parents stick tablets in front of their younger children and they just mash at the screen - a lot of the comments on these videos are total gibberish for similar reasons. they also pointed out that children's videos that came out early in youtube's life and thus wouldn't have been viewed as much on tablets have less of this effect.

nothing concrete but it sounds sensible to me.

ItIsOkBro

I remember something about how you can end up on these videos when you're searching or something else?...or was that a different thing.

Pizoxuat

Just kids being kids. My kid figured out how to leave comments when she was 6 and started downvoting and adding comments pointing out errors in educational videos. She still watches them, she's just annoyed when they get things factually wrong.

SYNTAX182

this is weird enough that i googled it and there's a reddit thread about it from six months ago

apparently this comes up a decent amount and the best theory is that parents stick tablets in front of their younger children and they just mash at the screen - a lot of the comments on these videos are total gibberish for similar reasons. they also pointed out that children's videos that came out early in youtube's life and thus wouldn't have been viewed as much on tablets have less of this effect.

nothing concrete but it sounds sensible to me.

Yep, I think this makes most sense. Just you kids swiping everywhere on the screen and accidentally hitting the dislike button.

Just kids being kids. My kid figured out how to leave comments when she was 6 and started downvoting and adding comments pointing out errors in educational videos. She still watches them, she's just annoyed when they get things factually wrong.
But a lot of these videos are more for something like 2-3 year olds (nursery rhymes, ABCs, etc). I guess the theory that it's just young toddlers randomly swiping at the screen could make sense!

Never underestimate the religious downvote. My born again Christian aunt can find the devil in anything. Still to this day, I am dumb founded by the things she finds "satanic" or anti christian in popular movies, tv, music, etc.

The child button mashing makes a lot of sense too.

TedHub

Banned
It's the middle school mentality. Like all the songs about murdering Barney that everyone on the playground would sing.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
If not kids hitting touchscreens, maybe it's just the parents sick of listening to this bullshit over and over again and wanting to do the smallest thing about it.

adj_noun

Holy crap I need to start writing kid songs.

Um

THERE ONCE WAS A GRAPE FROM KALAMAZOO

IT SAID HELLO AND HOW DO YA DO

THEN IT GOT CRUSHED AND ITS BLOOD DID RUN

AND THAT'S WHERE MOM'S WINE COOOOOMES FROOOOOOM

AndyD

aka andydumi

My two year olds love that video. They have probably accounted for hundreds of those views because they keep clicking on it to watch the same 2-3 minute segments only.

And a billion views from kids across the world over the past few years does not seem that much.

That said, there's apparently some algorithm gaming too, as apparently all things being equal videos with few recent negatives get ranked higher, so a small campaign of negatives against your competitors can boost your own videos' ranking. I read something about it, but I don't really get how it works or whatnot.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Everyone has different taste. I could walk up to someone and say, "Have a nice day" and they'd probably flip me the bird or something. Everyone is going to think what you like is absolutely garbage.

One man's trash is another man's treasure is true. One person loves one thing and the other thinks it's royal trash. It's a part of life that's well known. You just have to make sure you know how to deal with it or simply ignore it.

I can bet there's people arguing about Disney films too. I don't necessarily watch any of them anymore. I did it for the sheer amazement of their design, the architecture from the artist at that period in time, but they aren't something I spend my time and money on.

Some people think it all sucks and they want modern stuff with the works attached to it. I don't bother believing that way because I like a lot of things and that whole bipolar curve sorta sucks the life out of things if you ask me.

Have you ever heard, "80's music sucks?". I find that comment to be irritating. I can relax with 80's music, but I don't listen to it all the time. I don't say comments like that either. I could argue things left and right.

Comment sections on gaming sites are just as bad. You have a diverse habitat and you can get lost in loving or hating it.

StoneFox

You hit the dislike button if you don't want your recommended videos to be full of children's songs.
This is the most likely reason to me, at least for older viewers. The dislike button is useful for getting rid of stuff you don't want to see just because you happened to view a video vaguely similar. :p

thebeeks

Banned
I always assumed it was probaby older kids/siblings hating on "baby stuff".

It's no different than the kids at school that would make fun of the younger grades for liking Barney and that sort of thing.

Viper3

I noticed that too. Every time my son finds a cartoon that he likes on youtube the percentage of dislikes is at least 30% or so.

At first I though that people might not be happy with the quality of the vids or something (a lot of kids stuff on youtube is copyright infringement and the quality is pretty terrible) but it seems like even the best kids shows have a ton of dislikes.

It's just weird.

Tabris

Most likely what's happening is those videos are showing up on trending or top hit sections for viewers and they are disliking the fact youtube is recommending them it.

♪JOHNNY JOHNNY♪
♪YES PAPA♪
♪EATING SUGAR♪
♪NO PAPA♪
♪TELLING LIES♪
♪NO PAPA♪
♪OPEN YOUR MOUTH♪
♪HA HA HA♪

Children's songs are a goldmine.

Some dude in the bus video said he made a comment a month ago and after that he was getting gibberish replies from accounts that had 30-40 year old looking woman profile pictures. Gotta be the little rugrats.

Reminds me of a friend of mine who works in radio as a sound engineer techie whatever. Right out of college, he worked at an AM station that was all hard nosed business reports early in the morning... farm stock reports, etc. Then one week, they changed formats overnight to Disney Radio. At 6 in the morning, he was getting flooded with calls from angry listeners tuning in expecting the Stocker Feeder Cattle Market Reports and instead hearing a Disney show called Wakey Wakey, Eggs and Bakey playing Hannah Montana and Disney movie songs.

According to him every call was the same. They'd say "you've just lost a listener, buddy!" And he'd have to reply: "Yeah, NO SHIT. We didn't expect to keep you."

Chariot

Incidentally MLP videos of songs and intros are rated very well. Even if you're arguing that the adult Brony fanbase is of course pulling it into the positive area, this has only 8k dislikes on 32,000,000 views with 72,5k likes. Compared to the 20k dislikes of the 48,500,000 view Mickey and Pluto thing.

But I also have no idea where the hate for those kids stuff in the OP is coming from.
Those don't seem that high compared to the number of views.

Adelle's "Hello" for instance has a similar view/dislike ratio to wheels on the bus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQHsXMglC9A

And she's pretty well liked.
You may wanna look again.

Wheels on Bus= 700,000 vs 500,000
Hello= 6,300,000 vs 207,000

Not even close to being similiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom