• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see a small bump. I started another playthrough for the first time in a couple years. I adore this game. Put it on hard, plan on cheesing my way past and killing everyone I see.

The game holds up remarkably well. Still my GOTY when it came out, no doubt. So goddamn good. This game has it all.

Bought this game for 360 a few weeks ago. Buggy as hell and it has inconsistent combat... but it's still so good. I completed it with a smile on my face. It's too bad the game didn't finish with
Turn Up The Radio

Jhoan

I just started doing my second run as Psychopath douche bag Mike. It's been very funny (especially since I customized him so that he looks like Dudebro);
I offed Sis; felt really bad about it afterwards, but everyone that needs to die in this run, is gonna die.
I just realized that the
Yacht level reminded me a lot of Max Payne 3's Panama level
It's been funny seeing how people react to him telling him to calm down. Chain Shot+Technical Aptitude+Stealth or Toughness (Iron Will) breaks the game.

As for the last boss battle, on my first run, since I had a ton of points invested into Toughness and Martial Arts, I
got close to Westridge, activated Iron Will, rushed into the room that he's in, and beat his ass silly; it's another game breaking way to take him out since fisticuffs are overpowered in this game too.
On my next run, I'm gonna sleep with everyone and go for the Thornton Inc. achievement.

Clydefrog

I’ve had this game on Steam for way over a year now. I remember trying it a while ago but it just seemed so buggy with the camera and control system that I gave up after 2 hours.

This time around, I did lots of research to fix all that crap. Fixed the terrible mouse jank. Updated the graphics to the max including FSAA; the game looks great! I'll try and post some screenshots when I get home. The shooting mechanisms are still a little wonky, but I think I can finally enjoy the story.

I started as a Recruit and am going through the various tutorial stages right now. After gaining that first level, I put two points into sabotage and one point into martial arts. Sabotage should make the horrible computer hacking part easier and I’m going to try and use martial arts so I don’t have to rely on guns. Excited to keep playing this now!

Patryn

I’ve had this game on Steam for way over a year now. I remember trying it a while ago but it just seemed so buggy with the camera and control system that I gave up after 2 hours.

This time around, I did lots of research to fix all that crap. Fixed the terrible mouse jank. Updated the graphics to the max including FSAA; the game looks great! I'll try and post some screenshots when I get home. The shooting mechanisms are still a little wonky, but I think I can finally enjoy the story.

I started as a Recruit and am going through the various tutorial stages right now. After gaining that first level, I put two points into sabotage and one point into martial arts. Sabotage should make the horrible computer hacking part easier and I’m going to try and use martial arts so I don’t have to rely on guns. Excited to keep playing this now!

If you're going to try martial arts as a recruit.... just telling you now: Be prepared to be frustrated.

It's possible, but you've chosen the hardest class to start as (because you lose at least 21 upgrade points going recruit), and using the most difficult offensive weapon in the game.

Also: If you're going martial arts, please think about putting points in stealth or you'll really be screwed.

Clydefrog

If you're going to try martial arts as a recruit.... just telling you now: Be prepared to be frustrated.

It's possible, but you've chosen the hardest class to start as (because you lose at least 21 upgrade points going recruit), and using the most difficult offensive weapon in the game.

Also: If you're going martial arts, please think about putting points in stealth or you'll really be screwed.

duly noted. thanks, man.

i assume i can't go 100% martial arts and will need some gunskill. but i will accept the challenge!

Ferrio

Banned

I went martial arts/stealth in my only playthrough in this game. It was a cakewalk. Stealth is so overpowered.

LQX

Just finished this game. Easily now one of my favorite games this gen. I have good 25 hours in and I'm pretty sure its suppose to be good 10 hour or so game normally.

If this game was named Metal Gear Solid the reviews would be through the roof. Speaking of MGS, I think this as a stealth games 1Ups it in every category except maybe coolness. If you love MGS4 for the stealth factor I think you will also love this game.

Recommendations:
Max out Pistols (chain shot is an amazing thing), easily the deadliest weapon.
Put only two points into sabotage to make hacking easier.
Don't waste your money.
Moscow first. I did it last and hate that I missed out on some nice story.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Recommendations:

You shouldn't be going through the locations one by one though, but rather go between all three. Do a few missions here, then a few in another, then a few in another, etc. Knowing certain NPCs in one location may affect reputation/interaction in another. No real missing out on story this way either.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just finished this game. Easily now one of my favorite games this gen. I have good 25 hours in and I'm pretty sure its suppose to be good 10 hour or so game normally.

If this game was named Metal Gear Solid the reviews would be through the roof. Speaking of MGS, I think this as a stealth games 1Ups it in every category except maybe coolness. If you love MGS4 for the stealth factor I think you will also love this game.

Recommendations:
Don't waste your money.
Wouldn't call AP a successful stealth game but I like that it has some kind of "old-school" thing in which it's very much like a puzzle game, until you completely break it with invisibility and permanent enemy markers.

It's easily the best of the gameplay systems, if you ignore the dialogue/reactivity, which single-handily makes the game. AP is amazing if you let yourself love it :)

Clydefrog

Dossier this, Dossier that. Pretty fun game so far. I think I'm almost done with Saudi Arabia. Might have to trim my beard after this.

Hambone

Seeing this thread pop up warms my heart. I'm probably going to reinstall it now...

i-know-that-feel-bro.jpg

That's the first thing I thought when I saw this this thread. I love popping in here, and reading new player impressions.

My last run was veteran, asshole (maybe even psychopathic) Thorton, who shot first, and asked questions later. Shotguns and grenades were my preferred weapons of choice. Loud and proud. Needless to say, some people are not happy with the way I handled certain missions. ;)

Must...resist...playing....again.

Dresden

Pistols (and the ability to pop Chain Shot on bosses + being able to line up criticals from cover) make things easy.

I went Pistol / Stealth / Technical Aptitude, and the last, with Brilliance to reset cooldown on Shadow Operative, made a lot of frustrating sections easy. (Last few bosses spoiler)
Darcy or whatever his fucking name was went down like a chump--went invisible, grabbed the sniper rifle, popped him in the head a few times.

Damn, that
Brayko
boss was a nuisance! Great fight though :)

For some reason I found that fight hilarious.

I think my biggest disappointment with the game was that I didn't see much more of Sis.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think my biggest disappointment with the game was that I didn't see much more of Sis.
Totally. I loved her to death, it's such a crime she doesn't get more screen time. I have hopes that AP sold so bad SEGA will sell the IP back to Obsidian for pennies.

Dresden

Totally. I loved her to death, it's such a crime she doesn't get more screen time. I have hopes that AP sold so bad SEGA will sell the IP back to Obsidian for pennies.

We can dream. ;____;

I started a second playthrough soon after the first (intending to go brute Shotgun / Toughness), but just didn't have the energy for it. Shotguns are fun after going stealth the whole time, though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I never gave her a chance to do anything except point guns at me.

Kudos to Obsidian to not be afraid to cut out a reasonably major arc based on your choices.

Clydefrog

I never gave her a chance to do anything except point guns at me.

Kudos to Obsidian to not be afraid to cut out a reasonably major arc based on your choices.

yeah same here. she came out of nowhere and started shooting and I was like "who the hell is this? oh well, DIE"

Beat the game tonight! 16 hours of awesomeness. What a great little gem this turned out to be. Played as a recruit and ended up maxing pistols and toughness, with lots of martial arts thrown in and about 8 points of stealth, I think. The end battle was laughable but the game was so much fun! My favorite part was definitely the
fight with Brayko
. The game also has little bits of humor every now and then that just made me LOL. I will definitely replay this in the near future on that veteran level or whatever it is.

my many faces of Thorton
apgame_2012_06_16_15_qwbvc.png

apgame_2012_06_16_23_1yfrr.png

apgame_2012_06_19_20_bqc59.png

bonus pic (spoilers): http://i.imgur.com/EgLTe.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is there anyway to slow the timer down while I'm reading the subtitles? It seems like Obsidian wants to throw 20 damn text items (tutorial, subtitles, stances) on the screen and it's waaay too much to take in within the short little time available to make choices. I know they said something about Endurance/armor having an effect from the corner of my eye while reading the main headdude's subtitles at the time, but didn't catch all of it.

Also pissing Mina off with a comment about getting drunk and having sex with her to maintain my cover: worth it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Is there anyway to slow the timer down while I'm reading the subtitles? It seems like Obsidian wants to throw 20 damn text items (tutorial, subtitles, stances) on the screen and it's waaay too much to take in within the short little time available to make choices. I know they said something about Endurance/armor having an effect from the corner of my eye while reading the main headdude's subtitles at the time, but didn't catch all of it.

Also pissing Mina off with a comment about getting drunk and having sex with her to maintain my cover: worth it.
No, unfortunately there's no way to slow down the timer. It's kind of unforgiving for people who's english isn't their first language, but you learn to read faster as the game goes :p

nel e nel

No, unfortunately there's no way to slow down the timer. It's kind of unforgiving for people who's english isn't their first language, but you learn to read faster as the game goes :p

Yeah, it's a bit disconcerting, but keep in mind that it's similar to Mass Effect in that each stance is located in the same position, regardless of how the response sounds:

Suave: left
Aggressive: top
Professional: right
Unique*: bottom

*Unique being either recruit or veteran responses for the most part.

@clydefrog: Big YES on the burly bearded Thorton. I had a blast playing as Fidel Thorton.

TheSeks

Man, I'm pissing people off light, right, and center. I'm not even attempting to play Dick Shepard Thorton, either. It's just some of the most hilarious responses are the dick options. :/

Martial

Neo Member
Been wanting to play this game for a long time. It's like 13 bucks on amazon right now for the 360, should I go for it? I really like games with a story.

I haven't played a lot of rpgs, Mass Effect and a little bit of Fallout 3 are as close as I've gotten. All I know about this game is that it's a spy rpg, and I freaking love anything with spies.

Labadal

Been wanting to play this game for a long time. It's like 13 bucks on amazon right now for the 360, should I go for it? I really like games with a story.

I haven't played a lot of rpgs, Mass Effect and a little bit of Fallout 3 are as close as I've gotten. All I know about this game is that it's a spy rpg, and I freaking love anything with spies.

If story and characters are important to you, then you've come to the right place.

TheSeks

You can get it at Gamestop for $7, though. So why go Amazon other than loyalty?

Did the arms dealer mission in the Middle East. The elite soldier dude in the last room was pissing me off until I somehow was able to get behind him in plain sight (I guess that invisible 6 second perk DOES have a use now and then?) and JUDO-CHOP him.

Extorted the Arms Dealer. While arms trading is still going to happen in the region apparently intel can be gathered from him. Not sure if that's made him an ally but~

Patryn

You can get it at Gamestop for $7, though. So why go Amazon other than loyalty?

Did the arms dealer mission in the Middle East. The elite soldier dude in the last room was pissing me off until I somehow was able to get behind him in plain sight (I guess that invisible 6 second perk DOES have a use now and then?) and JUDO-CHOP him.

Extorted the Arms Dealer. While arms trading is still going to happen in the region apparently intel can be gathered from him. Not sure if that's made him an ally but~

The panic you go invisible ability? That thing's invaluable.

Piano

Banned
After playing it for a couple of hours over a year ago and forgetting about it in the last few days I've FINALLY been able to overcome the jank and start enjoying the hell out of Alpha Protocol.

Decided to pull up the OT to see what GAF had to say and...

No, whenever you leave a hub you keep your progress done there so far. It's best to jump between all the locations rather than try to finish them one by one.

Whoops. I've been doing all of the Rome missions in order. Guess I'll switch now?

Recommendations:
Don't waste your money.

Double whoops. Been investing in sabotage, though I guess on second thought it doesn't seem that useful.

Triple whoops, I went to Rome first.

And what's a waste of money? I've been buying almost all available intel.

TheSeks

The panic you go invisible ability? That thing's invaluable.

No, but that thing is invaluable given the janky stealth play the game has.

I'm talking the "go invisible so long as no one can see you" ability. It has a 6 second timer but I used it and ran right into the dudes face as he turned around and knocked him out.

I think I'm going to start investing in Pistols since investing in stealth doesn't seem to benefit much now that I have the awareness always on ability up.

That or Sabotage. Does Sabotage work on that circuit minigame because that shit sucks compared to the "find the packet" hacking mini-game.

Pakkidis

After playing it for a couple of hours over a year ago and forgetting about it in the last few days I've FINALLY been able to overcome the jank and start enjoying the hell out of Alpha Protocol.

Whoops. I've been doing all of the Rome missions in order. Guess I'll switch now?

Double whoops. Been investing in sabotage, though I guess on second thought it doesn't seem that useful.

The order you play the missions effect dialogue and story later on, don't worry about going to Rome first, the game is meant to be played the way you want.

With that said sabotage is not a good skill to invest.

If you want the game to be easy, pistol, stealth and technical make the game a cakewalk especially when you max all 3 out.

zkylon

zkylewd

I did everything pretty much like you in my first playthrough and it wasn't such big deal. The reason for doing Moscow first is that it has some nice repercussions, but nothing you'll miss. Follow your heart and you'll be fine ;)

Just make sure to put a few points into Chain Shot so you don't get stuck in a boss fight or something...

I'm talking the "go invisible so long as no one can see you" ability. It has a 6 second timer but I used it and ran right into the dudes face as he turned around and knocked him out.

I think I'm going to start investing in Pistols since investing in stealth doesn't seem to benefit much now that I have the awareness always on ability up.

That or Sabotage. Does Sabotage work on that circuit minigame because that shit sucks compared to the "find the packet" hacking mini-game.
Can't remember but I'm gonna bet YES, you throw an EMP 'nade and minigame solved.

TheSeks

Finished the Middle East. Question: Which people need to be friendly for the Thorton, Inc. trophy?

Patryn

Oh, the stealth button. That thing's both reality-breaking and game-breaking once you get it to the highest level. At that point, I would run into a room of like 6 guys and just take them all out without any of them seeing me. And I mean I would literally RUN, since at that point nothing will break the stealth effect.

Finished the Middle East. Question: Which people need to be friendly for the Thorton, Inc. trophy?

Just don't kill any story people, and accept/force any offer for them to work for you.

TheSeks

Just don't kill any story people, and accept/force any offer for them to work for you.

I told Albatross I didn't want his alliance, just his dossier info. Did I fuck up?

Also is there anyway to get through the SIE introduction mission in Moscow (at the trainyard) without an alert or killing people? Or am I going to have to go in all Rambo on these fools?

I may just fly to Rome to plant bugs and stuff and continue the Moscow later if not. I did the Albatross, get intel, and the boat mission in Moscow so far and it's opened up the main storyline mission but I don't want to do those until I've done these side-quests first.

Patryn

I told Albatross I didn't want his alliance, just his dossier info. Did I fuck up?

Also is there anyway to get through the SIE introduction mission in Moscow (at the trainyard) without an alert or killing people? Or am I going to have to go in all Rambo on these fools?

I may just fly to Rome to plant bugs and stuff and continue the Moscow later if not. I did the Albatross, get intel, and the boat mission in Moscow so far and it's opened up the main storyline mission but I don't want to do those until I've done these side-quests first.

I believe, yes. Yes, you did.

As for the trainyard, I can't recall. I think it's impossible and I actually was playing a little bit of it recently, and it seemed to me that it would randomly spawn guards at full alert status opposite of whatever path you're taking. You can tell they're spawned because if you go back and choose to go through the path that these guards were, there's suddenly nobody there.

It's probably my least favorite mission.

Labadal

I don't remember that section well, but I played the game without killing anyone.

TheSeks

OH MY GOD. I'm loving Steven Heck.

"Dear Steven,

Please shut the fuck up.

Sincerely yours, -Michael Thorton." After a long treasury conspiracy theory.

:lol

And his brand of "justice" is hilarious.

"Candy-dish!? What!?" (looks over) "Oh, that's where I kept my keys! You should've told me this earlier, Wen. Look what I almost made you drink! (holds bleach forward)"

TheSeks

I laughed so much when Heck told me he framed Wen for me.

I didn't even get that until you mentioned it. Now that conversation has taken a hilarious turn.

"I was tempted for a minute. But I like ya. So I told him to 'piss off,' and lit him on fire."

TheSeks

Finished. Fucked all the wimmenz (but Mina was my waifu at the end on the boat), SIE fucking me on the table was GeorgeTakeiOHMY.mp3 I can't believe the ESRB let Sega and Obsidian get away with bare legs and barely seen panties. At first glance it's like SIE is totally pantsless.

Anyway, got Ask Questions First, Shoot Later. No Thorton, Inc. Guess because I didn't take Albatross' over to join up up until later on when he became an "ally" but no friend. :/

Did convence Leland (who hated me from the get-go for saying the wrong things) to join forces with me because Halbech was going down and I spared peoples lives.

Spared Westbridge, but wanted to shoot him. :/

Spared (but punched him twice for Scarlet and my waifu) Henry but punched him out (and left him to die, I think).

Not too bad a ending for the character I played. Was totally silent ninja for a bit until I got the ninja achievement and then he went all Jack the Ripper on people and pistoling them in the head if they noticed him before the knife to the neck. :D

Did the game on recruit. Wonder how Veteran is... but I'm going to mop those trophies up later. P4U hits in a week. >_>

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Uhhh, you know that people do still come to this thread who haven't finished the game right? And that those would be pretty irritating spoilers to run into without warning?

Top Bottom