• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Always a new problem, fucking bed bugs!

Shantae

Banned
That was uncalled for especially when you already feel stressed and bad about this predicament. People do worse shit all day every day. There's probably at least one per week at your local laundromat trying to kill bed bugs so why give a fuck.

The last thing when dealing with shit is to hear that I am tainted and should be isolated, like everyone else is so pure despite not washing their filthy hands since several toilet sessions etc.

Hang in there OP and it will be solved soon enough and a distant memory.
Thanks, I appreciate the support ^_^

I know they tell you that you're better off not changing anything, I haven't been comfortable enough sleeping or spending time in my room. Not until we get the first treatment done anyway. So in the mean time, I've set up a command center on the kitchen table lol

8axVHZf.jpg

Fushitsusha

Banned

I know they tell you that you're better off not changing anything, I haven't been comfortable enough sleeping or spending time in my room. Not until we get the first treatment done anyway. So in the mean time, I've set up a command center on the kitchen table lol

8axVHZf.jpg
Looks mad comfy. Keep it up :messenger_fistbump:

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I didn't need the asshole attitude of some other previous posters
This woe is me bullshit attitude from you is exactly why people don't like interacting with you on here. We advised you from doing something stupid and you took offense to it and proceed to label us assholes. It's clear your stubborn ass isn't interested in advice, you're just interested in attention and sympathy from people.

Yes, but also no.

Bedbugs are spread through ridiculous logic like that. If you have an infestation it is your responsibility to lessen the spread of the scourge. Same as if you have a highly contagious virus it is your responsibility to help lesson the spread of said virus by staying home from work, washing your hands etc etc.

This woe is me bullshit attitude from you is exactly why people don't like interacting with you on here. We advised you from doing something stupid and you took offense to it and proceed to label us assholes. It's clear your stubborn ass isn't interested in advice, you're just interested in attention and sympathy from people.

Haha I assumed that remark was aimed at either you or me.

Shantae

Banned
And it's clear you're an asshole who thinks he knows it all. I was absolutely interested in advice, but not from some douchebag who thinks he needs to talk down to me. Go fuck yourself, and don't bother responding, cuz you're going on ignore.

Last edited:

badblue

I feel for you Shantae Shantae . I've had bed bugs 3 times in the past. It's been 15 years and I'm still a bit paranoid about getting them again since there is not really anything you can do to prevent them.

Of course precautions in public should be strived for but when 90% of people lack basic hygiene and common sense why can't you sometimes too...

You can be the cleanest person and still get bed bugs. All it takes is someone unknowingly infested to move bed bugs around on their clothes to various public places and another to sit there to catch them.

If you have an infestation it is your responsibility to lessen the spread of the scourge

You have to know you have them first. It's quite easy to not know you have them for a long while.

Fushitsusha

Banned
Bedbugs are spread through ridiculous logic like that. If you have an infestation it is your responsibility to lessen the spread of the scourge. Same as if you have a highly contagious virus it is your responsibility to help lesson the spread of said virus by staying home from work, washing your hands etc etc.
I agree, but too many don't do these things unfortunately so attacking him for doing the same like it's the most awful thing is not good for someone who's already dealing with anxiety and depression and probably is someone who thinks things more through than the average joe.

tl:dr: LOL YOU THINK PEOPLE ACTUALLY CARE TO DO ALL THAT?
You can be the cleanest person and still get bed bugs. All it takes is someone unknowingly infested to move bed bugs around on their clothes to various public places and another to sit there to catch them.
Absolutely, never stated otherwise. Newflash; people spread shit all the time, knowingly and unknowingly.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
And it's clear you're an asshole who thinks he knows it all. I was absolutely interested in advice, but not from some douchebag who thinks he needs to talk down to me. God fuck yourself, and don't bother responding, cuz you're going on ignore.
No I'm an "asshole" that has actually dealt with bedbugs successfully and tried to help, while you're an asshole throwing a tantrum on a message board because someone happened to be the slightest bit abrasive. I don't think the internet is right for you as you're clearly not equipped to handle it.

Shantae

Banned
I feel for you Shantae Shantae . I've had bed bugs 3 times in the past. It's been 15 years and I'm still a bit paranoid about getting them again since there is not really anything you can do to prevent them.

You have to know you have them first. It's quite easy to not know you have them for a long while.
Totally, this had to have been going on for weeks, and we were oblivious. Even when I started noticing getting bumpy itches on my ankles, I just thought I was getting irritation from the crappy socks I was wearing, cuz they were too tight. Not having any experience with this stuff made me not even think of that being the cause.

Every thing I've read online is it sounds so easy to get them, that it's a wonder that everyone doesn't have them.

Well we've been doing that. Also we didn't go to the laundromat...I didn't need the asshole attitude of some other previous posters, but we've taken everything and doing a cycle in the wash, with at least 2 cycles in the dryer. I read that that they didn't like water, because I was reading some article on whether or not showering helps get any potential thing off, and it said they didn't like water and can't really swim, so they drown.

It's been several days though, and we're all still sleeping in the living room, but we gotta wait until next Tuesday for that inspection which is driving me nuts. Even with lack of sleep, I had trouble sleeping on my own because I feel so uneasy about the thought of having this kind of infestation in the house. I had to take some Tylenol PM that finally knocked me out for the night last night.

I really just hate this whole situation, because it seems like no matter what we do, there's no certainty with any of it, so I'm afraid of doing anything now. I feel uncertain how long we'll have to keep up this business with our clothes being protected and washed every day (as opposed to just doing a load of laundry when its a reasonable amount in the hamper. I've come up to my room every day to take a peek with the flash light around corners, and surfaces, and walls, and after our cleanings, I still don't see anything in here, nor in the stair way or halls leading to my room. No idea if we maybe beat it while it was still early, probably not. When the inspection comes on Tuesday, I'm hoping that they do find something that needs to be treated, but I'm also afraid they won't find anything. If they don't find anything on their inspection, then I'll be afraid and paranoid they missed something. If they DO find something, I'll still be worried and uncertain how long it'll take to clear this problem out even with their treatments. These little fuckers already complicate my exceeding stressful life, and I just want to be rid of the problem so bad.

Only a few days ago, I was thinking about suicide yet again, and now this just adds more stress to my life. Might sound silly to some, but I just want to cry constantly.
I think it takes the eggs something like 10 days to hatch so if you aren't seeing any after "cleaning", you should be fine for now but it's still imperative you go through with the inspection from the exterminator. Keep your place heated and dry. Vacuum every day. You don't need to constantly wash your clothes in this situation but you do need to dry them first.

Other than that, just try to relax and listen to the advice not the insults.

Last edited:

Fushitsusha

Banned
No I'm an "asshole" that has actually dealt with bedbugs successfully and tried to help, while you're an asshole throwing a tantrum on a message board because someone happened to be the slightest bit abrasive. I don't think the internet is right for you as you're clearly not equipped to handle it.
Trying to help or not, the tone was very condescending which changes a whole lot. Like this quoted post of yours. Gotta get in a last snarky remark of how he is doing bad when it sounds like he is doing pretty good to me while waiting for professional help.

Last edited:

But he did know, he said he was going to take his stuff to the laundromat and wash it there. He was told he may not fully grasp the problem he has and that bringing his stuff to the laundromat will mean he is spreading it all over, his response was "those people are assholes".

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Trying to help or not, the tone was very condescending which changes a whole lot. Like this quoted post of yours. Gotta get in a last snarky remark of how he is doing bad when it sounds like he is doing pretty good to me while waiting for professional help.
"The chances of you spreading them are very high and I certainly advise against that. It takes a lot of heat to kill any eggs that may be in your articles of clothing and bedsheets, hence why they have to heat the whole house and nobody can be inside."

That's condescending to you? I respectfully disagree.

And of course I'm going to be snarky when I'm insulted for absolutely no reason.

Last edited:

Fushitsusha

Banned
Because that is a weak, lazy, defeatist attitude. Have some friggin self respect man. Do your part.
I do, more than them. If I use something public it leaves in better condition than previously. I can't say the same about 99% of others. Yet, you brand me a lazy defeatist for suggesting to relax a little, closer to the same level of average.
Then with all due respect, you have absolutely no perspective to add to this.
That's a reach.

Last edited:
"The chances of you spreading them are very high and I certainly advise against that. It takes a lot of heat to kill any eggs that may be in your articles of clothing and bedsheets, hence why they have to heat the whole house and nobody can be inside."

That's condescending to you? I respectfully disagree.

And of course I'm going to be snarky when I'm insulted for absolutely no reason.

The dude is told that bringing them to the laundromat is a horrible idea cause it will spread them all over. He responds with...
PxrqbjU.jpg

What answers is he really expecting here. Funny thing is be responds like this...
Nnuaz3I.jpg

And expects people, who are trying to inform him and help him, to just respond all casually to his abrasive responses? Come on.

Last edited:

Fushitsusha

Banned
How so? You stated you're hot interested in learning the entire story yet you're offering your opinion on whether or not my response to him was justified.
I know the story and it was a condescending tone that was uncalled for. I never mentioned you specifically in regards to that page, and if I have then it's an error on my part indeed.

Last edited:
Shantae Shantae

Dude, people want to help you, as much as random posts on a message board can help. I haven't been posting here for very long but there is a trend I have noticed with the threads you create and the way you respond in them. I don't care to go into the nit picky details of every circumstance but if I could distill most of these interactions into one word it would be: offputting.

You must realize that the dialogue you put out there and the way you respond can be offputting. I am not fully aware of what your current life problems are but I honestly wish you the best. Everyone has their shit. Everyone has their life throw curve balls at them, or just straight up shit all over them. The unfortunate part is each individual person must learn, through experience and growth, how to handle themselves when life turns to shit.

This is a stressful situation to be in for sure, you gotta learn to smile and laugh through the shit man. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but one day you have to look back and laugh at the annoying absurdity of it all.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

8axVHZf.jpg

You have bed bugs. You aren't suposed to be comfortable. You can move your set up elsewhere and use it during the day. If you don't sleep in the same location you are just spreading them and will make killing them harder, which will make you even more uncomfortable.

Shantae

Banned
You have bed bugs. You aren't suposed to be comfortable. You can move your set up elsewhere and use it during the day. If you don't sleep in the same location you are just spreading them and will make killing them harder, which will make you even more uncomfortable.
Well we fucked up and panicked, we don’t have any beds in the rooms to sleep there anymore.

Melon

Banned
And it's clear you're an asshole who thinks he knows it all.
Hey there pal, sorry to hear about the bedbug issue. Those fuckers suck. Had to deal with those when one of my dad’s coworkers stayed the night at our house and gave us those little demons. They’re super hard to get rid of, and your best bet is to hire a professional and keep your interactions with other people (who don’t live in your household) to as minimal as possible to avoid potential spreading elsewhere. I sincerely hope the situation clears up soon.

With that said, however, you really need to learn to not take shit so personally. Especially from people who were just trying to give you advice. You lashed out first, it only makes sense for the other party to retaliate. That’s how it works. I know shit sucks right now for you, but lashing out at people isn’t going to make the situation any better. It only leads to you isolating yourself even further because you’re pushing people away who are just trying to help. I don’t mean to sound rude, but it’s a pattern I’ve seen you doing. (Also I’m typing this on my phone, so sorry for any errors.) I know what it’s like to get super heated in the moment, especially when IRL issues have me on edge, but being hostile towards people isn’t going to get you anywhere. Again, it just pushes away the people you are trying to seek help/advice from.

Anyway, I hope those pesky little shits die off soon enough. Try and keep your head up.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Well today's been a busy day trying to sort out the problem. Looks like we got an inspection coming up next Tuesday, that's the soonest they could get. It's looking like I might not have to pay for it either, because the landlord made all the arrangements, which is a relief.

I went up to my room again, and have vacuumed like crazy, and gone all over the room with a flashlight now that the mattress is gone, and I still haven't spotted anything moving anywhere in the room. The only place I haven't gone through thoroughly is the closet, but from what I understand, they prefer being near where people are. I think I'm still gonna sleep on this futon I got on the floor in the living room in the meantime, but I'm starting to feel we'll get this problem solved eventually.

I got most of my clothes in plastic bags, and am gonna go to a laundromat tomorrow so I can do a bunch of loads at once. Heat and water seem to kill them, so after the washing, we're bringing along new plastic tote containers, and putting all the clean clothes in there. Gonna keep clothes seal in there, and anything worn on the day will go in the washing machine at home at the end of the day. God willing, we'll get through the week, the inspection will happen and they'll begin the first treatment shortly after.

From what I understand, the treatment involves doing a first chemical treatment..killing all the live bugs in the house. However, that doesn't include the eggs, so they'll come back in 14 days to do another run through to kill any hatched ones. Then another 14 days after that for a 3rd visit, which will hopefully have killed em all.

We still gotta get new beds, but we might wait til after the first treatment, in which case we'll be all sleeping on couch and futon in the mean time.
OP, it seems that the landlord is legally obliged to keep the place you rent in livable conditions,, get rid of pests. He might also have to take responsibilities for damages to your items.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
OP, it seems that the landlord is legally obliged to keep the place you rent in livable conditions,, get rid of pests. He might also have to take responsibilities for damages to your items.

Well I'm just grateful he seems to be paying for it. I did throw away some stuff, but I don't know if I care enough to bother. My current landlord only bought our place in the last year. We've had 3 landlords since I lived here.

Edit: one thing we're actually still kinda debating is if these were bed bugs for sure. I saw one in my room on the wall that I hadn't recogonized, and i assumed it was one of the bed bug, but when we did move our mattress, i do feel like the bugs that were on it were a lot bigger than what i saw on the wall, and were a notice light brown. If i was smart, i would have take pictures of these pest, but i am so scared around bugs, that i just freaked out. every time i look at pictures online, i can't really tell if they are the same thing i saw.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
Omg I feel for you. I think I have the same problem and I’m freaking out.
All I can say is if you can get an exterminator to come, do it asap. Don't make the mistake I did and start throwing out beds right away, because they tell you it's easier to treat them if they're isolated in the spots that they've settled in. Removing the beds like I did can make them hide in different places. They crawled up the walls, clung to the curtains, and behind poster frames, etc. If you're renting like I do, tell your landlord. My landlord is covering the exterminator fees which was a life saver.

Since I'm replying, might as well update what happened a little bit. We've had 2 out of 3 chemical treatments so far by the exterminator, and he says it's looking good. His last visit was last Friday, and he said he only found one bed bug on his whole search, and it was inside one of the traps he had planted on his first visit, so it's looking like they're dying out. Hopefully he finds zero on his last visit.

We've done everything he suggested. Dried all of our clothes and curtains on high heat, and cleaned them after drying. Keeping all of clothes out of the bedrooms for now until we're sure it's safe, and keeping them sealed up in plastic bins so that they can't get in them easily, which I don't think they will in the basement since there aren't any down there. We got new beds because like I said before, we paniced and threw them away. Got bed bug protecting encasements, so that if any do remain, they won't get inside the box spring or matress, but will be seen on the outside. Hoping they're not necessary, but better safe than sorry.

This whole situation has sucked and still makes me feel constantly itchy, mainly because of psychological reasons. We haven't seen any in the house for weeks now, and I'm slowly getting more comfortable in my room, but also staying vigilant. I'm hoping we are gonna be in the clear, because we were able to get on top of it fast.

Tasha

Neo Member
All I can say is if you can get an exterminator to come, do it asap. Don't make the mistake I did and start throwing out beds right away, because they tell you it's easier to treat them if they're isolated in the spots that they've settled in. Removing the beds like I did can make them hide in different places. They crawled up the walls, clung to the curtains, and behind poster frames, etc. If you're renting like I do, tell your landlord. My landlord is covering the exterminator fees which was a life saver.

Since I'm replying, might as well update what happened a little bit. We've had 2 out of 3 chemical treatments so far by the exterminator, and he says it's looking good. His last visit was last Friday, and he said he only found one bed bug on his whole search, and it was inside one of the traps he had planted on his first visit, so it's looking like they're dying out. Hopefully he finds zero on his last visit.

We've done everything he suggested. Dried all of our clothes and curtains on high heat, and cleaned them after drying. Keeping all of clothes out of the bedrooms for now until we're sure it's safe, and keeping them sealed up in plastic bins so that they can't get in them easily, which I don't think they will in the basement since there aren't any down there. We got new beds because like I said before, we paniced and threw them away. Got bed bug protecting encasements, so that if any do remain, they won't get inside the box spring or matress, but will be seen on the outside. Hoping they're not necessary, but better safe than sorry.

This whole situation has sucked and still makes me feel constantly itchy, mainly because of psychological reasons. We haven't seen any in the house for weeks now, and I'm slowly getting more comfortable in my room, but also staying vigilant. I'm hoping we are gonna be in the clear, because we were able to get on top of it fast.
It is sounding good for you! I’m happy for you!
I just moved from a basement apartment to a duplex. I was itchy at the basement. I thought maybe flea cause i have dogs. So I kept treating the house for fleas. The last night before I moved I found weird bug. I panicked too and threw out bed and a lot of boxes. But I’m scared I missed something and they quite possibly came with me. I’m paranoid. Constantly itchy and feels like things are crawling on me. I’m hoping if they are here I find one and go from there. I’m scared tho cause just like you I am broke. I think this landlord will be so mad and I will have to pay . They will probably want me gone too. I’m so depressed and anxious.
I bought a mattress protector and today I bought some totes.

lil puff

We got lucky with these fuckers.
It is go awful when you catch one crawling on you, and in my case they were doing it in the light, not just at night.

They are almost inevitable in an old building with cracks and gaps in the wall structures.
I think I caught them early, and I was not paying $1000s out of pocket.

I moved my bed, I had been storing all kinds of shit under there because we are short on storage.
I moved all of it dusted and cleaned everything. I know it's fake home remedy shit, but I sprayed lavender over mattress and threw out any linens we were using. Most of all I stopped draping sheets or covers to the floor. I'm much more careful about what we have in the room.

Crossing fingers, I have not seen one since.
Or maybe they are there and I don't know it. Ignorance is bliss.

Shantae

Banned
Shantae Shantae :

I'm sorry I've been out of the loop for a while, but I just wanted to say- I hope you are doing well, and the year gets better with every passing day. ❤
I'm sorry I haven't kept in touch as much either. I haven't been visiting here as frequently or talking as much, because there's just been a bit too much negativity that I would rather avoid. I can't wait til I get over some of these burdens in my house.

At least you can see them though. I always thought they were microscopic
Some of them are. The eggs are about the size of a grain of salt I guess. The nymphs are pretty small too, and hard to tell what they are from a distance. The adults are probably the easiest to see, because they look like a small brown beetle almost. Fucking disgusting things. Freaks me out knowing all the bumps I got on my ankle was bites from them probably. Even when bites are obvious, I just didn't put two and two together for a long time.

Crossing fingers, I have not seen one since.
Or maybe they are there and I don't know it. Ignorance is bliss.
Keep looking in places that are not obvious. Look under pillows, look around the edge of the beds. Look in creases, they can nest inside a crease, it's gross. Also look for signs of activity like around the base boards. They shed their skin a lot, or leave fecal matter that look like black spots. You can see that easily on white sheets, but I've also seen the spots a lot the base boards that they used to travel. You can kinda get a sense what areas of the room they've traveled if you can find the black spots around the base board. For example, the exterminator showed me that my closet was most likely safe and clear because there was no activity along the woodwork of them traveling near it. They don't fly, or jump and can't travel easily on certain surfaces, so you can kinda get an idea of where they are or where they've been by looking at certain areas.

Top Bottom