• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I Missing Something? Shouldn't the Mafia I Remaster Make Us Optimistic About the Upcoming GTA Trilogy Remasters?

Bluecondor

There seems to be a lot of skepticism on here regarding the GTA remasters/remakes. While this is understandable given the lack of information, gameplay videos or pictures, I have to admit that I was impressed with 2KGames' recent remaster of Mafia I.

While the gameplay in the Mafia I remake was a reminder of how outdated the game is (in terms of being surpassed by two decades worth of similar games), 2KGames definitely put forth a great deal of effort into recreating the city and the characters. After playing it, I honestly thought that this remastered city of Lost Heaven would be really fun for a game like GTA: Online.

The Mafia I remaster even has a similar title (Mafia: The Definitive Edition vs. Grand Theft Auto - The Trilogy: The Definitive Edition).

I am sticking with a hope/expectation that I stated in another thread back in January. Mafia I level remake/remasters of GTA III Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas would both generate a ton of cash/hype from single player GTA fans, and then could generate a wealth of new content for GTA-Online. I could see Rockstar releasing the remade/remastered trilogy and then doling out LC, VC and SA in hyped GTA Online updates with new online missions, etc.

When you think about it, Rockstar needs a new hook to get us excited about continuing on with GTA Online on the PS5 and Xbox. Making these cities playable in GTA-Online (following the remaster), would just print money. I haven't played GTA-Online in years, but I would fire it back up just to buy some properties and businesses in LC, VC and San Andreas.

This said, I do see people's points about the inclusion of mobile ports being a red flag, but it does seem hard to believe that the PS5 version would be identical to the mobile edition, etc. Of course, if the Trilogy does end up being a cheap "coat-of-paint" remaster, then I was completely fooled here.

What do you think? Is it too much to expect Mafia I level remasters of GTA III (Liberty City), Vice City and San Andreas?

Bragr

Banned
The Mafia remake was great, apart from the 321408234083245082340582305783420 0348509345803485 90348530245803294 0934850394258 43295+04359 30495349934\2042304 235497342957 73457340875 3089475 3425074508 7430 02375340875 bugs in the game.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Too much pessimism, I agree.
These GTA remasters will be the best thing Rockstar has done for close to a decade.
Bored To Death What GIF

Brigandier

People are expecting this GTA trilogy "repack and price increase" I mean remaster to be a full on remake???

😂 😂 😂

Sorry I don't share your enthusiasm, I'm surprised we're not getting a GTAV Xmas 2021 edition

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
This thing has red flags all over it. First trailer didn't had footage. Old versions will be removed just before launch. They literally ported 3 games to over 5 plattaforms in a little more than 3 years while still doing a engine change in the process made by a just acquired studio. How? It simply doesn't add up.

8BiTw0LF

Banned

stranno

Yes. It is Rockstar.

Aside the XBOX port of Grand Theft Auto III, their ports are usually very lacking. And, on top of that, they are new to Unreal Engine 4 (their first non in-house tech). So.. yeah, it will probably be their worst job ever.

Remaster and remake are two very different things. I’m willing to bet that Rockstar will allow for modern resolutions, maybe touch a couple of textures up and modify the controls slightly. I’m pretty sure the graphics will be basically the same. It’s coming to mobile and Switch so keep your graphical expectations in line with those platforms.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
The whole "It's coming for mobile" argument is plain stupid. My phone from last year is way faster than a PS4. On top of that - Unreal Engine 4 is probably the easiest engine to scale games in, so that's why we'll get PC, last-gen and new-gen versions at the same time and mobile versions next year. There will be differences across-the-board.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
The whole "It's coming for mobile" argument is plain stupid. My phone from last year is way faster than a PS4. On top of that - Unreal Engine 4 is probably the easiest engine to scale games in, so that's why we'll get PC, last-gen and new-gen versions at the same time and mobile versions next year. There will be differences across-the-board.
It'll probably be very similar to the old games. They are replacing the current trilogy, not adding the remasters in addition to those.

kiphalfton

You're comparing apples to oranges. Mafia I was one game and GTA Trilogy is obviously three games. That and Rockstar has made it 100% clear they are doing the bare minimum now.

Most realistic/reasonable people are thinking "Am I missing something? Considering GTA V has been released three generations in a row, how are there still people who are optimistic about the Upcoming GTA Trilogy Remasters?"

kiphalfton

Oh yeah that's right. Everybody has the same phone you do, or a better phone than that, that is "faster than a PS4".🙄

For people too lazy. Remaster uses same engine. Remake uses new engine.

Edit: GTA: Trilogy DE uses new engine btw...

No. Please stop posting, since it's obvious you don't know wtf you're talking about.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Optimistic? Rockstar?

sakuya-laugh.gif

They treat their old games like trash. I fully expect this remaster/remake/whatever to be still missing songs and probably censored to some degree "to fit modern audiences".

Not to mention they aren't simply releasing a remaster, they're also removing the much cheaper and moddable OG games.

Last edited:
Real question: will it be worse than The Witcher 3 for PS5? I feel like those two are going to be that huge! 🍿

I have an iPhone 12 and don't expect PS5 graphics level since the size of downloads will for long be an issue.

Bluecondor

Mafia remake was great. Got the plat. I have no idea how that game, which was made by a completely different studio, published by someone else, should give me any hope about what they’re doing here.
Wait - isn't 2KGames part of Take Two Interactive (the parent company of Rockstar)?

From Wikipedia -

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. is an American video game holding company based in New York City and founded by Ryan Brant in September 1993.

The company owns two major publishing labels, Rockstar Games and 2K, which operate internal game development studios. Take-Two created the Private Division label to support publishing from independent developers and more recently announced a new internal studio for the label called intercept Games. The company also formed Ghost Story Games which was a former 2K studio under the name Irrational Games. The company acquired the developers Socialpoint, Playdots and Nordeus to establish itself in the mobile game market. The company also owns 50% of professional esports organization NBA 2K League.[2] Take-Two's combined portfolio includes franchises such as BioShock, Borderlands, Grand Theft Auto, NBA 2K, and Red Dead among others.

Anyway, the parent company notwithstanding, I see your point about these being different studios and publishers (Rockstar and 2K). My hope is that Take Two's oversight could possibly use the experience from the Mafia remake to help guide Rockstar's remake effort for the Trilogy.

Or - perhaps it is as you describe, with Take Two merely being the parent company, with Rockstar and 2K each running their own studios and own publishing labels, with no interaction whatsoever between Rockstar and 2K.

Still though, just looking at the Mafia series, the game certainly looks and plays similar to older GTA games, so it does at least appear that there has been some influence or even collaboration between Rockstar and 2K.

i would love rockstar to do some bluepoint type remaster on GTAV but its pretty clear all we are getting is the next notch on the PC game settings and more microtransactions

Bryank75

Banned
I literally just finished Mafia remake the night before last....never played it originally. Enjoyed the story, a bit predictable but still enjoyable.... controls a bit dated though.

I am cautiously optimistic about the remasters.... I sincerely hope it is more than a bump in resolution and fps, it needs way way more than that if they are charging 70 for it.

Bluecondor

I think you need to learn the difference between a remake and a remaster before trying to argue your case.
Come on. We all clearly know the difference between remake and remaster. I'm just trying to drum up some optimism for the Trilogy because I have such fond memories of the three games.

I am completely aware of the fact that this could be a minimalist upgrade of the three games, with soundtracks that are a shell of the originals due to licensing nightmares, on a bare bones platform that is designed to work on low-end smartphones as well as the PS5.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
No. Please stop posting, since it's obvious you don't know wtf you're talking about.
Ouch...NO!
A remaster is done within the same engine - assets are upscaled, framerate optimized and so on. Examples of remasters done in the same engine as the originals: Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Crysis Remastered Trilogy, Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection.

A remake is done by changing to a newer engine (not backwards compatible with older engine), so any assets have to be made through scans or from (newer) engine assets, either made from the ground up or from community-based assets. Examples of remakes: Demon's Souls (2020), Mafia: Definitive Edition, Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Canadian Comedy GIF by CBC

MrJTeera

I wonder how much they’ll change from Renderware to UE4, or will it just be the same as mobil-

Hold up a minute! Did you just said you want them to bring GTA Online to the old games?

What’s the matter with you? I cannot comprehend that you would genuinely want that garbage to be added to these classics?

Breath new life? You’d suffocate them with it.

Bluecondor

A remaster is done within the same engine - assets are upscaled, framerate optimized and so on. Examples of remasters done in the same engine as the originals: Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Crysis Remastered Trilogy, Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection.

A remake is done by changing to a newer engine (not backwards compatible with older engine), so any assets have to be made through scans or from (newer) engine assets, either made from the ground up or from community-based assets. Examples of remakes: Demon's Souls (2020), Mafia: Definitive Edition, Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Wow - these are great points and examples.

So, according to the Trilogy announcement, these are definitely remasters, correct?

All three games "will feature across-the-board upgrades including graphical improvements and modern gameplay enhancements for all three titles, while still maintaining the classic look and feel of the originals."

Bluecondor

I wonder how much they’ll change from Renderware to UE4, or will it just be the same as mobil-

Hold up a minute! Did you just said you want them to bring GTA Online to the old games?

What’s the matter with you? I cannot comprehend that you would genuinely want that garbage to be added to these classics?

Breath new life? You’d suffocate them with it.
LOL! That's a fair point. The trolls and whales would ruin the nostalgia.

That said, I don't know about you, but I often look at some of the older game worlds and wonder what it would be like to bring these game worlds back for online play (like the beautifully rendered 1940s L.A. in L.A. Noire).

Lol not necessarily. Assets can be ported over from old engine and made to work within UE4. So, textures, models don't need to be "remade". Sure UE4 will allow some better materials and physics and other benefits, but we have zero evidence to suggest this is a remake.

Which leads me to the OPs question. Right now, there is not much reason to get excited. Not screenshots, no trailers, no gameplay. We have no idea how will it look. And in addition, the company made a few moves that limits the choice of consumers: taking out the old versions from stores, pc version only available via RGS.

Big publishers doesn't deserve our benefit of the doubt. I strictly go by the mantra of "assume it's a moneygrab unless proven otherwise". Shrug

Top Bottom